Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Ghostbusters failure

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Well the feminist reboot of Ghostbusters has failed miserably, set to lose millions. They shouldn't give up yet though, I think a female reboot of Brokeback Mountain would be a huge success

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Was planning on watching it ...but i think i will give it a miss now

over a year ago

Yeah I've only heard shit things about it. This is what happens when you try and make a political point from a classic movie

over a year ago

Have you not been to see it then ...

over a year ago

Saw a pirated version a mate had. Don't usually do that but kept hearing how shit it was and wanted to see for myself without the expense. It's dire

By *izbitMan
over a year ago

St Helens

Thought it was like jurassic world and more of a sequel than a reboot?

over a year ago

I actually enjoyed it

over a year ago

At least you didnt have to pay to see how dire it was then ... and pay for the popcorn and hot dogs and drinks that are so expensive ...much cheaper in fact free

over a year ago

Some films should never be messed with.

A bit like with Point Break and a very few others, I won't watch the remakes.

over a year ago

"Was planning on watching it ...but i think i will give it a miss now "

Just watch the trailer on YouTube and decide for yourself. Of course if that trailer looks good to you then you should consult your GP afterwards.

By *mojeeCouple
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Wouldn't watch it if you paid me tbh. Don't mess with the classics. At least the guys who own the rights to bttf have said it will never be remade and they won't allow any kind of follow on movie to happen.

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman
over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

It looks pants to me

over a year ago

Ghostbusters 2016: because progress involves:

1) Women making (bad) jokes at mens expense (two wrongs and all) 2) Recasting the black character as stupid, ultra agressive and obnoxious (unlike the original where the black character was actually one of the most normal).

In defence of 2, they did manage to find an actress who naturally fits the role by playing herself.

This is progress folks

By *izbitMan
over a year ago

St Helens

"It looks pants to me"

Agreed didn't get the need for a new concept

By *ovely CummingsWoman
over a year ago

Peaky Nipples

Dan Aykroyd was one of the producers, and almost all of the original cast have cameos in it

It doesn't make any difference if the leads are all female or, all male, and I think they went for all female more because it was all male in the original

The new one is a 're-boot and not a remake as it has a different story line, well, what little story there is

The film is pretty lame and fans of the original won't enjoy it, but, they will enjoy the cameos and I think that's the point

The original fans taking their kids / grandkids to see it will chuckle at the cameos as you won't know who they are if not seen the original

The effects are better but the whole film felt dummed down and aimed at a much younger audience than the original was

That's my twopence worth anyway

By *rs-Naughty_Mr-CuddlesCouple
over a year ago

Nr coleford

We enjoyed it nice to see the cast who are alive in cameo rolls

over a year ago

In a world where nothing is sacred and standards are low there is no inherent problem with an all female reboot. FFS there are enough movies where the leads are male and it is time there were ensemble women led films that are not "chick flicks". The only question should be: Is the film entertaining on its own merits?

over a year ago

" In a world where nothing is sacred and standards are low there is no inherent problem with an all female reboot. FFS there are enough movies where the leads are male and it is time there were ensemble women led films that are not "chick flicks". The only question should be: Is the film entertaining on its own merits?"

The critics and box office can confidently answer that as no. Of course watch the trailer on YouTube and judge for yourself.

I would like to point out that real progress would be a male and female team working together but that's the least of the problems with the film.

over a year ago

I'll probably watch it anyway. Much like verifications... I make my own mind up, I don't rely on strangers to tell me what I will and won't like.

Sometimes shitty films can be awesome.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I've heard a lot of good things about the film. I don't have a problem with female casting, although it does have more than a whiff of publicity stunt as it has gained more column inches for this than the actual film itself.

over a year ago

"I'll probably watch it anyway. Much like verifications... I make my own mind up, I don't rely on strangers to tell me what I will and won't like.

Sometimes shitty films can be awesome. "

"War Inc." and "the room" are so bad they are good so I do know what you mean.

Ask yourself whether this joke is funny: a loud noise goes off and a man is so stupid he covers his eyes instead of his ears.

If that made you laugh then I strongly recommend you do see this film.

over a year ago

"I've heard a lot of good things about the film. I don't have a problem with female casting, although it does have more than a whiff of publicity stunt as it has gained more column inches for this than the actual film itself. "

What exactly have you heard about it that's good? IMDB has it at 5.5 which is 'straight to DVD' territory

over a year ago

"I'll probably watch it anyway. Much like verifications... I make my own mind up, I don't rely on strangers to tell me what I will and won't like.

Ask yourself whether this joke is funny: a loud noise goes off and a man is so stupid he covers his eyes instead of his ears.

If that made you laugh then I strongly recommend you do see this film. "

Your description made me laugh but then I love your sense of humour.

That actual scene in a film would leave me cold so yeah maybe it's as bad as the Angry Birds film.

over a year ago

"I've heard a lot of good things about the film. I don't have a problem with female casting, although it does have more than a whiff of publicity stunt as it has gained more column inches for this than the actual film itself. "

I wondered the same actually. Bit like reverse psychology.

