Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sent home for breaking school uniform rules

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/school-uniform-row-hartswood-kent-dad-confronts-headmaster-at-gates-new-rules-a7231531.html

I think all the Academy headteachers made a pact this year as I am hearing stories from lots of people of their children being sent home for 'minor' breaches of the uniform rules on their first day back.

Are the headteachers right to start off strict or should there be some leniency?

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think sending them home for not having shoes, which weren't listed in the uniform requirments that the parents weren't sent is rediculous. You are impacting on the child's education just because the shoes were suede and not leather? (Incidently, suede is made from leather so the arguement is invalid)

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

It isn't a new thing, many moons ago when I was 14 I got sent home for have shoes with bigger heels than what were allowed.

Not seen that link yet but if it is the same one, one lad had what looked like black trainers on instead of shoes. The mother said they were described as shoes in the shop but that is hardly the schools fault if they want the kids to wear proper shoes and have said so.

Reply privately

over a year ago

100% agree with head teachers. They have rules so all children will be dressed the same no one standing out with £200 trainers or hand me down shoes.

Reply privately

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I heard about that on the news, just ridiculous. My yr7 child got a detention for 10 mins last year for not wearing black socks

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think sending them home for not having shoes, which weren't listed in the uniform requirments that the parents weren't sent is rediculous. You are impacting on the child's education just because the shoes were suede and not leather? (Incidently, suede is made from leather so the arguement is invalid)"

That father is taking his children out of the school completely.

Suede is different to a standard pair of leather shoes though.

I think there is almost a movement to start really hard and strict at the beginning of term now.

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I think the parents were told at the end of last term it would be getting enforced, they had plenty time to buy the uniform

Although suede shoes instead of leather may be a bit much.

I think I read or heard there exam results were shit and it is one strand to improve overall success rate

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Absolutly right and i know at least one headmaster has said they will help parents that need it.

Reply privately

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

Trainers are made out leather so might as well buy them too

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I heard about that on the news, just ridiculous. My yr7 child got a detention for 10 mins last year for not wearing black socks "

Are the rules clear that black socks should be worn?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I heard about that on the news, just ridiculous. My yr7 child got a detention for 10 mins last year for not wearing black socks "

What! That's madness

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

I've never been pro uniform anyway. So I think it's bollocks the length of your skirt or if it's the correct shade of grey doesn't effect how you learn. Uniforms are suppose to prevent bullying but it doesn't especially in this social media age it more rife than ever, it's about time schools induced social media clauses so even if the bullying isn't on school grounds if they have evidence of it, it should be dealt with in a similar way that most companies/business/employers have these clauses in contracts now

Reply privately

By *am-RaiderMan
over a year ago

Corby

It's only right that all the young mothers are forced to wear proper school uniform...standards must be maintained!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I got sent home for breaking school uniform rules.

Fair enough I didn't even go to that particular school and it was an all girls school..

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

did they know they should wear black socks?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I used to wear vans or airwalk to school

Fuck the system

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think the parents were told at the end of last term it would be getting enforced, they had plenty time to buy the uniform

I think I read or heard there exam results were shit and it is one strand to improve overall success rate"

It has been one of the measures credited with improving the exam results in London schools.

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"I think the parents were told at the end of last term it would be getting enforced, they had plenty time to buy the uniform

I think I read or heard there exam results were shit and it is one strand to improve overall success rate

It has been one of the measures credited with improving the exam results in London schools.

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think sending them home for not having shoes, which weren't listed in the uniform requirments that the parents weren't sent is rediculous. You are impacting on the child's education just because the shoes were suede and not leather? (Incidently, suede is made from leather so the arguement is invalid)

I think there is almost a movement to start really hard and strict at the beginning of term now.

"

My belief is that the first couple of days should allow leaniency (sorry for spelling errors there but you know what I mean). But I am just pointing out that the headmaster said that they weren't leather even though suede is leather. And the parent has every right to pull their child out of the school if they won't allow her access. All the headmaster has to do is allow her to attend, but keep sending letters home to remind them that full leather shoes are needed

Reply privately

By *heCuriousCoupleCouple
over a year ago

Costa Del Sol

Personally I think the child's education is far more important that what they're wearing.

I also understand that discipline is important too.

However, would you discipline your child by shouting at their younger brother?

In essence your punishing the child for the parents behaviour.

Reply privately

By *irceWoman
over a year ago

Gloucester

"100% agree with head teachers. They have rules so all children will be dressed the same no one standing out with £200 trainers or hand me down shoes. "

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Their exams

Jesus wept, I wear leather shoes and can't spell

Reply privately

over a year ago

"100% agree with head teachers. They have rules so all children will be dressed the same no one standing out with £200 trainers or hand me down shoes. "

I totally agree with you! My son goes to school 100% uniformed! He was black designer Nike trainers but he isn't allowed to take them!Isn't school uniform and attract the thieves!

Reply privately

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

The boy child school is very strict on uniform rules. The homework diary has a page reiterating what is and install allowed.

6 girls have been asked to wear longer skirts today alone. They were not sent home as it's a first time offence but will be if it happens again. Patents have had letters/ emails sent saying about the inappropriate skirt lengths.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Costa Del Sol

"Personally I think the child's education is far more important that what they're wearing.

In essence your punishing the child for the parents behaviour."

I'm grammar policing my own posts now.

You're punishing*

Reply privately

over a year ago

They have rules

You abide by them

End of

Sets them up in life when they get jobs in the real world.....I think questioning schools for simple rules shows children disrespect for authority x

Reply privately

over a year ago

I went to school in a quite poverty stricken area of the NE. It still makes me sad to look at the class photo and there were kids sitting cross legged on the floor where you can see holes in the bottom of their only pair of shoes how times have changed

Reply privately

By *ove bi guysWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

Parents know the rules if they don't like it find another school. The school need the parents on board, sending a child in with incorrect uniform says a lot about parents ... if they can't support the school on this will they support on discipline and standards of work.

In a school I worked in I got parents pleading poverty but kids with £100 shoes and designer bags ... priorities!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

But how does becoming stricter on uniform improve learning? It just causes more frustration and stress on the student, and the work we have to do is increasingly getting harder due to people complaining that too many people are getting good grades. Now they are complaining that not many people are getting good grades

Reply privately

By *inkyandperky555Couple
over a year ago

swansea

100% agree with head teachers rules is rules we had to do it so get on with perents today grow a pair ffs.

Reply privately

over a year ago

U must conform at work , teach them this . Yes I agree with it . However perhaps give them a couple of days to get item right not send them home

Reply privately

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I wore a denim shirt to school once (it was the early 90'stages, they were cool!!).

The geography teacher made me stand up and explain why I thought the rules didn't apply to me. When I pointed out that the rules stated a cotton shirt must be worn, and took my shirt off to prove the label said 100% cotton, I was given detention for smart mouthing.

I made a lot of new friends that day. Mainly boys. Not sure why.

Reply privately

over a year ago

1 child was reportedly sent home because her trouser were the wrong material! I'm all for kids wearing school uniforms and 'proper' black shoes but the colour of the socks and the material the trousers are made from, that's taking it too far imo

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think sending them home for not having shoes, which weren't listed in the uniform requirments that the parents weren't sent is rediculous. You are impacting on the child's education just because the shoes were suede and not leather? (Incidently, suede is made from leather so the arguement is invalid)

My belief is that the first couple of days should allow leaniency (sorry for spelling errors there but you know what I mean). But I am just pointing out that the headmaster said that they weren't leather even though suede is leather. And the parent has every right to pull their child out of the school if they won't allow her access. All the headmaster has to do is allow her to attend, but keep sending letters home to remind them that full leather shoes are needed "

We had six weeks to get ready!Before I left for holidays,I got everything ready for my son School.Parents know the rules but they choose to turn deaf ears!Leather shoes is a bit of demanding though!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I've never been pro uniform anyway. So I think it's bollocks the length of your skirt or if it's the correct shade of grey doesn't effect how you learn. Uniforms are suppose to prevent bullying but it doesn't especially in this social media age it more rife than ever, it's about time schools induced social media clauses so even if the bullying isn't on school grounds if they have evidence of it, it should be dealt with in a similar way that most companies/business/employers have these clauses in contracts now "

Uniforms aren't just about preventing bullying. It's much more about school corporate identity, knowing which children belong to which school and conformity.

