Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Where do you stand on grey squirrels?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Saw someone feeding them in the park today. Rats with tails or cute little Nutkins? Personally, I am with Prince Charles. Poor little reds... (although I am sure some I see are hybrids - greys are getting redder)

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've never stood on one.

Ewwww squishy

Reply privately

over a year ago

I detest this 'rats' with wings/bushy tail pish.

WE CAUSE THINGS TO BECOME PESTS

instead of demonising/vilifying animals..

we should look at ourselves.

Reply privately

over a year ago

They have as much right to live as humans do

Reply privately

By *axandbooCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

We have some talented ones in bristol.

Its great fun watching the mug people for nuts

Reply privately

over a year ago

Our cats find them tasty.

Reply privately

over a year ago

On the tail

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I've never stood on one.

Ewwww squishy "

No. Me either. That would be a kink too far.

Reply privately

over a year ago

also bleating on about conservation..we killed off some of our most beautiful british animals.

Reply privately

By *he Queen of TartsWoman
Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

It's the black squirrels you need to watch out for, pretty aggressive and ballsy apparently, been a few reports of them attacking dogs.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Personally, I am with Prince Charles."

Who gives two shits, the aristocracy love find excuses to butcher our wildlife.

Personally I find grey squirrels adorable, I even feed them by hand.

Reply privately

over a year ago

They are cute till they come near me....then they can fuck off x

Reply privately

By *aughty_amazonWoman
over a year ago

BRISTOL

"On the tail "

I was gonna say on the head

Reply privately

over a year ago

Grey squirrels aren't the reason for the decline of red squirrels we are. We destroyed the majority of the habitat they live in but the grey squirrel is more adaptable.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Fluffy rats. But it's not their fault...they're an invasive species so should never have been introduced to Britain

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Personally, I am with Prince Charles.

Who gives two shits, the aristocracy love find excuses to butcher our wildlife.

Personally I find grey squirrels adorable, I even feed them by hand."

Reply privately

over a year ago

Interlopers!

I would much rather see more reds.

There's enough killing in this world though for our enjoyment so let's leave them to it now they're here.

Eradicating invading species to further the good of natives is a minefield and has to be done right or it can have adverse affects.

As with the American fresh water crayfish. People are taking too many of the big old males giving the chance to the younger ones.

It has a counter intuitive effect.

Reply privately

By *atural-born-thrillerMan
over a year ago

oulton broad

They cause chaos on my walks with the bound round the park ....they seem to wait till your distracted and just sit there teasing the husky till he thinks fcuk that and lunges towards them ...next thing you know your either off to a&e with a dislocated shoulder or on your arse with a grey squirrel grinning at you licking his nuts a safe distance away or up on a tree branch ....X

Reply privately

over a year ago

They are a pest. They bully red squirrels the poor things

Reply privately

over a year ago

Used to love watching the grey squirrels in castle park frodsham. So relaxing watching them scamper about. Xxx

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Grey squirrels aren't the reason for the decline of red squirrels we are. We destroyed the majority of the habitat they live in but the grey squirrel is more adaptable."

no..we must blame the animals

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Eradicating invading species to further the good of natives is a minefield and has to be done right or it can have adverse affects."

Kind of interesting how much this sounds like Donald Trumps presidential campaign...

Something I often like to ask people, is how their thoughts on culling/eradicating unwanted 'vermin/pests/parasites' from the system suddenly sound when you apply them to people rather than animals.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Saw someone feeding them in the park today. Rats with tails or cute little Nutkins? Personally, I am with Prince Charles. Poor little reds... (although I am sure some I see are hybrids - greys are getting redder)"

I don't stand on them that's just cruel

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think they're both cute

Reply privately

over a year ago

as far as I am aware, the area in which I live was never a stronghold for red squirrels so the grey ones have as much right to be here as any other wildlife...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Here we go. I'm Donald Trump all of a sudden.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They are a pest. They bully red squirrels the poor things "

Only where there are red squirrels, which is not very many places x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They are a pest. They bully red squirrels the poor things

Only where there are red squirrels, which is not very many places x"

Yes. Greys are bigger and stronger. So in Red lands, they torment the poor creatures

Reply privately

over a year ago

While I know that I might be sounding all liberal animal luvvieduvvie, I know sometimes we have to intervene...but our interventions have often come at the back of our ineptitude and arrogancy.

leave a bag of rubbish lying outside and it'll attract something hungry..who do I blame for that..or what?(add a bigger factor into that analogy and what do we get?)

