Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Out of School during term time

Jump to newest

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Call me old fashioned, but I really think that all children should receive a good education and supported by their parents.

I realise the problems and expense of holidays during school holidays but I think that holidays for children during term time should be illegal and enforced.

Let's say at an airport check in desk during term time, a family with children arrive, there should be an officer there to question why the children are not in school. Then the parents should be handed a big fine.

Thoughts???

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I think a lot more can be learned from some holidays abroad than in a classroom.

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

A week in a caravan did us as kids

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"I think a lot more can be learned from some holidays abroad than in a classroom."

Yeah right. On a beach in Spain???

Reply privately

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman
over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

Being questioned at the airport I think is a terrible idea. I wouldn't take my children out of school to go on a holiday,but parents do it because of the cost.

Reply privately

By *arksMan
over a year ago

in the centre

I no longer live with my kids , I'm taking them out of school for a holiday , the company I work for has a holiday system based on seniority , I was unable to get holidays during the main 6 weeks holiday so have a choice of either don't take them away or take them out of school ...what would you do ?

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don't care what other people do with their children.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well greedy holiday companies shouldn't hike up prices so much.

People work hard all year, some doing more than one job. a week in Spain might be the only work life balance they get.

It's also cheaper to go abroad than stay in the uk

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"I no longer live with my kids , I'm taking them out of school for a holiday , the company I work for has a holiday system based on seniority , I was unable to get holidays during the main 6 weeks holiday so have a choice of either don't take them away or take them out of school ...what would you do ? "

What would I do????

Obey the law and give my children the education they deserve.

When you conceive children you take on responsibilities and their education is one of them....doh.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Being questioned at the airport I think is a terrible idea. I wouldn't take my children out of school to go on a holiday,but parents do it because of the cost. "

What this good lady said. It's the costs as to why parents take their kids out of school during term time. You can bet if you searched a holiday during term time, then the same holiday when the schools aren't in, the prices will he vastly different.

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"Being questioned at the airport I think is a terrible idea. I wouldn't take my children out of school to go on a holiday,but parents do it because of the cost.

What this good lady said. It's the costs as to why parents take their kids out of school during term time. You can bet if you searched a holiday during term time, then the same holiday when the schools aren't in, the prices will he vastly different."

So?? Who said having kids was going to be easy. Get real.

Reply privately

By *arksMan
over a year ago

in the centre

"I no longer live with my kids , I'm taking them out of school for a holiday , the company I work for has a holiday system based on seniority , I was unable to get holidays during the main 6 weeks holiday so have a choice of either don't take them away or take them out of school ...what would you do ?

What would I do????

When you conceive children you take on responsibilities and their education is one of them....doh....."

My kids do recieve a good education , it wasn't my choice to not be with them , shame we can't all live perfect little lives isn't it

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have no thoughts, up to the individual parents as to what they do with their kids

Reply privately

over a year ago

My dad worked abroad when I was really small, I'd often had Friday and Monday off so me and mum could go and see him, I turned out ok, I don't really see any harm in it as long as the parents make sure they catch up. Ultimately I feel it's the parents decision, if the kids were home schooled no one would even question it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Culture is as important as school work, I think it depends on what year the child is in and what work they are missing. I've not taken my son out of school but I know he learns as much out of school sometimes due to the parents we are.

Reply privately

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman
over a year ago

"I no longer live with my kids , I'm taking them out of school for a holiday , the company I work for has a holiday system based on seniority , I was unable to get holidays during the main 6 weeks holiday so have a choice of either don't take them away or take them out of school ...what would you do ?

What would I do????

When you conceive children you take on responsibilities and their education is one of them....doh....."

That's not fair saying that,the guy wants to spend quality time with his children,he has explained why he can't go during the summer. I'm sure he takes his responsiblities as a parent very seriously!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Call me old fashioned, but I really think that all children should receive a good education and supported by their parents.

I realise the problems and expense of holidays during school holidays but I think that holidays for children during term time should be illegal and enforced.

Let's say at an airport check in desk during term time, a family with children arrive, there should be an officer there to question why the children are not in school. Then the parents should be handed a big fine.

Thoughts???"

Utterly draconian

Oh and what about families who holiday in the UK?

Reply privately

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

What would I do????

Actually the law doesn't say you can not take them out in term time, it states that a child should attend regularly. Google Isle of Wight case for judges interpretation of law.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I wouldn't take my children out of school for a holiday and in fairness to them they all enjoy school and wouldn't want to take time off school either.

But holidays can be educational and provide an experience for children so I wouldn't want to see such a draconian approach. I have found since they've introduced the new rules I take a more dim _iew of schools closing for strikes, sports events etc

Reply privately

over a year ago

The guy who won that court case made me laugh - that was a holiday to Disneyland Florida. Fuck off pretending it's some kind of educational cultural experience and just own up to the fact it's that you don't want to pay higher prices. And if you're that bothered about cheap holidays, don't have children.

Reply privately

By *hiterabbit6Couple
over a year ago

Sexytown, Moray

And what about all the staff that work in schools who have to pay the extortionate prices the travel companies charge as they are unable to take any hidays other than school ones ??

Reply privately

By *unnynbugsCouple
over a year ago

Neath

People have been taking their kid's out of school during term time for years. It's not a new thing. GCSE pass rates climb every year in fact they probably shold introduce a new grade above A*. What proof is there that hollidays during term time affect the kids. Personally I remember having a harder time adjusting back to school after a massive 6 week break harder than a mid term break

Reply privately

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman
over a year ago

"Being questioned at the airport I think is a terrible idea. I wouldn't take my children out of school to go on a holiday,but parents do it because of the cost.

What this good lady said. It's the costs as to why parents take their kids out of school during term time. You can bet if you searched a holiday during term time, then the same holiday when the schools aren't in, the prices will he vastly different.

So?? Who said having kids was going to be easy. Get real."

Oh dear! I think you just need gwo concentrate on yourself and your own children and don't judge what other deem fit to do with their's.