It's kept it in the news much longer than any other film lately.

over a year ago

If that made you laugh then I strongly recommend you do see this film.

Your description made me laugh but then I love your sense of humour.

That actual scene in a film would leave me cold so yeah maybe it's as bad as the Angry Birds film. "

I urge anyone considering it to simply invest a couple of minutes of your life to watch the trailer.

That way we can't be accused of misogyny when we point out that it's just a bad film.

Do watch "the room" on YouTube though because if that doesn't make you laugh then nothing will.

over a year ago

I thought it was good x

over a year ago

People will hate it cause they are comparing it to the original 84 version, GB 2 was awful, even Bill Murray said he wasn't happy with it cause of a lot reasons.

The reboot was never going to get liked by the die hard fans of the 80s, but was aiming for the younger generation, I did like the cameos, I thought the nod to Harold Ramis was a nice touch.

I don't set out to strip a movie down and look for faults, you're seeing a movie about people catching ghosts, you're not watching Shakespeare.

Like these pages on Facebook who point out movie errors, Just switch ya brain off and enjoy it for what it is instead of looking for mistakes

over a year ago

"People will hate it cause they are comparing it to the original 84 version, GB 2 was awful, even Bill Murray said he wasn't happy with it cause of a lot reasons.

The reboot was never going to get liked by the die hard fans of the 80s, but was aiming for the younger generation, I did like the cameos, I thought the nod to Harold Ramis was a nice touch.

I don't set out to strip a movie down and look for faults, you're seeing a movie about people catching ghosts, you're not watching Shakespeare.

Like these pages on Facebook who point out movie errors, Just switch ya brain off and enjoy it for what it is instead of looking for mistakes "

I loved the original.. As did my kids.. but we watched the new one and giggled..

As you say the cameos and nice little bits that link back to the older one are nice..

I see not to many people are kicking up a fuss about the pending remake of splash... and its gender swapped roles.

over a year ago

"People will hate it cause they are comparing it to the original 84 version, GB 2 was awful, even Bill Murray said he wasn't happy with it cause of a lot reasons.

Like these pages on Facebook who point out movie errors, Just switch ya brain off and enjoy it for what it is instead of looking for mistakes "

Good comedy has logic to it.

Good jokes actually have logic to them. That's why it's possible to form a degree of consensus on things that are and are not funny. Comedians do not construct jokes randomly and hope for the best.

You can't pretend to be amused by something that isn't funny, you don't have to analyse it to know why it's not funny (although you could) but a person covering their eyes to shield from sound simply isn't funny.

over a year ago

Like these pages on Facebook who point out movie errors, Just switch ya brain off and enjoy it for what it is instead of looking for mistakes

Good jokes actually have logic to them. That's why it's possible to form a degree of consensus on things that are and are not funny. Comedians do not construct jokes randomly and hope for the best.

You can't pretend to be amused by something that isn't funny, you don't have to analyse it to know why it's not funny (although you could) but a person covering their eyes to shield from sound simply isn't funny. "

Not funny to you and a few others of course but in the context of the scene, some people may have laughed, there was a few moments I did actually laugh out loud, that scene wasn't one of them though, but loads of other funny moments.

The thing is, not everyone will agree with the op on this, some will like it some won't, and that's what makes us human, we're all different. Different things make us laugh, if we all laughed at the same things, well, that would be quite boring and predictable really.

over a year ago

You can't pretend to be amused by something that isn't funny, you don't have to analyse it to know why it's not funny (although you could) but a person covering their eyes to shield from sound simply isn't funny.

Not funny to you and a few others of course but in the context of the scene, some people may have laughed, there was a few moments I did actually laugh out loud, that scene wasn't one of them though, but loads of other funny moments.

The thing is, not everyone will agree with the op on this, some will like it some won't, and that's what makes us human, we're all different. Different things make us laugh, if we all laughed at the same things, well, that would be quite boring and predictable really."

The question isn't whether some people laugh and some don't. That is inevitable. A good comedy film is a film that makes a lot of people laugh.

Judging by the objective box office figures, not many people wanted to see the film the first place and judging by the objective scores on IMDB, those that did see it didn't find it very funny. Ergo, it is not a good film. Although naturally a minority of people will like it.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"I've heard a lot of good things about the film. I don't have a problem with female casting, although it does have more than a whiff of publicity stunt as it has gained more column inches for this than the actual film itself.

What exactly have you heard about it that's good? IMDB has it at 5.5 which is 'straight to DVD' territory"

Through friends that have been to see it. Most enjoyed it and had nice things to say about it.

over a year ago

You can't pretend to be amused by something that isn't funny, you don't have to analyse it to know why it's not funny (although you could) but a person covering their eyes to shield from sound simply isn't funny. "

Hands over eyes not ears... isn't that an old joke like Laurel & Hardy/ The Three Stooges? People thought they were funny back in those days.

