Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

When is middle age?

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

What age range is middle aged these days?

At 51 I was told that I'm not there yet.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

in that case im well in - but i act younger than a lot of 30 somethings at work

over a year ago

and maybe if i read licketys post right i might not be there yet either

over a year ago

"in that case im well in - but i act younger than a lot of 30 somethings at work "

I think we are middle aged though.

over a year ago

With guys it's when you buy a motorbike or convertible sports car, you are beyond mid life when you feel the urge for a ride on lawnmower, no idea about women....

By *nowbodyyounoMan
over a year ago

Bristol

Who knows. Depends on how long we each live for. I'd say 40, personally - but from about 35 onwards I no longer felt 'young'.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"With guys it's when you buy a motorbike or convertible sports car, you are beyond mid life when you feel the urge for a ride on lawnmower, no idea about women...."

Oh my God I've been middle aged since I was 15

over a year ago

"Who knows. Depends on how long we each live for. I'd say 40, personally - but from about 35 onwards I no longer felt 'young'. "

I started using it in my late 30s - 75 is a decent enough age to go.

over a year ago

"With guys it's when you buy a motorbike or convertible sports car, you are beyond mid life when you feel the urge for a ride on lawnmower, no idea about women....

Oh my God I've been middle aged since I was 15 "

I can believe that.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I don't feel I'm there yet

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

im in the "old enough to know youth is wasted on the youth, young enough to take advantage of that knowledge" time...

its the 'living life now' age..do it now..because you may not get another chance to...i'm just making sure, i have no regrets.

By *ficouldMan
over a year ago

a quandary, could you change my mind?

Not sure if I'm past middle of my age or not..

Somedays I don't want to be..

Others I want to of already done it twice

over a year ago

"in that case im well in - but i act younger than a lot of 30 somethings at work

I think we are middle aged though. "

shhhhhhhhhhhh

over a year ago

saga havent clocked me yet =

over a year ago

"With guys it's when you buy a motorbike or convertible sports car, you are beyond mid life when you feel the urge for a ride on lawnmower, no idea about women....

Oh my God I've been middle aged since I was 15 "

Better middle aged than awkward youth

over a year ago

"saga havent clocked me yet = "

They sent me something on my 50th!

over a year ago

"saga havent clocked me yet =

They sent me something on my 50th!"

ive slipped through the net

over a year ago

I'm 51 and I don't class myself as middle aged...

heck, I don't even know what being middle aged entails but my 12 year old child keeps me young and on my toes

over a year ago

Why were the Middle Ages called thus?

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"Who knows. Depends on how long we each live for. I'd say 40, personally - but from about 35 onwards I no longer felt 'young'. "

I feel pretty young, but I keep being told I'm not.

over a year ago

"What age range is middle aged these days?

At 51 I was told that I'm not there yet. "

For Me now no more clubbing getting d*unk and high and all the hyper things I did twenty years ago especially now I've got grey hair's .

over a year ago

"Why were the Middle Ages called thus?"

Is it a corruption of Medieval? I've never really thought about it but now I will.

over a year ago

If I'm middle aged I don't feel it. I haven't lost touch with everyday technology. I still know what young people are talking about. I don't need an afternoon nap. I don't take a flask of tea on a day out. I never get bed socks for xmas. I prefer a night on the town than a night in front of the tv with a board game and I hate The Antiques Road Show. Stuff middle age!!!!!

over a year ago

"If I'm middle aged I don't feel it. I haven't lost touch with everyday technology. I still know what young people are talking about. I don't need an afternoon nap. I don't take a flask of tea on a day out. I never get bed socks for xmas. I prefer a night on the town than a night in front of the tv with a board game and I hate The Antiques Road Show. Stuff middle age!!!!!"

So middle aged is a set of behaviours rather than an age bracket?

over a year ago

"If I'm middle aged I don't feel it. I haven't lost touch with everyday technology. I still know what young people are talking about. I don't need an afternoon nap. I don't take a flask of tea on a day out. I never get bed socks for xmas. I prefer a night on the town than a night in front of the tv with a board game and I hate The Antiques Road Show. Stuff middle age!!!!!

"

It's probably an age thing by definition but as a kid I used to think that middle aged people did boring stuff. Everyone is different. One of my girlfiends is only a few years older than me and she sits in front of the tv knitting and likes flannalette sheets on her bed!!!!

over a year ago

"If I'm middle aged I don't feel it. I haven't lost touch with everyday technology. I still know what young people are talking about. I don't need an afternoon nap. I don't take a flask of tea on a day out. I never get bed socks for xmas. I prefer a night on the town than a night in front of the tv with a board game and I hate The Antiques Road Show. Stuff middle age!!!!!