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Here we go. I'm Donald Trump all of a sudden.

"

It's not a personal attack, just see the similarity.

Anyway, whilst we're talking about invaders, if they should be culled or kicked out for not being indigenous, then we're all doomed for being descended from Normans, Saxons, Romans and anyone else who liked the look of this muddy little island for the past couple of thousand years, how many people in England can claim to honestly be of Pictish origin?

Populations move around a lot in nature.

Reply privately

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

Only where there are red squirrels, which is not very many places x"

Because the imported grey squirrels have eradicated them from everywhere else .

Reply privately

By *asokittyWoman
over a year ago

Nr Worksop

Humans are the biggest pests out there. Shame we can't cull those.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There are two I see sometimes on the way into town, I thought they might have gone as they demolished a big building right next to their tree. Luckily they are still there, I love to see them. It's great to see wildlife about. You cannot compare them to rats, that's not a balanced argument. X

Reply privately

over a year ago

Vermin

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Eradicating invading species to further the good of natives is a minefield and has to be done right or it can have adverse affects.

Kind of interesting how much this sounds like Donald Trumps presidential campaign...

Something I often like to ask people, is how their thoughts on culling/eradicating unwanted 'vermin/pests/parasites' from the system suddenly sound when you apply them to people rather than animals."

I like crayfish. They taste nice. Defra won't issue licences now though because of the issues I raised above.

I tried to apply for one.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anyway, whilst we're talking about invaders, if they should be culled or kicked out for not being indigenous, then we're all doomed for being descended from Normans, Saxons, Romans and anyone else who liked the look of this muddy little island for the past couple of thousand years, how many people in England can claim to honestly be of Pictish origin?

Populations move around a lot in nature."

as do the continents.....

Reply privately

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

"Grey squirrels aren't the reason for the decline of red squirrels we are. We destroyed the majority of the habitat they live in but the grey squirrel is more adaptable.

no..we must blame the animals "

It was the beavers fault, they cut down coniferous woodland to make their dams...

Reply privately

By *eovilcouple76Couple
over a year ago

yeovil

Being brought up in a part of the country that was full of Red Squirrels and seing their numbers dramatically affected by the greys, I detest them.

Hence the reason why I shoot as many of them as I can.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm as English as they come, my name proves it

Muhammad MacTavish-Jones.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Because the imported grey squirrels have eradicated them from everywhere else ."

So you think we should get rid of them then because there used to be red ones?? The red ones have been gone in most places for decades, what do you suggest kill all the grey ones and put red ones back?

I like the grey squirrels in my area, I would rather see a grey squirrel than NO squirrel.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Some nasty people on here today, living in the past.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm very lucky to have seen red squirrels in the wild, in the lake district

however, I also like to watch the grey squirrels leaping from tree to tree from out of my kitchen window...

its all nature

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Some nasty people on here today, living in the past. "

Onwards and upwards

Reply privately

over a year ago

Populations move around a lot in nature.

as do the continents....."

Well there you go, if even LANDMASSES emigrate sometimes then why can't organic life?

Reply privately

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

Luckily we are free of grey squirrels here; only red ones.

Quite a few living in my trees.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Because the imported grey squirrels have eradicated them from everywhere else .

So you think we should get rid of them then because there used to be red ones?? The red ones have been gone in most places for decades, what do you suggest kill all the grey ones and put red ones back?

I like the grey squirrels in my area, I would rather see a grey squirrel than NO squirrel.

"

as said above, its nothing to do with OUR impact on our environment is it?..red squirrels would be likely the 'pest' if it was for the grey being more dominant.

bring everything in, industrialization,deforestation,climatechange(as a nature photographer,I have seen a lot of shifts in animal behaviour,locations), factor it all in...and we share a huge majority of the cause.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Grey squirrels aren't the reason for the decline of red squirrels we are. We destroyed the majority of the habitat they live in but the grey squirrel is more adaptable.

It was the beavers fault, they cut down coniferous woodland to make their dams...

"

its nothing to do with coniferous woodland....both red and grey squirrels eat oak acorns so where oak trees grow in a forest then you are more likely to find grey and red squirrels.... but only grey squirrels can extract the proteins from acorns better than red squirrels can, and that's why grey squirrels seem to do better

Reply privately

over a year ago

its nothing to do with coniferous woodland....both red and grey squirrels eat oak acorns so where oak trees grow in a forest then you are more likely to find grey and red squirrels.... but only grey squirrels can extract the proteins from acorns better than red squirrels can, and that's why grey squirrels seem to do better"

phoar sexy and knoweldgeable

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm more concerned with the gut wrenching news I heard yesterday that if you wanna see a male northern white rhino alive you better hurry, the last one on earth hasn't long to live.

