Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sciatica stops play :-(

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Due to worsening sciatica, I'm hiding my profile for a while and not meeting.

Sciatica is bloody painful and restricting movement (as I suspect many others on here know) especially lower back and one leg.

As it lower back and one leg where the pain is worse, it means I can't always indulge in the pleasures of sex and being on top or doing doggie Mind you it makes a change to lay on my back and let the lady ride!!

Paracetamol/Ibuprofen work for a while and subdue the pain but it always returns. My GP suggested a course of physiotherapy but I have my doubts about that. Does anyone here have experience of sciatica, or know someone who does, and can vouch about physio? It could be either a benefit or a waste of money.

Fellow fabsters views would be appreciated.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Physio got rid of mine. My seating position at work caused it, so I changed that. I asleep have regular Chiro and massage.

All sorted now.

Ben

over a year ago

Sports physio at the gym sorted me out, sciatica always comes back though.

over a year ago

Definitely try physio and use ice packs on your back to reduce any inflamation and relieve pressure on the nerve...i left mine too long & ended up having to have microdiscectomy to relieve the pain...which wasnt much fun!

Hope pain eases soon for you

over a year ago

I had it and resorted to pills but be very careful on NSAIDs type painkillers. Ended up vomiting blood due to my stomach being so raw. Best thing to do is book in if you can afford it go private to skip the NHS waiting list ( can take months) or go to a chiropractor. Whatever you do keep moving because laying around only makes a back problem worse but I find light walking helps

over a year ago

I have had it in my lower back and also in my shoulder... Physio sorted both, and strong painkillers

over a year ago

I have had sciatica for 15 years now following a back problem but Physio definitely, they can also give you exercises to do at home which will help if it plays up. Also swimming can help because the water helps the freedom of movement, i had hydrotherapy at my local hospital as well.

I only get it occasionally now thankfully.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"Sports physio at the gym sorted me out, sciatica always comes back though. "

Not necessarily - I had it once about 15 years ago. I have a compression of the lumbar vertebrae and whilst chiros and osteos sorted me for years it got to the point when only traction at the hospital physio dept got me out of pain (focal).

I eventually got an inversion table at their suggestion - and that is the only treatment I need occasionally now, I basically just hang myself upsidown in the back bedroom a few times!

When I swim a lot that particularly helps keep everything strong and loose, but if I sit in the 'wrong' kind of chair for long periods that will cause real trouble, sitting around is the worst thing for it.

By *i1971Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

Yep, Physio works a treat for me. I was very doubtful at first, but the benefits soon put my mind at rest. Give it a go OP

By *iss.HoneyWoman
over a year ago

Oh it's a bloody nightmare, I was doing my finest Quasimodo walk last week!

Usually a deep massage sorts me out for a while but it keeps coming back.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Oh and a memory foam mattress, that worked wonders

over a year ago

I knew that there would be folks out there that could be very helpful.

I've read all input so far and find it very helpful and interesting. Thank you all.

So to sum up so far, go see a physio to get lessons in how to self inflict pain plus have them inflict their own version of getting better, then go see a chiro to get everything pulled and stretched and clicked, then strategically place ice packs to ease the results of the physio and chiro, go for a swim to relax, then strap upside down onto a table and make like a bat. Oh yes, and keep changing position. Hmmmm. Well, it's a start at least

Please don't be offended all you good folks, just my daft way of saying things to try make light of a painful situation. I do seriously thank you all for your great input so far.

over a year ago

I literally feel your pain, a good physio should be able to get you sorted, also learning some stretches you can do in your own time, correction of posture sorted mine right out , and after years of keeping my wallet in my back pocket moving it to a front pocket was probably the best advice as it was putting pressure exactly where the nerve runs through the bum cheek. Such a simple thing made a huge difference. Hope you get fixed soon..

over a year ago

Have you had any X-rays done to rule out any other problems (like slipped disc or herminated disc, not sure how you spell it)

A friend was treated for sciatica and caused her more problems that ended in surgery on her spine.

I suffer with sciatic pain sometimes but would never let a chiropractor touch me but that's due to having degenerative disc from an old fracture.

Massage helps me a lot but find the right person

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

"Due to worsening sciatica, I'm hiding my profile for a while and not meeting.

Sciatica is bloody painful and restricting movement (as I suspect many others on here know) especially lower back and one leg.