It's probably an age thing by definition but as a kid I used to think that middle aged people did boring stuff. Everyone is different. One of my girlfiends is only a few years older than me and she sits in front of the tv knitting and likes flannalette sheets on her bed!!!!"

I've been listening to R4 since I was 17 so I'm predisposed to being middle aged.

over a year ago

1/2 the average life expectancy age so probably 40's ~ however it's deemed the 50's are the new 40's so who knows...

over a year ago

I think I'm there now. Meh. Whatever.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

It's probably an age thing by definition but as a kid I used to think that middle aged people did boring stuff. Everyone is different. One of my girlfiends is only a few years older than me and she sits in front of the tv knitting and likes flannalette sheets on her bed!!!!

I've been listening to R4 since I was 17 so I'm predisposed to being middle aged.

"

I like R4. I'm starting to see where people are coming from now......

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

[Removed by poster at 04/09/16 22:02:25]

over a year ago

"If I'm middle aged I don't feel it. I haven't lost touch with everyday technology. I still know what young people are talking about. I don't need an afternoon nap. I don't take a flask of tea on a day out. I never get bed socks for xmas. I prefer a night on the town than a night in front of the tv with a board game and I hate The Antiques Road Show. Stuff middle age!!!!!"

Is it bad we liked some of those things when we were in our 20's?

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Based upon a northern exposure episode

Its individual

Based upon when one realises or feels one has lived for a longer time than one has left to live

Or feels one has less active life ahead than has gone before

Xxx

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Late 50s onwards - more people today will live into their 100s.

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Middle age is a frame of mind. Once you succumb to it life is wasted. Never give in, surround yourself with young people and stay young yourself.

"

By *GHertsCouple
over a year ago

North Herts

"

I was going to say this ..... my parents for example seemed 'middle aged' when they were in their 30s, never mind 40s or 50s. For me the term has always been rather derogatory rather than a reference to a particular age bracket, and I'd use it to describe people say 40s onwards who appeared set in their ways, rather narrow minded, reluctant to try anything new, who'd perhaps rather lost touch with current trends in music, fashion, film, technology etc (not saying they have to embrace them but having no awareness, and no interest in finding out). However of course that doesn't apply to all 40 pluses .... I'd be horrified to be called middle aged at 51, or at any age ....

Ms G

By *dam and slutCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

If you remember Mangles, you are beyond middle age

By *obwithkiltMan
over a year ago

Belton

At last festival working I was not believed when I told a group i was with my age. ..They had guessed early 30's..one girl was adamant until I showed id.....it's all in how you feel and act...me I still feel 26 and I have wanted a ride on mover since I was 8

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I'm 54 and had to have a self imposed mid life crisis, I'll be an old fogie soon

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Not sure.

If it's any consolation I always figured that old age is 5 years more than my current age?

over a year ago

"

I like R4. I'm starting to see where people are coming from now...... "

When I have to go to an office/meetings all day I do miss my R4 schedule. It regulates my day.

The Matter of the North last week was really interesting. www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07tczl3/episodes/downloads

Yesterday morning we had three programmes in a row about languages and dialects and then there are the comedies.

By *hropscouple27Couple
over a year ago

Sth Staffs

I think mid 40s, only because we are planning our first cruise for then.

over a year ago

"Late 50s onwards - more people today will live into their 100s. "

I'm planning to go much sooner than that so I'll stick with being middle aged for now and I'll be properly old in 5 years.

I can already access the over 50s lunch club. Three courses for £2.50.

over a year ago

"If you remember Mangles, you are beyond middle age"

We did have a mangle.

over a year ago

"Not sure.

If it's any consolation I always figured that old age is 5 years more than my current age?"

That puts me firmly in old age then.

over a year ago

"With guys it's when you buy a motorbike or convertible sports car, you are beyond mid life when you feel the urge for a ride on lawnmower, no idea about women...."
A motorbike? A convertible?

Had a motorcycle since 17, and rag tops all my life. I'm nearly 60.

My while life has been mid life!

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"Late 50s onwards - more people today will live into their 100s.

I'm planning to go much sooner than that so I'll stick with being middle aged for now and I'll be properly old in 5 years.

I can already access the over 50s lunch club. Three courses for £2.50.

"

Sneak me in too

I don't think I want an incredibly long life, though I might also keep adding a bit extra, if I approached a known end point.

over a year ago

"With guys it's when you buy a motorbike or convertible sports car, you are beyond mid life when you feel the urge for a ride on lawnmower, no idea about women....A motorbike? A convertible?

Had a motorcycle since 17, and rag tops all my life. I'm nearly 60.

My while life has been mid life! "

*whole*

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

"Based upon a northern exposure episode

Its individual

Based upon when one realises or feels one has lived for a longer time than one has left to live

Or feels one has less active life ahead than has gone before

Xxx"

or that there is so much left to do and you start to rush to cram it all in before you cant...

over a year ago

Oh but I don't want to be middle aged!