Clowns slipping on banana skins.

Standing on a rake and it smacks them in the face.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Am I bovver'd?

over a year ago

Hands over eyes not ears... isn't that an old joke like Laurel & Hardy/ The Three Stooges? People thought they were funny back in those days.

Clowns slipping on banana skins.

Standing on a rake and it smacks them in the face."

The point of the film is to show how smart women are compared to men, well white women anyway. So I wouldn't even say it's that Laurel & Hardy humor.

The other type of humor is about black stereotypes that might have been funny in a 90's Eddie Murphy film when nobody had seen them (think 'norbit') but really are tiresome now. Ironic to find them in a film that considers itself progressive.

over a year ago

"Am I bovver'd? "

I bet you don't even know what farm-to-table means

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Am I bovver'd?

I bet you don't even know what farm-to-table means "

I refer the Honourable Member to my previous answer

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

At least Jason Bourne is worth seeing!

over a year ago

"Well the feminist reboot of Ghostbusters has failed miserably, set to lose millions. They shouldn't give up yet though, I think a female reboot of Brokeback Mountain would be a huge success"

We enjoyed it, our kids thought it was great

By *eryCuriousCouple2012Couple
over a year ago

Funville

"The point of the film is to show how smart women are compared to men, well white women anyway. So I wouldn't even say it's that Laurel & Hardy humor.

The other type of humor is about black stereotypes that might have been funny in a 90's Eddie Murphy film when nobody had seen them (think 'norbit') but really are tiresome now. Ironic to find them in a film that considers itself progressive. "

Erm, eh? As a diehard fan of the original, I can honestly say I thought the film was brilliant! It was funny, had ghosts(!), a story and was enjoyable. People making out that the Patty character was anything but an intelligent, funny, brave and articulate person clearly hasn't seen the film. It also doesn't pit men v women to be honest. It's a real shame so many people haven't taken it on its merits; just watched the trailers or heard someone say it's shit

over a year ago

"The point of the film is to show how smart women are compared to men, well white women anyway. So I wouldn't even say it's that Laurel & Hardy humor.

The other type of humor is about black stereotypes that might have been funny in a 90's Eddie Murphy film when nobody had seen them (think 'norbit') but really are tiresome now. Ironic to find them in a film that considers itself progressive.

Erm, eh? As a diehard fan of the original, I can honestly say I thought the film was brilliant! It was funny, had ghosts(!), a story and was enjoyable. People making out that the Patty character was anything but an intelligent, funny, brave and articulate person clearly hasn't seen the film. It also doesn't pit men v women to be honest. It's a real shame so many people haven't taken it on its merits; just watched the trailers or heard someone say it's shit "

Verbatim quote from the black character in the trailer "you guys are really smart about this science stuff but I know New York". On what planet does that make someone sound intelligent and articulate!!

over a year ago

Funville

Erm, eh? As a diehard fan of the original, I can honestly say I thought the film was brilliant! It was funny, had ghosts(!), a story and was enjoyable. People making out that the Patty character was anything but an intelligent, funny, brave and articulate person clearly hasn't seen the film. It also doesn't pit men v women to be honest. It's a real shame so many people haven't taken it on its merits; just watched the trailers or heard someone say it's shit

Verbatim quote from the black character in the trailer "you guys are really smart about this science stuff but I know New York". On what planet does that make someone sound intelligent and articulate!! "

Yep, just the trailer! The actual film portrays her completely differently - you have to watch it in context

over a year ago

Verbatim quote from the black character in the trailer "you guys are really smart about this science stuff but I know New York". On what planet does that make someone sound intelligent and articulate!!

Yep, just the trailer! The actual film portrays her completely differently - you have to watch it in context"

The trailer is taking clips from the film is it not?! The next line she says is "oh hell no" in another stereotypical tone associated with low intelligence / highly aggressive woman known in slang and gangsta rap as 'hood rats'. Then she proceeds to smack someone in the face.

The people who did watch it gave it and average score of 5.5 on IMDB so I'm not sure it's worth the benefit of the doubt. Personally I don't want to spend money on it and encourage Sony to make more propoganda remakes.

The CGI is amateurish too.

over a year ago

Funville

Yep, just the trailer! The actual film portrays her completely differently - you have to watch it in context

The trailer is taking clips from the film is it not?! The next line she says is "oh hell no" in another stereotypical tone associated with low intelligence / highly aggressive woman known in slang and gangsta rap as 'hood rats'. Then she proceeds to smack someone in the face.

The people who did watch it gave it and average score of 5.5 on IMDB so I'm not sure it's worth the benefit of the doubt. Personally I don't want to spend money on it and encourage Sony to make more propoganda remakes.

The CGI is amateurish too. "

I am one of those who watched it! I enjoyed it and anything taken of context can be misconstrued! It's naive to think otherwise.

over a year ago

"Some films should never be messed with.

