Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

9/11

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

15 years ago today since the terrorist attacks on the world trade centre and the Pentagon. Plus not forgetting the United flt93.

2,996 lost their lives that day.

Please don't turn this thread into a bitchfest. Just remember the lives lost and comment in memory of the day.

I was pregnant with my first born. I watched in horror as it all unfolded and being pregnant I was scared for the world I was bringing my daughter into.

Xxx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Very sad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"15 years ago today since the terrorist attacks on the world trade centre and the Pentagon. Plus not forgetting the United flt93.

Please don't turn this thread into a bitchfest. Just remember the lives lost and comment in memory of the day.

I was pregnant with my first born. I watched in horror as it all unfolded and being pregnant I was scared for the world I was bringing my daughter into.

Xxx"

I was out walking my dogs on the beach at new Brighton, I got a text to turn on the news! Remember listening on the radio until I got home and then watching it on the news just speechless

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

You know, I was at a house party n LA in 2004? and holding forth about how, if you looked at the last 60 yrs of american foreign policy in the Middle East, support for Israel blah blah... you could kinda, maybe, possibly understand how the WTC attacks happened.

That went down like a fart in a space suit.

The host of the party said, "Stop right there!" and went away and returned with a package, brown paper, bubble wrap, layers down to an A4 clip frame with grey dust, dirt? inside.

OK?, says I.

The host says, "I was in NYC when the attacks happened and that night we crept down under police lines and I collected this out of the air and I want you to have it."

Well that shut me up.

over a year ago

I was at work and the first I heard about it was when a client I was on the phone to told me about it!

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

It doesn't seem that long ago does it?

My first son was just 4 weeks old and my best friend was giving birth. I felt the same.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"You know, I was at a house party n LA in 2004? and holding forth about how, if you looked at the last 60 yrs of american foreign policy in the Middle East, support for Israel blah blah... you could kinda, maybe, possibly understand how the WTC attacks happened.

The host of the party said, "Stop right there!" and went away and returned with a package, brown paper, bubble wrap, layers down to an A4 clip frame with grey dust, dirt? inside.

OK?, says I.

The host says, "I was in NYC when the attacks happened and that night we crept down under police lines and I collected this out of the air and I want you to have it."

Well that shut me up."

But it's not a justification

over a year ago

I was on my way to college for my 3rd day of induction, we were supposed to go to manston airport for a team building exercise. R.I.P all those who lost their lives on this tragic day

over a year ago

"You know, I was at a house party n LA in 2004? and holding forth about how, if you looked at the last 60 yrs of american foreign policy in the Middle East, support for Israel blah blah... you could kinda, maybe, possibly understand how the WTC attacks happened.

OK?, says I.

Well that shut me up."

Bloody hell.

My bro used to go on business trips to wtc. Now his work is mainly Europe based. Xxx

over a year ago

"It doesn't seem that long ago does it?

My first son was just 4 weeks old and my best friend was giving birth. I felt the same. "

I'm glad they learn about it in school. Xxx

over a year ago

I had a free afternoon from college and went to my mates house and his dad just said very little and pointed at the tv. I remember I was meant to go home and get a work shirt but got sidetracked watching it and went to my evening job in my normal clothes and my boss didn't care one bit and said he didn't blame me just zoning out and watching.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

OK?, says I.

Well that shut me up.

But it's not a justification"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm3d43HLyTI

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

My first son was just 4 weeks old and my best friend was giving birth. I felt the same.

I'm glad they learn about it in school. Xxx"

Yes me to. No doubt they will talk about it tomorrow x

over a year ago

Has anyone been to ground zero. I have its haunting, As a retired fireman and a Secretary of the retired firemans association my dad presented a wreath to the surviving firefighters of the ladder company 10 right across the street from the world trade centre

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Has anyone been to ground zero. I have its haunting, As a retired fireman and a Secretary of the retired firemans association my dad presented a wreath to the surviving firefighters of the ladder company 10 right across the street from the world trade centre"

It's shit

over a year ago

I'm glad they learn about it in school. Xxx

Yes me to. No doubt they will talk about it tomorrow x"

Yes H and I have just watched united93 xxx

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Has anyone been to ground zero. I have its haunting, As a retired fireman and a Secretary of the retired firemans association my dad presented a wreath to the surviving firefighters of the ladder company 10 right across the street from the world trade centre

It's shit"

It's like two scars in the middle of the city and the Freedom Tower is rubbish.

I expected better.