Kind of pales everything else into insignificance for me and makes me feel like we're losing the Battle.

More political sanctions are in order I think to preserve what we have.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm more concerned with the gut wrenching news I heard yesterday that if you wanna see a male northern white rhino alive you better hurry, the last one on earth hasn't long to live.

Kind of pales everything else into insignificance for me and makes me feel like we're losing the Battle.

More political sanctions are in order I think to preserve what we have. "

And DNA sample everything - if we can't stop them dying out, maybe one day we can bring them back.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm more concerned with the gut wrenching news I heard yesterday that if you wanna see a male northern white rhino alive you better hurry, the last one on earth hasn't long to live.

More political sanctions are in order I think to preserve what we have. "

I'd hunt for food...but trophy hunters/buyers...fucking sick cunts.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'd hunt for food...but trophy hunters/buyers...fucking sick cunts."

Yep, hunting and butchering animals for pleasure/sport is the mark of a truly vile mind - another reason to despise our 'upper' classes.

Reply privately

over a year ago

We've got 1 that comes in the back door and helps itself to the dog or cat food. The dog and cat are terrified of it. Cheeky little sod.

Reply privately

By *ENDAROOSCouple
over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

We have lots round by us.

I like watching them, they're rather cute and funny.

I vaguely remember a thread quite a while back now that someone started about grey squirrels. They way it was described they needed ASBOs.

Reply privately

By *uddlybear2015Man
over a year ago

BEDFORD

"It's the black squirrels you need to watch out for, pretty aggressive and ballsy apparently, been a few reports of them attacking dogs."

Little ninja buggers! Loads where I work,and black rabbits...don't bear thinking about!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'd hunt for food...but trophy hunters/buyers...fucking sick cunts."

I would too and have. Hunting for food will be around, and has, for millennia.

Making 100 million Chinese men (and others) realise that eating the equivalent of toe nail clippings isn't going to make them a stud, that's a whole new ball game.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I detest this 'rats' with wings/bushy tail pish.

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not on their nuts, they really hate that.

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

love squirrels, leave nature alone

Reply privately

over a year ago

I do culls on different estates all over the country so best say nowt

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I love all wildlife, but it was fun watching ma Border Collie going mental when there was a squirrel up a tree out of his reach in ma back garden

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I do culls on different estates all over the country so best say nowt "

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

"I do culls on different estates all over the country so best say nowt "
pity you don't do it to humans, theres an overpopulation of them too..id perfer that being honest..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I do culls on different estates all over the country so best say nowt pity you don't do it to humans, theres an overpopulation of them too..id perfer that being honest.."

Start with the jeremy vile crowd...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I do culls on different estates all over the country so best say nowt pity you don't do it to humans, theres an overpopulation of them too..id perfer that being honest.."

Bit flippant, lol but I know what you mean, humanity and it's meteoric rise to stardom has fucked this planet royally.

I've seen it with my own eyes unfortunately.

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

"I do culls on different estates all over the country so best say nowt pity you don't do it to humans, theres an overpopulation of them too..id perfer that being honest..

Start with the jeremy vile crowd... "

we will make a list

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

"I do culls on different estates all over the country so best say nowt pity you don't do it to humans, theres an overpopulation of them too..id perfer that being honest..

Bit flippant, lol but I know what you mean, humanity and it's meteoric rise to stardom has fucked this planet royally.

"

humans fuck with nature all the time, they should stop playing god and get with the planetary program...imo

Reply privately

over a year ago

They're just as cute and cuddly as the reds. I live in one if the few remaining strongholds for the reds and the poor greys get a really bad time. To my knowledge they do t actually attack the reds, they are just stronger so they compete for food etc which drives the refs away or they starve. It's just natural selection. Leave the poor buggers alone I say

Reply privately

over a year ago

humans fuck with nature all the time, they should stop playing god and get with the planetary program...imo"

As I said. I couldn't agree more.

Read my posts.

Not sure that's a good argument for genocide though haha or shooting people coz they annoy you on telly.

Compassion works all ways lol.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's sad that the greys have driven the reds away but isn't that just nature? Survival of the fittest? Adapt or die? I'm sure the reds have enough safe places now that given enough time they will evolve either bigger or faster or learn how to use weapons

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

humans fuck with nature all the time, they should stop playing god and get with the planetary program...imo

Read my posts.

