Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

e-book or printed page

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I have enjoyed reading the books thread. Some ideas for future reading, especially in SF, which I am rediscovering. It got me thinking about how we buy books. I have a Kindle reader, and use it quite a lot, but mainly for free classics or trashy stuff (erotica? Heaven forfend!). However, I still buy 'proper books' for my main reading material. I like books as objects, and dislike spending money on downloads. Call me old-fashioned...many do! What about other people?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Can't beat the smell of a proper book - and one kindle doesnt look anywhere near as good on a bookshelf!

over a year ago

Both, I always have books on my phone, but still love having a proper book. The rise of e-books means it's not as difficult to get hold of obscure titles from America than it was previously and I use it mainly for things like that.

However I can't imagine ever having any of my Terry Pratchett books in anything other than paperback or hardback.

By *ENDAROOSCouple
over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

I tried a Kindle but couldn't get on with it. Just didn't feel right!

Books all the way, for me.

I'll rarely buy them new. I either use the library or browse round charity shops / fairs.

over a year ago

I'm a printed page reader. I've downloaded a couple of erotic,short stories from Amazon Kindle and read them,but I much prefer a book in my hand. I like to read in the bath too.

By *i1971Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

I have many, many books and until relatively recently, wouldn't have gone near a kindle or similar. E books just

didn't do it for me.

However, had a kindle bought for me and reluctantly started using it and now use kindle far more than printed versions. Downloaded loads of the free/almost free books (good for finding new authors), as well as authors I'm familiar with. I tend to only read a book once, and on Kindle, easy to put into a "read" file

With instruction manuals etc though, still have to have the printed versions - I just can't get on with viewing them on laptop

By *ancyDrewWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

I had been vehemently against Kindles etc but I appreciate that for commuters it is a God send. Also for out of print books. Linda Grant published a novella on Kindle only, all about getting rid of her book collection in a house move (interesting read btw) so I had to download that Amazon Kindle thing on my laptop to read it. It's the only time I have used it though. (But it's on a laptop not a hand held device so it defeats the purpose really)

over a year ago

Hmm I'm torn... I recently read a book that ended up in about 6 pieces. The glue on the spine was failing and I ended up fishing a bunch of pages from the pool one day!! So an e reader is holding some interest with me at the moment. I do have an app on my phone to read books with but what I'm thinking of right now is something where the book is read to me. I'm not lazy but just want to try that out.

over a year ago

I love both. I read a lot so the kindle is great, and it's so much better for holidays, I used to use half my luggage allowance on paperbacks.

But I also love books and I love living in a house full of books.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 03/09/16 10:37:48]

By *ancyDrewWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Am hopefully getting a new bookcase either today or tomorrow - don't really have room for it but kinda need it. Almost sexually excited by it. I need a wee upcycle challenge.

over a year ago

"I love both. I read a lot so the kindle is great, and it's so much better for holidays, I used to use half my luggage allowance on paperbacks.

But I also love books and I love living in a house full of books. "

We agree with all of this Ruby

You cannot replace real book feel. However the kindle has the versatility to read books, watch debauched fuckery and surf fab

By *eliz NelsonMan
over a year ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

I hope we always have lovely old book shops!

over a year ago

I much prefer books.

over a year ago

So true. I had WiFi on holiday, so no need to preload it either. Got a Lonely Planet guide whilst away plus read Rough Music by Patrick Gale, only £1.49.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Prefer a paper book if reading in bed. Easier on the eyes.

over a year ago

Bought my 82 year old mum a Kindle recently but it was registered to me in error...so all her purchases came off my bank account. Took ages to sort out. Still not sure whether she looked in my cloud library and found my erotica collection! I doubt if she would appreciate my taste...

By *asokittyWoman
over a year ago

Nr Worksop

I hate the smell of books so a kindle has been a good thing for me. And with arthritis when I flare it's a lot easier to manage the kindle than a book.

over a year ago

Kindle all the way, the highlight feature is so useful. The only time I use paper is to avoid reading a long online article, which I'd print.

