Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

shocking!

Jump to newest

By *ummy mummy OP   Woman
over a year ago

southampton-ish

stopped in a coffee shop for breakfast before work today and heard the following conversation between a customer and a young girl working behind the counter..

customer:David Cameron is coming to town today

girl:who's that? He someone famous?

customer:umm..he is the Prime Minister...

girl:what's one of those?

customer:he runs the country

girl:isn't that what the Queen does?

just shocking....

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"stopped in a coffee shop for breakfast before work today and heard the following conversation between a customer and a young girl working behind the counter..

just shocking.... "

Was it a script meeting for The Only Way Is Essex? According to one girl on that show Ireland is a completely different country to England.....

If displays of thickness were ever capitalised on its on Essex its the funniest reality docusoap I have ever seen in my life.

over a year ago

goes to show the dumbing down of society is working well

over a year ago

southampton-ish

"stopped in a coffee shop for breakfast before work today and heard the following conversation between a customer and a young girl working behind the counter..

just shocking....

Was it a script meeting for The Only Way Is Essex? According to one girl on that show Ireland is a completely different country to England.....

If displays of thickness were ever capitalised on its on Essex its the funniest reality docusoap I have ever seen in my life."

lol...no, and I agree that show is hilarious with it's stupidity...this happened much further south...

over a year ago

"According to one girl on that show Ireland is a completely different country to England.....

"

Err, it is...

Probably best to get your facts right before laughing at other peoples stupidity

over a year ago

just shocking.... "

Who this queen person then?? xx

over a year ago

"According to one girl on that show Ireland is a completely different country to England.....

Err, it is...

Probably best to get your facts right before laughing at other peoples stupidity "

Wow thats a little aggressive for a light hearted comment...

I know it is but the conversation went like this.

Did you know that Ireland is a completely different country to England. Reply. No it isn' its in scotland isnt it? Yeah and Kent is not actually in London though is it.

Yer it is.

Hope that clarifies why some of us find it rather amusing. And I am not the one capitalising on others thickness just enjoying the entertainment.

over a year ago

southampton-ish

just shocking....

Who this queen person then?? xx "

wasn't that the name of a band?

By *uckoldandWifeCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

This is a funny thread, just be grateful the girl is only serving coffee and not working in air traffic control or your bank, haha. To be honest we wish the nation had no clue who Cameron was

over a year ago

I don't find it funny actually, but rather sad a young person has gone through the education system, live in a country and be so clueless.

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

i saw in a magazine at work

T.O.W.I.E

Towie - like its the new way to be

Fuckin scary if you ask me!!!

By *adchickCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

just shocking....

Who this queen person then?? xx "

You called?

over a year ago

"I don't find it funny actually, but rather sad a young person has gone through the education system, live in a country and be so clueless.

"

I know plenty of adults lacking in education too. Its a fact some people thrive on knowledge and others like their nails done or spend time polishing their cars or sitting on x boxes all day. Then there are the inbetweenies.

It isn't a generation thing its a self-limitation thing in many many cases. Some people just don't want to be educated or taker an intellectual route through life and still lead fullfilling lives doing stuff that interests them.

Ok we have a laugh at their expense because innocent lack of knowledge can come over as funny. Look at all of the Englishman Scotishmen Irishmen jokes. but the intellectually challenged have some pretty colourful disdain towards those they see as geeks and eggheads because of their education and knowledge or those leading a life that is alien to them, so its all pretty balanced on the scathing rights.

At the other end of the Scale from The Only Way is Essex could be QI for example. I like the information that you glean from the anecdotes, but I think half of them on that show are a bunch of pretentious arseholes.

I like both programmes it just makes me diverse - or perverse!!! what entertains is different to what brings the bacon home or what sort of pewople you surround yourself by. Even her Maj watches Corrie and nobody is going to call her self limiting are they?

By *athnBobCouple
over a year ago

sandwell

Talking to a teenager a few months ago and I mentioned the houses of parliament.

"Is that where the president lives?"