Not sure that's a good argument for genocide though haha or shooting people coz they annoy you on telly.

Compassion works all ways lol. "

yeah thats why depopulation strategies are in place now anyway..get everyone sick so they can die off 'naturally' don't be naive...

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

"It's sad that the greys have driven the reds away but isn't that just nature? Survival of the fittest? Adapt or die? I'm sure the reds have enough safe places now that given enough time they will evolve either bigger or faster or learn how to use weapons "
jadi squirrels taking up residence in the city parks,, they look pretty but fight crime on saturday nights..i like it

Reply privately

over a year ago

Read my posts.

Compassion works all ways lol. yeah thats why depopulation strategies are in place now anyway..get everyone sick so they can die off 'naturally' don't be naive..."

Did you mean to post that on the conspiracy theories thread?

Coz I was kind of agreeing with you

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

Read my posts.

Compassion works all ways lol. yeah thats why depopulation strategies are in place now anyway..get everyone sick so they can die off 'naturally' don't be naive...

Coz I was kind of agreeing with you "

no you were talking compassion i was talking whats already in place that wouldn't be considered 'compassionate'xx

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

Read my posts.

Compassion works all ways lol. yeah thats why depopulation strategies are in place now anyway..get everyone sick so they can die off 'naturally' don't be naive...

Coz I was kind of agreeing with you no you were talking compassion i was talking whats already in place that wouldn't be considered 'compassionate'xx"

any way back to squirrels..ive been a squirrel in my dreams before now..that was fun x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Read my posts.

Coz I was kind of agreeing with you no you were talking compassion i was talking whats already in place that wouldn't be considered 'compassionate'xxany way back to squirrels..ive been a squirrel in my dreams before now..that was fun x"

You didn't bury your nuts did you?

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

If management of the greys would support the reds recovering, then I'd be open to exploration of grey management options. I'm an animal lover and major supporter of our environmen. Our reds have declined too much, compared to earlier levels.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I would suggest you stand on the tail it's the most stable part, but wear good boots cos the bite hard...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Non indigenous vermin simple

Reply privately

over a year ago

Usually under tree with a shotgun

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Non indigenous vermin simple "

Same can be said for rabbits, carp, cows, sheep, horses, many spiecies of dear, almost all garden plants and of course humans.

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

Read my posts.

Coz I was kind of agreeing with you no you were talking compassion i was talking whats already in place that wouldn't be considered 'compassionate'xxany way back to squirrels..ive been a squirrel in my dreams before now..that was fun x

You didn't bury your nuts did you? "

i think i was licking lots of em

Reply privately

over a year ago

Perhaps I could have phrased the title better! Apparently Brownsea Island is a haven for the red squirrel. I have never seen one anywhere though. Any other haunts?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Perhaps I could have phrased the title better! Apparently Brownsea Island is a haven for the red squirrel. I have never seen one anywhere though. Any other haunts?

"

Yes utterly so!

Love it there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Perhaps I could have phrased the title better! Apparently Brownsea Island is a haven for the red squirrel. I have never seen one anywhere though. Any other haunts?

"

They survive in mostly isolated pockets I believe the biggest being near the wirral?? I may have that wrong.

There's definitely reds in the new forest.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes utterly so!

Love it there."

Scouting for boys?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I try to stand on their tails....then hit them over the head with a shovel!

Reply privately

By *horltzMan
over a year ago

heysham

My dog is scared of them

Reply privately

over a year ago

They survive in mostly isolated pockets I believe the biggest being near the wirral?? I may have that wrong.

There's definitely reds in the new forest. "

It is "near" the Wirral. It's actually around Formby...North of Liverpool. However Anglesey is a designated Red Squirrel area. There is a bounty on any Greys.....last I heard they hadn't paid out lately and the Greys pretty much all gone. Don't think they could swim Menai Straits?

Reply privately

By *antasticMrsFoxMan
over a year ago

Exeter

Little fuckers dig up my perfect lawn........

Reply privately

over a year ago

Only reds here on the island. If a grey is spotted it has to be reported to squirrel watch. Lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 09/09/16 18:26:13]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Only reds here on the island. If a grey is spotted it has to be reported to squirrel watch. Lol"

I meant to say.

Even if they made it past the NAB tower without my mate shooting them with his speargun, the currents would still get em

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Only reds here on the island. If a grey is spotted it has to be reported to squirrel watch. Lol

I meant to say.