Reply privately

over a year ago

to much of the nanny state if any child is well balanced and receiving education no problem ,

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

[Removed by poster at 04/09/16 16:06:31]

Reply privately

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

"I think a lot more can be learned from some holidays abroad than in a classroom.

Yeah right. On a beach in Spain???"

As I said SOME holidays.

A beach is Spain, I would tend to agree. However, a week in Egypt learning about the culture or a week in the Peak District learning survival skills and ecology? Yep. A damn sight better than being in a classroom.

Reply privately

By *arksMan
over a year ago

in the centre

"The guy who won that court case made me laugh - that was a holiday to Disneyland Florida. Fuck off pretending it's some kind of educational cultural experience and just own up to the fact it's that you don't want to pay higher prices. And if you're that bothered about cheap holidays, don't have children."

In all fairness it doesn't cost any less to do that kind of holiday what ever time of year you go

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I would imagine teachers are working to a tight schedule and children missing a week or two will layer on even more pressure on them to catch the pupil up. I think they have a tough enough job.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The guy who won that court case made me laugh - that was a holiday to Disneyland Florida. Fuck off pretending it's some kind of educational cultural experience and just own up to the fact it's that you don't want to pay higher prices. And if you're that bothered about cheap holidays, don't have children.

In all fairness it doesn't cost any less to do that kind of holiday what ever time of year you go "

It does, flights to Florida will cost a fuck ton more in the school holidays.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think a lot more can be learned from some holidays abroad than in a classroom.

Yeah right. On a beach in Spain???"

You assume that this is the type of holiday people go on. You also seem to assume that patents who do this are automatically bad parents and that they will make no arrangements for the it children to catch up

It all seems very judgemental

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I would imagine teachers are working to a tight schedule and children missing a week or two will layer on even more pressure on them to catch the pupil up. I think they have a tough enough job. "

And oftentimes it's the same parents who like to blame the teachers if their children don't get the results they think they should.

By all means, take your children on a cheap holiday, but don't phone up the school whinging on results day.

Reply privately

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Being questioned at the airport I think is a terrible idea. I wouldn't take my children out of school to go on a holiday,but parents do it because of the cost. "

Many jobs allocate holidays too their employees, they don't get to choose.

Personally, I would like to see the six week school holidays gone anyway. It's an out-dated concept that was created so that children could help with harvesting the crops. When most people only have five weeks holidays each year, the school holidays are both a financial burden and a logistical nightmare for many parents.

Cal

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yeah right. On a beach in Spain???

You assume that this is the type of holiday people go on. You also seem to assume that patents who do this are automatically bad parents and that they will make no arrangements for the it children to catch up

It all seems very judgemental "

What arrangements though? Arrangements for the teacher to provide work for the child to catch up? Why should the teacher have to do that on top of their existing responsibilities?

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"The guy who won that court case made me laugh - that was a holiday to Disneyland Florida. Fuck off pretending it's some kind of educational cultural experience and just own up to the fact it's that you don't want to pay higher prices. And if you're that bothered about cheap holidays, don't have children."

Exactly??

Reply privately

By *arksMan
over a year ago

in the centre

"The guy who won that court case made me laugh - that was a holiday to Disneyland Florida. Fuck off pretending it's some kind of educational cultural experience and just own up to the fact it's that you don't want to pay higher prices. And if you're that bothered about cheap holidays, don't have children.

In all fairness it doesn't cost any less to do that kind of holiday what ever time of year you go

It does, flights to Florida will cost a fuck ton more in the school holidays. "

depends when you book them , I went in April and it was dearer then than the flights I booked for October

Reply privately

By *uckandbunnyCouple
over a year ago

In your bed

"Call me old fashioned, but I really think that all children should receive a good education and supported by their parents.

Thoughts???"

Really?

The state needs to expend time, money and effort on policing law abiding citizens by making laws just to make them non-Law abiding?

Maybe they should pass laws fine anyone who is swinging.

Corruption of UK moral compass.

Lock up smokers for wasting health taxes.

If you really care about children's education then I assume you support extra taxation to half class sizes.

Personally I think the state should interfere in peoples lives were real harm occurs.

A few days on holiday here and there makes no difference compared to the chances that kids have set up for them via genetic make up, socio-economic status, money spent on education etc.

Reply privately

over a year ago

it shouldn't be encouraged but certainly not made illegal. It was shown to have no effect on their education in a recent court case. If memory serves me correctly.

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

Thoughts???"

i take me kids where i want when i want its called knowing how to get away with it...'education otherwise' are the magic words...

but then ive hone schooled before... the education system in this country is bullshit..i use whats there to my kids advantage and do the rest myself..my kids are well qualified with a knowledge about life, that not many their age have..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thoughts???"

You're old fashioned. When I was growing up my parents would regularly take us out of the country during term time. It was through these trips that I was inspired to study history.

I start my PhD later this month.

Of course not all parents will use this opportunity to the same benefit but that's really their choice isn't it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

So?? Who said having kids was going to be easy. Get real."

Just re-read my comment - no, I thought I didn't put anything in there about it being easy having kids, it was just purely a comment as to why parents take their kids out of school during term time, and that's hiked-up prices. I'm not condoning what parents are doing by taking their children on holiday during term time, am merely stating why parents do what they do sometimes.

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"And what about all the staff that work in schools who have to pay the extortionate prices the travel companies charge as they are unable to take any hidays other than school ones ?? "

What about them? Teachers are paid well. they should factor in the cost of holidays during school closure

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've had my kids out the odd day at the end of term on a couple of occasions, never for a week or 2 week holiday. This has usually been for logistics reasons more than anything else. They are not in secondary school yet so I don't believe they'll be missing anything on the last day or two of term. Out of courtesy I've always written a letter to the head master and this has always been accepted

Reply privately

over a year ago

if the stuff the kids were taught at school moved with times i couldnt agree more. but at the current time the stuff you get taught in a classroom barely comes too light in the real world

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"I've had my kids out the odd day at the end of term on a couple of occasions, never for a week or 2 week holiday. This has usually been for logistics reasons more than anything else. They are not in secondary school yet so I don't believe they'll be missing anything on the last day or two of term. Out of courtesy I've always written a letter to the head master and this has always been accepted "

Sounds reasonable.Not the holidays I was referring to.