All of the schools I know already have bullying via social media outside of school hours as part of their anti-bullying policies and prevention activities.

The schools near me also have policies that the school uniform has to be worn properly outside of school too, on the journey to and from school. Wearing the tie undone or blazers off outside still gets you a detention if seen by any of the teachers.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I used to wear vans or airwalk to school

Fuck the system "

You would have been sent home now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I went to a public school, so I never wore a uniform.

Although I wasn't allowed to wear hats because NYC politicians decided hats are gang related. So I got in trouble for wearing a hair band. Apparently the ban against hats included bandanas and my hair band looked too much like a bandana. I think the bloods and crips would have been insulted by the insinuation.

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

The parents seem to be enjoying the limelight and the papers are not helping by referring to the headteacher as gestapo!

The school has 1000+ students and 70 thought they could flout the rules. Instead of the parents supporting the school they are enabling their brats. One mother said she was going to homeschool her daughter as she was traumatised! What kind of namby pambies are we breeding? Traumatised because you were sent home?!!

Some work places have a dress code. I remember years ago my husband turning Richard Branson away from a place where he worked for turning up in jeans, he accepted it and didn’t kick off.

I trust none of the little darlings decide on a military career because unfortunately for them Nike don't kit out the army.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/school-uniform-row-hartswood-kent-dad-confronts-headmaster-at-gates-new-rules-a7231531.html

I think all the Academy headteachers made a pact this year as I am hearing stories from lots of people of their children being sent home for 'minor' breaches of the uniform rules on their first day back.

Are the headteachers right to start off strict or should there be some leniency?

"

Considering they moan like f**k when you want to take them holiday (losing out on vital education) they are quite happy to send people home for minor school uniform flaws is silly in my eyes.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Does a uniform help or encourage school kids to learn .......... no .... so what's the bloody point . The money spent on uniforms is sometimes I'll afforded . It would be better spent on food and warmth.

Reply privately

By *ungBlackTopMan
over a year ago

salford

100% agree. Rules are rules and there for a reason. You're at school to learn and be educated not be the trendiest kid on the block.

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

"I've never been pro uniform anyway. So I think it's bollocks the length of your skirt or if it's the correct shade of grey doesn't effect how you learn. Uniforms are suppose to prevent bullying but it doesn't especially in this social media age it more rife than ever, it's about time schools induced social media clauses so even if the bullying isn't on school grounds if they have evidence of it, it should be dealt with in a similar way that most companies/business/employers have these clauses in contracts now

Uniforms aren't just about preventing bullying. It's much more about school corporate identity, knowing which children belong to which school and conformity.

All of the schools I know already have bullying via social media outside of school hours as part of their anti-bullying policies and prevention activities.

The schools near me also have policies that the school uniform has to be worn properly outside of school too, on the journey to and from school. Wearing the tie undone or blazers off outside still gets you a detention if seen by any of the teachers.

"

Primary schools aren't as strict on uniform rules they have various uniform options and it still shows conformity to the schools colours. For these academies it's all about money, image and grades they really don't give a toss about the kids, though they do every thing to appear that they do care as I said they like their image

Reply privately

over a year ago

My belief is that the first couple of days should allow leaniency (sorry for spelling errors there but you know what I mean). But I am just pointing out that the headmaster said that they weren't leather even though suede is leather. And the parent has every right to pull their child out of the school if they won't allow her access. All the headmaster has to do is allow her to attend, but keep sending letters home to remind them that full leather shoes are needed

We had six weeks to get ready!Before I left for holidays,I got everything ready for my son School.Parents know the rules but they choose to turn deaf ears!Leather shoes is a bit of demanding though!"

The father says in the video that the uniform requirment letter didn't even mention leather shoes. Even the referral his daughter got the day before didn't mention the shoes. That's what the entire controversy is about

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Personally I think the child's education is far more important that what they're wearing.

In essence your punishing the child for the parents behaviour."

I know some schools feel they need to do this as the parents are modelling that it is ok for their child to break the school rules and flout the disciplinary system.

I know of one mother who was banned from a local school for consistently sending her child back with the wrong shoes, to which she would then yell at the teachers that they were Nazis.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 08/09/16 20:29:20]

Reply privately

over a year ago

When you start a job you have to follow a dress code. Kids and parents need to understand that this is all about discipline and preparing them for the wider world, fully support teachers in this

Reply privately

over a year ago

"U must conform at work , teach them this . Yes I agree with it . However perhaps give them a couple of days to get item right not send them home "

The argument is that they were given the uniform list in June/July and had all of the summer holidays to get it right.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The thing is, her shoes, although suede, were very smart, as was her uniform which you saw on the news when they were getting inter_iewed.

The head teacher did come across as a pompus ass

Reply privately

over a year ago

"http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/school-uniform-row-hartswood-kent-dad-confronts-headmaster-at-gates-new-rules-a7231531.html

"

I believe, but am happy to stand corrected, that the schools sent letters out to all parents informing them of the uniform requirements, well ahead of time.

If the children are sent home for not being correctly attired so be it.

To those complaining about the children missing out on their education, the responsibility lies with the parents, not the child.

Sounds pretty simple to me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

2016 - where children are denied access to education for the incorrect shoe material. Travel a few thousand miles west and kids can't even get a pencil to go to school.

Progress....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I went to a public school, so I never wore a uniform.

Although I wasn't allowed to wear hats because NYC politicians decided hats are gang related. So I got in trouble for wearing a hair band. Apparently the ban against hats included bandanas and my hair band looked too much like a bandana. I think the bloods and crips would have been insulted by the insinuation. "

Public schools means something different here.

These are state schools (albeit they are now Academies or Free Schools and can do whatever they like).

Reply privately

over a year ago

Our eldest got a warning on the first day for walking around with her top shirt button undone and a loose tie. In their school it's get 2 warnings you get detention.

She came home and told me, so I said to her that's the uniform wear it properly. She got no sympathy from me for it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I've never been pro uniform anyway. So I think it's bollocks the length of your skirt or if it's the correct shade of grey doesn't effect how you learn. Uniforms are suppose to prevent bullying but it doesn't especially in this social media age it more rife than ever, it's about time schools induced social media clauses so even if the bullying isn't on school grounds if they have evidence of it, it should be dealt with in a similar way that most companies/business/employers have these clauses in contracts now

Primary schools aren't as strict on uniform rules they have various uniform options and it still shows conformity to the schools colours. For these academies it's all about money, image and grades they really don't give a toss about the kids, though they do every thing to appear that they do care as I said they like their image

"

I've actually heard a lot about how money oriented academies are in this country. Many of them require uniforms that can only be sold by one shop and the shop is owned by the same company that runs the academy. Legally they are allowed to do this only so long as the uniforms are sold at cost, but it naturally raises questions about conflicts of interest, especially being this strict about said uniforms.

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"

speak for yourself they even had to wear the school logo hats in the summer. We even had to wear bloody thick navy knickers in primary

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The parents seem to be enjoying the limelight and the papers are not helping by referring to the headteacher as gestapo!

The school has 1000+ students and 70 thought they could flout the rules. Instead of the parents supporting the school they are enabling their brats. One mother said she was going to homeschool her daughter as she was traumatised! What kind of namby pambies are we breeding? Traumatised because you were sent home?!!

Some work places have a dress code. I remember years ago my husband turning Richard Branson away from a place where he worked for turning up in jeans, he accepted it and didn’t kick off.

I trust none of the little darlings decide on a military career because unfortunately for them Nike don't kit out the army.