As it lower back and one leg where the pain is worse, it means I can't always indulge in the pleasures of sex and being on top or doing doggie Mind you it makes a change to lay on my back and let the lady ride!!

Paracetamol/Ibuprofen work for a while and subdue the pain but it always returns. My GP suggested a course of physiotherapy but I have my doubts about that. Does anyone here have experience of sciatica, or know someone who does, and can vouch about physio? It could be either a benefit or a waste of money.

Fellow fabsters views would be appreciated. "

painful condition, usually caused by the moving of muscles out of alignment at the hips, placing pressure on the sciatic nerve and lumbar region.(unless your trapped the nerve.

treated lots of people and suffered this myself..so spinal alignment technique (dorn therapy and breuss spinal massage is how i used to treat it with my clients..i dont know how many qualified therapists are in the UK. i learnt abroad...my own treatment for myself is to bring knees up to chest one by one and try to take them to the opposite armpit in direction..this helps stretch out thew hip muscles and gives the nerve some relief. however if you are out of alignment and your muscles are twisted this needs to be repeated often with foot circling exercises, not crossing your legs when sitting and other things..

you can get a couple of pairs of rolled up socks and place them under your coccyx allowing you knees to flop out ( like a frog) this also gives some people relief..however if your doc is recommending physio..then go for it, it will help you get into alignment again..you can tell if you are out by looking at whether your shoulders are level, hip bone at the waist is level and whether your buttocks are level..also, checking whether you need a heel raise in one shoe or the other..good luck, wish i was nearer xx

over a year ago

Fellow fabsters views would be appreciated. painful condition, usually caused by the moving of muscles out of alignment at the hips, placing pressure on the sciatic nerve and lumbar region.(unless your trapped the nerve.

treated lots of people and suffered this myself..so spinal alignment technique (dorn therapy and breuss spinal massage is how i used to treat it with my clients..i dont know how many qualified therapists are in the UK. i learnt abroad...my own treatment for myself is to bring knees up to chest one by one and try to take them to the opposite armpit in direction..this helps stretch out thew hip muscles and gives the nerve some relief. however if you are out of alignment and your muscles are twisted this needs to be repeated often with foot circling exercises, not crossing your legs when sitting and other things..

you can get a couple of pairs of rolled up socks and place them under your coccyx allowing you knees to flop out ( like a frog) this also gives some people relief..however if your doc is recommending physio..then go for it, it will help you get into alignment again..you can tell if you are out by looking at whether your shoulders are level, hip bone at the waist is level and whether your buttocks are level..also, checking whether you need a heel raise in one shoe or the other..good luck, wish i was nearer xx"

I will definitely give this a go Suzy, thank you so much.

'Have you had any X-rays done to rule out any other problems (like slipped disc or herminated disc, not sure how you spell it)

A friend was treated for sciatica and caused her more problems that ended in surgery on her spine.

I suffer with sciatic pain sometimes but would never let a chiropractor touch me but that's due to having degenerative disc from an old fracture.

Massage helps me a lot but find the right person'

Thanks Kularli.

I'm going to ask my GP for referral for either scan or x-ray'.

'I literally feel your pain, a good physio should be able to get you sorted, also learning some stretches you can do in your own time, correction of posture sorted mine right out , and after years of keeping my wallet in my back pocket moving it to a front pocket was probably the best advice as it was putting pressure exactly where the nerve runs through the bum cheek. Such a simple thing made a huge difference. Hope you get fixed soon..'

thanks Mulliver - I have my wallet in my front pocket most of the time anyway after having my trousers back pocket 'dipped' by pickpocket in London many years ago. There you go folks - crime prevention advice as well now. Isn't this a great place eh!!

Well, with all this great and sound hints, tips and advice hopefully I'll be back in full swing (corny... I know)sooner rather than later. Once again, thank you all.

Appreciated.

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

Fellow fabsters views would be appreciated. painful condition, usually caused by the moving of muscles out of alignment at the hips, placing pressure on the sciatic nerve and lumbar region.(unless your trapped the nerve.

you can get a couple of pairs of rolled up socks and place them under your coccyx allowing you knees to flop out ( like a frog) this also gives some people relief..however if your doc is recommending physio..then go for it, it will help you get into alignment again..you can tell if you are out by looking at whether your shoulders are level, hip bone at the waist is level and whether your buttocks are level..also, checking whether you need a heel raise in one shoe or the other..good luck, wish i was nearer xx

I will definitely give this a go Suzy, thank you so much.