By *arksMan
over a year ago

in the centre

I was on the way home from work and heard about it on the radio , then turned the tv on and just spent the rest of the day gobsmacked at what was happening

over a year ago

I was lifting some floorboards at work. It came on a newsflash on TV when the first plane hit. Me my then boss and the customer all stood round the TV. We all turned to each other and said gotta be a terrorist attack. What unfolded was surreal. Like a disaster movie.

over a year ago

"Has anyone been to ground zero. I have its haunting, As a retired fireman and a Secretary of the retired firemans association my dad presented a wreath to the surviving firefighters of the ladder company 10 right across the street from the world trade centre

It's shit

I expected better."

I'm glad they didn't build on the footprints xxx

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

It's shit

I expected better.

I'm glad they didn't build on the footprints xxx"

They should have done, it's just morbid

over a year ago

I was at work as an aircraft technician, just come off lunch and was working inside a 767. Radio 2 on the wireless, and the interruption of the news of the first aircraft. Straight away we fell quiet, muttering about it being a horrid accident. Then number two happened and we knew the world was changing... Within 7 months I had been made redundant due to the aircraft industry slowing, reservists were being called up, and I had mates in the services headed to war.

Whatever happened that day or since - it's a day that'll stay with me forever.

over a year ago

It's shit

I expected better.

They should have done, it's just morbid"

I disagree. Xxx

over a year ago

Was moving house and had everything packed into van and as we drove between old and new house turned on the radio just after the 1st plane had hit the TT. As we listened the 2nd plane hit! The first thing we did when we arrived st the new house was to grad the telly rush inside, plug it to see the news! Litterally as turned it on! The first tower collapsed! Trully jaw dropping moment! The most seminal moment made all the more real as we were watching it LIVE! The tallest building in the world had just collapsed, we all watched 1000's of people die! Sickens me right to my stomach, innocent people

RIP ALL INVOLVED thanks for reminding me, had a busy day it had slipped my attention it was 9/11. Will take a few moments to consider all of innocent peple who needlessly died that day and their loved ones

Jayx

over a year ago

It's shit

I expected better.

They should have done, it's just morbid

I disagree. Xxx"

Ditto. I've been twice recently, last November being the latest. It is a solemn point, but for people to go somewhere to remember or mourn, it is quite beautiful. At night time is it is breathtaking.

I really enjoyed the 102 floor presentation, and forgetting 9/11, the view over NYC is amazing.

over a year ago

I was out with my mum and son who would have been two. My mum came out of a shop saying she'd heard something about a plane going into a building on the radio in the shop so I rang my husband at work to ask what he'd heard.

Anyway, my mum, my son and I went back to my home. My mum and I were glued to the TV much to my sons disgust as he wanted to watch Cbeebies!

over a year ago

I was in a French lesson at school, we all piled into one class to watch the news on a tiny wee TV. Seems much more recent.

I found ground zero a weird experience. I went before they'd built anything but the two big holes in a busy city were really eerie.

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

A good friend of mine who I had worked with whilst serving on the QE2 was the restaurant manager of 'The windows of the world' restaurant and was on duty that day, he wouldn't have had a cat in hell's chance poor bugger.

over a year ago

"A good friend of mine who I had worked with whilst serving on the QE2 was the restaurant manager of 'The windows of the world' restaurant and was on duty that day, he wouldn't have had a cat in hell's chance poor bugger. "

I'm sorry to hear that.

On another note my mum n dad have been on the QE2 xxx

over a year ago

Its going to be surreal i am in New York next for work and will be working at the new WTC

over a year ago

"Its going to be surreal i am in New York next for work and will be working at the new WTC "

I wish you good luck. Xxx

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I have told this story before, i had flown back from JFK 2 days earlier....

it was actually my first day working for american express....

we had heard it was a little prop type plane had crashed into the World Trade Centre....

they called everyone in the room after the 2nd plane hit, and asked anyone with friends and relatives in NYC if they wanted to take the rest of the day off... i didn't take them up on it at that point... but as soon as the building fell they did send people home

I was so lucky to not lose any family as a lot of them walked home from manhattan over the bridges,and then got subways...... i almost ended up being the point person as it was easier for people to contact me here and find out what was going on then it was to contact them..(the TV and Radio antennas were on top on WTC1... so as soon as it got hit people didn't have and TV/radio... and for some reason i managed to basically contact almost everyone within an hour to 90 minutes via texts as opposed to everyone trying to ring...

did lose 6 damn good friends, 3 who worked for morgan stanley, and 3 who worked for cantor fitzgerald...

going back for those funerals was one of the hardest things i have ever done

over a year ago

"I have told this story before, i had flown back from JFK 2 days earlier....

it was actually my first day working for american express....

we had heard it was a little prop type plane had crashed into the World Trade Centre....

