Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Quoting smoking

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So tomorrow is going to be my first day to hopefully quit smoking has anyone got any suggestions for when you get any cravings or any tip that may work

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

£10 final offer.

By *edRapscallionMan
over a year ago

London

The nicotine addiction is pretty easy to overcome. It's the addiction to the act of smoking that is harder to quash. But you're on the right side. You simply need to find another oral fixation to focus on.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 01/09/16 22:43:03]

over a year ago

No tips,because I'm a non-smoker,but you'll save yourself lots of money and you'll be healthier. That should help motivate you.

over a year ago

Start sucking your thumb.

over a year ago

Stay away from triggers, change your old habits, get rid of any cigarettes.

Have confidence

Good luck

over a year ago

Any time you feel like having a smoke feel free to come give me a quick suck hopefully that way we'll both manage to quit smoking

By *ackDMissMorganCouple
over a year ago

Halifax

Hi op,

Put the money you would normally spend on cigs in a jar every week.Then treat yourself

Good luck

Miss

over a year ago

"So tomorrow is going to be my first day to hopefully quit smoking has anyone got any suggestions for when you get any cravings or any tip that may work "

You will just need to replace your oral fixation

over a year ago

Have some chewing gum?

over a year ago

Do not succumb to any temptations and avoid the triggers and rituals. I stopped 10 years ago, but I still say if I had 1 smoke today I would be back at it again. I am still a hopeless nicotine addict. It is very hard to give up.

Good luck. Patches for first few days helped me and then cold turkey. It's the only way.

over a year ago

If someone offers you a cigarette tell them you don't smoke,not that you're trying to give up.

over a year ago

Every time you fancy a smoke, smack yourself around the back of the head x

By *edRapscallionMan
over a year ago

London

"Every time you fancy a smoke, smack yourself around the back of the head x"

Are such people available for hire?

over a year ago

It's really hard to quit, my day was Monday was doing good until today and

was getting a really stressful day at work today and boom cigarettes. .

But tomorrow is another day and start back to square one

Day off, no stress, and will be more positive. ..

It's easy for anyone who hasn't smoked to say just quit, but it's really hard, I'm trying to break my routine as I have a routine with smoking :-/

over a year ago

"The nicotine addiction is pretty easy to overcome. It's the addiction to the act of smoking that is harder to quash. But you're on the right side. You simply need to find another oral fixation to focus on."

Sort of agree. Nicotine is hard to ditch but it is the habit that catches you out long sfter tge nicotine is forgotten. "I can slwsys have one tomorrow if I am still desperate" was my thinking. But never wanted to the day after the craving. Good luck.

By *edRapscallionMan
over a year ago

London

"It's really hard to quit, my day was Monday was doing good until today and

It's easy for anyone who hasn't smoked to say just quit, but it's really hard, I'm trying to break my routine as I have a routine with smoking :-/"

Routine is the hardest bit to beat. Try replacing the smoking time with another activity, particularly one that is hands-on. Even if it's something like reading a book - it'll distract your mind, and also your hands with holding the book and turning the pages.

over a year ago

Nicotine aids, patches at night and a Nicorette inhaler through the day

Bag of diced carrots also helps with the mental addiction but that calories

I'm a smoker and I really would like to quit.

But tomorrow I could get hit by a bus.

over a year ago

I went to a smoking cessation class and it was a massive help. You get carbon monoxide tested every week so it keeps you on track. I took champix for three weeks and felt so horrendous that I stopped taking it and by then it didn't cross my mind to smoke. Went to classes every other week until my 12 weeks and am glad of it. Almost 6 months now and almost £900 saved.

over a year ago

"So tomorrow is going to be my first day to hopefully quit smoking has anyone got any suggestions for when you get any cravings or any tip that may work "

Remember the first cigarette you ever smoked and how disgusting it was! That's what I did. Been off them for 2 months and will never smoke again. I had no idea just how bad I used to smell!

over a year ago

I quit 8 years ago..

I just stopped but I kept away from eating mints and sweets instead of having a fag..

in my head I told myself 'I'll have one in a bit...'and then when I thought I might want one I just kept saying that to myself and before I knew it I'd gone a day, then a week, then a month and so on...

over a year ago

I cheated and used Champix.

After smoking for 18 years and thinking I'd never be able to give up it was actually pain free.

Would recommend.

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

Go and see a hypnotherapist. Do your research and find a good one. One session and you will never smoke again. You will have no cravings.

over a year ago

"I cheated and used Champix.