A bit like with Point Break and a very few others, I won't watch the remakes."

Point break was a very good remake.Robocop sucked though.

over a year ago

I am one of those who watched it! I enjoyed it and anything taken of context can be misconstrued! It's naive to think otherwise. "

The context is that it's a film with shit reviews, a loss making take at the box office and a 5.5 score on IMDB.

You are of course welcome to enjoy it but the evidence suggests that most people won't.

over a year ago

Funville

I am one of those who watched it! I enjoyed it and anything taken of context can be misconstrued! It's naive to think otherwise.

The context is that it's a film with shit reviews, a loss making take at the box office and a 5.5 score on IMDB.

You are of course welcome to enjoy it but the evidence suggests that most people won't.

"

The film itself more than made money; it's the marketing and promotion stuff that means it making a loss. Thank you for allowing me to enjoy the film I've actually seen and you haven't. I really appreciate your generosity.

over a year ago

"

The film itself more than made money; it's the marketing and promotion stuff that means it making a loss."

Do I really need to explain the difference between gross and net profit?

over a year ago

Funville

"

The film itself more than made money; it's the marketing and promotion stuff that means it making a loss.

Do I really need to explain the difference between gross and net profit? "

You really are quite patronising aren't you? I've seen it, I enjoyed it. Using my knowledge of the actual film I feel I can more accurately judge any shortcomings better than someone who has just viewed trailers. Let's just agree to disagree shall we?

By *igerstyle2k2Man
over a year ago

Oxfordshire

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was funny and did a good job of having a bit of the old and new.

Lose money? It's already made its budget back in boxoffice sales and then some. It's going to make more money when it comes out on DVD/Blu-ray and a bit more when with the likes of the streaming services.

over a year ago

"I really enjoyed it. I thought it was funny and did a good job of having a bit of the old and new.

Lose money? It's already made its budget back in boxoffice sales and then some. It's going to make more money when it comes out on DVD/Blu-ray and a bit more when with the likes of the streaming services."

OK it turns out I do have to explain gross and net profit.

The film cost $144m to make and has taken about $180m at the box office so far and will probably take $240m once international sales and DVDs etc are accounted for.

That's a gross profit. Very few business don't make a gross profit. It's pretty hard to make a gross loss.

However, film don't market themselves and it's expensive to get those billboards everywhere. Sony have said the breakeven point for the film is $300m.

That's a net loss.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

So is profit/loss the only measure of a film then?

over a year ago

"So is profit/loss the only measure of a film then?"

If you read the thread properly you'd see the other objective measures I've already mentioned.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

"So is profit/loss the only measure of a film then?

If you read the thread properly you'd see the other objective measures I've already mentioned."

Nah, go on, repeat yourself

over a year ago

Let's be fair it's never going to be as good as the original but I really enjoyed it x

By *ngel n tedCouple
over a year ago

maidstone

It's bollocks, and there's frankly no need for it. They should have gone with the sequel dan akroyd penned and probably would have if omg bill fucking murray... excuse my language, hadn't constantly dragged his heels on it.

By *acavityMan
over a year ago

Redditch

I saw it at the cinema.

I liked the original, hated the sequel, and liked the reboot (to my surprise)

But I know that my tastes don't follow the mainstream.

I thought it was funny. Didn't think it was feminist unless you mean the female characters had characters rather than being eye candy.

Hollywood is all about sequels & remakes.

This year, Jason Bourne 5, magnificent seven (the original was a remake of a Japanese film) and many superhero films.

Of course another reason why the makers of this movie are losing money, may be people watching it on illegal downloads.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

How many people who dislike this film have watched it?

over a year ago

Funville

"How many people who dislike this film have watched it?"

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Just another example of Hollywood at it's most tedious.

Take a good idea and then flog it to death until every last cent has been wrung out of it.

Next!

over a year ago

"How many people who dislike this film have watched it?"

Another logical fallacy. You don't need to take heroin to know it's bad for you.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"How many people who dislike this film have watched it?

Another logical fallacy. You don't need to take heroin to know it's bad for you. "

How about morphine in a hospital setting?

over a year ago

I thought it was average. Obviously not as good as the first one but I thought it had quite a few amusing lines. Worth watching in my view. My view is biased due to finding Kristen Wigg to be a total hotty.

It's funny to slate the film saying that it's "set to fail and lose millions" and then immediately follow that with "I watched it on pirate copy".

I'm not judging such antics as we've all done it (watching porn being prime example.. don't think I've ever paid for porn) but I do think it's different for the film and music industry now compared to 1984 when you couldn't as easily watch it without paying for it.

Obviously everyone's entitled to their view on the film.. can see why people may not like it. I'll give it an average 6/10.

over a year ago

"

It's funny to slate the film saying that it's "set to fail and lose millions" and then immediately follow that with "I watched it on pirate copy". "

Who said that?! That is funny!