'Have you had any X-rays done to rule out any other problems (like slipped disc or herminated disc, not sure how you spell it)

Massage helps me a lot but find the right person'

Thanks Kularli.

I'm going to ask my GP for referral for either scan or x-ray'.

'I literally feel your pain, a good physio should be able to get you sorted, also learning some stretches you can do in your own time, correction of posture sorted mine right out , and after years of keeping my wallet in my back pocket moving it to a front pocket was probably the best advice as it was putting pressure exactly where the nerve runs through the bum cheek. Such a simple thing made a huge difference. Hope you get fixed soon..'

thanks Mulliver - I have my wallet in my front pocket most of the time anyway after having my trousers back pocket 'dipped' by pickpocket in London many years ago. There you go folks - crime prevention advice as well now. Isn't this a great place eh!!

Well, with all this great and sound hints, tips and advice hopefully I'll be back in full swing (corny... I know)sooner rather than later. Once again, thank you all.

Appreciated."

you are welcome. get sorted soon xx

over a year ago

I find an osteopath the only one who helps me with it.

over a year ago

If your taking anti inflamatories on a regular basis you really should tell your doctor after my heart attack i was on a plethora of medication for a long while one of which was a tablet designed to protect the stomach from prolonged nsaid usage they can cause some major problems in themselves

over a year ago

Physio is great and they give you advice about lifestyle changes plus exercises to do at home. Painkillers are helpful too as they help reduce the pain and keep you moving.

I saw an NHS physio within 10 days of being refferred.

over a year ago

"If your taking anti inflamatories on a regular basis you really should tell your doctor after my heart attack i was on a plethora of medication for a long while one of which was a tablet designed to protect the stomach from prolonged nsaid usage they can cause some major problems in themselves "

This is excellent advice and something doctors frequently overlook when prescribing NSAID's and other meds. I always ask for a prescription of Lansoprazole or similar if I'm being prescribed pain meds long term.

MrWho.

over a year ago

I did say to the GP what I was taking and he said be careful and take as a maximum twice a day, preferably once a day.

He also said in some rare cases regularly loose motions can be a result of taking too many of these tablets, due to causing inflammation over a period of time.

Hopefully I won't need the tablets for much longer after I start taking some of the brilliant advice offered here by fellow fabsters.

over a year ago

"I did say to the GP what I was taking and he said be careful and take as a maximum twice a day, preferably once a day.

He also said in some rare cases regularly loose motions can be a result of taking too many of these tablets, due to causing inflammation over a period of time.

Hopefully I won't need the tablets for much longer after I start taking some of the brilliant advice offered here by fellow fabsters. "

Loose motions are the least of your worries. Anti-inflamatories can cause gastritis and ulcers with long term use.

over a year ago

"I find an osteopath the only one who helps me with it."

Lovely,another route to consider, thank you.

over a year ago

"I did say to the GP what I was taking and he said be careful and take as a maximum twice a day, preferably once a day.

Hopefully I won't need the tablets for much longer after I start taking some of the brilliant advice offered here by fellow fabsters.

Loose motions are the least of your worries. Anti-inflamatories can cause gastritis and ulcers with long term use."

Another reason to get sorted out a.s.a.p.

This getting older lark ain't much fun is it. Mind you, looking at folks here age is no barrier to anything in health. I reckon there should be another forums category - CROCKS

By *orkie321bWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

I've had lower back pain and sciatica for 20 years. The only thing that's really helped me long term is exercise, specifically walking. I also found out through trying to relieve the pain that laying flat on my back and bringing my knee tight to my chest then stretching it out hurts like hell when i do it but eases the pain for a few hours.

I don't take painkillers unless i have tried everything else first. My tens machine is my lifesaver

over a year ago

"I find an osteopath the only one who helps me with it.

Lovely,another route to consider, thank you. "

I had severe sciatica a few years ago. I couldn't even walk 100 metres without stopping. An osteopath who was also a qualified physiotherapist sorted me put although it took multiple sessions. Now I run marathons and have just the occasional twinge.

