over a year ago

London

Who's done it? Did you hate it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *orkie321bWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

"Who's done it? Did you hate it?"

I'm a live in carer for my mum and my thoughts on it change on an almost daily basis.

I don't hate caring so much as i hate the fact i have to do it. I would give anything for my mum to not need me. I wish she could have a fun and active life instead of needing me to look after her.

The worst thing for me is i never get a day off or a holiday. Sometimes i would love to just say fuck it and go away for a few days, but i can't. It would just take too much planning and be stressful trying to organise respite care and i would only worry while i was away anyhow.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I haven't done it but witnessed it almost destroying my parents marriage when they had an elderly relative living at home.

By *uby0000Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

my daughter will be having 24 hour care in her house i dont envy them as its long hours

By *opsy Rogers OP   Woman
over a year ago

London

"Who's done it? Did you hate it?

I'm a live in carer for my mum and my thoughts on it change on an almost daily basis.

I don't hate caring so much as i hate the fact i have to do it. I would give anything for my mum to not need me. I wish she could have a fun and active life instead of needing me to look after her.

The worst thing for me is i never get a day off or a holiday. Sometimes i would love to just say fuck it and go away for a few days, but i can't. It would just take too much planning and be stressful trying to organise respite care and i would only worry while i was away anyhow."

It's so hard, isn't it. I'm considering working for a large company that provide live in carers for all sorts of needs but it's probably going to be easier for me.

Would you trust anyone else to look after her?

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

wife does live in care for one client, means she is away from home for 4-5days a week before i see her. long hours like 6 in the morning till about 12 at night, but you do get time out she says sometimes she has nothing to do for several hours at a time.

over a year ago

Hats off to you all that do an amazing job a lot of other people wouldn't

By *orkie321bWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

The worst thing for me is i never get a day off or a holiday. Sometimes i would love to just say fuck it and go away for a few days, but i can't. It would just take too much planning and be stressful trying to organise respite care and i would only worry while i was away anyhow.

It's so hard, isn't it. I'm considering working for a large company that provide live in carers for all sorts of needs but it's probably going to be easier for me.

Would you trust anyone else to look after her?"

I would trust my sisters, but one lives some distance away and the other one doesn't give a flying fuck.

It will be different for you because it's not a loved one you are caring for and you are doing it out of choice and not because you have to because there is nobody else to do it.

I think people who care for a living are amazing. They work long hours for usually low pay and in my experience they genuinely love what they do. The ladies who looked after my grandad in his last few months were like this and they really do make a difference.

over a year ago

Would you trust anyone else to look after her?

I would trust my sisters, but one lives some distance away and the other one doesn't give a flying fuck.

It will be different for you because it's not a loved one you are caring for and you are doing it out of choice and not because you have to because there is nobody else to do it.

I think people who care for a living are amazing. They work long hours for usually low pay and in my experience they genuinely love what they do. The ladies who looked after my grandad in his last few months were like this and they really do make a difference. "

well done and tho maybe your choices are limited and you have to do as you do you have my respect. I did some care for my mum when I did not have live ins available and oversaw the care when I had live ins. It's tough..very tough and quite frankly unless you've actually done it 24/7 most people haven't a clue. I did what I could for my mum and it certainly was one nail in the marriage coffin. I sincerely wish you well...and happy to chat if ever the need. Oh...do I say ..."...nice tits"...at this point....lol. I am joking..well a bit...!!!!

Post new Message to Thread