"

The Academies all have a particular specialism and many choose business. They see preparing the young people for work as core to their mission. So much so that VI Form also requires them to wear suits and business attire.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Our eldest got a warning on the first day for walking around with her top shirt button undone and a loose tie. In their school it's get 2 warnings you get detention.

She came home and told me, so I said to her that's the uniform wear it properly. She got no sympathy from me for it "

I like you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Does a uniform help or encourage school kids to learn .......... no .... so what's the bloody point . The money spent on uniforms is sometimes I'll afforded . It would be better spent on food and warmth. "

As I mentioned above, there appears to be a school of thought that the discipline of strict uniform adherence is one of the things that has led to the massive improvement in exam passes in London over the last few years.

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

I believe, but am happy to stand corrected, that the schools sent letters out to all parents informing them of the uniform requirements, well ahead of time.

To those complaining about the children missing out on their education, the responsibility lies with the parents, not the child.

Sounds pretty simple to me."

Now this is where I feel for my sister end of last term they sent home letters with full uniform details on for our local academy so she purchased it all, the Saturday before school started on Monday a letter hit her doorstep detailing last minute changes to the uniform policy, half of what she bought was no good under new rules and she's been unable to get most of it at such short notice, she can't return what's no good as she's out of the stores 28 days return policy, so she's out of pocket and she's on a low income, I'm all for the rules but making parents jump through hoops like that is disgraceful

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I went to a public school, so I never wore a uniform.

Although I wasn't allowed to wear hats because NYC politicians decided hats are gang related. So I got in trouble for wearing a hair band. Apparently the ban against hats included bandanas and my hair band looked too much like a bandana. I think the bloods and crips would have been insulted by the insinuation.

Public schools means something different here.

These are state schools (albeit they are now Academies or Free Schools and can do whatever they like).

"

Right I always forget about the difference in "pubic schools."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"U must conform at work , teach them this . Yes I agree with it . However perhaps give them a couple of days to get item right not send them home

The argument is that they were given the uniform list in June/July and had all of the summer holidays to get it right.

"

Very true !

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

They were probably protesting cause the little buggers were sent home and the meet they had waited 6 weeks for went tits up

Reply privately

over a year ago

The headmaster at Denbigh high school excluded a number of pupils on Monday for breaching school uniform rules..

Good for him I say..

Reply privately

over a year ago

The thing is that most uniform codes ask for "smart black shoes". Don't specify a material to be made of. So while I got away with wearing Dr Marten boots, another person was wearing canvas slip on that were black and looked smart. That's all the teachers should care about

Reply privately

over a year ago

I went to an inner London school (about 45 years ago). We wouldn't have dared not to have worn the proper uniform.

I was all for what the headmaster did - until the suede shoes episode. Apparently the child was sent home yesterday for another breach of uniform rules and the shoes weren't mentioned then. If that's true, then that's wrong.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They were probably protesting cause the little buggers were sent home and the meet they had waited 6 weeks for went tits up"

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

I've actually heard a lot about how money oriented academies are in this country. Many of them require uniforms that can only be sold by one shop and the shop is owned by the same company that runs the academy. Legally they are allowed to do this only so long as the uniforms are sold at cost, but it naturally raises questions about conflicts of interest, especially being this strict about said uniforms. "

. Our local academy won't now allow parents to buy anything other than from the schools shop/supplier and it's all 3x as expensive as the standard store bought grey trousers that look exactly the same

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've actually heard a lot about how money oriented academies are in this country. Many of them require uniforms that can only be sold by one shop and the shop is owned by the same company that runs the academy. Legally they are allowed to do this only so long as the uniforms are sold at cost, but it naturally raises questions about conflicts of interest, especially being this strict about said uniforms. "

I have a lot of problems with how the Academies policies have been developed and allow all sorts of conflicts of interest. But, that's different from what happens about enforcing the uniform and disciplinary code within the school.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Costa Del Sol

In essence your punishing the child for the parents behaviour.

I know some schools feel they need to do this as the parents are modelling that it is ok for their child to break the school rules and flout the disciplinary system.

I know of one mother who was banned from a local school for consistently sending her child back with the wrong shoes, to which she would then yell at the teachers that they were Nazis.

"

Yes it's a fine line. You have to do something to enforce the rules but I'm not sure reducing the childs education is the right way.

Oh and don't me wrong. If I send my child in correct uniform and he rocks up wearing trainers he had in his bag. Kick is arse by all means.

Reply privately

By *yintotryCouple
over a year ago

Belfast

Could be worse. Watch sing Street to see how they deal with uniform infringements.

Reply privately

By *rank n BettyCouple
over a year ago

Not meeting

Having worked wishing a legal department advising schools, I know that a school can enforce anything it likes as long as it is written in a school policy.

My eldest's school makes it very clear what is & isn't acceptable. Mainly aimed at girls though! Skirts only so far above knee, no slip on / ballet style shoes, low heel etc... Hair supposed to be 1 colour, makeup not to be obvious. Boys were not allowed to wear boots until this year.

Whilst I am a great believer in school uniform I do think it unfair to punish the child if their parent is wrong. Give them a few days grace & enforce from next Monday.

The child that had an injury & "needed" to wear trainers should have a letter from his consultant confirming this.

We had 1 high school do away with normal uniform & brought in black trousers or sports bottoms, polo shirts & hoodies (all with school logo). They could wear trainers but only if completely black with minimal advertising. Their exam results were much better that year so they carried on

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

I've actually heard a lot about how money oriented academies are in this country. Many of them require uniforms that can only be sold by one shop and the shop is owned by the same company that runs the academy. Legally they are allowed to do this only so long as the uniforms are sold at cost, but it naturally raises questions about conflicts of interest, especially being this strict about said uniforms.

. Our local academy won't now allow parents to buy anything other than from the schools shop/supplier and it's all 3x as expensive as the standard store bought grey trousers that look exactly the same "

and they also have as good as new uniforms for sale that others have grown out off

Reply privately

over a year ago

Now this is where I feel for my sister end of last term they sent home letters with full uniform details on for our local academy so she purchased it all, the Saturday before school started on Monday a letter hit her doorstep detailing last minute changes to the uniform policy, half of what she bought was no good under new rules and she's been unable to get most of it at such short notice, she can't return what's no good as she's out of the stores 28 days return policy, so she's out of pocket and she's on a low income, I'm all for the rules but making parents jump through hoops like that is disgraceful"

No doubt about it, that is wrong.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Now this is where I feel for my sister end of last term they sent home letters with full uniform details on for our local academy so she purchased it all, the Saturday before school started on Monday a letter hit her doorstep detailing last minute changes to the uniform policy, half of what she bought was no good under new rules and she's been unable to get most of it at such short notice, she can't return what's no good as she's out of the stores 28 days return policy, so she's out of pocket and she's on a low income, I'm all for the rules but making parents jump through hoops like that is disgraceful"

That, I agree is wrong. The school should be made aware of the issues they have caused with changes they have made.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It seems I've started a trend in our sixth formers for suits with waistcoats, according to my boss, who is part of the management team. Some of them make mine look dull.

The fob watches have caught on too. Heh. I have my black skeletal one on my little stainless chain, with my lab keys on the other end.

People do tend to pass comment that our dept is the best dressed. It's all fun.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They were probably protesting cause the little buggers were sent home and the meet they had waited 6 weeks for went tits up"

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

"U must conform at work , teach them this . Yes I agree with it . However perhaps give them a couple of days to get item right not send them home "

Yes but a lot of companies also now have uniform options not a strict set uniform. Look round your local tesco, asda or morrrison etc you will see each staff member wears a mixture of different style uniforms but in the company colours it's still smart and as a conformity to it but allows the person to wear something comfortable for them. The uniform is also seasonal as well so there cooler sets for summer and warmer for winter, academies demand the kids sweat their arses of still wearing blazers even in the height of summer, it's just all gone too far in my opinion

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

. Our local academy won't now allow parents to buy anything other than from the schools shop/supplier and it's all 3x as expensive as the standard store bought grey trousers that look exactly the same and they also have as good as new uniforms for sale that others have grown out off"

Not at our local one it has to be purchased as new in accordance to the new policy

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Having worked wishing a legal department advising schools, I know that a school can enforce anything it likes as long as it is written in a school policy.