I don't have all the facts at hand but I'm pretty sure this film isn't bombing because it's been especially vulnerable to pirating though!!

over a year ago

Another logical fallacy. You don't need to take heroin to know it's bad for you.

How about morphine in a hospital setting?"

Yes I would watch Ghostbusters if I was in hospital bored out of my brain and there was nothing else on. Just to critique it properly.

But until then I can think of a few thousand other better ways to spend my time and money. Like arguing with strangers on the Internet for one.

By *izbitMan
over a year ago

St Helens

How about morphine in a hospital setting?

In other new the purge election year is fairly I'd sooner drop a table on my toe to

"

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Another logical fallacy. You don't need to take heroin to know it's bad for you. "

Straw man argument

By *ilbearniMan
over a year ago

peninsula

Saw it recently, thought it was OK, not fantastic but a good enough movie for the family to watch together. Some nice references to the original, better than Ghostbusters 2, I'm on. Don't just listen to the media, go see it.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Why? Because a stranger said they didn't like it? Don't you have an opinion of your own?

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"Yeah I've only heard shit things about it. This is what happens when you try and make a political point from a classic movie "

So you've not actually seen it then?

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Sometimes shitty films can be awesome. "

Exactly this!!!

I've seen films with rave reviews that have bored me rigid and crappy films that have entertained me no end.

Give me Expendables over Theory of Everything!

over a year ago

Straw man argument "

If you have unlimited time and budget then yes you can personally sample every single product and service our beautiful capitalist market has to offer and write a personalised review of them.

I'm just a poor boy from a poor family and I have to make predictions about things to try and derive the maximum pleasure from my very limited resources.

Most movie studios try to make good trailers to entice people to watch film. That's how most people will form a big part of their prediction rather than relying on "oh I know the trailer is shit but just buy it anyway because there's still a chance you'll like it". Alternatively, Sony can do their damn job properly.

over a year ago

"Was planning on watching it ...but i think i will give it a miss now

Why? Because a stranger said they didn't like it? Don't you have an opinion of your own?"

Because actually a lot of people said they didn't like it on IMDB.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Straw man argument

If you have unlimited time and budget then yes you can personally sample every single product and service our beautiful capitalist market has to offer and write a personalised review of them.

I'm just a poor boy from a poor family and I have to make predictions about things to try and derive the maximum pleasure from my very limited resources.

Most movie studios try to make good trailers to entice people to watch film. That's how most people will form a big part of their prediction rather than relying on "oh I know the trailer is shit but just buy it anyway because there's still a chance you'll like it". Alternatively, Sony can do their damn job properly. "

They're there to make money - not art

By *herbert fountainWoman
over a year ago

Hanley

I fail to understand how someone can pass judgement on something they haven't seen. It's like saying you don't like broccoli because your friend tried it and didn't like it.

over a year ago

Straw man argument

Most movie studios try to make good trailers to entice people to watch film. That's how most people will form a big part of their prediction rather than relying on "oh I know the trailer is shit but just buy it anyway because there's still a chance you'll like it". Alternatively, Sony can do their damn job properly.

They're there to make money - not art"

Sarcasm?

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"I fail to understand how someone can pass judgement on something they haven't seen. It's like saying you don't like broccoli because your friend tried it and didn't like it."

Quite - but I don;t need to eat a dirty burger from a dirty burger van to know it's unhealthy

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Straw man argument

Sarcasm? "

Sony's being sarcastic?

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

At the end of the day it's a new Ghostbusters, not Gandhi. It's only ever going to be a throwaway film, bit of a chuckle one afternoon / evening maybe. I would try not to get too upset about it either way lol

Mr B

over a year ago

"I fail to understand how someone can pass judgement on something they haven't seen. It's like saying you don't like broccoli because your friend tried it and didn't like it.

"

If you and your friend have similar tastes and you have to choose between different foods, because you can't consume everything, is it not unreasonable to predict you are more likely to enjoy the food they recommend over the one they don't?

over a year ago

"I fail to understand how someone can pass judgement on something they haven't seen. It's like saying you don't like broccoli because your friend tried it and didn't like it.

Quite - but I don;t need to eat a dirty burger from a dirty burger van to know it's unhealthy"

Smooth

over a year ago

Well we have a gremlins revamp in line and dare a say, a follow up to Goonies. So more judgements to regarding movie reboots etc.

over a year ago

Straw man argument

Sarcasm?

Sony's being sarcastic?

"

You know the film is not making money right?

over a year ago

Hanley

Quite - but I don;t need to eat a dirty burger from a dirty burger van to know it's unhealthy"

But the question isn't is it healthy...it's do you like it. You are choosing not to taste it based on information, which is your choice and fair enough, but you can't say it doesn't taste good if you haven't actually tasted it.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Well we have a gremlins revamp in line and dare a say, a follow up to Goonies. So more judgements to regarding movie reboots etc."

It's pointless. Are any of them gonna be better than the treasured originals? Or will they just dig up and reanimate an horrific creature?