Reply privately

By *eliz NelsonMan
over a year ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

"to much of the nanny state if any child is well balanced and receiving education no problem ,"

Reply privately

By *hrisANtifCouple
over a year ago

Napoli, Italy

"Well greedy holiday companies shouldn't hike up prices so much.

People work hard all year, some doing more than one job. a week in Spain might be the only work life balance they get.

It's also cheaper to go abroad than stay in the uk"

Most holiday companies operate at a loss most of the year and only actually make any profit at all during the school holidays. The rest of the year they sell holidays for as much as they can but still at a loss to simply stay afloat. It's nothing to do with greedy, it's simply supply and demand. Anyone with the slightest business knowledge at all could understand this.

Reply privately

over a year ago

We don't have kids so don't necessarily want to weigh in too much, but when I was 10 I missed 2 weeks of school due to a holiday and it was extremely hard to catch up.

The antiquated holiday system doesn't help, as others have said the lengthy summer holiday is a relic of the past.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think a lot more can be learned from some holidays abroad than in a classroom."

Reply privately

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

We take our childrens education very seriuosly. They both have 99% attendance and are doing very well.

I have no problem at all taking them out for the odd day at the end or beginning of term, so the holiday works well.

Also a childs overall upbringing is a combination of school education, family time and life experiences.

Applicaton of common sense and good parenting would be more useful than airport school guards imo.

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"

Yes. If it can b shown that the holiday is worthwhile. But a holiday in Magaluf???

Reply privately

over a year ago

My mum was a teacher and payed well so we used to go on holiday once every two years to Switzerland during the summer holidays.

I would love to be able to aford to take my girls on holiday but as we live in rhyl we make use of the beach here.

I agree with both sides it's easy when you have plenty of money to go with the traditional holiday in the six weeks but I also agree with some holidays being valuable in educational terms.

I personally think it should stay as it is with each case being individual xxx

Reply privately

By *xoticMermaidWoman
over a year ago

NORTH WEST

Just a thought...

1. Why is education/schos slated when its the holiday companies hike up the prices

2. Not ALL teaching staff are paid all year, some are paid term-time only n the only time they are allowed off is during school hols n with the expensive costs of holidays they cant afford it on their wage

3. For those children who went on hols during term time, how do they catch up? Is it the teachers/school job to 'repeat' the entire 2 weeks worth of lessons missed? Is it at the expense of the children who attended everyday, to sit through part of the lesson whilst its explained to that child so they can understand n eventually catchup.

How many of u at some point in lesson, a child has been off n u have to sit through teacher droning on, repeating stuff wot u already learnt 2 weeks ago just so this kid can catch up? Its the tiny things parents dont realise!?!

Like I said just a thought that schools are not that well paid, get shitted on, just cos got all them holidays but guess wot...fairies dont prepare the lessons for next day, elves dont mark ur childs homework n guess wot...theyre doing the best they can...bravo to teachers/TAs/school support staff

Reply privately

over a year ago

Occasionally take mine out of school during term time for short breaks and will continue to do so as I see appropriate

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Hmmm. Some interesting responses here but I still think that education comes before holidays.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My children had 100% attendance last academic year they have zero late marks and both are above average for achieving. If they were not reaching there targets or their attendance was below 90% then I'd not take them term time.

I also get permission.from the education and I'm always upfront and honest with them why I'm removing them term time. I don't agree with pretending they are ill like I've known some parents to do.

I usually go just towards the end of terms so as they won't be missing out on any crucial learning time.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good job these laws weren't in during my schooling.

My folks would have been royally fooked.

Reply privately

By *he Queen of TartsWoman
Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

We went on holiday to Italy the 1st week of the hols, we asked the travel agent when we boked what the difference in price would have been if we had gone a week before, the last week of term. The exact same holiday would have been over £1000.00 cheaper.

That is why people take their kids out of school. I HATE getting ripped off.

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"My children had 100% attendance last academic year they have zero late marks and both are above average for achieving. If they were not reaching there targets or their attendance was below 90% then I'd not take them term time.

I also get permission.from the education and I'm always upfront and honest with them why I'm removing them term time. I don't agree with pretending they are ill like I've known some parents to do.

I usually go just towards the end of terms so as they won't be missing out on any crucial learning time.

"

A well balanced approach. Shame that not everyone is like you......

Reply privately

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

"And what about all the staff that work in schools who have to pay the extortionate prices the travel companies charge as they are unable to take any hidays other than school ones ??

What about them? Teachers are paid well. they should factor in the cost of holidays during school closure "

And what about the teaching assistants, the cooks, the dinner assistants? They aren't well paid. Yet they have little choice.

You have a very narrow minded _iew. I hope the school teaches your kids there is more than one _iew point to most things in life.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Who gives a flying fuck it's a swingers site doh!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My children had 100% attendance last academic year they have zero late marks and both are above average for achieving. If they were not reaching there targets or their attendance was below 90% then I'd not take them term time.

A well balanced approach. Shame that not everyone is like you......"

Life would be shit boring if everyone was the same. We'd be drones.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Who gives a flying fuck it's a swingers site doh!"

That's the beauty of the lounge forum. Any topic is can be discussed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Who gives a flying fuck it's a swingers site doh!

That's the beauty of the lounge forum. Any topic is can be discussed. "

Sorry it won't happen again

Reply privately

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

Pretty damn obvious what the thread was about. Don't like it? then don't read it or post.

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"And what about all the staff that work in schools who have to pay the extortionate prices the travel companies charge as they are unable to take any hidays other than school ones ??

What about them? Teachers are paid well. they should factor in the cost of holidays during school closure

And what about the teaching assistants, the cooks, the dinner assistants? They aren't well paid. Yet they have little choice.