My eldest's school makes it very clear what is & isn't acceptable. Mainly aimed at girls though! Skirts only so far above knee, no slip on / ballet style shoes, low heel etc... Hair supposed to be 1 colour, makeup not to be obvious. Boys were not allowed to wear boots until this year.

Whilst I am a great believer in school uniform I do think it unfair to punish the child if their parent is wrong. Give them a few days grace & enforce from next Monday.

The child that had an injury & "needed" to wear trainers should have a letter from his consultant confirming this.

We had 1 high school do away with normal uniform & brought in black trousers or sports bottoms, polo shirts & hoodies (all with school logo). They could wear trainers but only if completely black with minimal advertising. Their exam results were much better that year so they carried on"

Still a uniform but a casual one... but I wonder if this prepares them for ever wearing something other than trainers and hoodies?

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

School is full of pointless rules and the press is full of people with nowt better to write about.

*turns channel back to Syria*

Reply privately

over a year ago

Indeed. We have a smart dress code, but it's very flexible. Technically, I can wear whatever I like, as a technician.. The important bit is the lab jacket and ID badge.

I prefer to leave my lab jacket for dealing with messy chemicals or organics, for most things it's my pinstripes and a shirt/waistcoat combo. Less to get in the way, and cooler.

Reply privately

over a year ago

. Our local academy won't now allow parents to buy anything other than from the schools shop/supplier and it's all 3x as expensive as the standard store bought grey trousers that look exactly the same and they also have as good as new uniforms for sale that others have grown out off

Not at our local one it has to be purchased as new in accordance to the new policy "

Even if they do have used clothes, it doesn't remove the existence the conflict of interest to begin with. Not to mention that where I went to school, any hint that you wore used clothes would have made you ripe for mockery.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It seems I've started a trend in our sixth formers for suits with waistcoats, according to my boss, who is part of the management team. Some of them make mine look dull.

The fob watches have caught on too. Heh. I have my black skeletal one on my little stainless chain, with my lab keys on the other end.

People do tend to pass comment that our dept is the best dressed. It's all fun. "

Trendsetter.

Reply privately

By *rank n BettyCouple
over a year ago

Not meeting

"Having worked wishing a legal department advising schools, I know that a school can enforce anything it likes as long as it is written in a school policy.

We had 1 high school do away with normal uniform & brought in black trousers or sports bottoms, polo shirts & hoodies (all with school logo). They could wear trainers but only if completely black with minimal advertising. Their exam results were much better that year so they carried on

Still a uniform but a casual one... but I wonder if this prepares them for ever wearing something other than trainers and hoodies?"

Probably not!! They are about to convert to an Academy so I guess a change will come next year!!

Our school even has different ties for lower & upper school & a different colour stripe according to house. It's really strict but gets excellent results (was my 2nd choice for him though I thought it would be too strict but turns out it was what he needed)

Reply privately

By *HELONDONCOUPLECouple
over a year ago

london

I used to get sent home every day over 30 years ago for not wearing uniform and when the school report came they wondered why it said can't comment never seen him, still got the report lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They have rules

You abide by them

End of

Sets them up in life when they get jobs in the real world.....I think questioning schools for simple rules shows children disrespect for authority x"

Completely agree...if kids (and their parents) don't learn that even simple rules have to be followed when in the real world then how can they function within the law as adults?

Sadly i feel this generation of kids belong to a generation who thinks the world owes them everything they desire without having to work hard or respect authority and I worry about the future outcome. The most worrying thing is, we made them this way

Reply privately

over a year ago

(M) adding his 2 pennies worth. Was born in West Yorkshire but left England just after passing exams to Bradford Grammar School...

We went to Switzerland due to family and there no uniforms at schools.

However seem it seems UK education is stuck in some kind of "dumb down" and don't give kids a chance. We for our "A" levels had 3 languages (German, English, French or Italian), main subjects depending on what you took (I was economics so was law, book keeping, and economics) and then the usual stuff history/geographic/bio/arts/physics/chemistry and 3 others... You could fail on 1 main and 2 "others"... But our education was given by teachers who cared, who were trained and last knew what they were teaching and accepted that each pupil was different.

Seems in the UK it's all about uniforms and learning by daily exams and nothing else...

Ditch the uniforms and get better education

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

. Our local academy won't now allow parents to buy anything other than from the schools shop/supplier and it's all 3x as expensive as the standard store bought grey trousers that look exactly the same and they also have as good as new uniforms for sale that others have grown out off

Not at our local one it has to be purchased as new in accordance to the new policy

Even if they do have used clothes, it doesn't remove the existence the conflict of interest to begin with. Not to mention that where I went to school, any hint that you wore used clothes would have made you ripe for mockery."

well parents know their kids are starting school september its up to them to budget throughout the year how do they thinj everyone else does it, we all got child benefit

Reply privately

By *oxy_minxWoman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

Personally I think they were right, they were told what the dress code was, if they choice to go against it, and go with their own interpretation live with it. If all kids look the same then it will cut down in the bullying aspect, just my point of _iew I suppose.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I wonder if it was phones the parents had to buy for first day back,would their kids allow their parents to get the wrong phone they needed or at least notice it was the wrong type

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

Even if they do have used clothes, it doesn't remove the existence the conflict of interest to begin with. Not to mention that where I went to school, any hint that you wore used clothes would have made you ripe for mockery.well parents know their kids are starting school september its up to them to budget throughout the year how do they thinj everyone else does it, we all got child benefit"

That's fine but some families are surviving but relying on food banks there's so for them there no money to save and there no help for them to buy the approved expensive uniform, and I'm not talking people on benefits I'm talking about working low income families.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Still a uniform but a casual one... but I wonder if this prepares them for ever wearing something other than trainers and hoodies?

Probably not!! They are about to convert to an Academy so I guess a change will come next year!!

Our school even has different ties for lower & upper school & a different colour stripe according to house. It's really strict but gets excellent results (was my 2nd choice for him though I thought it would be too strict but turns out it was what he needed)"

Ours also changes the tie colour for the upper school, but they provide that on the first day back in a rite of passage, we expect much of you, assembly.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Parents know the rules if they don't like it find another school. The school need the parents on board, sending a child in with incorrect uniform says a lot about parents ... if they can't support the school on this will they support on discipline and standards of work.

In a school I worked in I got parents pleading poverty but kids with £100 shoes and designer bags ... priorities! "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They have rules

You abide by them

End of

Sets them up in life when they get jobs in the real world.....I think questioning schools for simple rules shows children disrespect for authority x

Completely agree...if kids (and their parents) don't learn that even simple rules have to be followed when in the real world then how can they function within the law as adults?

Sadly i feel this generation of kids belong to a generation who thinks the world owes them everything they desire without having to work hard or respect authority and I worry about the future outcome. The most worrying thing is, we made them this way "

I do question why children get the blame for responding to how their parents and other adults have modelled what their behaviour should be.

Saying no isn't a bad thing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It seems I've started a trend in our sixth formers for suits with waistcoats, according to my boss, who is part of the management team. Some of them make mine look dull.

People do tend to pass comment that our dept is the best dressed. It's all fun.

Trendsetter.

"

I prefer eccentric. The "Dress" lab coat for special occasions is a proper "Howie" mad scientist job, and I far prefer my double lensed smoked "aviator" safety goggles to the standard. It's got to look right, after all.. haha!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Standards must be set and adhered to in certain circumstances. I applaud the head teacher's stand. It is part and parcel of raising standards and fostering a sense of pride in the school. Those protesting parents are part of the problem in my _iew. Always pleading special cases...

