Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Tummy exercises

Jump to newest

By *ubbykitten OP   Woman
over a year ago

Kent

I wpuld like to ask for advice from those who frequent the gym and into training /toning their bodies..

You see, although I am slim...ok I am tiny. ..size 6! However I am now 47 and not exactly one for going to the gym (though I am one of those twats who pays to belong to one!!!) . So despite 'looking skim', I actually have little muscle tone. Especially around my tummy area. I call it my kangaroo pouch! )

But is it possible to get a toned tummy and overall toned body in my late 40s or have I left it too late?

Genuine answers please as this is a genuine question.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *inglehotchickWoman
over a year ago

blackpool

Never too late. I have abs and have had 4 kids x

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I wpuld like to ask for advice from those who frequent the gym and into training /toning their bodies..

You see, although I am slim...ok I am tiny. ..size 6! However I am now 47 and not exactly one for going to the gym (though I am one of those twats who pays to belong to one!!!) . So despite 'looking skim', I actually have little muscle tone. Especially around my tummy area. I call it my kangaroo pouch! )

But is it possible to get a toned tummy and overall toned body in my late 40s or have I left it too late?

Genuine answers please as this is a genuine question. "

It's never too late to tone up, what I would suggest if you don't like going to the gym is to do excercises such as the plank which is great for core strength or excercises such as sit ups or burpees

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Aren't sit ups supposed to be good for that?

P.s. never been to a gym in ma life

over a year ago

Kent

"Never too late. I have abs and have had 4 kids x"

But did you exercise regularly before you had kids? I know that muscles have memory do its easier if you have always done worked out. However I have been lazy. ...admittedly because I am slim and haven't needed to do so to lose weight. However, I do need to exercise for suppleness and to gain some muscle tone.

over a year ago

Kent

"Aren't sit ups supposed to be good for that?

P.s. never been to a gym in ma life "

I have heard some say that sit ups don't really work in abs as much as people think? I read that somewhere I recall.

over a year ago

Kent

"I wpuld like to ask for advice from those who frequent the gym and into training /toning their bodies..

It's never too late to tone up, what I would suggest if you don't like going to the gym is to do excercises such as the plank which is great for core strength or excercises such as sit ups or burpees"

What is the plank?

over a year ago

It's never too late to tone up, what I would suggest if you don't like going to the gym is to do excercises such as the plank which is great for core strength or excercises such as sit ups or burpees

What is the plank?"

Lay down on your front, your arms should be in front of you on the floor in a sort of praying position, you need to support your body weight on your arms and your tip toes

By *ewels74Woman
over a year ago

Dundee/Angus/Blackpool

It's fun and if you use pinterest type plank and you will get a lot of nice suggestions on the way to try on a daily basis

over a year ago

"It's fun and if you use pinterest type plank and you will get a lot of nice suggestions on the way to try on a daily basis"

Yeah probably best to find a routine that suits you, build up the time you hold it for

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I have heard some say that sit ups don't really work in abs as much as people think? I read that somewhere I recall. "

Well it's worth a try, and it's free

over a year ago

I have heard some say that sit ups don't really work in abs as much as people think? I read that somewhere I recall. "

They don't really, if you do them regularly you'll get some tone and definition but not much...you may do better than I have though cause you're naturally slim

over a year ago

Kent

I think our old friend 'YouTube ' is going to come in handy!

By *inglehotchickWoman
over a year ago

blackpool

"Never too late. I have abs and have had 4 kids x

But did you exercise regularly before you had kids? I know that muscles have memory do its easier if you have always done worked out. However I have been lazy. ...admittedly because I am slim and haven't needed to do so to lose weight. However, I do need to exercise for suppleness and to gain some muscle tone."