You have a very narrow minded _iew. I hope the school teaches your kids there is more than one _iew point to most things in life. "

Well they chose their careers. The rules were there......

I chose mine and accepted the problems. Shifts, on calls, limited holiday dates, being called back to work etc etc etc. If they (the staff) can't keep to the rules.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

You know something. This thread is bollocks. There are more important things to concern yourself with than gurning about taking kids out of school for a few days for a family holiday. Those few days make no difference at all.

Why not pick on something which is more important, like the state of the health service, the debacle that is the political system, the financial system. Have you even looked into these in detail?

A medical establishment that concern themselves on the treatment of symptoms rather than to treat the cause. Why? Money!

Politics, filled with career politicians. It's bollocks too. Just going back and forward to win elections. For what? To implement changes for the better? Well they all take their time, regardless who is in power. There's another thing, it's about power. Shouldn't be, should be about the good of the people.

Bankers and financial system, well....there's a clusterfuck if i have ever come across one. Money and the greed for it shapes our world and the amazing thing is, we let it. We as a race, are so gluttonous for it, that it creates morons out of us. Not to mention we allow the powers at be to dictate the terms of our financial freedoms. Which we don't really have. Why are we in debt? That's the real doozy. That's one to research yourself. It certainly isn't for spending on the welfare, infrastructure, education, health of our nation.

So i think if anyone wants to get all uppity about trivial things. I say have a look around you. Educate yourself to what really matters and try and do something about that.

Reply privately

By *edRidingWolfCouple
over a year ago

Lydney

Well

Here is a slightly different take on things

My daughter can have a school trip to Rome... 3 days for £650

We have just been on a cruise (summer holidays).

Barcelona, Messina, Naples, Florence, Rome, Marseille and Palma Majorca.... Each port visited twice as we cruised back to back.

Cost per child...£350 per cruise so £700 in total.

They have had another tour of palatine hill and the colluseum, Pompeii and Herculaneum, el duomo and David, the uffizi gallery, Medici palace, messinas clock tower, miracle square in Pisa and Notre Dame in Marseille. I don't really begrudge them a beach day in Majorca. Each kept a travel diary and scrapbook. They have eaten real Italian, Spanish and French food, learned some of the Italian language and practiced their French and Spanish.

Would I take them out during term time for such an educational holiday... Hell yes! Am I sending my daughter on the school trip? Nope... She's been there and done that and the price is ridiculous.

Red

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You know something. This thread is bollocks. There are more important things to concern yourself with than gurning about taking kids out of school for a few days for a family holiday. Those few days make no difference at all.

Why not pick on something which is more important, like the state of the health service, the debacle that is the political system, the financial system. Have you even looked into these in detail?

A medical establishment that concern themselves on the treatment of symptoms rather than to treat the cause. Why? Money!

Politics, filled with career politicians. It's bollocks too. Just going back and forward to win elections. For what? To implement changes for the better? Well they all take their time, regardless who is in power. There's another thing, it's about power. Shouldn't be, should be about the good of the people.

Bankers and financial system, well....there's a clusterfuck if i have ever come across one. Money and the greed for it shapes our world and the amazing thing is, we let it. We as a race, are so gluttonous for it, that it creates morons out of us. Not to mention we allow the powers at be to dictate the terms of our financial freedoms. Which we don't really have. Why are we in debt? That's the real doozy. That's one to research yourself. It certainly isn't for spending on the welfare, infrastructure, education, health of our nation.

So i think if anyone wants to get all uppity about trivial things. I say have a look around you. Educate yourself to what really matters and try and do something about that. "

I'm sure the OP Can start a thread about anything they wish. If you don't like or are insulted then don't post. Or start a thread yourself about something you find more interesting.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You have a very narrow minded _iew. I hope the school teaches your kids there is more than one _iew point to most things in life.

I chose mine and accepted the problems. Shifts, on calls, limited holiday dates, being called back to work etc etc etc. If they (the staff) can't keep to the rules....."

We get it, you don't approve.

Perhaps just accept that people will do differently to you.

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"You know something. This thread is bollocks. There are more important things to concern yourself with than gurning about taking kids out of school for a few days for a family holiday. Those few days make no difference at all.

So i think if anyone wants to get all uppity about trivial things. I say have a look around you. Educate yourself to what really matters and try and do something about that. "

Riiiiiiight

Ok

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hmmm. Some interesting responses here but I still think that education comes before holidays.

"

The two aren't mutually exclusive. A lot of good parents understand that trips abroad can encourage curiosity and the will to learn. I don't think it's fair to punish good parenting.

Plus children usually have to catch up independently anyway so the point is moot.

Reply privately

Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

The Lounge is for 'general chat and discussion'. It says so on the forum home page.

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

I chose mine and accepted the problems. Shifts, on calls, limited holiday dates, being called back to work etc etc etc. If they (the staff) can't keep to the rules.....

Perhaps just accept that people will do differently to you. "

No.

Peeps should know the law

Know the rules.

That's all

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

No.

Know the rules.

That's all"

i know the rules and i know how to break and bend them..thats life..

Reply privately

Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

"Well

Here is a slightly different take on things

My daughter can have a school trip to Rome... 3 days for £650

We have just been on a cruise (summer holidays).

Barcelona, Messina, Naples, Florence, Rome, Marseille and Palma Majorca.... Each port visited twice as we cruised back to back.

Cost per child...£350 per cruise so £700 in total.

They have had another tour of palatine hill and the colluseum, Pompeii and Herculaneum, el duomo and David, the uffizi gallery, Medici palace, messinas clock tower, miracle square in Pisa and Notre Dame in Marseille. I don't really begrudge them a beach day in Majorca. Each kept a travel diary and scrapbook. They have eaten real Italian, Spanish and French food, learned some of the Italian language and practiced their French and Spanish.

Would I take them out during term time for such an educational holiday... Hell yes! Am I sending my daughter on the school trip? Nope... She's been there and done that and the price is ridiculous.