All for the love of money, lack of imagination and being risk averse.

But that's Hollywood.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Straw man argument

Sarcasm?

Sony's being sarcastic?

You know the film is not making money right? "

I've paid no attention whatsoever. So it's losing cash too?

over a year ago

"Well we have a gremlins revamp in line and dare a say, a follow up to Goonies. So more judgements to regarding movie reboots etc.

It's pointless. Are any of them gonna be better than the treasured originals? Or will they just dig up and reanimate an horrific creature?

All for the love of money, lack of imagination and being risk averse.

But that's Hollywood.

"

Well, that wraps this thread up quote nicely Geezer. I can't really add to that

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Quite - but I don;t need to eat a dirty burger from a dirty burger van to know it's unhealthy

But the question isn't is it healthy...it's do you like it. You are choosing not to taste it based on information, which is your choice and fair enough, but you can't say it doesn't taste good if you haven't actually tasted it."

I don't like dirty burgers, irrespective of the van it's come from

over a year ago

"I see not to many people are kicking up a fuss about the pending remake of splash... and its gender swapped roles. "

I am looking forward to Brian Jones's Diary

over a year ago

Straw man argument

Sarcasm?

Sony's being sarcastic?

"

Always great when people join a thread at the end, without reading the start, so we have to start repeating ourselves

But just for you, yes it is currently loss making and is projected to make a loss of $25m - $70m when international and DVD sales are taken into account.

over a year ago

Hanley

But the question isn't is it healthy...it's do you like it. You are choosing not to taste it based on information, which is your choice and fair enough, but you can't say it doesn't taste good if you haven't actually tasted it.

I don't like dirty burgers, irrespective of the van it's come from"

And still you miss the point

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Straw man argument

Sarcasm?

Sony's being sarcastic?

Always great when people join a thread at the end, without reading the start, so we have to start repeating ourselves

But just for you, yes it is currently loss making and is projected to make a loss of $25m - $70m when international and DVD sales are taken into account. "

Just joking with ya

I didn;t say they were making money, only that they (Sony) are there to make money.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

And still you miss the point "

I think food is a bad analogy

over a year ago

And still you miss the point "

Anyone can say "the burger tasted good to me" and nobody can dispute that. Anyone else can objectively say that the burger does not have the ingredients or preparation to be considered a "high quality" burger and therefore if a friend wanted to eat a high quality burger then one would not recommend the aforementioned van to them.

If the friend was fond of poor quality burgers because they like a bit of rough, then said van would be a good recommendation.

over a year ago

Straw man argument

Sarcasm?

Sony's being sarcastic?

But just for you, yes it is currently loss making and is projected to make a loss of $25m - $70m when international and DVD sales are taken into account.

Just joking with ya

I didn;t say they were making money, only that they (Sony) are there to make money. "

You nasty so and so

over a year ago

"

It's funny to slate the film saying that it's "set to fail and lose millions" and then immediately follow that with "I watched it on pirate copy".

Who said that?! That is funny!

I don't have all the facts at hand but I'm pretty sure this film isn't bombing because it's been especially vulnerable to pirating though!! "

The OP said it within the original post and then said he's watched it on a pirated copy that his mate gave him. Which I wouldn't judge him for.. and not saying it's been the new ghostbusters downfall, but I doubt it's helped. And it's a bit rich to slate the film saying it's bombing at the box office when you didn't pay cash to watch it.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

Straw man argument

Sarcasm?

Sony's being sarcastic?

But just for you, yes it is currently loss making and is projected to make a loss of $25m - $70m when international and DVD sales are taken into account. "

How do you measure profit?

over a year ago

Straw man argument

Sarcasm?

Sony's being sarcastic?

How do you measure profit?"

The same way all accountants do. It's not a subjective thing.

over a year ago

Hanley

Anyone can say "the burger tasted good to me" and nobody can dispute that. Anyone else can objectively say that the burger does not have the ingredients or preparation to be considered a "high quality" burger and therefore if a friend wanted to eat a high quality burger then one would not recommend the aforementioned van to them.

If the friend was fond of poor quality burgers because they like a bit of rough, then said van would be a good recommendation. "

I agree with you. My point was that only the person that has actually tried the burger can say if it tasted good to them. Anyone that hasn't tried the burger, for whatever justifiable reason, cannot say it doesn't taste good. They can say they don't THINK it does...but not that it doesn't.

over a year ago

If the friend was fond of poor quality burgers because they like a bit of rough, then said van would be a good recommendation.

I agree with you. My point was that only the person that has actually tried the burger can say if it tasted good to them. Anyone that hasn't tried the burger, for whatever justifiable reason, cannot say it doesn't taste good. They can say they don't THINK it does...but not that it doesn't. "

Agree!! I've not tried to tell anyone they didn't enjoy it and I've said 4 times that people should watch the trailer and make their own mind up!