I have been going to the gym around 5 years. I do classes. Bodypump spinning insanity hiit Pilates and others. I also have 2 horses which is amazing for core exercise

People who tell you to do sit ups or planks aren't really giving you good info. I've had a personal trainer in the past. Sit ups only target one section of the abs. You need to do a whole variety of abdominal exercises for a six pack. This is why I do a variety of classes. Hope this helps xx

over a year ago

Hmmm, I don't think window wipers and dragon flies might be a good start but I do recommend crunches, bike (lay on your back, bring your knees up near the chest then back down without touching the floor), sit ups are great but make sure to tense your core throughout exercise. Someone already suggested plank, also make sure to keep your core tight rather than rely on resting all of your weight on the elbows.

By *inglehotchickWoman
over a year ago

blackpool

Just to add I find classes more fun there's the social side of getting to know people plus they do turn into competition. The gym can be boring unless you're a sted head xx

By *kpartystartersCouple
over a year ago

Chester

From a scientific professional stand point, there is no way to specifically tone the stomach. It is just a case of revealing the stomach muscles through reduction of body fat. Everyone has abs already, they are just covered in subcutaneous fat, no amount of supposed ab exercises are going to make a difference.

over a year ago

Genuine answers please as this is a genuine question. "

Sure it is. Watch your water, your sodium intake and you just may be at a stage where to get super lean you will have to combine cardio and have a strict diet.

If you're slim and have little stomach fat you may well have to work those abs hard in order to make them pop out. Leg raises and reverse crunches really work them better than most. Plank will only develop core stability. If you are hard core try an ab wheel (the wheel of justice).

Mr L

over a year ago

"From a scientific professional stand point, there is no way to specifically tone the stomach. It is just a case of revealing the stomach muscles through reduction of body fat. Everyone has abs already, they are just covered in subcutaneous fat, no amount of supposed ab exercises are going to make a difference. "

Just depends on how developed they are. Before stripping far as to whether they distinctive or not.

over a year ago

"From a scientific professional stand point, there is no way to specifically tone the stomach. It is just a case of revealing the stomach muscles through reduction of body fat. Everyone has abs already, they are just covered in subcutaneous fat, no amount of supposed ab exercises are going to make a difference. "

That's what toning is, shredding fat. And yes you can actually grow bigger abs, however I do agree that exercising won't work on itself. When growing muscles or shredding, you need a diet plan to make sure the body has the necessary provisions to repair damaged muscle tissue.

By *workoutMan
over a year ago

Cradley Heath

Disagree, ab work will build stronger, bigger abs when trained for muscular hypertrophy. I do agree that in order to see them though you have to burn off the subcutaneous fat.

over a year ago

Agree with the above, I have a great 6 pack... its just covered with a bit of padding... lol

Also as others have said it's probably a case of shedding the little bump you have with a mix of nutritional/dietary changes, stomach targeted exercises with some cardiovascular exercises.

By the way OP I have to say you look fantastic as you are.

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Guy For 20’s-30’s Girls

Spot on!

over a year ago

I suggest you invest in a personal trainer and start resistance training. Learn the basic compound lifts, such as deadlifts and squats. These are the exercises that will help develop your core muscles and you can also add some muscle by eating well. Good luck.. It changed my life at 48!

By *oseidenMan
over a year ago

warrington

Hanging knee raises!

By *ingle Beds LassWoman
over a year ago

Bedfordshire

Pilates.

over a year ago

Try kettle bells or sandbags x

over a year ago

Age doesn't many anything. You can have body you want. Don't forget that "Abs" are made in the kitchen.

over a year ago

Kent

Problem is I have zero body fat on my body...well very little. So I am not trying to lose fat. It's just a very soft middle that I have....

over a year ago

Kent

"From a scientific professional stand point, there is no way to specifically tone the stomach. It is just a case of revealing the stomach muscles through reduction of body fat. Everyone has abs already, they are just covered in subcutaneous fat, no amount of supposed ab exercises are going to make a difference.

That's what toning is, shredding fat. And yes you can actually grow bigger abs, however I do agree that exercising won't work on itself. When growing muscles or shredding, you need a diet plan to make sure the body has the necessary provisions to repair damaged muscle tissue."