But to be honest I feel it mostly when I'm around 20 somethings!

I work with a lot of them and they make me feel old!

I guess if I make it to 82 then I've lived a long life!

over a year ago

Middle age is a frame of mind. Once you succumb to it life is wasted. Never give in, surround yourself with young people and stay young yourself.

"

Meh, I can't stand being around younger people

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Saga Swingers holiday anyone

over a year ago

I was going to say this ..... my parents for example seemed 'middle aged' when they were in their 30s, never mind 40s or 50s. For me the term has always been rather derogatory rather than a reference to a particular age bracket, and I'd use it to describe people say 40s onwards who appeared set in their ways, rather narrow minded, reluctant to try anything new, who'd perhaps rather lost touch with current trends in music, fashion, film, technology etc (not saying they have to embrace them but having no awareness, and no interest in finding out). However of course that doesn't apply to all 40 pluses .... I'd be horrified to be called middle aged at 51, or at any age ....

Ms G"

I think it's more a state of mind.

I need more info about the midlife crisis. I have a bit of room left for more outrageous memories.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I have a bit of room left for more outrageous memories. "

Cor blimey missus, how outrageous do you want me to be

By *eliz NelsonMan
over a year ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

Have managed to avoid SAGA here too..

If they do catch up with me, even if it is only 1 or 2 leaflets! I swear I will hire a bulldozer, burst through their HQ's 'freakin' front doors and dump the 'bas...d' leaflets back on their doormat!

I think middle age begins at 64

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

"Saga Swingers holiday anyone "
with you anytime..but im not old enough for saga yet..im getting there though lololxx

By *dam and slutCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

"If you remember Mangles, you are beyond middle age

We did have a mangle.

"

Did you ever think, l wonder if it hurts if l put my fingers in..grinz

Re R4..love it, wish l had discovered it earlier in my life...love listening to melvin bragg...Home front..comedies etc..Monday sees a return of some comedian touring cities. .Stockports turn.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Saga Swingers holiday anyone with you anytime..but im not old enough for saga yet..im getting there though lololxx"

I'll wait for you xx

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

"Saga Swingers holiday anyone with you anytime..but im not old enough for saga yet..im getting there though lololxx

I'll wait for you xx "

cant we just dump saga and go on an adult holiday anyway?

By *dam and slutCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

"Saga Swingers holiday anyone with you anytime..but im not old enough for saga yet..im getting there though lololxx"

Off topic...l want to say...congratulations on your collaring..

over a year ago

"If you remember Mangles, you are beyond middle age

We did have a mangle.

Did you ever think, l wonder if it hurts if l put my fingers in..grinz

Re R4..love it, wish l had discovered it earlier in my life...love listening to melvin bragg...Home front..comedies etc..Monday sees a return of some comedian touring cities. .Stockports turn."

Mark Steel's in Town is Wednesday at 6.30pm.

By *lactontogMan
over a year ago

Clacton on Sea

I'm 55 a granddad of 8 & middle aged but definitely not ready to retire from swinging yet.

While i can hold my own in clubs & here on Fab I'm happy to carry on having fun, attitude & how you present yourself win hands down on age.

Middle age ain't too bad...it's how you handle it that matters guys/girls.

over a year ago

Being pedantic I'd say middle aged was half-way through your life!

I'm 48 on Thursday (read the small print! ) so I'd say I'm middle aged - unless I live to be over 100!

Doesn't bother me in the slightest though. I look and act younger than I am, and because of that most of my friends are younger! Having fun with the kids keeps me young too. This week we did foot golf and trampolining - both great fun!

By *eliz NelsonMan
over a year ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

"Being pedantic I'd say middle aged was half-way through your life!

I'm 48 on Thursday (read the small print! ) so I'd say I'm middle aged - unless I live to be over 100!

Doesn't bother me in the slightest though. I look and act younger than I am, and because of that most of my friends are younger! Having fun with the kids keeps me young too. This week we did foot golf and trampolining - both great fun! "

Foot golf???

over a year ago

Id say around 50 though i dnt feel middle aged

over a year ago

Doesn't bother me in the slightest though. I look and act younger than I am, and because of that most of my friends are younger! Having fun with the kids keeps me young too. This week we did foot golf and trampolining - both great fun!

Foot golf??? "

Yeah! You kick a football across a hundred yards or so of uneven ground, dips etc (like golf) into a hole in the ground rather than a net! Xx

over a year ago

"I'm 55 a granddad of 8 & middle aged but definitely not ready to retire from swinging yet.

While i can hold my own in clubs & here on Fab I'm happy to carry on having fun, attitude & how you present yourself win hands down on age.