After smoking for 18 years and thinking I'd never be able to give up it was actually pain free.

Would recommend."

What's that ?

over a year ago

Vaping, I instantly changed from smoking to vaping and gave up much easier

over a year ago

"I cheated and used Champix.

Would recommend.

What's that ?

"

"Varenicline (trade name Chantix and Champix usually in the form of varenicline tartrate), is a prescription medication used to treat nicotine addiction. Varenicline is a nicotinic receptor partial agonist—it stimulates nicotine receptors more weakly than nicotine itself does."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varenicline

over a year ago

It's easy for anyone who hasn't smoked to say just quit, but it's really hard, I'm trying to break my routine as I have a routine with smoking :-/

I actually think routine is my biggest part of smoking !!

Was good at the routine part until today, I had stopped the getting up in the morning and getting a coffee with a cigarette and I managed and stopped the get a shower then a cigarette and then the getting dressed for work cigarette ....etc

And I felt Ok. .

But come about 12pm Im really struggling :-/

Routine is the hardest bit to beat. Try replacing the smoking time with another activity, particularly one that is hands-on. Even if it's something like reading a book - it'll distract your mind, and also your hands with holding the book and turning the pages."

By *iceguy 1966Man
over a year ago

in pa postcode

Champix go to Boots you will not have a fag after the first week, it is immense

over a year ago

"Champix go to Boots you will not have a fag after the first week, it is immense "

I'm going to Google it !

I tried patches but I found it awful at night time ..

I was twitching and having nightmares so I was getting up in the morning exhausted ...

I go to bed and don't even think of a cigarette during the night

So I can't understand why if I don't get up during the night for one, why I need them in the day...

Most people I know wake from their sleep to go for a cig during the night

I don't !

By *ason_silverMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

I switched to Vaping.

There's good advice on here - but one thing you may notice - It comes from many personal angles.

My nicotine intake is probably the same - as is my "oral fixation" - but it isn't all the same - I still find myself pulling at my trousers ready to put a paper and some tobacco on it ready to roll - its a habit / rhythm.

I miss the taste and feel of the cig.

I'm taking this one step at a time - nicotine concentrations in vape can be lowered over time with you hardly noticing.

The taste can be altered to something you'd recognize more in a soft drink.

Brute force works for some people - but lets be honest - there's an equal number who it fails miserably (the brute force method just makes for a better story)

Do this your way - and trust that your method is the right one for you - that's the only way this kind of thing works (even if it makes for a shit story to brag about)

By *edRapscallionMan
over a year ago

London

I actually think routine is my biggest part of smoking !!

Was good at the routine part until today, I had stopped the getting up in the morning and getting a coffee with a cigarette and I managed and stopped the get a shower then a cigarette and then the getting dressed for work cigarette ....etc

And I felt Ok. .

But come about 12pm Im really struggling :-/

Routine is the hardest bit to beat. Try replacing the smoking time with another activity, particularly one that is hands-on. Even if it's something like reading a book - it'll distract your mind, and also your hands with holding the book and turning the pages."

What is it about 12pm that makes it a time that you want to smoke? You've come that far in the battle against routine. This is just the next hurdle. If there's something in your routine that leads up to smoking around that time, try making some changes to get around it. Distraction and doing something to focus your attention elsewhere is key. Maybe at 12pm you could write in a diary, or clean a room, or play a computer game for a short while. Those are just random ideas. Picking up a new hobby is a good one to occupy yourself with.

By *arky0262Man
over a year ago

bridgnorth

Get some licorice root and chew, keeps your hands and mouth occupied and its pretty much calorie free, but you still have to really want to stop as its your motivation for doing it, thats key, good luck xx

By *edRapscallionMan
over a year ago

London

"I switched to Vaping.

There's good advice on here - but one thing you may notice - It comes from many personal angles.

My nicotine intake is probably the same - as is my "oral fixation" - but it isn't all the same - I still find myself pulling at my trousers ready to put a paper and some tobacco on it ready to roll - its a habit / rhythm.

I'm taking this one step at a time - nicotine concentrations in vape can be lowered over time with you hardly noticing.