Red "

That sounds great, you have to tell me where you booked this

Reply privately

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I realise it's a holiday company price issue but if no one went any more they would soon drop prices.

Having children is a massive cost. If you can't afford it don't do it is my opinion

Reply privately

over a year ago

No.

Know the rules.

That's all"

They know the rules, they choose to bend/break them.

There's nothing you can do or say that will stop it.

That's all

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

No.

Know the rules.

That's alli know the rules and i know how to break and bend them..thats life.. "

And you have how many kids?????

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thoughts???"

Not old fashioned.

Draconian maybe?

Autocratic most certainly.

I think you have a limited knowledge of the law and systems relating to education.

I also think you have a limited knowledge of socio economic factors and impacts, as well as the laws and systems pertaining to these too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

A well balanced approach. Shame that not everyone is like you......"

So your zero tolerance _iew relaxes when the holday isn't Spain or magaluf and meets with your approval

Reply privately

over a year ago

OP....

Aplogies if this has already been asked/answered as I have only skimmed the thread....

Do you currently have children of school attending age??

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

No.

Know the rules.

That's alli know the rules and i know how to break and bend them..thats life..

And you have how many kids?????"

4..two now in their twenties one teen, and one 8 tomorrow..and they all know how life works, as well as being educated the 'traditional' way..i bring them up to be self sufficient and not little empty headed darlings...

Reply privately

over a year ago

and dare I say it, a tad rude.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good lord this thread derailed pretty quickly.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thoughts???"

it pretty much is enforced... you can apply to take your children out during school time but ive been refused every time despite my daughters having amazing grades and attendance.. so simply we haven't been away for 7 years except the odd day trip.

I think that companies should be stopped from making it so much more expensive during school holidays. And certainly do not think it should be enforced more.. it's already overly restricted.

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Thoughts??? it pretty much is enforced... you can apply to take your children out during school time but ive been refused every time despite my daughters having amazing grades and attendance.. so simply we haven't been away for 7 years except the odd day trip.

I think that companies should be stopped from making it so much more expensive during school holidays. And certainly do not think it should be enforced more.. it's already overly restricted. "

Fair comment

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

Thoughts??? it pretty much is enforced... you can apply to take your children out during school time but ive been refused every time despite my daughters having amazing grades and attendance.. so simply we haven't been away for 7 years except the odd day trip.

I think that companies should be stopped from making it so much more expensive during school holidays. And certainly do not think it should be enforced more.. it's already overly restricted. "

use the magic words..no problem...

Reply privately

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

People choose careers long before they have children usually. Many have inflexible working patterns and not everyone that wants school holidays can get them.

Many children now have two sets of parents and therefore two family holidays making it even more difficult for parents to get time off work.

We also have families in the UK who have families abroad they may go and visit for Christmas which isn't always the 25th December. There may be family weddings, etc to attend.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think the most interesting and happy people I have met have been those who have travelled and have a wealth of life experience.

There is more to life than classroom knowledge and qualification certificates.

It's about time more emphasis was put on looking after kids mental health rather than their potential cv's.

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

"I think the most interesting and happy people I have met have been those who have travelled and have a wealth of life experience.

It's about time more emphasis was put on looking after kids mental health rather than their potential cv's."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think the most interesting and happy people I have met have been those who have travelled and have a wealth of life experience.

It's about time more emphasis was put on looking after kids mental health rather than their potential cv's."

Here, here!

Reply privately

over a year ago

What about school trips during school time? Should they also be banned?

What about schools that recognise certain religious holidays, or English school children flying out of Scotland and vice versa...

Also who's expected to pay for these staff to hang around at the airport checking why children are not in school?

I agree that education is important but stating it should be illegal is, in my humble opinion, ridiculous.

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

It's about time more emphasis was put on looking after kids mental health rather than their potential cv's.

Here, here!"

Agreed!!!!

A good opinion!!!

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"What about school trips during school time? Should they also be banned?

What about schools that recognise certain religious holidays, or English school children flying out of Scotland and vice versa...

Also who's expected to pay for these staff to hang around at the airport checking why children are not in school?

I agree that education is important but stating it should be illegal is, in my humble opinion, ridiculous. "

Then why did the government introduce these restrictions????

Reply privately

over a year ago

Actually you've hit the nail on the head there.

The best universities know this, one of my best friend's had his Cambridge inter_iew and despite achieving fantastic grades he wasn't accepted. The admissions office were looking for someone well rounded and traveled with a clear passion for the subject (which, bless him, he really isn't).

These are things you can't teach.

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

completely disagree my parents encouraged my schooling but we also had term time holidays and it didn't hinder my success, in fact I learnt more from travelling than I ever did in a classroom, our regular trips to France meant I was fluent in the language before it was compulsory to take it in secondary school

Reply privately

over a year ago

I agree that education is important but stating it should be illegal is, in my humble opinion, ridiculous.

Then why did the government introduce these restrictions????"

They're numpties

Reply privately

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

My family travelled when I was a child, I lived abroad too, even missed some school but I did fine in the end.

My parents did not however take us on package holidays out of school term just to save money.

There is a difference in my opinion

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

[Removed by poster at 04/09/16 17:18:09]

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

because they have their own heads stuck firmly up their own arses and they like the dark, it makes them feel safe in the world plus berlins theory of positive and negative liberty which they get taught at undergraduate level..read it, you'll never follow the rules blindly again..

Reply privately

over a year ago

To ensure kids stay slaves to the education system for as long as possible.

Making them look good because they stay off the unemployment figures.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The best universities know this, one of my best friend's had his Cambridge inter_iew and despite achieving fantastic grades he wasn't accepted. The admissions office were looking for someone well rounded and traveled with a clear passion for the subject (which, bless him, he really isn't).