Even if they made it past the NAB tower without my mate shooting them with his speargun, the currents would still get em "

Strangely people have been caught smuggling them in cars on to the ferries. Why I have no idea. Some weirdos out there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not on the neck, you'd probably kill the poof wee thing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Only reds here on the island. If a grey is spotted it has to be reported to squirrel watch. Lol

I meant to say.

Even if they made it past the NAB tower without my mate shooting them with his speargun, the currents would still get em

Strangely people have been caught smuggling them in cars on to the ferries. Why I have no idea. Some weirdos out there. "

Really? Lol Jealous probably If they can only see greys then everyone else has to.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Little fuckers dig up my perfect lawn........ "

They got into a house near me that had been left empty for a while. Trashed the place apparently. A cautionary tale.

Reply privately

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

I have one that sits on my bird table and eats the food. I gently shoo it away.

Reply privately

By *arry247Couple
over a year ago

Wakefield

Nuke them

Reply privately

By *icksfocusMan
over a year ago

Pontefract

There's some great ones in thorns park

Reply privately

over a year ago

I used to enjoy Watching them out the back when the house that backs on to me had there huge trees, sad to see them go when the trees were felled but there are still lots around here.

I hate my drive to work tho because I find myself doing my best to not run them over.

I enjoy seeing all wild animals around.

Reply privately

By *esiderataWoman
over a year ago

St Helier

Only red ones here - they like nuts as much as i do

Reply privately

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

I try not to stand on them they can be vicious little bastards

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/14/grey-squirrels-attack-child-cornwall-tehidy-country-park

Grey carry a virus they are fairly immune too but it is often fatal for reds.

They also destroy my crops...

Everything dies. Frankly when I add high velocity lead to their bodies resulting in an instant death, I am doing them a favour. Rarely in life do organisms go to sleep feeling healthy one evening and just not wake. The reality of the natural world is most wildlife dies slowly, in pain, over a significant period of time. The end comes about through disease, predation or starvation.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I always stop and say hello to Cyril the squirrel x

Reply privately

over a year ago

They're quite tasty

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They're quite tasty "

That's what my cat was probably saying as he feasted on the one he killed this morning!

Reply privately

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

"Saw someone feeding them in the park today. Rats with tails or cute little Nutkins? Personally, I am with Prince Charles. Poor little reds... (although I am sure some I see are hybrids - greys are getting redder)"

All animals are invaders to the island. The time they got here and the method is not relevant. They are nice enough. Leave them be.

Reply privately

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

"They're quite tasty

That's what my cat was probably saying as he feasted on the one he killed this morning! "

That a brave cat. Dog lost the frr from nose when he cornered one in the barn.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Invading vermin and destroying our native wildlife.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They're quite tasty

That's what my cat was probably saying as he feasted on the one he killed this morning!

That a brave cat. Dog lost the frr from nose when he cornered one in the barn. "

He has been picking them off one by one all summer, the one this morning was about half his size. Ruthless!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I meant to say.

Strangely people have been caught smuggling them in cars on to the ferries. Why I have no idea. Some weirdos out there. "

That'll be us, just over the water from you. We're calibrating our squirrel launcher which we're hoping to market as a viable alternative to clay pigeon shooting.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

There used to be a kill on sight policy on grey squirrels, due to them effecting the red squirrels.

Reply privately

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

"There used to be a kill on sight policy on grey squirrels, due to them effecting the red squirrels."

I maintain that policy

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Saw someone feeding them in the park today. Rats with tails or cute little Nutkins? Personally, I am with Prince Charles. Poor little reds... (although I am sure some I see are hybrids - greys are getting redder)

All animals are invaders to the island. The time they got here and the method is not relevant. They are nice enough. Leave them be."

I'm sure there were some here before we were an island. I vaguely remember something about Doggerland having all sorts of interesting fossils.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They're quite tasty

That's what my cat was probably saying as he feasted on the one he killed this morning! "

My old man fetched me one back from the shoot he used to go to (someone shot it for some reason or other) as i wanted to try one...bit of squirrel in red wine with a few veggies and whatnot...was bloody lovely

Reply privately

over a year ago

they taste like hedgehog crisps

Reply privately

over a year ago

Certainly not me. I come from Scottish (celtic) and viking heritage on my dad's side. Also have germanic, Danish, Swedish, Italian and sicillian on my mum's side. So I'm definitely not of Pictish origin at all!

M

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't want to stand on them , poor things

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't want to stand on them , poor things "

Not just me that thought this then. Thank goodness

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I try not to stand on them they can be vicious little bastards

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/14/grey-squirrels-attack-child-cornwall-tehidy-country-park

Grey carry a virus they are fairly immune too but it is often fatal for reds.