Brute force works for some people - but lets be honest - there's an equal number who it fails miserably (the brute force method just makes for a better story)

Do this your way - and trust that your method is the right one for you - that's the only way this kind of thing works (even if it makes for a shit story to brag about)

"

Brute force is one of the least effective ways. Switching to vaping is very good, though. There does seem to be a correlation between the act of smoking and the idea of sating a nicotine addiction. With a vape allowing you to lower the nicotine amount over time, it's quite possible to keep 'smoking' at the same amount, but absorb less nicotine over time, and when you get to 0% nicotine just think... well, why am I doing this? I'm getting no nicotine from it, so it's purely the act of vaping that I keep doing, which is pointless.

over a year ago

I've just Google champix, I'm going make an appointment for doc as it's only prescription prescribed. ..

I bought an e cig today but tbh I only think I'm replacing one habit with another :-/

over a year ago

I used patches before (did well on them but couldn't put up with the itching) - I had 24 hr ones but took them off at night and didn't have a problem. Not needed at a time when you don't smoke anyway

Try cutting up sticks of celery or carrot to hold as you would a cigareete

By *edRapscallionMan
over a year ago

London

"I've just Google champix, I'm going make an appointment for doc as it's only prescription prescribed. ..

I bought an e cig today but tbh I only think I'm replacing one habit with another :-/

"

It is replacing one habit with another. It's an arguably less harmful habit, though, and one that can be reduced in nicotine content until you're at 0% nicotine intake.

By *ason_silverMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

"I switched to Vaping.

Brute force is one of the least effective ways. Switching to vaping is very good, though. There does seem to be a correlation between the act of smoking and the idea of sating a nicotine addiction. With a vape allowing you to lower the nicotine amount over time, it's quite possible to keep 'smoking' at the same amount, but absorb less nicotine over time, and when you get to 0% nicotine just think... well, why am I doing this? I'm getting no nicotine from it, so it's purely the act of vaping that I keep doing, which is pointless."

when you get to 0% nicotine just think... well, why am I doing this?

My thoughts exactly

the best way to solve a problem is by focusing on one variable at a time - and changing that till it meets your requirements - then move on to the next one.

eventually you run out of variables to change - and go figure - the problem is solved.

The movies love to show large explosions - but in reality constant wear is far more destructive.

over a year ago

I use cigarettes as a way of freedom, at work I go outside to get abit of space and quiet time and to see daylight

At home I go outside to get space as well. ..

I'm a single mum and work 40hrs a week, and come home and have my two to feed and sort out and a house to clean in the evening

Cigarettes are my alone time and my little bit of space :-/

over a year ago

What I realised was I only have oh so much will power. Sometimes when busy with other things that take up too much energy and frustrate me I crave a cigarette. At that moment in time I give in and have one. I tried not smoking and keeping at it but I failed and ended up smoking just as much as before.

That's when I found that when things got too much and I really felt the need for it, having one at that point meant I could leave it at the one maybe two and then not have any more until the next time things got so bad.

Means I go weeks without and it is still better than my 20 a day.

Everyone's different but that may be something that might be useful for yourself.

By *edRapscallionMan
over a year ago

London

"I use cigarettes as a way of freedom, at work I go outside to get abit of space and quiet time and to see daylight

I'm a single mum and work 40hrs a week, and come home and have my two to feed and sort out and a house to clean in the evening

"

Going outside doesn't require you to smoke cigarettes, though. At work, why not go for a short walk? At home, why not do some gardening? Both can relaxing activities in themselves

over a year ago

"I use cigarettes as a way of freedom, at work I go outside to get abit of space and quiet time and to see daylight

"

I was similar and not really a social smoker - I used the time to get my head together.

You don't have to give that time up though.

By *ason_silverMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

Going outside doesn't require you to smoke cigarettes, though. At work, why not go for a short walk? At home, why not do some gardening? Both can relaxing activities in themselves"

you could even grow some celery or licorice to gnaw on

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Be sure to only quit when you're ready and committed. My only experience is from helping others to fully stop.

By *uicyJay1Man
over a year ago

Manchester

Wow that's crazy, I'm quiting as of today I already decided last night haha, tip from me would.be chewing gum whenever you smoke just chew! X

over a year ago

When you fancy a fag. Remember, it's bad for your health and could kill you. Hopefully that puts you off.

over a year ago

I used champix

Get them from your gp

Took me 8 days

Never touched one since

Good luck

By *axandbooCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

There are lots of ways to quit but you need to understand your personal attachment to it.

For example when are you likely to really crave? First thing or after meals?

Vaping replaces the nicotine but it doesn't replace the routine. Example - if you enjoy the light up process then vaping probably wont help.