These are things you can't teach. "

Reasons why I'm not a Cambridge admission tutor: I'd accept the prospective student who had never been abroad but had worked part time during his A Levels and still gained excellent grades above the "well rounded" one who had been taken on lots of nice holidays by his mummy and daddy. There are ways to become a well rounded and well educated individual which don't involve lots of holidays.

Reply privately

By *entralscotscpl7Couple
over a year ago

Falkirk

It's each individual parents decision.

Just because you think it's a good idea does not mean everyone else should abide by it.

To be honest it's a pretty stupid opinion.

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Then why did the government introduce these restrictions????because they have their own heads stuck firmly up their own arses and they like the dark, it makes them feel safe in the world plus berlins theory of positive and negative liberty which they get taught at undergraduate level..read it, you'll never follow the rules blindly again.."

I've read it zzzzzzzzzzz

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I agree with that, sadly some of the mental health issues a child may have will come from the parents

and someone else is asked to resolve it.

You only have to look on here the amounts of mental health issues, the way people behave to think 'fuck, god help your kids'

And teachers etc are to fix.

Note some, not all

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thoughts???"

You're old fashioned.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"OP....

Aplogies if this has already been asked/answered as I have only skimmed the thread....

Do you currently have children of school attending age??"

Are they only entitled to an opinion if they do?

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

Then why did the government introduce these restrictions????because they have their own heads stuck firmly up their own arses and they like the dark, it makes them feel safe in the world plus berlins theory of positive and negative liberty which they get taught at undergraduate level..read it, you'll never follow the rules blindly again..

I've read it zzzzzzzzzzz"

good for you..isnt that baaaaaaaaaa in your case ?

Reply privately

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

Most likely because they know low income families can afford to holiday during the school holidays, by dis allowing them to holiday during term time they are in this country actively contributing to our economy and helping to pay their wages

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Then why did the government introduce these restrictions????because they have their own heads stuck firmly up their own arses and they like the dark, it makes them feel safe in the world plus berlins theory of positive and negative liberty which they get taught at undergraduate level..read it, you'll never follow the rules blindly again..

I've read it zzzzzzzzzzz good for you..isnt that baaaaaaaaaa in your case ? "

Now is that a considered response or a personal slant? Let's keep to the subject which is gauging opinion on a topic.......

Reply privately

over a year ago

Then why did the government introduce these restrictions????

To ensure kids stay slaves to the education system for as long as possible.

Making them look good because they stay off the unemployment figures."

Ah the government, never make any mistakes our MPs do they!

They (imo) rightly made smoking in cars with children in illegal... Yet since introduced how many people have been prosecuted for this? For at least the first 3 months none due to the fact that the police couldn't enforce it as here were no physical tickets to issue

Reply privately

over a year ago

My family travelled when I was a child, I lived abroad too, even missed some school but I did fine in the end.

My parents did not however take us on package holidays out of school term just to save money.

There is a difference in my opinion "

Fair point but if a cheap package holiday is all the parents can hope to afford, and that in turn leads to a child's passion for travel or languages then those parents have done a pretty damn good job with what they can manage

Reply privately

By *mmmMaybeCouple
over a year ago

West Wales

Thoughts???"

A friend took his two kids on holiday two weeks before the summer hols, so he will be fined £240 & including this the holiday was still £500 cheaper than taking it during the hols.I would take my kids out of primary school if we were going somewhere educational but not for a beach holiday & were in fact saving & planning a trip to China when H found she was pregnant with our littlest one.

S

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thoughts???"

I don't agree with it at all.

Thankfully my children are no longer in the education system but when they were i did take them away during term time.

Despite that, or maybe because of that, they are great, well rounded adults with highly successful lives including their work ... one has their own very successful business and the other is a very successful manager in a highly thought of business. Plus their home life is great too and they are very happy

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Uk education attainments are poor enough, with insufficient commitment to education in general. We're lagging behind other countries and need to improve, to compete with other economies.

Financial investment in education should be respected and kids should always attend school. Everyone is paying for kids to be there and not swanning off.

Foreign holidays are a luxury not a necessity.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've read it zzzzzzzzzzz good for you..isnt that baaaaaaaaaa in your case ?

Now is that a considered response or a personal slant? Let's keep to the subject which is gauging opinion on a topic......."

Wise up. You zzzzzzzzzz'd childishly at her orevious comment, now you want to play victim? Really?

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

Now is that a considered response or a personal slant? Let's keep to the subject which is gauging opinion on a topic......."

i met you at the level of interest you showed me..dont tell me what to do.. you started it..

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is a difference in my opinion "

Agreed.

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"Uk education attainments are poor enough, with insufficient commitment to education in general. We're lagging behind other countries and need to improve, to compete with other economies.

Financial investment in education should be respected and kids should always attend school. Everyone is paying for kids to be there and not swanning off.

Foreign holidays are a luxury not a necessity."

Great post

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Uk education attainments are poor enough, with insufficient commitment to education in general. We're lagging behind other countries and need to improve, to compete with other economies.

Foreign holidays are a luxury not a necessity."

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thoughts???"

Sending your kids to school is the worst education they can get

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Now is that a considered response or a personal slant? Let's keep to the subject which is gauging opinion on a topic.......i met you at the level of interest you showed me..dont tell me what to do.. you started it.."

Not worthy of response.

Peeps, let's keep to the subject.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thoughts???

Sending your kids to school is the worst education they can get"

Bollocks

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Thoughts???

Sending your kids to school is the worst education they can get

Bollocks"

Reply privately

over a year ago

Provided the children have good grades plus good attendance. I don't see the problem with the odd holiday quality family time. Not during exam times obviously x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Now is that a considered response or a personal slant? Let's keep to the subject which is gauging opinion on a topic.......i met you at the level of interest you showed me..dont tell me what to do.. you started it..

Not worthy of response.

"

Ok. Lets keep to the subject.

Why is this concerning you so much?

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Now is that a considered response or a personal slant? Let's keep to the subject which is gauging opinion on a topic.......i met you at the level of interest you showed me..dont tell me what to do.. you started it..

Not worthy of response.