It can be fixed if you get the right treatment

By *egin48Man
over a year ago

Ayrshire

Know how you feel , burst 2 spinal discs last year , pressed up against the main nerves. Drugs , physio and time sorted me out. But its a waiting game , no consolation for the pain there is.

over a year ago

I spent ten years having steroid injections, chiros and endless hospital visits. Went to a sports massage guy on a last-ditch recommendation and he took one look, pooh-poohed all the previous medical opinions and massaged out all of the built up internal scar tissue in my arse cheek.

Problem solved after a few treatments. Absolute godsend.

over a year ago

Also before you consider a chiropractor google Simon Singh and the dropped libe case against him when he exposed them as the charlatans that they arguably are

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

There isn't one cause of the symptoms you're experiencing and therefore what works for one won't work for another. Be guided by the medical profession but do insist on seeing a musculoskeletal specialist. If you go down the route of trying suggestions from people who have similar symptoms but varying causes you will waste time and possibly end up with permanent damage to your nerves.

over a year ago

I had it a few years ago as damaged my sciatic nerve by doing a Tae Bo exercise DVD at home, still suffer off and on with it now if not careful.

Chiropractor helped but I was going every week which can get pricey, but I was on a medical Bupa scheme in work back then and they paid for the Bupa Consultant's initial assessment and the subsequent Chiropractor treatments.

It is worth having if you can afford. My GP wasn't much help, just signed me off work and gave me strong painkillers which made me feel sick.

Try and keep moving where possible and support back with cushions if sat down.

over a year ago

"There isn't one cause of the symptoms you're experiencing and therefore what works for one won't work for another. Be guided by the medical profession but do insist on seeing a musculoskeletal specialist. If you go down the route of trying suggestions from people who have similar symptoms but varying causes you will waste time and possibly end up with permanent damage to your nerves."

Next time at my GP I'll ask for this. Last thing I want is permanent damage. Everything that has been offered/suggested here will be carefully considered and professional guidance sought from my GP - who is a wonderful man with 40 years experience. To get to see him you have to book 3 weeks in advance, he's that good and popular.

By *anky_PankyWoman
over a year ago

Filthy Fuckeryville

I had it some time ago and when it got to the point I went to the local walk in centre. A fabulous nurse there said straightening the nerve helps and showed me how to do it - well I'd been in pain for weeks and within 3/4 days it was gone. I've had bursts since but this always sorts it for me......

Lay flat on your back. Get someone to take hold of your foot and carry the weight of your leg too. They then need to slowly lift it in the air as high as you can bear whilst keeping it straight. When at highest point, bounce it very gently before letting them lowercase slowly. Then repeat.

Do it 2/3 times a day.

Hope it helps at least one other person!

over a year ago

"I had it a few years ago as damaged my sciatic nerve by doing a Tae Bo exercise DVD at home, still suffer off and on with it now if not careful.

Chiropractor helped but I was going every week which can get pricey, but I was on a medical Bupa scheme in work back then and they paid for the Bupa Consultant's initial assessment and the subsequent Chiropractor treatments.

It is worth having if you can afford. My GP wasn't much help, just signed me off work and gave me strong painkillers which made me feel sick.

Try and keep moving where possible and support back with cushions if sat down.

"

i've been advised to keep moving when possible and do move around as much as my job will allow. That's easy enough as work in an office and can get up and move around at will.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"There isn't one cause of the symptoms you're experiencing and therefore what works for one won't work for another. Be guided by the medical profession but do insist on seeing a musculoskeletal specialist. If you go down the route of trying suggestions from people who have similar symptoms but varying causes you will waste time and possibly end up with permanent damage to your nerves.

Next time at my GP I'll ask for this. Last thing I want is permanent damage. Everything that has been offered/suggested here will be carefully considered and professional guidance sought from my GP - who is a wonderful man with 40 years experience. To get to see him you have to book 3 weeks in advance, he's that good and popular. "

that's good to hear. It took me several years before a GP took me seriously by the time I was referred for surgery I had permanent nerve damage and numbness in my right leg and foot.

By *anky_PankyWoman
over a year ago

Filthy Fuckeryville

"I had it some time ago and when it got to the point I went to the local walk in centre. A fabulous nurse there said straightening the nerve helps and showed me how to do it - well I'd been in pain for weeks and within 3/4 days it was gone. I've had bursts since but this always sorts it for me......