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Even if they do have used clothes, it doesn't remove the existence the conflict of interest to begin with. Not to mention that where I went to school, any hint that you wore used clothes would have made you ripe for mockery.well parents know their kids are starting school september its up to them to budget throughout the year how do they thinj everyone else does it, we all got child benefit

That's fine but some families are surviving but relying on food banks there's so for them there no money to save and there no help for them to buy the approved expensive uniform, and I'm not talking people on benefits I'm talking about working low income families. "

one of the headmasters inter_iewed said they would or where helping families that needed it. Surely families that really on food banks already under social services so will get some kind of funding and where any of the children sent home from these deprived families ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Where does it rule out hand me downs?

Reply privately

over a year ago

when i went to the grammar school we used to have regulation knickers - theywere baggy flannelette type things that were bloody awful and left fluff in your bits - kids today eh dont know theyre born

Reply privately

over a year ago

"(M) adding his 2 pennies worth. Was born in West Yorkshire but left England just after passing exams to Bradford Grammar School...

We went to Switzerland due to family and there no uniforms at schools.

However seem it seems UK education is stuck in some kind of "dumb down" and don't give kids a chance. We for our "A" levels had 3 languages (German, English, French or Italian), main subjects depending on what you took (I was economics so was law, book keeping, and economics) and then the usual stuff history/geographic/bio/arts/physics/chemistry and 3 others... You could fail on 1 main and 2 "others"... But our education was given by teachers who cared, who were trained and last knew what they were teaching and accepted that each pupil was different.

Seems in the UK it's all about uniforms and learning by daily exams and nothing else...

Ditch the uniforms and get better education"

Michael Gove believed, oh so strongly, that the best education for every child would be the one he had.

Kenneth Baker (Lord Baker now) created what used to be called Baker days and are now Inset days. His _iews on education are worth listening to. He has spent the last 25 years pressing for more vocational education. www.independent.co.uk › News › Education › Education News

Reply privately

over a year ago

My youngest started on Tuesday (4), and daughter is 6. Aldi kitted them both out nicely for sub £20. Good quality, to be fair. They don't HAVE to have school badges on their tops, but if you want them, the tops are a lot more.

And don't go there with phones. Rare a week goes by without an email to say "student x has lost their iPhone 6 after leaving it in the loos"..I mean, why, or how?!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think sending them home for not having shoes, which weren't listed in the uniform requirments that the parents weren't sent is rediculous. You are impacting on the child's education just because the shoes were suede and not leather? (Incidently, suede is made from leather so the arguement is invalid)"

Yes I noted that also. Btw did you notice it stated black soles too. Bloody conformists. My first job was in a shoe shop, some black leather shoes had leather soles, these were of a neutral colour.

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

In my last year at school I went through the uniform regs with a fine tooth comb and found all the loopholes.

Went to school appropriately attired, was hauled before the head in minutes and just politely asked him to show me where it was written down that I couldn't dress like this.

They scratched their heads and let me go but changed the rules the following year.

Never did like v-necks.

Pointless.

Reply privately

By *rank n BettyCouple
over a year ago

Not meeting

Our school even has different ties for lower & upper school & a different colour stripe according to house. It's really strict but gets excellent results (was my 2nd choice for him though I thought it would be too strict but turns out it was what he needed)

Ours also changes the tie colour for the upper school, but they provide that on the first day back in a rite of passage, we expect much of you, assembly."

I quite like that idea!!! I'm betting my youngest will be in a different house so I have to buy new ties & blazer badges!!!

Our primary school doesn't insist on uniform but likes them to attend in grey bottoms & white or royal blue polo shirt & royal blue cardi or sweatshirt. School logo desireable but not essential. Great for me as youngest is larger than most due to health issues

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My youngest started on Tuesday (4), and daughter is 6. Aldi kitted them both out nicely for sub £20. Good quality, to be fair. They don't HAVE to have school badges on their tops, but if you want them, the tops are a lot more.

And don't go there with phones. Rare a week goes by without an email to say "student x has lost their iPhone 6 after leaving it in the loos"..I mean, why, or how?!"

I know they all sneak them in but to then lose them...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Higher expectations and demands from parents government, alongside a lessening of resources give modern teachers very little wriggle-room in their ability to raise standards. Uniform and other disciplinary measures are one of the few ways they can say "look, we're doing something".

I'm not against it, but it puts a lot of pressure on some families - mind you, they are typically not the families you find running to the press. Every local paper has some idiot parent standing cross-armed over their little princess threatening to take them out of school if they're not allowed to wear their cherished One Direction earrings or some such.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Ours also changes the tie colour for the upper school, but they provide that on the first day back in a rite of passage, we expect much of you, assembly.

I quite like that idea!!! I'm betting my youngest will be in a different house so I have to buy new ties & blazer badges!!!

Our primary school doesn't insist on uniform but likes them to attend in grey bottoms & white or royal blue polo shirt & royal blue cardi or sweatshirt. School logo desireable but not essential. Great for me as youngest is larger than most due to health issues "

Change house! That doesn't make sense. One of the reasons to have a house system is give you a sense of belonging in the hugeness that is secondary.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Higher expectations and demands from parents government, alongside a lessening of resources give modern teachers very little wriggle-room in their ability to raise standards. Uniform and other disciplinary measures are one of the few ways they can say "look, we're doing something".

I'm not against it, but it puts a lot of pressure on some families - mind you, they are typically not the families you find running to the press. Every local paper has some idiot parent standing cross-armed over their little princess threatening to take them out of school if they're not allowed to wear their cherished One Direction earrings or some such. "

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

Even if they do have used clothes, it doesn't remove the existence the conflict of interest to begin with. Not to mention that where I went to school, any hint that you wore used clothes would have made you ripe for mockery.well parents know their kids are starting school september its up to them to budget throughout the year how do they thinj everyone else does it, we all got child benefit

That's fine but some families are surviving but relying on food banks there's so for them there no money to save and there no help for them to buy the approved expensive uniform, and I'm not talking people on benefits I'm talking about working low income families. one of the headmasters inter_iewed said they would or where helping families that needed it. Surely families that really on food banks already under social services so will get some kind of funding and where any of the children sent home from these deprived families ?"

Depends on the circumstances not all food bank families have social service involvement. I volunteer at my local food bank and we thought it would be a good idea to ask for donations of the academies uniform that was still in good condition to donate to families that were struggling and in need, and we were sent a cease and desist notice from The academy. If they are under the social services they can only get funding where it's available and that's unfortunately rare

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Parents know the rules if they don't like it find another school. The school need the parents on board, sending a child in with incorrect uniform says a lot about parents ... if they can't support the school on this will they support on discipline and standards of work.

In a school I worked in I got parents pleading poverty but kids with £100 shoes and designer bags ... priorities! "

I support the uniform ethos but allow my daughter to make decisions bearing in mind the consequences. I don't want her just to conform but understand the rationale for rules and take responsibility. My point is that it's not always simply the case that parents are sending pupils to school in the wrong uniform.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Higher expectations and demands from parents government, alongside a lessening of resources give modern teachers very little wriggle-room in their ability to raise standards. Uniform and other disciplinary measures are one of the few ways they can say "look, we're doing something".

I'm not against it, but it puts a lot of pressure on some families - mind you, they are typically not the families you find running to the press. Every local paper has some idiot parent standing cross-armed over their little princess threatening to take them out of school if they're not allowed to wear their cherished One Direction earrings or some such. "

You'd definitely be sent home by any of the schools near me for wearing anything other than plain studs in the ears (although they'd prefer it if no earings were worn at all).

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They have rules

You abide by them

End of

Sadly i feel this generation of kids belong to a generation who thinks the world owes them everything they desire without having to work hard or respect authority and I worry about the future outcome. The most worrying thing is, we made them this way "

This.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"M

I know they all sneak them in but to then lose them..."