They also destroy my crops...

Everything dies. Frankly when I add high velocity lead to their bodies resulting in an instant death, I am doing them a favour. Rarely in life do organisms go to sleep feeling healthy one evening and just not wake. The reality of the natural world is most wildlife dies slowly, in pain, over a significant period of time. The end comes about through disease, predation or starvation.

"

never heard so much SHITE in my life as a justification for killing wildlife.

why not just admit you like KILLING things.

Reply privately

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

"Invading vermin and destroying our native wildlife."

Are you talking about humans?

We have done much more damage than any squirrel.

How do you think red squirrels got here?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Definitely rats with fluffy tails. When we lived in London we'd often see them rummaging around in the bins. I didn't think squirrels are fried chicken but then it was south London after all.

Reply privately

By *uckandbunnyCouple
over a year ago

In your bed

Too bloody quick for me to stand on.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I love seeing them scamper past as I'm cycling along. Not as much as voles though

Reply privately

over a year ago

Leave them be they are part of our nature

and i happen to love seeing them out and about

Reply privately

over a year ago

live & let live

Reply privately

over a year ago

Having seen a real red squirrel, got to dislike the grey ones.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I've never stood on one.

Ewwww squishy

No. Me either. That would be a kink too far. "

On their nuts

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Wouldn't it be easier to run over them in the car?

I saw one beat up my cat* once.

I don't think people should feed them but being cruel to them isn't necessary either.

*long dead so no cat sympathy needed.

Reply privately

By *appyguy17Man
over a year ago

walthamstow

"Where do you stand on Grey Squirrels" ?

on their heads ...preferably !.....they keep nicking stuff out of my garden.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You have to admire their agility and ingenuity though. No bird feeder is safe from their attentions! My hanging nuts certainly weren't.

Reply privately

By *eryBigGirlWoman
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

I love watching squirrels and would a garden that attracted them but my cat might disagree. Have to admit though I'm a lover of the red ones more though as they're so much cuter

Reply privately

By *tuartb1970Man
over a year ago

tunbridge wells

I agree with some of the comments above there is far too many humans over populating this planet and fucking it up

Best to start a cull there, I can think of a few candidates lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Fluffy rats. But it's not their fault...they're an invasive species so should never have been introduced to Britain "

Agreed, shame because they are cute. Though reds are cuter, just more reclusive.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I live near a place that is fondly known as squirrel park. Dogs also love the park. Children walk by on their way to school only to be greeted with the site of Fido decapitating nutkins!! Nature is a beautiful thing!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Grey squirrels are an invasive, non native species and they are responsible for transmitting the squirrelpox virus which is only harmful to the nature to the native red squirrel population.

It is perfectly legal to control them using the appropriate methods as I do.

There might be an element of habitat destruction by human actions but largely the introduction of the greys is to blame.

Reply privately

over a year ago

*sight

Go back to school Pillows!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hopefully not on them unless you want someone to call RSPCA :-/

Reply privately

over a year ago

I happen to love squirrels of all ethnicities. Sadly for the red the grey bought disease with it and reduced it's numbers to virtually zero. I don't blame the grey, I blame the people who introduced them. I enjoy the grey whenever I see them because for all intents and purposes it's all we have.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I happen to love squirrels of all ethnicities. Sadly for the red the grey bought disease with it and reduced it's numbers to virtually zero. I don't blame the grey, I blame the people who introduced them. I enjoy the grey whenever I see them because for all intents and purposes it's all we have."

It's not all we have at all! There still are red squirrel populations which are continuing to suffer directly because of the greys!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I happen to love squirrels of all ethnicities. Sadly for the red the grey bought disease with it and reduced it's numbers to virtually zero. I don't blame the grey, I blame the people who introduced them. I enjoy the grey whenever I see them because for all intents and purposes it's all we have.

It's not all we have at all! There still are red squirrel populations which are continuing to suffer directly because of the greys!"

I said for all intents and purposes it's all we have. Which means that because the numbers of reds are so small most of us will never see a red in our back garden.

MrWho.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I happen to love squirrels of all ethnicities. Sadly for the red the grey bought disease with it and reduced it's numbers to virtually zero. I don't blame the grey, I blame the people who introduced them. I enjoy the grey whenever I see them because for all intents and purposes it's all we have.

It's not all we have at all! There still are red squirrel populations which are continuing to suffer directly because of the greys!