Are you physically addicted or psycologically addicted? Without a cig do you shake, get anxious? Short tempered? These are the physcial symptoms of Detox... Or are you "oh ive not had one for a while"

With the physical addiction medication like champix can work.

Visit a NHS walk in center, they can do a smokers check up and put you on the right course of action for you

Best of luck with it too

over a year ago

Stopped going/doing things that are associate with smoking. In my case that was the pub, didn't go out for six months.

Just tell youself I'm not going to have one when you would like one...it gets easier trust me, good luck, x.

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

Actually nicotine addiction is one of the strongest addictions.

Chemically, it is a stronger addiction than heroin or .

The side effects are just not so violent and obvious.

Nicotine gum, sprays, tablets, patches, are actually self defeating, as they are still giving you the nicotine.

There is only one way; dead stop. Cold turkey.

And of course you have to break the trigger habits too; the physical act if smoking.

One way is to remove the nicotine hsbit immediately, and the physical trigger a bit later.

I switched to electric cigs, but with ZERO nicotine content in the liquid,

That allowed me to kill the nicotine craving, but keep the physical actions going. After a month, the nicotine craving disappeared; it then only took about a week to ditch the electric fag, as it was by then , just pointless and I found I didn't need the physical " having a fag" actions .

I still avoid the triggers where I can; it would only need me to have one fag and I would be back on it ( even now it's 7 years).

Another satisfying side effect is that for every pack of 20 that you don't buy, you are depriving the government of £ 5.50.

(Which is why the government actually don't want to stop smokers; they depend on the £55m a day in tax that smokers provide for them.)

over a year ago

Alan Carrs book, The Easy Way to Stop.

Thoroughly recommended!

over a year ago

"Stay away from triggers, change your old habits, get rid of any cigarettes.

Have confidence

Good luck "

Will depend alot on how much you want to stop too. Best of luck and hope you succeed

over a year ago

"Actually nicotine addiction is one of the strongest addictions.

Chemically, it is a stronger addiction than heroin or .

The side effects are just not so violent and obvious.

Nicotine gum, sprays, tablets, patches, are actually self defeating, as they are still giving you the nicotine.

There is only one way; dead stop. Cold turkey.

And of course you have to break the trigger habits too; the physical act if smoking.

One way is to remove the nicotine hsbit immediately, and the physical trigger a bit later.

I switched to electric cigs, but with ZERO nicotine content in the liquid,

That allowed me to kill the nicotine craving, but keep the physical actions going. After a month, the nicotine craving disappeared; it then only took about a week to ditch the electric fag, as it was by then , just pointless and I found I didn't need the physical " having a fag" actions .

I still avoid the triggers where I can; it would only need me to have one fag and I would be back on it ( even now it's 7 years).

Another satisfying side effect is that for every pack of 20 that you don't buy, you are depriving the government of £ 5.50.

(Which is why the government actually don't want to stop smokers; they depend on the £55m a day in tax that smokers provide for them.)"

Untill the revenue they get from smokers becomes less than its cost to the NHS they will not take it too seriously. The more who stop and the less who start will help towards that.

over a year ago

So I've gone all day with only 2 cravings, brought myself a vape with the lower nicotine in! If I can bloody do this anyone can! Thankyou all xxxx

By *ipsxxCouple
over a year ago

I quit smoking 5 months ago went on a e cigarettes for 3 days and thought what am I doing on these put it down and never pick it up feeling happy and healthy happy days

over a year ago

"So I've gone all day with only 2 cravings, brought myself a vape with the lower nicotine in! If I can bloody do this anyone can! Thankyou all xxxx"

Good luck Flash! Glad to hear you're doing well!

By *100Man
over a year ago

Essex

After 20 years I just refused to buy anymore fags and would think of better things to buy with all the lovely money I was saving and I stopped and have not smoked for 6 years.

Be strong and if you can give up fags for vape is it, then give up vape too and treat yourself with all the money you save.

Good luck.

over a year ago

"So I've gone all day with only 2 cravings, brought myself a vape with the lower nicotine in! If I can bloody do this anyone can! Thankyou all xxxx"

Well done :0) I've swap to a Vap two weeks ago & all is well. Good luck xxx

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

Only 2 cravings is good;

But be strong; 2nd and 3rd day is worst.

Grit your teeth; get through them, then it will get easy.

Stay with it!

over a year ago

How you doing? Hope its all goong well

over a year ago

Well I have gone a week and weirdly a lot happier and it's easier then I imagined! xxx

over a year ago

well done

Post new Message to Thread