It's more that we get kids saying "I can't pay for a pen/pencil or whatever, I've got no money".. Oh, is that an s7 in your pocket? Hmm.

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

That's fine but some families are surviving but relying on food banks there's so for them there no money to save and there no help for them to buy the approved expensive uniform, and I'm not talking people on benefits I'm talking about working low income families. one of the headmasters inter_iewed said they would or where helping families that needed it. Surely families that really on food banks already under social services so will get some kind of funding and where any of the children sent home from these deprived families ?

Depends on the circumstances not all food bank families have social service involvement. I volunteer at my local food bank and we thought it would be a good idea to ask for donations of the academies uniform that was still in good condition to donate to families that were struggling and in need, and we were sent a cease and desist notice from The academy. If they are under the social services they can only get funding where it's available and that's unfortunately rare "

how do they get reffered to the food bank then here you need to get a letter to take with you

Reply privately

over a year ago

"M

I know they all sneak them in but to then lose them...

It's more that we get kids saying "I can't pay for a pen/pencil or whatever, I've got no money".. Oh, is that an s7 in your pocket? Hmm.

"

Hmmm indeed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Considering they moan like f**k when you want to take them holiday (losing out on vital education) they are quite happy to send people home for minor school uniform flaws is silly in my eyes. "

My daughter's school puts them in isolation.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Even if they do have used clothes, it doesn't remove the existence the conflict of interest to begin with. Not to mention that where I went to school, any hint that you wore used clothes would have made you ripe for mockery.well parents know their kids are starting school september its up to them to budget throughout the year how do they thinj everyone else does it, we all got child benefit"

But that doesn't address the point. If you have uniforms there is no real reason to make them this restrictive. Why does it matter to an academy where a child buys a uniform unless its primary motive is profit? A parent should think about what their child needs for school, of course - and that includes clothing. But black shoes vs. black leather shoes? Buying your white button down shirt from their store vs. Primark? That has nothing to do with budgeting.

The local dominoes might require their delivery person to have a driver's license and a car, but I've never seen them specify the make and model.

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

That's fine but some families are surviving but relying on food banks there's so for them there no money to save and there no help for them to buy the approved expensive uniform, and I'm not talking people on benefits I'm talking about working low income families. one of the headmasters inter_iewed said they would or where helping families that needed it. Surely families that really on food banks already under social services so will get some kind of funding and where any of the children sent home from these deprived families ?

Depends on the circumstances not all food bank families have social service involvement. I volunteer at my local food bank and we thought it would be a good idea to ask for donations of the academies uniform that was still in good condition to donate to families that were struggling and in need, and we were sent a cease and desist notice from The academy. If they are under the social services they can only get funding where it's available and that's unfortunately rare how do they get reffered to the food bank then here you need to get a letter to take with you"

Depends we will take one off walk ins if they have proof of failing into a low income bracket that entitles them to receive a donation, the try to get them appropriate help , but some do obviously come from referrals, but that process can be hard to get through and it's too late for families that need it urgently, the whole systems wrong to be honest

Reply privately

over a year ago

We have a local knock off shop for school uniforms. They're not from the approved supplier but none of the schools have sent children home for wearing the uniform from that shop. They look exactly the same and cost half the price.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

But that doesn't address the point. If you have uniforms there is no real reason to make them this restrictive. Why does it matter to an academy where a child buys a uniform unless its primary motive is profit? A parent should think about what their child needs for school, of course - and that includes clothing. But black shoes vs. black leather shoes? Buying your white button down shirt from their store vs. Primark? That has nothing to do with budgeting.

The local dominoes might require their delivery person to have a driver's license and a car, but I've never seen them specify the make and model. "

but its not a new thing my mum used to get detention if she took her grammer school hat of on the bus. As i said we even had to wear thick navy blue knickers. Its not a new concept its just been introduced and cause things have lapsed the last few years a few dont like it

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

*reintroduced*

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

"

The local dominoes might require their delivery person to have a driver's license and a car, but I've never seen them specify the make and model. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

. Our local academy won't now allow parents to buy anything other than from the schools shop/supplier and it's all 3x as expensive as the standard store bought grey trousers that look exactly the same "

Apart from clothes with logos on, what that school is doing is illegal. Contact minister of education and/or local education authority. I know this because I had this fight and won!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion. They are my children, it is my money, I should be able to buy the uniform from the shop of my choosing, not where the school tell me to. I would rather buy 8 shirts/tops from a supermarket, than buy just 2 for the same price. As long as the child is wearing the correct colour of clothes and shoes should anything else matter? If the school want the logo on the clothes then why not provide it for the parents to attach to what they've bought? No input should be given over items that can't be seen, like socks. They have no right to say how a girl is to have her hair and should definitely not say a girl has to wear a skirt!

A petition has started at a school near me, over the uniform, as it was recently changed and what they require is ridiculous. They expect parents to pay £40 for a Nike PE top, that will only be worn for two hours a week, which will then end up lost or stolen. Can I justify that, no. Oh but not allowed branded items through choice, bags, trainers etc.

To those saying the parents chose that school they knew the uniform policy etc,many schools have rrecently changed their policy and you don't really get a choice, you have to pick 3 from the list you're given (if there are 3), so if in an area where there are few schools you're screwed.

As for if you can't wear a uniform properly how will you do well in life and dress appropriately for work... I think loads would argue with that, people mature and have chosen the job and can buy the work clothes wherever they wish, from primark to next. My school uniform was full on, blazer, shirt, tie etc; did I dress as I should have, hell no, my shirt was tucked in at front and out at the back, my tie was about an inch long, my blazer was shoved in my locker or tied around my waste. But guess what, I wouldn't dress that way for a job inter_iew or in work and it certainly didn't have an impact on my education.

Buy yes carry on sending children home for having a tassel on their shoe, but when kept off for 2 days be sure to send out letters and when off for 7 days don't forget the fine, because then it's the parents choice to keep them off. Ridiculous.

And rant over

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

"We have a local knock off shop for school uniforms. They're not from the approved supplier but none of the schools have sent children home for wearing the uniform from that shop. They look exactly the same and cost half the price.

"

Hopefully that will stay the same for your area at least unfortunately they aren't as lenient elsewhere

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

*reintroduced*

Reply privately

over a year ago

. Our local academy won't now allow parents to buy anything other than from the schools shop/supplier and it's all 3x as expensive as the standard store bought grey trousers that look exactly the same and they also have as good as new uniforms for sale that others have grown out off"

Schools that change their uniform design every few bloody years don't.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion. They are my children, it is my money, I should be able to buy the uniform from the shop of my choosing, not where the school tell me to. I would rather buy 8 shirts/tops from a supermarket, than buy just 2 for the same price. As long as the child is wearing the correct colour of clothes and shoes should anything else matter? If the school want the logo on the clothes then why not provide it for the parents to attach to what they've bought? No input should be given over items that can't be seen, like socks. They have no right to say how a girl is to have her hair and should definitely not say a girl has to wear a skirt!

A petition has started at a school near me, over the uniform, as it was recently changed and what they require is ridiculous. They expect parents to pay £40 for a Nike PE top, that will only be worn for two hours a week, which will then end up lost or stolen. Can I justify that, no. Oh but not allowed branded items through choice, bags, trainers etc.

To those saying the parents chose that school they knew the uniform policy etc,many schools have rrecently changed their policy and you don't really get a choice, you have to pick 3 from the list you're given (if there are 3), so if in an area where there are few schools you're screwed.

As for if you can't wear a uniform properly how will you do well in life and dress appropriately for work... I think loads would argue with that, people mature and have chosen the job and can buy the work clothes wherever they wish, from primark to next. My school uniform was full on, blazer, shirt, tie etc; did I dress as I should have, hell no, my shirt was tucked in at front and out at the back, my tie was about an inch long, my blazer was shoved in my locker or tied around my waste. But guess what, I wouldn't dress that way for a job inter_iew or in work and it certainly didn't have an impact on my education.