Overheard conversation in a furniture store (woman in her late 20s poking at a rather nice wooden table)

" I ay buying that ... it aint real plastic"

over a year ago

ireland is not a country

its an island

divided into two countries

just thought i would throw my two pennies worth into the pot

By *eaboMan
over a year ago

marden

i have four children with universty degrees. Academicaly clever but no common sense whatsoever. I think it is a case of lack of knowledge and awareness rather than stupidity. We are older, more worldly wise and are interested in the world and our surroundings. Whereas the 'youngsters' have no interest in what happens beyond their own nose. Wisdom comes with age as they say.

over a year ago

"i have four children with universty degrees. Academicaly clever but no common sense whatsoever. I think it is a case of lack of knowledge and awareness rather than stupidity. We are older, more worldly wise and are interested in the world and our surroundings. Whereas the 'youngsters' have no interest in what happens beyond their own nose. Wisdom comes with age as they say."
I find that rather a sweeping statement, I have a university degree in a highly academic subject and I feel I'm "academically clever" as you put it. But I also have a lot of common sense and take a great interest in the world around me. Be it ethically, polititically, culturally, geographically or otherwise. I have met many people of an older generation who have no clue about the political structure of this country let alone any other, along with little to no knowledge about how the world works beyond what they feel is important for their own lives. I feel wisdom comes with personal experience and who you are individually as a person. It has nothing to do with age.

By *adchickCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

" We are older, more worldly wise and are interested in the world and our surroundings. Whereas the 'youngsters' have no interest in what happens beyond their own nose. Wisdom comes with age as they say."

Ha ha ha ha.... don't you believe it.

As the regular forumites will tell you, I have a 2 degrees (one in politics) and a Masters, an IQ in the genius level and I can barely remember what day it is, can't work a mobile phone, have trouble working the WII and have a shoe fetish that should realistically belong to an airhead.

Wisdom doesn't always come with age.... I think we are more interested because we had to actually learn (via those book things and by listening to teachers)...... not just by turning on the telly or the computer and it was all there, in our faces.

over a year ago

Was the Coffee okay

over a year ago

How old was this young girl? was she old enough to vote?

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"i have four children with universty degrees. Academicaly clever but no common sense whatsoever. I think it is a case of lack of knowledge and awareness rather than stupidity. We are older, more worldly wise and are interested in the world and our surroundings. Whereas the 'youngsters' have no interest in what happens beyond their own nose. Wisdom comes with age as they say."

Good point - intelligence is not just one thing like a skill set in the traditional subjects such as Maths and English. There are so many parts that contribute to intelligence and common sense is one of them and it is that that helps us survive on a daily basis.Emotional intelligence is what helps us n forming and maintaining relationships for example, musical intelligence shown by the gifted few is yeat another facet. The ability to remember facts.. again just one tiny part... and hey... jokes are made at everybody's expense at some point- as long as they are not designed to belittle or bully they provide entertainment. I think?

over a year ago

"i have four children with universty degrees. Academicaly clever but no common sense whatsoever. I think it is a case of lack of knowledge and awareness rather than stupidity. We are older, more worldly wise and are interested in the world and our surroundings. Whereas the 'youngsters' have no interest in what happens beyond their own nose. Wisdom comes with age as they say.

Good point - intelligence is not just one thing like a skill set in the traditional subjects such as Maths and English. There are so many parts that contribute to intelligence and common sense is one of them and it is that that helps us survive on a daily basis.Emotional intelligence is what helps us n forming and maintaining relationships for example, musical intelligence shown by the gifted few is yeat another facet. The ability to remember facts.. again just one tiny part... and hey... jokes are made at everybody's expense at some point- as long as they are not designed to belittle or bully they provide entertainment. I think?"

ugh

over a year ago

" ......... Even her Maj watches Corrie and nobody is going to call her self limiting are they?

"

I dunno about that. There's a lot of inbreeding in the Windsor line.

over a year ago

" ......... Even her Maj watches Corrie and nobody is going to call her self limiting are they?

I dunno about that. There's a lot of inbreeding in the Windsor line."

She'd knock you into a cocked hat intellectually though.

over a year ago

" I feel wisdom comes with personal experience and who you are individually as a person. It has nothing to do with age. "

basically, don't underestimate individuality!!! no being is the same academically, socially or emotionally

over a year ago

Sounds like my kinda girl

over a year ago

She'd knock you into a cocked hat intellectually though."

