Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

London City Airport protests

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

9 members of a protest group called Black Lives Matter have chained themselves together on the runway at London city airport today causing a lot of disruption to flights. Their statement, in part, says;

"Whilst at London City Airport a small elite is able to fly, in 2016 alone 3,176 migrants are known to have died or gone missing in the Mediterranean.

"Black people are the first to die, not the first to fly, in this racist climate crisis.

"We note, however, that the UK is willing to charter special flights to remove black people from the country based on their immigration status."

I totally agree with people's right to protest but I disagree with this method.

Thoughts?

mr j

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"9 members of a protest group called Black Lives Matter have chained themselves together on the runway at London city airport today causing a lot of disruption to flights. Their statement, in part, says;

"Whilst at London City Airport a small elite is able to fly, in 2016 alone 3,176 migrants are known to have died or gone missing in the Mediterranean.

"Black people are the first to die, not the first to fly, in this racist climate crisis.

"We note, however, that the UK is willing to charter special flights to remove black people from the country based on their immigration status."

Thoughts?

mr j"

"Black Lives Matter" is a racist group

"All lives matter"

not just black lives

over a year ago

What I can't understand according to the news is that "black people have a 28% more chance of dying from air pollution"

WTF

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Yes all lives matter but their belief is that black lives are treated as mattering less in the western world. I'm not saying anything about their politics or beliefs, just asking about the protest method.

mr j

over a year ago

"Yes all lives matter but their belief is that black lives are treated as mattering less in the western world. I'm not saying anything about their politics or beliefs, just asking about the protest method.

mr j"

I also disagree with their methods and hope the law treats the protesters with the discipline required

over a year ago

Cant help feel the important message is going to get hijacked now and diluted.

Anarchists hopping on trend to promote a different agenda.

Wish they would target something other than transport as too much disruption to collateral support.

Perhaps have a good old fashioned occupy movement of a public space. Somehow think they won't have the legs for that.

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

I don't think this is going to help their cause in that it is likely to turn some public opinion against their members. The Black Lives Matter campaign is a very worthy one in that in the USA there have been several high profile killings of black citizens by armed police. Conversely a serving US police officer is statistically more likely to be killed by a black male than any other demographic. It is good that a protest group is making this issue visible to a wider public.

But blocking an airport has nothing to do with the groups core cause and could be viewed as a "rent a mob" hijacking a legit movement simply to cause mass disruption for the sake of it in the same way as the Class War clashes recently in Shoreditch.

over a year ago

I think in America they are sadly making a very, very valid point.

I have no idea what this is attempting to highlight and can't make any sense of their statement

By *axandbooCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

"9 members of a protest group called Black Lives Matter have chained themselves together on the runway at London city airport today causing a lot of disruption to flights. Their statement, in part, says;

Thoughts?

mr j"

Right to protest yes...and all lives matter.

3,176 died in the Mediterranean...how many were black? How many were white? How many were christains? Muslims? Jewish?

Also blacks die first? I do not believe that for a second. Death doesnt go for skin colour!....unless we are watching an episode of star trek then never go for a red shirt!

We live in a country where all areas are multi-racial. Yes there are pockets of racism...but it is on both sides and as long as people remain ignorant there will always be that issue.

We all bleed the same colour blood, we all feel pain and we all have the right to live, peacefully and happily.

As for chaining yourself to a private airfield. They would of made a bigger impact hitting heathrow or gatwick....which also cater to the elite classes

over a year ago

Carry on using the runway as normal. If that means they get run over then there are 9 less assholes taking up oxygen.

over a year ago

Bunch of pricks jumping on a cause that has nothing to do with them or will never affect them. But it makes them feel better about themselves

over a year ago

"Bunch of pricks jumping on a cause that has nothing to do with them or will never affect them. But it makes them feel better about themselves "

They are a bunch of pricks who think their opinion is inherently superior to everyone else's and therefore they can bypass the established political and legal process of making change to just force their opinions on others.

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

Not got an issue about peaceful protest but chaining themselves on to a runway, I do have

they should be arrested. If that was a pissed up football fan we would be quoted as hooligans and what not

Post new Message to Thread