Buy yes carry on sending children home for having a tassel on their shoe, but when kept off for 2 days be sure to send out letters and when off for 7 days don't forget the fine, because then it's the parents choice to keep them off. Ridiculous.

And rant over "

So would you join a protest movement with other parents who agree with you?

Reply privately

over a year ago

The local dominoes might require their delivery person to have a driver's license and a car, but I've never seen them specify the make and model. but its not a new thing my mum used to get detention if she took her grammer school hat of on the bus. As i said we even had to wear thick navy blue knickers. Its not a new concept its just been introduced and cause things have lapsed the last few years a few dont like it"

Its wrong now, and it was wrong then. Saying it is the way its always been doesn't make it right.

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

"Think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion. They are my children, it is my money, I should be able to buy the uniform from the shop of my choosing, not where the school tell me to. I would rather buy 8 shirts/tops from a supermarket, than buy just 2 for the same price. As long as the child is wearing the correct colour of clothes and shoes should anything else matter? If the school want the logo on the clothes then why not provide it for the parents to attach to what they've bought? No input should be given over items that can't be seen, like socks. They have no right to say how a girl is to have her hair and should definitely not say a girl has to wear a skirt!

And rant over "

Agree totally have a set colour scheme and allow parents to but it anywhere that suits their budget. Schools could then offer iron on school logos at a reasonable cost

Reply privately

By *ymeCouple
over a year ago

winchester

i have mixed feelings

yes uniform is good it shows which school you are from also it keeps your home and school clothes apart

trouble comes when school dictate where to buy from and it was normally the expensive shops

that some could and some couldn't afford

shoes are difficult as some children have to wear different types of shoes be it trainers shoes or even boots

if there go far like they did in a school i went to they even dictated colour or underwear

but this was soon being put to the test when 1 parent would not buy the underwear and just used normal that went to quite a high level when the child was sent home

as you can imagine who is in there right to inspect underwear

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

The local dominoes might require their delivery person to have a driver's license and a car, but I've never seen them specify the make and model. but its not a new thing my mum used to get detention if she took her grammer school hat of on the bus. As i said we even had to wear thick navy blue knickers. Its not a new concept its just been introduced and cause things have lapsed the last few years a few dont like it

Its wrong now, and it was wrong then. Saying it is the way its always been doesn't make it right."

well my opinion is it is right

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The headmaster at Denbigh high school excluded a number of pupils on Monday for breaching school uniform rules..

Good for him I say..

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"i have mixed feelings

yes uniform is good it shows which school you are from also it keeps your home and school clothes apart

trouble comes when school dictate where to buy from and it was normally the expensive shops

shoes are difficult as some children have to wear different types of shoes be it trainers shoes or even boots

if there go far like they did in a school i went to they even dictated colour or underwear

but this was soon being put to the test when 1 parent would not buy the underwear and just used normal that went to quite a high level when the child was sent home

as you can imagine who is in there right to inspect underwear "

Underwear would be seen when changing for PE.

I think dictating underwear is going too far.

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"i have mixed feelings

as you can imagine who is in there right to inspect underwear "

wasnt even colour they had to be thick navy blue ones proper school ones

Reply privately

over a year ago

"i have mixed feelings

"

Teachers watch children change for PE class? Our schools are more different than I thought.

Reply privately

over a year ago

An interesting reflection on the times and attitudes.

Reply privately

over a year ago

And rant over

So would you join a protest movement with other parents who agree with you?

"

Of course I would. If I'd have known about the petition going round for the school near me I would have signed it, but only found out yesterday and apparently the MP has already been in about it, stating he's there to support the parents concerns.

Reply privately

By *ymeCouple
over a year ago

winchester

I'n junior school maybe but not in senior school

must admit i do like blur leotards lol

"i have mixed feelings

Teachers watch children change for PE class? Our schools are more different than I thought."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"i have mixed feelings

Teachers watch children change for PE class? Our schools are more different than I thought."

Not that I know of but the other children will see and may comment.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Wether you think the rules are stupid or not, these are the first set of rules any child will have to adhere to. Ok the parents are the ones buying the shoes and clothing, but the school rules are there for a reason.

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Wether you think the rules are stupid or not, these are the first set of rules any child will have to adhere to. Ok the parents are the ones buying the shoes and clothing, but the school rules are there for a reason."

Yes, school is where they attempt to squeeze the individuality out of you.

I once went to a school where you could wear the uniform or a suit. How about that?

Reply privately

By *layfulCouple86Couple
over a year ago

Lancashire

In theory yes, in practice it doesn't stop it happening.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Wether you think the rules are stupid or not, these are the first set of rules any child will have to adhere to. Ok the parents are the ones buying the shoes and clothing, but the school rules are there for a reason."

I'd really hope these are not the first set of rules a child will have to adhere to!

I'd like to know more about the reason the rules are there for...

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"Wether you think the rules are stupid or not, these are the first set of rules any child will have to adhere to. Ok the parents are the ones buying the shoes and clothing, but the school rules are there for a reason.

I once went to a school where you could wear the uniform or a suit. How about that?

"

All in all, it's just another......

brick in the wall

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Wether you think the rules are stupid or not, these are the first set of rules any child will have to adhere to. Ok the parents are the ones buying the shoes and clothing, but the school rules are there for a reason.

All in all, it's just another......

brick in the wall"

Oi, no dark sarcasm in the classroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

People do tend to pass comment that our dept is the best dressed. It's all fun. "

Oh what it is to be trendy... Do you agree with the issue raised in the thread ?

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

My kids haven't even started school yet but they've certainly encountered rules and they have to adhere to them

Reply privately

over a year ago

My niece didn't get sent home but she got reprimanded for not having academy branded socks in PE They didn't have any available before the holidays when her uniform was bought.

Hadn't got around to buying them from start of term as she only started on Tuesday and been working so was just one of those. I think it was wrong for her to be reprimanded for our wrongs.

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"My niece didn't get sent home but she got reprimanded for not having academy branded socks in PE They didn't have any available before the holidays when her uniform was bought.

Hadn't got around to buying them from start of term as she only started on Tuesday and been working so was just one of those. I think it was wrong for her to be reprimanded for our wrongs. "

Your wrongs? Not buying "academy branded" socks? I think there's a valuable life lesson in there for a child about not being ripped off.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My niece didn't get sent home but she got reprimanded for not having academy branded socks in PE They didn't have any available before the holidays when her uniform was bought.

Hadn't got around to buying them from start of term as she only started on Tuesday and been working so was just one of those. I think it was wrong for her to be reprimanded for our wrongs.

Your wrongs? Not buying "academy branded" socks? I think there's a valuable life lesson in there for a child about not being ripped off....."

Ours are expected to have branded socks too.

Nice little earner for somebody.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Im all for uniform i think it makes the children and school look smarter and eradicates the bullying poorer children may get for lesser brand clothes i also think that if children are being punished or excluded for breaches of uniform code its not the teachers that need to take the blame but the parents it doesnt matter if a chiild is 4 or 14 im guessing we all check that our kids have the appropriate attire before they leave the house

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"Im all for uniform i think it makes the children and school look smarter and eradicates the bullying poorer children may get for lesser brand clothes i also think that if children are being punished or excluded for breaches of uniform code its not the teachers that need to take the blame but the parents it doesnt matter if a chiild is 4 or 14 im guessing we all check that our kids have the appropriate attire before they leave the house "

It's funny. I has school uniform as a kid (I think everyone did) and I went on exchanges to both France and Germany where they don't have uniform and this was no more or less prevalent than it is here. Kids will still find things to bully other kids about - at my school it was shoes. you had to have Doc Martins.

Reply privately

over a year ago

They're well aware of who's wearing M&S trousers/shoes, what brand their bags are, what brand trainers and boots are for PE.

It doesn't make life any easier for poorer kids.

I don't mind the uniform rules too much (though I think it ought to be non branded) but I do think it's wrong that kids are put in detention for hair styles, particularly when the state of many teachers is taken into account.