Obviously some people liked it which is why it's got a 5.5 on IMDB, if nobody liked it then it would be a 1 or a 0!! But let's not pretend 5.5 is a good score.

I'm just surprised at how many people (not you) seem to take offence at a statement of fact that the film is currently loss making and projected to make a net loss when sales tailor off. I don't really understand why that's so contentious to people?

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

I agree with you. My point was that only the person that has actually tried the burger can say if it tasted good to them. Anyone that hasn't tried the burger, for whatever justifiable reason, cannot say it doesn't taste good. They can say they don't THINK it does...but not that it doesn't. "

Yeah, but if it's mouldy and served by some dodgy geezer who looks like he hasn't washed in a week I ain't putting it in my mouth.

But you go for your life

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

Straw man argument

Sarcasm?

Sony's being sarcastic?

The same way all accountants do. It's not a subjective thing. "

So are $$$ the only measure of profitability then?

over a year ago

Straw man argument

Sarcasm?

Sony's being sarcastic?

So are $$$ the only measure of profitability then?"

British accountants would typically measure profit using pounds rather than dollars.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

Straw man argument

Sarcasm?

Sony's being sarcastic?

British accountants would typically measure profit using pounds rather than dollars. "

That's not answering the question is it, do you think a films profitability is only measurable in financial terms?

over a year ago

Straw man argument

Sarcasm?

Sony's being sarcastic?

British accountants would typically measure profit using pounds rather than dollars.

That's not answering the question is it, do you think a films profitability is only measurable in financial terms?"

It's not what I think, it's a fact. Sony is a floated business. Those businesses have to report their performance to shareholders. That is the job of accountants. Accounting has a standard definition of what profit it. Those are all undisputable facts so please don't bore me with semantics. Nobody cares if you have a personal opinion that profit is or should be something else. That's not what the word means, go invent a new word if you disagree.

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"

That's not answering the question is it, do you think a films profitability is only measurable in financial terms?"

I'm a bit lost on this one. Are you trying to say that the film is profitable in terms what it gives to society, rather than its financial profit?

over a year ago

Funville

"

That's not answering the question is it, do you think a films profitability is only measurable in financial terms?

I'm a bit lost on this one. Are you trying to say that the film is profitable in terms what it gives to society, rather than its financial profit?"

Are you saying that success of an artistic medium is not measurable purely in financial terms? Who can measure the worth of a simple piece of music that brings joy? A painting that makes you feel despair or a film that makes you laugh? I would suggest that any expression of art that evokes a reaction is a success

over a year ago

Straw man argument

Sarcasm?

Sony's being sarcastic?

It's not what I think, it's a fact. Sony is a floated business. Those businesses have to report their performance to shareholders. That is the job of accountants. Accounting has a standard definition of what profit it. Those are all undisputable facts so please don't bore me with semantics. Nobody cares if you have a personal opinion that profit is or should be something else. That's not what the word means, go invent a new word if you disagree. "

My understanding is that although there is standard definition of profit, there is flexibility as to what you deduct , and when you deduct all critical at arriving at profit. There is also the question of what markets you include. So John Carter from Mars initially made a loss in the US but when overseas sales and dvds sales were included it was profitable, but not profitable enough for a sequel. Also sales of toys and merchandising are not included as yet. So all that is being measured is the raw takings at the box office. However the Avengers Assemble box office takings were phenomenal.

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

Flippin 'eck . I think it's best just left as the OP didn't like Ghostbusters, but some other people thought it was OK.

over a year ago

"Flippin 'eck . I think it's best just left as the OP didn't like Ghostbusters, but some other people thought it was OK."

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

Straw man argument

Sarcasm?

Sony's being sarcastic?

It's not what I think, it's a fact. Sony is a floated business. Those businesses have to report their performance to shareholders. That is the job of accountants. Accounting has a standard definition of what profit it. Those are all undisputable facts so please don't bore me with semantics. Nobody cares if you have a personal opinion that profit is or should be something else. That's not what the word means, go invent a new word if you disagree. "

So you've never heard of a loss leader?

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

So, they made Ghostbusters as a loss leader??? To what???

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I think it's actually very hard to make a loss in a big film. Even the famously unprofitable Waterworld eventually became profitable.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

"So, they made Ghostbusters as a loss leader??? To what???

"

How many kids would have bought a Ghostbusters video game this time last year?, how many Ghostbusters Saturday morning cartoons were airing this time last year?, how many Ghostbusters toys were sold this time last year?, how many people clicked on the word Ghostbusters thus time last year? Sony is a multi stream company it doesn't need box office takings to make a film profitable

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

"I think it's actually very hard to make a loss in a big film. Even the famously unprofitable Waterworld eventually became profitable. "

Blade Runner famously tanked at the box office

over a year ago

"I think it's actually very hard to make a loss in a big film. Even the famously unprofitable Waterworld eventually became profitable.