By *igeiaWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

I love actual books and they occupy every spare corner of my house. I have yet to embrace a Kindle but haven't been on an actual holiday in years. In a travelling instance I can see their usefulness.

over a year ago

"Kindle all the way, the highlight feature is so useful. The only time I use paper is to avoid reading a long online article, which I'd print. "

Highlight...I have seen these on the text, marked in faint, but never been sure what they are for or how to use...

over a year ago

Real books all the time. Most of the books I buy will never be on Kindle. My customers for my asylum books have no interest in e-books at all and prefer the real thing in their hands.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Printed books for me, although I appreciate they're dinosaur technology

over a year ago

Books for me..

Old books, new books, second hand books, picture books, pop up books..

I love the smell of them and the feel..

I love the weight of them and I love turning the pages manually...

I love books

over a year ago

"I hate the smell of books so a kindle has been a good thing for me. And with arthritis when I flare it's a lot easier to manage the kindle than a book. "

Same for my mum. And she can read in the dark whilst Dad snores the house down...!

over a year ago

It's proper books for me, charity shops are where to go for them

over a year ago

I only buy books. I like the feel of a book in my hand, i like turning the pages and i feel that a book has character. I love books

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I have an ebook for the things I can't buy, like spike Milligan war books. Everything else is a proper book.

over a year ago

I'm a big sci fi fan and love reading. Obviously for most of my life they've been paper. However I now only use my kindle. After all, it's what I've been waiting for! I still disappear in a good story exactly the same.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman
Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

I love both.

I have 100s of paper books and thousands of books on my kindle. Amazon frequently sell books for pennies or free, new authors or those which have gotten lost among the masses. I have found some good books and series this way, books I wouldn't have given a chance if not for them being a freebie.

But I still love the whole thing of reading a paper book, but I read more ebooks.

over a year ago

I have a lot of paper books and enjoy the tactile sensation of holding a book, the smell of the paper etc. However, I do also have a Kindle and have discovered authors I really enjoy reading that I wouldn't have done if I'd stuck with paper books. Plus, kindles are so much easier to pack and take on holiday.

over a year ago

I am very heartened by people's responses. It seems the real book will be with us for the foreseeable, and that Kindles have their place but will not entirely replace the printed page.

I admit also to finding e-books hard to navigate...many is the time I have unexpectedly reached the end of a story at 90 percent read, the rest being perhaps a sampler from the next book etc.

over a year ago

Oh I meant to say too, have you tried the Deathstalker series? It's very tongue-in-cheek and harks back to the E E Doc Smith type of sci-fi I think :D.

By *obwithkiltMan
over a year ago

Belton

Books all the Way! !

Many of my Pratchett ones are signed. ..can't really do that with an e-reader

over a year ago

I like owning and sharing books. Difficult to do that when all you've purchased is the licence to download and view an electronic copy.

over a year ago

I wouldn't want to read a book any other way than buying one or receiving one, feeling the book in my hands, actually turning the pages and the smell off them

over a year ago

"I wouldn't want to read a book any other way than buying one or receiving one, feeling the book in my hands, actually turning the pages and the smell off them "

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

i read a lot of non fiction, articles, journals and the like and thats all online, but i really love having a real book, lots of sticky post it notes and a pen, and being able to get free of the technology and read outside etc etc.. i cant make notes on a kindle book, i dont think..if you know an app for this apart from converting it into a pdf or document..please let me know, be mightily useful x fiction, when i read it is a mix of hardback and computer screen..i prefer books in general x

over a year ago

"I like owning and sharing books. Difficult to do that when all you've purchased is the licence to download and view an electronic copy. "

I agree of course, and am glad everyone likes the real book. They take on a life of their own on the shelves all around the house. Lovely to browse and dip into. e- books will never have the soul...

And thank you for the recommendations. Lots of reading for the long winter evenings!

By *rotiquexxxMan
over a year ago

Unquenchable Desires

I've put my graphic novels onto kindle ( Conan. Batman. Lone wolf & cub ) because of moving house it means less stuff for boxes.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 03/09/16 23:35:55]

over a year ago

Love books nothing beats the printed page.

Got an e-reader if anyone fancied swooping e-books

By *ucyfur77Woman
over a year ago

Pleasuretown

Real books everytime

By *andom2chatMan
over a year ago

A Galaxy Far, Far Away & Spain

I do like the feel of reading a good book, but lately I'm finding that lying in the sun with an audio book (especially one read by the author) means I don't have to squint at the printed page & can work on my tan.

Post new Message to Thread