Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

laptop insurance

Jump to newest

By *uckscouple2007 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bucks

anyone have experience of insurance policies for computer equipment (like protect your bubble) ?

this machine is on its last legs (displays rolls like an old telly) and OUR household policy EXCLUDES computers designed to be mobile

- so we cannot claim against that !!

have seen few policies on line which cover laptops, etc but wonder if any peeps on here have experience of claiming against SUCH policies??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Someone spilled a drink over my laptop and I claimed on the household policy no problem.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Erm... correct me if I'm wrong but if something is on its last legs then why should the insurance company pay for it?

If your car is just really old, you presumably wouldn't claim on your car insurance for a new one, you'd save up and buy a new one? No?

Or am I just living in a different world?

over a year ago

Bucks

"Someone spilled a drink over my laptop and I claimed on the household policy no problem. "

we checked our policy and "equipment designed to be mobile is excluded

over a year ago

Bucks

"

If your car is just really old, you presumably wouldn't claim on your car insurance for a new one?

"

that seems the norm these days according to the press lol

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"

If your car is just really old, you presumably wouldn't claim on your car insurance for a new one?

that seems the norm these days according to the press lol"

Well I tend not to read the papers... I guess I can manage to work out what the 'norm' is without consulting the press.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"anyone have experience of insurance policies for computer equipment (like protect your bubble) ?

this machine is on its last legs (displays rolls like an old telly) and OUR household policy EXCLUDES computers designed to be mobile

- so we cannot claim against that !!

have seen few policies on line which cover laptops, etc but wonder if any peeps on here have experience of claiming against SUCH policies??"

If its in the house shouldn't your company pay out? If its damaged already how can you insure it afterwards? A bit lost on this one.

over a year ago

think you would get short shrift from any insurance company if you bought a policy on something on it's last legs expecting new replacement, they usually require reciepts for things like that....a lot of good laptops sold now for under £300, but wouldn't buy a shop sold policy to cover it

over a year ago

I've never known any insurance company pay for something which has simply worn out so I cannot see that ever happening.

The usual exclusions in any policy would include 'fair wear and tear'

over a year ago

you can extend your household policy to cover laptops/pda's/mobile phones on an All Risk basis however as with any policy, wear and tear is excluded.

If your laptop is simply getting to the end of it's life then there is no policy in the world that will indemnify you.

Post new Message to Thread