Lay flat on your back. Get someone to take hold of your foot and carry the weight of your leg too. They then need to slowly lift it in the air as high as you can bear whilst keeping it straight. When at highest point, bounce it very gently before letting them lowercase slowly. Then repeat.

Do it 2/3 times a day.

Hope it helps at least one other person! "

Oops having read more of the thread I see it digressed - this was just about sciatica

over a year ago

If you work in London (guess you might as you live in Essex) it is well worth going to the London School of Osteopathy for treatment as it is much much cheaper

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"If you work in London (guess you might as you live in Essex) it is well worth going to the London School of Osteopathy for treatment as it is much much cheaper"

Although it can take a while to get an appointment.

I need to go, when I have some time, as my sciatica is playing up due to the chair at work.

over a year ago

"I had it some time ago and when it got to the point I went to the local walk in centre. A fabulous nurse there said straightening the nerve helps and showed me how to do it - well I'd been in pain for weeks and within 3/4 days it was gone. I've had bursts since but this always sorts it for me......

Do it 2/3 times a day.

Hope it helps at least one other person! "

Another thing to try. Yes, I definitely will - just have to find someone to hold me legs tho! (Doubt if my estranged wife will do it hahaha!) Mind you what's lowercase? lol don't worry, I know -it's just a typo.

Thank you x

over a year ago

"If you work in London (guess you might as you live in Essex) it is well worth going to the London School of Osteopathy for treatment as it is much much cheaper"

Good guess, work in London. I'll Google them and take from there. Thank you.

By *anky_PankyWoman
over a year ago

Filthy Fuckeryville

Do it 2/3 times a day.

Hope it helps at least one other person!

Another thing to try. Yes, I definitely will - just have to find someone to hold me legs tho! (Doubt if my estranged wife will do it hahaha!) Mind you what's lowercase? lol don't worry, I know -it's just a typo.

Thank you x"

Oh bugger. Bloody autocarrot! Lower them....

over a year ago

I have suffered for 19yrs I took it when I was pregnant with my first child and never got rid of it...

Painkillers don't work for me, but anti inflammatories from the doc do...

But the best relief is exercise, it doesn't have to be vigorous exercise I find any thing that has lots of stretching and floor exercises really helps

I know how painful sciatica can be ...

Honestly try exercise

over a year ago

Gosh I do feel for you !! I had this at the beginning of the year and couldn't move for nearly 2 wks. So bloody painful. Hope you get it sorted soon OP

over a year ago

Osteopath is the only remedy that works for me. Bloody painful condition, big hugs to you OP x

over a year ago

Keep moving and get hold of tje back pain sufferers bible by sarah keyes

By *my-blackTV/TS
over a year ago

Poole

One thing that can simulate the exact symptons is the piriformis muscle in spasm. it surrounds the nerve sheath and gives the lower back pain right down to the ankle.

You can determine this with a sports massage pressing into the right place in your buttock. the moment they do you will know it has hit the spot, pressure and massage of this point (difficult to get to as its buried deep) can help if it is the piriformis muscle.

One reason the muscle can go into spasm is dehydration.

I used to suffer this a couple of times every year. The massage helped to release the muscle, but now I spot the signs early, drink plenty of fluids, havent suffered in about 10 years.

sometimes the solution can be an easy one. maybe yours will be. heres hoping.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Seeing a Physio puts you under no obligation to do anything or follow their advice. It seems silly not to visit and become more informed - I think this is your plan NM ow though.

Hope things improve soon!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I literally feel your pain, a good physio should be able to get you sorted, also learning some stretches you can do in your own time, correction of posture sorted mine right out , and after years of keeping my wallet in my back pocket moving it to a front pocket was probably the best advice as it was putting pressure exactly where the nerve runs through the bum cheek. Such a simple thing made a huge difference. Hope you get fixed soon.. "

Made your arse slimmer and your cock bigger too .....

over a year ago

Cheers for noticing the difference

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I've been given Valium in the past for this and it did help.

I've got a different problem now, that crushes my nerves, and it does make meets more tricky. I'm waiting for an op on my spine and that will fix me.

OP keep in touch with your GP so they monitor it. My ex had it but in the end it turned out to be far worse. Have you had any scans?

Post new Message to Thread