I can't afford to lose more weight. I am only 7 stone

over a year ago

Get a big powerful man to get on all fours, then you can use him as a bench for your feet for crunches

over a year ago

Kent

"I suggest you invest in a personal trainer and start resistance training. Learn the basic compound lifts, such as deadlifts and squats. These are the exercises that will help develop your core muscles and you can also add some muscle by eating well. Good luck.. It changed my life at 48!"

Slightly off topic. ... your photos are beautiful!

over a year ago

Oh, and be careful your knickers don't fall off again!!

over a year ago

Kent

"Get a big powerful man to get on all fours, then you can use him as a bench for your feet for crunches "

I can think of much better things to do with a big powerful man lol xx

over a year ago

"Get a big powerful man to get on all fours, then you can use him as a bench for your feet for crunches

I can think of much better things to do with a big powerful man lol xx"

Lie underneath him and every time you complete a sit up you can lick his dangly bits

over a year ago

"From a scientific professional stand point, there is no way to specifically tone the stomach. It is just a case of revealing the stomach muscles through reduction of body fat. Everyone has abs already, they are just covered in subcutaneous fat, no amount of supposed ab exercises are going to make a difference.

That's what toning is, shredding fat. And yes you can actually grow bigger abs, however I do agree that exercising won't work on itself. When growing muscles or shredding, you need a diet plan to make sure the body has the necessary provisions to repair damaged muscle tissue.

I can't afford to lose more weight. I am only 7 stone"

Jesus! I am sorry OP you are just getting cliches comments. I refer to my previous comment. You look like you have little body fat. Sometimes depending on the person they have to be at a certain percentage for theirs to show due to the development of their abdominal core. In order to develop this, resistance exercises need be used to build the abdominal girdle. Hence I mentioned two that use the weight of the legs as resistance. Again watch you salt and water intake which give you extracellular water smoothing out your appearance. It's amazing how quickly with a little bit of knowledge you can shed water weight and change you appearance.

over a year ago

We are all born woth abdominal muscles. Some people eother just need to train them to accenuate them more or cut down body fat to reveal them more distinctively. For me personally, I love hanging leg raises but these are quite difficult especially as a beginner so ai would suggest starting with leg raises/knees raises on a captain's chair. My other favourite ab exercise is ab crunches using cables and the rope - quite hard to describe so OP as you said earlier, youtube may be your best bet!

Persistence pays off!

over a year ago

Kent

"We are all born woth abdominal muscles. Some people eother just need to train them to accenuate them more or cut down body fat to reveal them more distinctively. For me personally, I love hanging leg raises but these are quite difficult especially as a beginner so ai would suggest starting with leg raises/knees raises on a captain's chair. My other favourite ab exercise is ab crunches using cables and the rope - quite hard to describe so OP as you said earlier, youtube may be your best bet!

Persistence pays off!

"

You have great abs!!! I am not looking to develop a 6 pack though. I just want a flat stomach to get rid of my little 'soft middle'. But I will YouTube these exercises. Thankyou.

over a year ago

Kent

I can't afford to lose more weight. I am only 7 stone

Jesus! I am sorry OP you are just getting cliches comments. I refer to my previous comment. You look like you have little body fat. Sometimes depending on the person they have to be at a certain percentage for theirs to show due to the development of their abdominal core. In order to develop this, resistance exercises need be used to build the abdominal girdle. Hence I mentioned two that use the weight of the legs as resistance. Again watch you salt and water intake which give you extracellular water smoothing out your appearance. It's amazing how quickly with a little bit of knowledge you can shed water weight and change you appearance. "

Oh gosh! All sounding complex! Actually I don't drink enough water really and i dont suffer water retention.

over a year ago

Kent

"Oh, and be careful your knickers don't fall off again!!"

LOL! !

over a year ago

Kent

[Removed by poster at 28/07/16 15:18:29]

over a year ago

Kent

Thing is...I am super lean already..... possibly too much maybe.