Blade Runner famously tanked at the box office"

As did Waterworld, boom boom!

over a year ago

I mistakenly saw this film expecting it to be the more famous 'Ghostbummers' set in a female prison with corrupt male guards ... Can you imagine my disappointment with 1) absolutely no anal action and 2) being escorted from the Local Vue with my pants round my ankles - a lesson to all of there i think!!

over a year ago

How many kids would have bought a Ghostbusters video game this time last year?, how many Ghostbusters Saturday morning cartoons were airing this time last year?, how many Ghostbusters toys were sold this time last year?, how many people clicked on the word Ghostbusters thus time last year? Sony is a multi stream company it doesn't need box office takings to make a film profitable "

It's embarrassing that you are so determined to try and keep scratching at things and haven't actually bothered to do any research or check any facts. Why not go and look at the meaning of the term "breakeven" before you embarrass yourself further.

Why does it bother you so much that the film is loss making? You must really like the agenda it's trying to shove down people's throat.

over a year ago

Straw man argument

Sarcasm?

Sony's being sarcastic?

It's not what I think, it's a fact. Sony is a floated business. Those businesses have to report their performance to shareholders. That is the job of accountants. Accounting has a standard definition of what profit it. Those are all undisputable facts so please don't bore me with semantics. Nobody cares if you have a personal opinion that profit is or should be something else. That's not what the word means, go invent a new word if you disagree.

My understanding is that although there is standard definition of profit, there is flexibility as to what you deduct , and when you deduct all critical at arriving at profit. There is also the question of what markets you include. So John Carter from Mars initially made a loss in the US but when overseas sales and dvds sales were included it was profitable, but not profitable enough for a sequel. Also sales of toys and merchandising are not included as yet. So all that is being measured is the raw takings at the box office. However the Avengers Assemble box office takings were phenomenal."

I gave the figures earlier, the projected take included international sales, DVD sales and merchandise.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I'm beginning to think you aren't a fan of this new Ghostbusters film

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

Admin are making a new sub-forum like they did with Politics, for the ongoing Ghostbusters debate.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

How many kids would have bought a Ghostbusters video game this time last year?, how many Ghostbusters Saturday morning cartoons were airing this time last year?, how many Ghostbusters toys were sold this time last year?, how many people clicked on the word Ghostbusters thus time last year? Sony is a multi stream company it doesn't need box office takings to make a film profitable

It's embarrassing that you are so determined to try and keep scratching at things and haven't actually bothered to do any research or check any facts. Why not go and look at the meaning of the term "breakeven" before you embarrass yourself further.

Why does it bother you so much that the film is loss making? You must really like the agenda it's trying to shove down people's throat. "

Fuck me count up the number (of repetitive) posts you've made in here if you wanna see who's bothered

over a year ago

Why does it bother you so much that the film is loss making? You must really like the agenda it's trying to shove down people's throat.

Fuck me count up the number (of repetitive) posts you've made in here if you wanna see who's bothered "

Because people like you keep re-wording the same questions hoping to get a different answer. Or just randomly throwing in business terms hoping one sticks. How many ways are you going ask what profit is?

over a year ago

"Admin are making a new sub-forum like they did with Politics, for the ongoing Ghostbusters debate."

I must admit, I've never seen such a trivial subject go the way it has, obviously people are very passionate about this movie.

over a year ago

"Admin are making a new sub-forum like they did with Politics, for the ongoing Ghostbusters debate.

I must admit, I've never seen such a trivial subject go the way it has, obviously people are very passionate about this movie."

I believe the technical term is 'first world problems'

over a year ago

"Admin are making a new sub-forum like they did with Politics, for the ongoing Ghostbusters debate.

I must admit, I've never seen such a trivial subject go the way it has, obviously people are very passionate about this movie.

I believe the technical term is 'first world problems' "

I've had this argument with a few friends, one thought it was great (he also loved the 84 version and is as geek as they come), the other totally panned it and even had a go at the wooden performance of the blond chick, I was ready to throw the custard at them, needless to say when we all meet up again the subject will come up.

over a year ago

I've had this argument with a few friends, one thought it was great (he also loved the 84 version and is as geek as they come), the other totally panned it and even had a go at the wooden performance of the blond chick, I was ready to throw the custard at them, needless to say when we all meet up again the subject will come up. "

Beats another brexit arguement though doesn't it

over a year ago

I've had this argument with a few friends, one thought it was great (he also loved the 84 version and is as geek as they come), the other totally panned it and even had a go at the wooden performance of the blond chick, I was ready to throw the custard at them, needless to say when we all meet up again the subject will come up.

Beats another brexit arguement though doesn't it "

Shit man don't even go there, Facebook turned in to the fucking House of Commons following that for about a week.

over a year ago

Beats another brexit arguement though doesn't it

Shit man don't even go there, Facebook turned in to the fucking House of Commons following that for about a week. "

The politics forum still is! I just come up here for air.

over a year ago

crap film! watching the 1984 one right now...still awesome

Post new Message to Thread