Why is this concerning you so much? "

Just gauging opinions and thoughts, as per original opening statement.

No need to get personal about it. All opinions respected......

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

Not worthy of response.

"

you like the government want people to sit down and shut up..thing is with all your put downs...you are the slave to the system and i am not..and that is hilarious...and my kids will never be like you and i wouldn't want them to be..you be the toe the line worker and ill live my life the way i see fit..and at the end of it..you will have more regrets than me...because who diod you live for..the law the government..someone else..that is slavery..i dance my own tune in this world and dont go zzzzzzzzzzzzzz at me..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not worthy of response.

No need to get personal about it. All opinions respected......"

That's obviously not the case though is it?

You're shouting down everyone else's opinion and basically stating that yours is the only right one.

Hardly respecting opinions.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Reasons why I'm not a Cambridge admission tutor: I'd accept the prospective student who had never been abroad but had worked part time during his A Levels and still gained excellent grades above the "well rounded" one who had been taken on lots of nice holidays by his mummy and daddy. There are ways to become a well rounded and well educated individual which don't involve lots of holidays."

You really weighed that hypothetical student in your arguments favour. It's not an issue of who can go on the most expensive holidays, I'm just stating the value of a holiday with even a little bit of educational content.

It definitely helped me decide what I wanted to do in life. So I guess that does make me a little biased.

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Not worthy of response.

you like the government want people to sit down and shut up..thing is with all your put downs...you are the slave to the system and i am not..and that is hilarious...and my kids will never be like you and i wouldn't want them to be..you be the toe the line worker and ill live my life the way i see fit..and at the end of it..you will have more regrets than me...because who diod you live for..the law the government..someone else..that is slavery..i dance my own tune in this world and dont go zzzzzzzzzzzzzz at me.."

Oh. Thanks for that

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Not worthy of response.

you like the government want people to sit down and shut up..thing is with all your put downs...you are the slave to the system and i am not..and that is hilarious...and my kids will never be like you and i wouldn't want them to be..you be the toe the line worker and ill live my life the way i see fit..and at the end of it..you will have more regrets than me...because who diod you live for..the law the government..someone else..that is slavery..i dance my own tune in this world and dont go zzzzzzzzzzzzzz at me..

Oh. Thanks for that "

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

Not worthy of response.

Oh. Thanks for that "

no need to thank me...you deserve it

Reply privately

By *manda63Woman
over a year ago

Southampton

Thoughts???"

I work for two schools and the schools only approve it if the child has a high attendance at school. My neighbours had their holiday approved and to my knowledge no fine imposed

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Not worthy of response.

Oh. Thanks for that no need to thank me...you deserve it "

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not worthy of response.

No need to get personal about it. All opinions respected......"

I asked your opinion on a forum, which is for conversation. That doesn't constitute "getting personal" you'll not bait me OP. Nice try though. I am asking you as you started the thread. Your opening statement seems to be quite passionate. So i am asking you to enlighten me to the reason for your _iew point. That is perfectly normal.

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Thoughts???

I work for two schools and the schools only approve it if the child has a high attendance at school. My neighbours had their holiday approved and to my knowledge no fine imposed "

Thank you.A reasonable and considered response!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thoughts???"

Don't they get fined anyway? Although I know a few parents who think the fine is a small price to pay as opposed to over inflated holiday prices

Reply privately

over a year ago

Freedom of information request by one of the newspapers [forgot which, and couldn't be bothered looking it up]. Actually showed that the stats on pupil performance, "quoted" by successive governments about holidays bringing results down, were actually made up. There is no such correlation!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thoughts???

Don't they get fined anyway? Although I know a few parents who think the fine is a small price to pay as opposed to over inflated holiday prices "

Yes, they did get fined. But a guy recently challenged it, citing the fact that there is no evidence whatsoever to show any adverse effect on education. He won the case and judge made a ruling against the local authority.

Reply privately

By *manda63Woman
over a year ago

Southampton

Thoughts???

Don't they get fined anyway? Although I know a few parents who think the fine is a small price to pay as opposed to over inflated holiday prices "

They do yes and I think some parents do consider it worth paying the fine considering the cost of holidays now

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Freedom of information request by one of the newspapers [forgot which, and couldn't be bothered looking it up]. Actually showed that the stats on pupil performance, "quoted" by successive governments about holidays bringing results down, were actually made up. There is no such correlation!"

Mp's making up stats. Surely not........

Reply privately

By *manda63Woman
over a year ago

Southampton

Thoughts???

I work for two schools and the schools only approve it if the child has a high attendance at school. My neighbours had their holiday approved and to my knowledge no fine imposed

Thank you.A reasonable and considered response!"

Thank you

Reply privately

By *layfulserfMan
over a year ago

Northolt

My parents couldn't afford a break in the school holidays and would take us out of school for a holiday.

Those family memories are still treasured.

Kids in some countries dont start school until they are 7 and soon overtake us with their learning.

The older generation left school at 14 and can probably shame us all with their maths skills without a calculators.

Education is important, but it is not everything.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I didn't get fined when I took my 6 year old on holiday during term time and I filled in a form requesting the time off for a holiday which was approved. I only went for a week though and was asking for 6 days or 5.5 days cos she went half day the day we flew. Think the fines are if you plan to take them for more than 10 consecutive days.

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

Not worthy of response.

Oh. Thanks for that no need to thank me...you deserve it

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

shows you up for your mentality..ill get my kids to read this later as part of their sheep avoidance training,,,

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"My parents couldn't afford a break in the school holidays and would take us out of school for a holiday.

Those family memories are still treasured.

Kids in some countries dont start school until they are 7 and soon overtake us with their learning.

The older generation left school at 14 and can probably shame us all with their maths skills without a calculators.

Education is important, but it is not everything."

Yes, quite so. Thanks

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

You aren't gauging opinion, you are just restating yours again and again over very reasonable responses.

The fines bought in were a blanket response to parents whose children are absent from school far more than just a week's holiday. Punish everyone rather than spend time and effort dealing with problem parents.