I said for all intents and purposes it's all we have. Which means that because the numbers of reds are so small most of us will never see a red in our back garden.

MrWho."

With the greys being controlled properly it gives the reds the chance to flourish which is happening on farms and estates all over Scotland certainly just now

Reply privately

over a year ago

MrWho.

With the greys being controlled properly it gives the reds the chance to flourish which is happening on farms and estates all over Scotland certainly just now "

Yes but it will be decades, if ever, that we start seeing reds.

I'm quite happy simply enjoying the greys.

They're also very tasty so maybe people should kill and eat them if they don't like them. That too would help the red.

Reply privately

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I feed them in the cemetery round from work. One in particular used to come sit on my knee while I took photos of her.

Reply privately

over a year ago

best place to stand on one would be up a tree

Reply privately

over a year ago

Start with the jeremy vile crowd... we will make a list "

pm me the list

Reply privately

over a year ago

MrWho.

With the greys being controlled properly it gives the reds the chance to flourish which is happening on farms and estates all over Scotland certainly just now

They're also very tasty so maybe people should kill and eat them if they don't like them. That too would help the red."

A bit like rabbit? Do you know from experience? Jugged perhaps?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I said for all intents and purposes it's all we have. Which means that because the numbers of reds are so small most of us will never see a red in our back garden.

MrWho."

That was always the problem, those reds are stuck up litle gits that refused food if it meant going into gardens, and eating bird food.

then the little fluffy eared tree hoppers wouldn't have sex if anyone was within earshot let alone risk getting seen, so they gave up having kids and positively handed the whole scene over to the brash entertaining grey squireles without a fight.

sod em I say let them live in their exclusive hideaways, we don't need them

Reply privately

By *uby0000Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

i love squirrels

Reply privately

over a year ago

I like them not to eat tho !

I also think they are getting Redder !

Reply privately

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"also bleating on about conservation..we killed off some of our most beautiful british animals."
This one the grey squirrel is not a native but originally comes from north america it should of stopped there when they are not a native usually nature does not have a niche for them to operate/survive from even when the common wolf which was a native at one time it lost its niche before 1700 due to human population levels and habitat destruction even the brown bear which was another native here a long time ago its niche as long gone and safer in that respect it only takes common sense to get to grips with reality.

Reply privately

over a year ago

cats aren't native to the UK either.

and they're evil.

Reply privately

over a year ago

MrWho.

They're also very tasty so maybe people should kill and eat them if they don't like them. That too would help the red.

A bit like rabbit? Do you know from experience? Jugged perhaps?"

Pie actually.

MrWho

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

So where do you stand on the Edible Dormouse (Glis Glis)?

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

I used to eat quite a lot of squirrel. They are a bitch to skin though.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"I used to eat quite a lot of squirrel. They are a bitch to skin though. "

Was it like trying to get really tight gloves off the end of their paws?

Reply privately

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I realise they have wreaked havoc on the reds etc. but they are still ever so cute

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"I used to eat quite a lot of squirrel. They are a bitch to skin though.

"

Haha! No, you'd cut the limbs at the first joint so it would come off at all. They don't seem to haver much fat, so the skin is tight - the opposite to rabbits. Skinning a rabbit is like peeling a banana.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Haha! No, you'd cut the limbs at the first joint so it would come off at all. They don't seem to haver much fat, so the skin is tight - the opposite to rabbits. Skinning a rabbit is like peeling a banana. "

I'm trying to imagine eating squirrel legs and arms (like wings and thighs on a chicken). It all seems a bit fiddly for me.

Just give me lamb cutlets.

Reply privately

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

"also bleating on about conservation..we killed off some of our most beautiful british animals.This one the grey squirrel is not a native but originally comes from north america it should of stopped there when they are not a native usually nature does not have a niche for them to operate/survive from even when the common wolf which was a native at one time it lost its niche before 1700 due to human population levels and habitat destruction even the brown bear which was another native here a long time ago its niche as long gone and safer in that respect it only takes common sense to get to grips with reality."

All animals are invaders. They all came from somewhere.

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

Haha! No, you'd cut the limbs at the first joint so it would come off at all. They don't seem to haver much fat, so the skin is tight - the opposite to rabbits. Skinning a rabbit is like peeling a banana.

I'm trying to imagine eating squirrel legs and arms (like wings and thighs on a chicken). It all seems a bit fiddly for me.

"

There isn't much meat on a squirrel - it feeds one, whereas a rabbit feeds two. Most of the meat is on the back legs/saddle.

Reply privately

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"So where do you stand on the Edible Dormouse (Glis Glis)?