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Im all for uniform i think it makes the children and school look smarter and eradicates the bullying poorer children may get for lesser brand clothes i also think that if children are being punished or excluded for breaches of uniform code its not the teachers that need to take the blame but the parents it doesnt matter if a chiild is 4 or 14 im guessing we all check that our kids have the appropriate attire before they leave the house

It's funny. I has school uniform as a kid (I think everyone did) and I went on exchanges to both France and Germany where they don't have uniform and this was no more or less prevalent than it is here. Kids will still find things to bully other kids about - at my school it was shoes. you had to have Doc Martins. "

Yes, that's 'cos kids are little shits to each other and anyone who says that "School days were the best days of our lives" was clearly never a child.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Im all for uniform i think it makes the children and school look smarter and eradicates the bullying poorer children may get for lesser brand clothes i also think that if children are being punished or excluded for breaches of uniform code its not the teachers that need to take the blame but the parents it doesnt matter if a chiild is 4 or 14 im guessing we all check that our kids have the appropriate attire before they leave the house

It's funny. I has school uniform as a kid (I think everyone did) and I went on exchanges to both France and Germany where they don't have uniform and this was no more or less prevalent than it is here. Kids will still find things to bully other kids about - at my school it was shoes. you had to have Doc Martins.

Yes, that's 'cos kids are little shits to each other and anyone who says that "School days were the best days of our lives" was clearly never a child."

Agreed.i hated school

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

Yes, that's 'cos kids are little shits to each other and anyone who says that "School days were the best days of our lives" was clearly never a child."

I didn't much like school either. Work wasn't any better. This may be why I'm self employed.

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

"Im all for uniform i think it makes the children and school look smarter and eradicates the bullying poorer children may get for lesser brand clothes i also think that if children are being punished or excluded for breaches of uniform code its not the teachers that need to take the blame but the parents it doesnt matter if a chiild is 4 or 14 im guessing we all check that our kids have the appropriate attire before they leave the house "

No the bullying still exists and since the rise social media it's at its highest ever levels. Even if it wasn't social media, there will always be the "fat kid", "the swot", "the goodie goodie", and the poorer families kids still get targeted because they can't afford the cool gear to wear outside of school. It does absolutely fuck all to help bullying

Reply privately

By *candiumWoman
over a year ago

oban

Our uniform was optional. No harm done. My mum made mine cause nothing in shops would fit plus I find artificial fibres very uncomfortable .

I find it ridiculous that schools are regulating socks and underwear. Yes they should look decent but ties are dangerous in science labs, blazers uncomfortable in summer and 'proper' shoes painful after a day in them. Trainers can be much healthier for growing feet.

I've never worked anywhere that told me what socks or knickers to wear.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Back in 1995 I was in my last year and our school started doing this. On the days my mum was at work I used to take my tie off before I got into reg class, get sent home then turn back up few hours later. Most my pals done the same thing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Im well aware bullying still exists my brothers autistic so i spent every day defending him from them it is 1 less thing to bully about though and they look a whole lot smarter as well

That and in my area at least all the schools who have uniform and strict rules in place are the ones who get great ofsted reports and the ones who dont.... Well dont

There is nothing wrong with pushing our children to be better and instilling a respect for the rules and authority in my opinion

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

"Im well aware bullying still exists my brothers autistic so i spent every day defending him from them it is 1 less thing to bully about though and they look a whole lot smarter as well

That and in my area at least all the schools who have uniform and strict rules in place are the ones who get great ofsted reports and the ones who dont.... Well dont

There is nothing wrong with pushing our children to be better and instilling a respect for the rules and authority in my opinion "

It isn't though the kids still get it especially the ones in hand me downs or pre-owned academy uniforms (where the academies allow that)

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Im well aware bullying still exists my brothers autistic so i spent every day defending him from them it is 1 less thing to bully about though and they look a whole lot smarter as well

There is nothing wrong with pushing our children to be better and instilling a respect for the rules and authority in my opinion "

Nothing wrong with educating them to challenge fuckwit rules and think independently either.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is nothing wrong with pushing our children to be better and instilling a respect for the rules and authority in my opinion

Nothing wrong with educating them to challenge fuckwit rules and think independently either."

If a rule hasn't got a rationale behind it, then most likely it is worthless.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Have to buy most things from the school shop and ots bloody expensive especially when they get to senior school x

Reply privately

By *r DeviantMan
over a year ago

Nowhere Land

IMO these acadamies will be the downfall of our education system. The old schools are taken away and these acadamy people brought in. Where i live one particular group are taking over all the local schools and purely being run for profit and a handsome one at that. What ever happened to the priority and thats childrens education

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'd fully support the teachers in enforcing uniform rules. And parents who are that bothered can just send their child to a different school.

Anyway you need uniform rules to give all the basically well behaved teenagers something to rebel against. If their big act of defiance is wearing red socks it's not quite as bad as smoking crack behind the bike sheds

Reply privately

over a year ago

I wore black trainers to school, they noticed 6 months later .

Reply privately

By *uckandbunnyCouple
over a year ago

In your bed

I get why schools do this. Do they really care about shoes?

Do they fuck. It's about setting the same standards for all.

Other kids see that boundaries are taken seriously and applied and so are therefore more likely to not try to push other boundaries.

I'm sure that parent will love the attention they have gained from kicking up a stink. Nice example to set their kids, do your best to annoy the teachers.

Just like fab there are plenty of other schools. If they don't like the rules then take your kids elsewhere.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Maybe they should make all the teachers wear a uniform aswell. An then try an enforce the rules!!!

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"I get why schools do this. Do they really care about shoes?

Other kids see that boundaries are taken seriously and applied and so are therefore more likely to not try to push other boundaries.

I'm sure that parent will love the attention they have gained from kicking up a stink. Nice example to set their kids, do your best to annoy the teachers.

Just like fab there are plenty of other schools. If they don't like the rules then take your kids elsewhere. "

Exactly my _iew too.

There are parents selling their houses, lying to get their kids into schools that have rules, standards and results and at the other end of the scale parents enjoying their fifteen minutes to the detriment of their children.

Some people really don't look at the bigger picture.

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

Just like fab there are plenty of other schools. If they don't like the rules then take your kids elsewhere. "

The problem is all secondary schools are getting phased into being academies with the same strict rules so soon there will be no where else to send them. There's now even talk of switching primary schools to academies too

Reply privately

By *uckandbunnyCouple
over a year ago

In your bed

Just like fab there are plenty of other schools. If they don't like the rules then take your kids elsewhere.

The problem is all secondary schools are getting phased into being academies with the same strict rules so soon there will be no where else to send them. There's now even talk of switching primary schools to academies too "

Good for the schools.

The parents can set up their own free school if they want a more lenient environment.

Everyone saying give them a day to get it right ignore the fact that warning letters will also be ignored. So then 5 days later those kids have not be corrected and others are noticing that not all rules apply.

Ive been on both sides of this and I'd hope the school stands their ground as do probably 99% of the other parents. I'd imagine there are other issues around with some of these parents and kids.

If it was me and my children we'd be in the car down to big asda. £10 later back at school ready to go.

But no these parents call the press.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Exactly my _iew too.

There are parents selling their houses, lying to get their kids into schools that have rules, standards and results and at the other end of the scale parents enjoying their fifteen minutes to the detriment of their children.

Some people really don't look at the bigger picture. "

Reply privately

By *rank n BettyCouple
over a year ago

Not meeting

The problem is all secondary schools are getting phased into being academies with the same strict rules so soon there will be no where else to send them. There's now even talk of switching primary schools to academies too "

My youngest's primary is now an academy. The 6 feeder schools are becoming part of a Multi Academy Trust with the high school

JG x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Maybe they should make all the teachers wear a uniform aswell. An then try an enforce the rules!!!"

Some do enforce a dress code for teachers, in the same way as some businesses do.

Reply privately