The fact that the savings made by moving your departure just a few days are much greater than the amount of the fines just shows you what a half added attempt it was by the government.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'll be taking my kids out of school for a week, I'm not doing it at crucial times, many kids have time off because of a cold or sickness bug, fortunately my kids never have. The schools here shut early for the football twice this year, so they can try protest but I have no interest in the football and can't see how that is more important than an education.

As long as their attendance doesn't fall below the threshold I don't see the problem and I don't see why anyone else should think they have authority to either.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Ok for the people who are so obviously annoying each other, please avoid each others posts

Reply privately

over a year ago

Reasons why I'm not a Cambridge admission tutor: I'd accept the prospective student who had never been abroad but had worked part time during his A Levels and still gained excellent grades above the "well rounded" one who had been taken on lots of nice holidays by his mummy and daddy. There are ways to become a well rounded and well educated individual which don't involve lots of holidays.

You really weighed that hypothetical student in your arguments favour. It's not an issue of who can go on the most expensive holidays, I'm just stating the value of a holiday with even a little bit of educational content.

It definitely helped me decide what I wanted to do in life. So I guess that does make me a little biased. "

As someone who studied the same as you, without holidays in term time, it was going to school and being taught lessons which gave me a passion for history, not a week in Alcudia.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thoughts???"

How many kids do you have?

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/09/16 18:13:06]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Isn't what people do with their children their own business

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Ok for the people who are so obviously annoying each other, please avoid each others posts"

Moderator on the thread?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Perhaps if you had kids in this generation you would not be so bloody rude .

I haven't taken my kids out , but I'd never say never

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Thoughts???

How many kids do you have? "

As stated earlier. Two kids now grown who financed their own way through uni and now got very good well paid jobs.

We took holidays in school holiday time and gave them as much as we could afford.

Merely guaging opinion and thoughts. No need to get emotional peeps.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It definitely helped me decide what I wanted to do in life. So I guess that does make me a little biased.

As someone who studied the same as you, without holidays in term time, it was going to school and being taught lessons which gave me a passion for history, not a week in Alcudia."

And that's absolutely fine, I wouldn't be still doing it if I didn't have an appreciation for conventional learning. But I've no doubt in my mind that having the opportunity to go to Pompeii, Herculaneum and Knossos didn't factor heavily into my continued love for Ancient History.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's just yet another thing that teaches kids that there's no need to respect authority- it's ok to do whatever they want.

Reply privately

over a year ago

As someone who studied the same as you, without holidays in term time, it was going to school and being taught lessons which gave me a passion for history, not a week in Alcudia.

And that's absolutely fine, I wouldn't be still doing it if I didn't have an appreciation for conventional learning. But I've no doubt in my mind that having the opportunity to go to Pompeii, Herculaneum and Knossos didn't factor heavily into my continued love for Ancient History.

"

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"Perhaps if you had kids in this generation you would not be so bloody rude .

I haven't taken my kids out , but I'd never say never "

Who is being rude?? Look at every one of my answers. Guaging opinion is not being rude.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Fishing i'd say

Reply privately

over a year ago

Who is being rude?? Look at every one of my answers. Guaging opinion is not being rude."

Again, I'll say that your slating of anyone's opinion that doesn't match yours, is rude however.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Funny way of "gauging" opinion OP.

Reply privately

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

What if the parents don't take the kids on hols via an airport, how would you Police it then?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What if the parents don't take the kids on hols via an airport, how would you Police it then? "

Snipers at Dover

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've taken my children out of school twice in term time. Would I do it again? Yes but I'd be responsible. Not in the run up to exams, not at critical times in their education. Would a fine stop me - no. I've taken them to Rome - seem most of that (not in a day tho), been to pompaii, cathage, Barcelona and tbh places I've forgotten, but have probably educated them more about history and culture than a week sat at their desks before they break up for the holidays.

So please don't tar all parents with the same brush. My kids. My choice in how I raised them and extremely proud of the eldest leaving with 10 A*'s and an A.

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

Who is being rude?? Look at every one of my answers. Guaging opinion is not being rude.

Again, I'll say that your slating of anyone's opinion that doesn't match yours, is rude however."

When????

Check your facts

Reply privately

By *atcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"I've taken my children out of school twice in term time. Would I do it again? Yes but I'd be responsible. Not in the run up to exams, not at critical times in their education. Would a fine stop me - no. I've taken them to Rome - seem most of that (not in a day tho), been to pompaii, cathage, Barcelona and tbh places I've forgotten, but have probably educated them more about history and culture than a week sat at their desks before they break up for the holidays.

So please don't tar all parents with the same brush. My kids. My choice in how I raised them and extremely proud of the eldest leaving with 10 A*'s and an A."

OK another reasonable response but no one is tarring all......

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Good for you. Personally my love of history didn't come from (what are now) showy tourist traps and I don't think my experience is that unusual.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Ok for the people who are so obviously annoying each other, please avoid each others posts

Moderator on the thread?"

Yep

Reply privately

By *lowercandyWoman
over a year ago

Lancashire

Thoughts???"

Having read the full thread is like another member am curious as to why you feel so strongly about this.

Your profile indicates you're of an age not to have children in school (and potentially not even grandchildren, considering the lower ages of people giving birth).

I wonder if there is anything else behind your feelings

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Ok for the people who are so obviously annoying each other, please avoid each others posts

Moderator on the thread?

Yep "

Interesting. Didn't think it was warranted, but hey, what would i know? be good peeps. Don't get hooked.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Moderator on the thread?

Yep

Interesting. Didn't think it was warranted, but hey, what would i know? be good peeps. Don't get hooked."

There won't be time to be hooked, it's almost over

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Moderator on the thread?

Yep

Interesting. Didn't think it was warranted, but hey, what would i know? be good peeps. Don't get hooked."

No worries, you obviously don't need to agree

Reply privately

over a year ago

Is it?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ahh some posts have a real snobbery feel to them.

Reply privately