they called everyone in the room after the 2nd plane hit, and asked anyone with friends and relatives in NYC if they wanted to take the rest of the day off... i didn't take them up on it at that point... but as soon as the building fell they did send people home

I was so lucky to not lose any family as a lot of them walked home from manhattan over the bridges,and then got subways...... i almost ended up being the point person as it was easier for people to contact me here and find out what was going on then it was to contact them..(the TV and Radio antennas were on top on WTC1... so as soon as it got hit people didn't have and TV/radio... and for some reason i managed to basically contact almost everyone within an hour to 90 minutes via texts as opposed to everyone trying to ring...

did lose 6 damn good friends, 3 who worked for morgan stanley, and 3 who worked for cantor fitzgerald...

going back for those funerals was one of the hardest things i have ever done"

Hugs xxx

By *laytimenowMan
over a year ago

Essex

OK?, says I.

Well that shut me up.

But it's not a justification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm3d43HLyTI"

You should of looked to see if any papers said

CORRUPT ENRON DEALS .

By *romleycouple 400Couple
over a year ago

bromley

We will never forget that day our first born baby girl we were so shocked when we saw it on tv in hospital but sum good on a sad day xx

over a year ago

I was at work. One of our colleagues called our office and told us what was happening. I remember reeling in shock, our boss told us all to go home. A truly horrific day.

I was at the top of the towers at 930 on Sept 11th the year before. It must have been absolutely terrifying for those involved

By *ildbillkidMan
over a year ago

where the road goes on forever

I was at work, we were out in the "yard" somebody had a transitor radio when it came on, usually you'd hear planes going over or see the contrails, that afternoon the absence and the eerily quiet , where everything just stopped

By *ampWithABrainWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

I was home with my baby girl. News flash interrupted tv schedule. At first it was thought to be an accident I remember but then the 2nd hit and it all went nuts. I was married to a serviceman at the time and living on base and the sirens went off n everyone was called in. Husband called to tell me to stay at home keep the news channel on and that he had no idea when he'd be home.

Was a very worrying time for service families not just that day but the days and weeks after too.

Condolences to those who lost people. Friends of mine did and I think the hardest thing for them was the lack of confirmation of a few as sometimes at first they weren't sure where people were.

over a year ago

I came home from school for lunch and seen it one the TV was my second or first week of school x

over a year ago

Secondary

over a year ago

I saw it happening on Sky news as it unfolded, we could not believe what we were seeing. A daughter has been to ground Zero. XXX

over a year ago

It was a sad day that the entire World will never forget

no words can describe grief felt that day.

By *cobMan
over a year ago

here

I was in NYC over the weekend before and was due to fly back out to the UK on the Thursday but ended up stuck there for nearly another week as the country went into lockdown.

I don't think there is anyone that wasn't moved by the horrific events on that day!

Everytime I now go I still feel sadness around the WTC site.

over a year ago

OK?, says I.

Well that shut me up."

Why, you opening paragraph was on the right lines. 9/11 was horrific but an atrocity like it was was predictable because of US foreign policy, which hasn't changed one iota.

over a year ago

"15 years ago today since the terrorist attacks on the world trade centre and the Pentagon. Plus not forgetting the United flt93.

Xxx"

So sad R.I.P xxxx

I'm scared for the world I'm bringing my bubba into now xx

By *al2001Man
over a year ago

kildare

OK?, says I.

Well that shut me up."

Why did that shut you up? Explosions everywhere leaves lots of dirt and dust

By *cduck and Blue eyesCouple
over a year ago

nr chester

It's shit

I expected better."

. Do you know what joe, my dad always used to say' if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all' whilst I respect that you are perfectly entitled to speak out on an open forum in the same way someone else is, sometimes it would be nice if you actually thought about what you're typing, instead of always being full of your own self importance and your right to speak your mind i apologise to you pretty tied up, as I realise I have now not taken my dads advice and have done what you requested us not to do, and for that I'm truly sorry sweetheart Mrs blue eyesxxxxx

over a year ago

I was at home watching the tv and suddenly the news came on and they showed what was happening with the twin towers as things was unfolding live, many lives was lost RIP.

over a year ago

I was sailing from Crete on the way to Oman. We briefly saw the towers collapse before we lost tv signal then we had a comms blackout as we transited the Suez Canal. First Warships through after the tragedy. Sad days, never the same after that.. 5 Iraq tours and 2 Afghan ones annnd a cheeky trip to Libya before i left.

By *piritsonfabCouple
over a year ago

Nottingham

I was in France with my husband and 3yo daughter, headed home in the car after a holiday. Pulled over for fuel and saw the second plane hit live.

God what a horrible day. I remember sobbing when seeing those poor people jumping hand in hand.

Post new Message to Thread