Middle age ain't too bad...it's how you handle it that matters guys/girls."

Wouldn't you prefer someone to hold yours for you?

over a year ago

Doesn't bother me in the slightest though. I look and act younger than I am, and because of that most of my friends are younger! Having fun with the kids keeps me young too. This week we did foot golf and trampolining - both great fun! "

I saw a sign for foot golf when I was out with the children. They weren't convinced.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"Why were the Middle Ages called thus?

Is it a corruption of Medieval? I've never really thought about it but now I will.

"

Joe will know

By *lactontogMan
over a year ago

Clacton on Sea

"I'm 55 a granddad of 8 & middle aged but definitely not ready to retire from swinging yet.

Middle age ain't too bad...it's how you handle it that matters guys/girls.

Wouldn't you prefer someone to hold yours for you? "

I ain't short of offers yet lol x

over a year ago

Is it when you have a forty year old on your left and a seventy year old on your right?

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I didnt start wearing,playsuits and mini skirts until i was 50 so i shall not become middle aged just yet.

Theoretically about 37 but i class people about 65 as middle aged.

No heather coloured cardi or brown crimpoline trousers for me yet

over a year ago

"Is it when you have a forty year old on your left and a seventy year old on your right?"

Maybe...

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Id say around 50 though i dnt feel middle aged"

You'll soon be feeling a middle aged man

over a year ago

"Id say around 50 though i dnt feel middle aged

You'll soon be feeling a middle aged man "

Is this one of those, You're only as old as the person you're feeling?

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Saga Swingers holiday anyone with you anytime..but im not old enough for saga yet..im getting there though lololxx

I'll wait for you xx cant we just dump saga and go on an adult holiday anyway?"

Do Butlins do "Adult" themed nights

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

The U.K. Average life expectancy for women is 81 so logic would dictate your middle aged in the late 30s/early 40s

over a year ago

I'll wait for you xx cant we just dump saga and go on an adult holiday anyway?

Do Butlins do "Adult" themed nights "

I think they do now.

over a year ago

"The U.K. Average life expectancy for women is 81 so logic would dictate your middle aged in the late 30s/early 40s "

Exactly!

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Is this one of those, You're only as old as the person you're feeling?

"

Sort of, I suppose

over a year ago

You'll soon be feeling a middle aged man "

yes i know just make sure that you get plenty of sleep before hand

over a year ago

"The U.K. Average life expectancy for women is 81 so logic would dictate your middle aged in the late 30s/early 40s

Exactly!"

so we are old buggers then - hey up

By *lactontogMan
over a year ago

Clacton on Sea

"The U.K. Average life expectancy for women is 81 so logic would dictate your middle aged in the late 30s/early 40s

Exactly!

so we are old buggers then - hey up "

Yep we're all going to get old disgracefully lol.

over a year ago

Exactly!

so we are old buggers then - hey up "

I think we can't claim old until we claim our pensions (OAP). Until then, we're middle aged.

over a year ago

Exactly!

Yep we're all going to get old disgracefully lol."

bring it on

By *eliz NelsonMan
over a year ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

"Is it when you have a forty year old on your left and a seventy year old on your right?"

No! Jenny Taylor! That's being a sort of 'self ageist!'

Sex, sex, sex. kink. kink and more kink just turns time on its head!

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

"Why were the Middle Ages called thus?

"

Middle Ages were from 5 the to 15th century.

The phrase was coined in the late 19th/early 20th century.

The " history" of europe was regarded as starting with the start of Christianity; ( 1st century) so the "Middle Ages" were in the middle......

Medieval : contortion of Latin ;

Medium= middle

Aevum = age

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

yes i know just make sure that you get plenty of sleep before hand "

That sounds a bit ominous

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

For men it's 75

So it's mid 30 to late 30s

By *lactontogMan
over a year ago

Clacton on Sea

Exactly!

Yep we're all going to get old disgracefully lol.

bring it on "

over a year ago

Look up 'Outlandish creations' ceramics.

I need these.

over a year ago

"Look up 'Outlandish creations' ceramics.

I need these. "

seen these

over a year ago

I'm Defoes middle aged, my teenager makes me feel ancient most days, I prefer nights in with wine by the fireplace to mad nights on town and I've no clue about all these apps and why you'd want Instagram and pouty faces and snapchat! And yeah I'm stil in my 30's.

over a year ago

yes i know just make sure that you get plenty of sleep before hand

That sounds a bit ominous "

well this meet has taking awhile so i want to make the most of it

you sleep by all means though

over a year ago

I need these. "

I wouldn't trust you with the cruet set.

over a year ago

I need these.

I wouldn't trust you with the cruet set.

"

By *ohnaronMan
over a year ago

london

Middled aged is when they take you seriously in the Harley showroom.

Post new Message to Thread