Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Moving house disasters

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Was due to move house tomorrow but the removals van has broken down and is off the road. Now all sorted and rearranged. What your moving house disaster story?

Betty

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

our ex landlady illegally fenced off the side of the house we were renting (she did this years before we moved in, not sure why but i think she wanted to own the road she fenced off).

anyway when i split with my partner i had no trouble moving out, but when my ex tried to get rid of the rubbish left in the house she was a huge problem allowing the van to park.

she was/is a stupid bitch.

also she tried to charge us more rent when my dad (who sold her the house we were renting) had already paid it.

over a year ago

Everyone let us down last min so it ended up just being me and hubby and an uncle moving from a rented flat to a house. We couldnt afford a removal van either. Doesnt sound so bad 3 people moving everything. Except i was 7 months pregnant and the house we brought was so filthy i sat in the kitchen and cried.

over a year ago

"Everyone let us down last min so it ended up just being me and hubby and an uncle moving from a rented flat to a house. We couldnt afford a removal van either. Doesnt sound so bad 3 people moving everything. Except i was 7 months pregnant and the house we brought was so filthy i sat in the kitchen and cried.

"

Oh no! Hope it was worth it in yhe end x

Betty

over a year ago

"Everyone let us down last min so it ended up just being me and hubby and an uncle moving from a rented flat to a house. We couldnt afford a removal van either. Doesnt sound so bad 3 people moving everything. Except i was 7 months pregnant and the house we brought was so filthy i sat in the kitchen and cried.

Betty"

Oh yeh all good now. It was a nightmare at the time i was going to work then going back to the flat as we didnt have to return the keys for 3 days. Giving that a really deep clean ready for handover then going back to our house and deep cleaning that. Couldnt believe anyone could leave a house in that state.

over a year ago

Betty

Oh yeh all good now. It was a nightmare at the time i was going to work then going back to the flat as we didnt have to return the keys for 3 days. Giving that a really deep clean ready for handover then going back to our house and deep cleaning that. Couldnt believe anyone could leave a house in that state."

When I moved my house (the one I was moving too) was disgusting! Like you I left my old house clean for the person moving in.

over a year ago

Betty

Oh yeh all good now. It was a nightmare at the time i was going to work then going back to the flat as we didnt have to return the keys for 3 days. Giving that a really deep clean ready for handover then going back to our house and deep cleaning that. Couldnt believe anyone could leave a house in that state.

When I moved my house (the one I was moving too) was disgusting! Like you I left my old house clean for the person moving in."

I just cant understand why people think its acceptable to leave their property like that!

over a year ago

I remember somebody local who packed a full van ready to leave the next morning. You guessed it, it was stolen. Everything they had, including photo albums etc. So sad.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We moved last October, when the removal van turned up I told them it wasn't big enough, they assured me that with their excellent stacking skills it was...it wasn't, we had to leave things with a neighbour, load both our cars until there was only room in the drivers seat and get our daughter to collect stuff. Got to new house, turned water on, as time progressed noticed the kitchen floor was wet there was a leak in the airing cupboard, turned water off. It was an executors sale and the family of the deceased at least left us a gift...a massive poo on the floor of the loo.

over a year ago

"We moved last October, when the removal van turned up I told them it wasn't big enough, they assured me that with their excellent stacking skills it was...it wasn't, we had to leave things with a neighbour, load both our cars until there was only room in the drivers seat and get our daughter to collect stuff. Got to new house, turned water on, as time progressed noticed the kitchen floor was wet there was a leak in the airing cupboard, turned water off. It was an executors sale and the family of the deceased at least left us a gift...a massive poo on the floor of the loo. "

Yuk!!!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"We moved last October, when the removal van turned up I told them it wasn't big enough, they assured me that with their excellent stacking skills it was...it wasn't, we had to leave things with a neighbour, load both our cars until there was only room in the drivers seat and get our daughter to collect stuff. Got to new house, turned water on, as time progressed noticed the kitchen floor was wet there was a leak in the airing cupboard, turned water off. It was an executors sale and the family of the deceased at least left us a gift...a massive poo on the floor of the loo.

Yuk!!! "

Yep! We suspect that they wanted more for the property than we paid and this along with taking every key except one was their way of expressing their displeasure.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

None.

I'm a pro. We have a party, then I spend a week packing everything in labelled boxes, saying what's inside and which room it's to go to, whilst d*unk on the party left-overs.

Works every time.

over a year ago

"We moved last October, when the removal van turned up I told them it wasn't big enough, they assured me that with their excellent stacking skills it was...it wasn't, we had to leave things with a neighbour, load both our cars until there was only room in the drivers seat and get our daughter to collect stuff. Got to new house, turned water on, as time progressed noticed the kitchen floor was wet there was a leak in the airing cupboard, turned water off. It was an executors sale and the family of the deceased at least left us a gift...a massive poo on the floor of the loo.

Yuk!!!

Yep! We suspect that they wanted more for the property than we paid and this along with taking every key except one was their way of expressing their displeasure."

Sounds like they need to grow up.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Yuk!!!

Yep! We suspect that they wanted more for the property than we paid and this along with taking every key except one was their way of expressing their displeasure.

Sounds like they need to grow up. "

That or improve their aim

over a year ago

Yuk!!!

Sounds like they need to grow up.

That or improve their aim "

By *ootballFlowerCouple
over a year ago

Ollerton

We moved out of the house G owned with her Ex that had been sold. We were moving in to a big 4 bed rented place - two days before we were due to move out the agent told us it had fallen through and he had somewhere else we could go for a few months whilst it was sorted. We looked at the place and it was OK but nothing compared to what we were supposed to be moving in to.

On the day of the move the previous tenant was still moving out as we were supposed to be moving in, his family giving us grief. The place was filthy and stuff didnt work all over the house.

After two months we were visited by the property owner who didnt know we were living there and it turns out the agent had stolen our deposit and first months rent, had no right to rent the property and had lied to the owner. Luckily she allowed us to stay but we moved out again after 8 months. Oh and the property that we had originally opted for was never going to happen as the house was being repo'd by the bank and the agent had bull shitted us for 4 weeks.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

My first house the previous owner had been renting it out, to save a bit of cash (basically there was none left by then anyway) used the works van but could only have it on the Sunday. All moved in two trips and boxes everywhere went to put the kettle on, nothing, found the meter and it was a pre-pay type so thought okay I'll nip down the shop and put a tenner on it. Back at the house put the key in the meter, by the time it took most of it for 'debt' and what was left didn't take the balance out of 'emergency credit' so had just over a quid of leccy (and everything was electric no gas), Monday morning get dressed (in the same sweaty filthy clothes as Sunday) no shower no brew no bloody light to see what you're doing back to the newsagents again. I ended up putting nearly fifty quid on that bloody thing before edf got round to putting a normal bloody meter in.

over a year ago

Once bought a sofa for £2000 which didn't go up the stairs lol

Post new Message to Thread