"

Introduced by the romans this little fella seems not to bother any one at all has found its niche here after 2000 years successfully and they are not everywhere in fact I have never seen one in the wild I think their charming creatures to look at.

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"also bleating on about conservation..we killed off some of our most beautiful british animals.This one the grey squirrel is not a native but originally comes from north america it should of stopped there when they are not a native usually nature does not have a niche for them to operate/survive from even when the common wolf which was a native at one time it lost its niche before 1700 due to human population levels and habitat destruction even the brown bear which was another native here a long time ago its niche as long gone and safer in that respect it only takes common sense to get to grips with reality.

All animals are invaders. They all came from somewhere. "

It's funny, you never get people bleating on when its something non-fluffy like the signal crayfish (which is a similar situation).

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

There isn't much meat on a squirrel - it feeds one, whereas a rabbit feeds two. Most of the meat is on the back legs/saddle."

I eat rabbit but it's not that easy to get in London unless you have it in a restaurant or go to Borough Market (or another 'artisan' type market).

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

There isn't much meat on a squirrel - it feeds one, whereas a rabbit feeds two. Most of the meat is on the back legs/saddle.

I eat rabbit but it's not that easy to get in London unless you have it in a restaurant or go to Borough Market (or another 'artisan' type market).

"

It's one of those things thats everywhere, but difficult to buy. The butchrs in the village where I grew up started selling rabbits, and apparently (according to my mum and dad), they wanted £4 a pop for them, I nearly fell over! I've never paid more than 50p for one and most of the time people will give them to you, if you haven't shot it yourself.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Introduced by the romans this little fella seems not to bother any one at all has found its niche here after 2000 years successfully and they are not everywhere in fact I have never seen one in the wild I think their charming creatures to look at."

They are breeding extensively (like rabbits) and causing problems in Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire. They strip trees, eat through cabling and move into people's homes.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"

It's funny, you never get people bleating on when its something non-fluffy like the signal crayfish (which is a similar situation). "

They're delicious too.

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"

It's funny, you never get people bleating on when its something non-fluffy like the signal crayfish (which is a similar situation).

They're delicious too.

"

Yep. It seems not to upset the delicate when you eat them either.

Personally, I can't see the difference, if you eat meat, how can you possibly have a problem with eating from the wild larder? I gues it means you are happy to have someone else do your killing for you and never take that responsability on your own shoulders.

Reply privately

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

Introduced by the romans this little fella seems not to bother any one at all has found its niche here after 2000 years successfully and they are not everywhere in fact I have never seen one in the wild I think their charming creatures to look at.

They are breeding extensively (like rabbits) and causing problems in Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire. They strip trees, eat through cabling and move into people's homes. "

Not good thou it has taken them 2000 years to get this far I wonder how much damage the grey squirrel would have done in that time period ?

Reply privately

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"

They're delicious too.

Personally, I can't see the difference, if you eat meat, how can you possibly have a problem with eating from the wild larder? I gues it means you are happy to have someone else do your killing for you and never take that responsability on your own shoulders. "

Wood pigeon is a dark meat like rabbit I,ve had hare in the past a number of times but prefer watching them now days when my dad was around I sampled all those meats.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

They're delicious too.

Personally, I can't see the difference, if you eat meat, how can you possibly have a problem with eating from the wild larder? I gues it means you are happy to have someone else do your killing for you and never take that responsability on your own shoulders. Wood pigeon is a dark meat like rabbit I,ve had hare in the past a number of times but prefer watching them now days when my dad was around I sampled all those meats."

Squirrel pie, perhaps with chestnuts and a rich gravy...!

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"

They're delicious too.

Personally, I can't see the difference, if you eat meat, how can you possibly have a problem with eating from the wild larder? I gues it means you are happy to have someone else do your killing for you and never take that responsability on your own shoulders. Wood pigeon is a dark meat like rabbit I,ve had hare in the past a number of times but prefer watching them now days when my dad was around I sampled all those meats."

"Flightless partridge"

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nowhere! Never wanted to stand on any squirrel!

Reply privately

By *eovilcouple76Couple
over a year ago

yeovil

"

Wood pigeon is a dark meat like rabbit "

Really don't know what rabbits you've been eating but it has a pale meat that when cooked looks like chicken. It is absolutely nothing like wood pigeon.

Reply privately

By *oderndaylivesCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

"I detest this 'rats' with wings/bushy tail pish.

"Won't somebody think of the children!"

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

So do reds. And they were here first!

Reply privately