She's well read, well travelled and well briefed*. Beyond that?

*not a reference to Rigby and Peller.

over a year ago

"

Your reference to dismissing her intelligence with trivia ie. her foundation garment manufacturers is rather puzzling.

She is an acclaimed intellect amongst her peers with a world wide gained knowledge that is second to none.

You do her a great dis-service and should perhaps go beyond looking at the pages of the Rigby and Peller Catalogue to find out about the queen if I were you. There are hundreds of thousands of books and references made about her and you will go a long way to find anyone who does not marvel at her intellectual capabilities.

over a year ago

Your reference to dismissing her intelligence with trivia ie. her foundation garment manufacturers is rather puzzling.

She is an acclaimed intellect amongst her peers with a world wide gained knowledge that is second to none.

You do her a great dis-service and should perhaps go beyond looking at the pages of the Rigby and Peller Catalogue .........."

The reference to Rigby's was in respect of the fact I suggested she's "well briefed" but I didn't expect everyone would get it.

Being 'an acclaimed intellect amongst her peers' is no recommendation - 1) she's Queen (and has no peers) 2) similarly ennobled nonentities are often similarly inbred. Cousins breeding with cousins is a recipe for disaster.

I doubt books about her run to hundreds of thousands but I accept there's lots. There are also lots and lots of books and references to prehistoric man, Vlad the Impaler and Hitler; none of whom, I'd suggest, are great role models.

over a year ago

You do her a great dis-service and should perhaps go beyond looking at the pages of the Rigby and Peller Catalogue ..........

The reference to Rigby's was in respect of the fact I suggested she's "well briefed" but I didn't expect everyone would get it.

Being 'an acclaimed intellect amongst her peers' is no recommendation - 1) she's Queen (and has no peers) 2) similarly ennobled nonentities are often similarly inbred. Cousins breeding with cousins is a recipe for disaster.

I doubt books about her run to hundreds of thousands but I accept there's lots. There are also lots and lots of books and references to prehistoric man, Vlad the Impaler and Hitler; none of whom, I'd suggest, are great role models."

Her intellectual peers. I never said the queen was a role model. I said she would knock you intellectually into a cocked hat.

I know one thing. She doesn't crave intellectual superiority and recognition from a bunch of strangers on a sex website.

over a year ago

I read something in the paper today about how high British kids can aspire to be and hereditary privelige ,it said:

The head of state in the Us had a mother on food stamps

The head of state in the UK had a mother on postage stamps

over a year ago

"

............... Im not your new sparring partner."

I doubt you have the qualifications to carry the spitoon.

over a year ago

"

............... Im not your new sparring partner.

I doubt you have the qualifications to carry the spitoon."

Whys that then?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Racist remarks will not be tolerated on the forums and why a posts have been removed.

If you quoted the post your post will have been removed too.

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

al over my head ...goes to next post

over a year ago

Maybe not quite on the same level as the girl in the coffee shop. I was in the car with my sister and we drove past a house with lots of solar panels in the roof.

My sister "If everyone had solar panels, the sun would only last a year"

Me "No!!! solar panels don't use all the suns energy it just converts it"

My Sister "Oh so it doesn't hurt the sun"

!!!!!!!!

over a year ago

"

My sister "If everyone had solar panels, the sun would only last a year"

!!!!!!!!"

lol thats fantastic and awww bless your sis

but thats still worthy of a frying pan bonk round the head

Donnnnnnnng!!!

over a year ago

She's 19, which is no excuse! She does worry me sometimes with the things she comes out with""" x

over a year ago

Duno I still come out with random comments part my crazy charm lol

over a year ago

yep get her a present - a brand new frying pan - and doooonnnnnggggg !

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 16/04/11 09:01:57]

over a year ago

We were watching the 6th formers playing cricket at school with my pals. Well pretending to watch the cricket.

One player was declared out by LBW. "What does that mean asked my friend?" Clueless I answered very loudly "Last Bowler Went".

I got laughed off the pavilion by the lads sitting behind us.....

Post new Message to Thread