Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

I need a new wok

Jump to newest

By *ason_silver OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

I decided to cook myself a nice bit of Chinese food earlier – stir fried egg noodles (the proper ones from pretty much any “Chinatown” on the planet) with onions, peppers, mushrooms (Shiitake, black fungus, and western) and a bit of chicken – flavoured with a bit of soy, garlic and chilli.

I noticed that my wok (a local variant – Teflon coated with a nice sturdy rubber handle) was on its death bed – I really miss the proper ones you have to oil coat to stop them rusting – cos this one rusts like you would not believe.

And the real question – Is it just me or are certain people putting any shit they can think of to start a new thread – to start a fight – or even just to get noticed.

I know we all have a little bit of that in us – but recently it seems to have accelerated.

BTW – my wok is bigger that yours!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Now I like your style. And I feel your pain. I know exactly what you mean about rusting

over a year ago

i own a big frying pan - no wok

over a year ago

"Now I like your style. And I feel your pain. I know exactly what you mean about rusting "

Don't get me started on rusting; my baking trays seem to breed rust

over a year ago

"

And the real question – Is it just me or are certain people putting any shit they can think of to start a new thread – to start a fight – or even just to get noticed.

"

Seems to be the status quo recently. #shitband

By *edRapscallionMan
over a year ago

London

What you seem to be wanting is a cast-iron wok that needs less of the shite that gets posted on the forum like the FAF threads, which really don't promote longevity in a pan or a perfect fry-up in the same, and instead needs more quality ingredients. Such ingredients are out there. A pan can only hold so much - what you seek might be outside it.

over a year ago

How about new pants?

over a year ago

Sorry was I being blonde again? And was this thread actually an oxymoronic thread ?

over a year ago

"Sorry was I being blonde again? And was this thread actually an oxymoronic thread ? "

And not about woks? But I do feel you with the wok thing

over a year ago

"

Seems to be the status quo recently. #shitband

"

See I'm getting better at this shit just realised he wasn't actually moaning about woks sob sob

over a year ago

I use a carbon steel wok, it's lasted me a while so far

over a year ago

"How about new pants? "

WHAT! get rid of those beauties

over a year ago

Did you scrub it hard after use?you are only suppose to give it a light swill.My is black as hell and every meal I do in it is delicious.I heard someone mention putting some Coca-Cola in it and put it on a slow simmer for a few minutes,dry it with a kitchen towel then put a slight smear of oil in it,very lightly clean it and it should be O.K.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I had a wok, it rusted and I threw it away

over a year ago

"I decided to cook myself a nice bit of Chinese food earlier – stir fried egg noodles (the proper ones from pretty much any “Chinatown” on the planet) with onions, peppers, mushrooms (Shiitake, black fungus, and western) and a bit of chicken – flavoured with a bit of soy, garlic and chilli.

I noticed that my wok (a local variant – Teflon coated with a nice sturdy rubber handle) was on its death bed – I really miss the proper ones you have to oil coat to stop them rusting – cos this one rusts like you would not believe.

And the real question – Is it just me or are certain people putting any shit they can think of to start a new thread – to start a fight"

I was actually about to start arguing that stir fry isn't Chinese

over a year ago

its not about woks atall i guess

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"I decided to cook myself a nice bit of Chinese food earlier – stir fried egg noodles (the proper ones from pretty much any “Chinatown” on the planet) with onions, peppers, mushrooms (Shiitake, black fungus, and western) and a bit of chicken – flavoured with a bit of soy, garlic and chilli.

I know we all have a little bit of that in us – but recently it seems to have accelerated.

BTW – my wok is bigger that yours!!"

Fill it with salt and put on high heat for five minutes, then clean out with a piece of kitchen roll.

Never wash woks or pans which you use to cook eggs.

By *ason_silver OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"How about new pants? "

I didn't even try and my now famous pants got mentioned

By *ason_silver OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"What you seem to be wanting is a cast-iron wok that needs less of the shite that gets posted on the forum like the FAF threads, which really don't promote longevity in a pan or a perfect fry-up in the same, and instead needs more quality ingredients. Such ingredients are out there. A pan can only hold so much - what you seek might be outside it."

reminds me of Ken Hom's "black book" - where I started...

By *ason_silver OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Sorry was I being blonde again? And was this thread actually an oxymoronic thread ?

And not about woks? But I do feel you with the wok thing "

lets say it was 50 / 50

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

You've never really known someone till you wok a mile in their shoes

over a year ago

Quasimodos wife was walking to the kitchen carrying a wok

Quasie said . " you doing a Chinese meal ?

She said " No I'm just ironing your shirts

By *ason_silver OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

well - at least I know a lot more about woks now

By *ason_silver OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

now I'm not calling anyone an obvious oxymoron but...

Post new Message to Thread