So it's just my tummy that is all soft and i dont like it. Plus I need to get some muscle on my thighs as i am too skinny there.

Oh dear. Looks like I need to start going to that gym I pay for!!!!! Grrrrrr lol

over a year ago

OP if you were closer I would give you a one to one session

For just a flat stomach, focus on a few exercise, relatively high reps (10-15) but then I would focus on some cardio.

I tend to do fasted cardio in the morning before I eat, 45 mins on the stair climber (IMO one of the best machine for burning excess fat)

over a year ago

"OP if you were closer I would give you a one to one session

For just a flat stomach, focus on a few exercise, relatively high reps (10-15) but then I would focus on some cardio.

I tend to do fasted cardio in the morning before I eat, 45 mins on the stair climber (IMO one of the best machine for burning excess fat)

"

Have tried jacobs ladder i can burn 500 cals in half an hour on that its fuckin mean machine but not for everyone

over a year ago

"OP if you were closer I would give you a one to one session

Have tried jacobs ladder i can burn 500 cals in half an hour on that its fuckin mean machine but not for everyone"

Haven't tried one of them to be fair, but I hate cardio in the gym, stair climber is the only thing I would do to be honest because I get my cardio in from football 3x a week.

By *artytwoCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

This isn't the best place to ask fitness questions. Trying to sift the genuinely helpful info from the 'look at me', gym fanatics and sycophant comments will just put you off doing anything positive.

Ask for advice from your gym, you pay for it.

over a year ago

Kent

"This isn't the best place to ask fitness questions. Trying to sift the genuinely helpful info from the 'look at me', gym fanatics and sycophant comments will just put you off doing anything positive.

Ask for advice from your gym, you pay for it."

I think that's a bit unfair to be honest. Nothing wrong with sharing ideas and experiences. I haven't seen anyone showing off. Simply sharing their own tips which can only be helpful. Yes i know I can get advice from the gym but nothing wrong with discussing others experiences. It's surprising the knowledge that others have. Some people on FAB are qualified personal trainers and nutritionists so I am happy to listen to different perspectives. I don't think anyone is using it as a 'look at me' thread. It's just a discussion.

By *artytwoCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"This isn't the best place to ask fitness questions. Trying to sift the genuinely helpful info from the 'look at me', gym fanatics and sycophant comments will just put you off doing anything positive.

I think that's a bit unfair to be honest. Nothing wrong with sharing ideas and experiences. I haven't seen anyone showing off. Simply sharing their own tips which can only be helpful. Yes i know I can get advice from the gym but nothing wrong with discussing others experiences. It's surprising the knowledge that others have. Some people on FAB are qualified personal trainers and nutritionists so I am happy to listen to different perspectives. I don't think anyone is using it as a 'look at me' thread. It's just a discussion. "

Fair comment

over a year ago

I think that's a bit unfair to be honest. Nothing wrong with sharing ideas and experiences. I haven't seen anyone showing off. Simply sharing their own tips which can only be helpful. Yes i know I can get advice from the gym but nothing wrong with discussing others experiences. It's surprising the knowledge that others have. Some people on FAB are qualified personal trainers and nutritionists so I am happy to listen to different perspectives. I don't think anyone is using it as a 'look at me' thread. It's just a discussion. "

Excuse me it was a"look at me"comment from me, i am the biggest sycophant on here

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/07/16 17:48:48]

over a year ago

It is not too late, it is all about doing lots of cardio and sit ups, 4 sets x 15 reps 4 times a week, whilst having lots of patience. I would suggest carb cycling which will go through any plateau, do this for 2 weeks, after a high carb day you should have a low then medium, here is a good example on youtube how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrgbrAODibw

Nutrition is the key to get a 6pack. I use carb cycling as well and use myfitnesspal to track the macros

over a year ago

OP let us know how you get on and good luck

over a year ago

I started doing yoga about 6 weeks ago...

its beginning to make an improvement, on both my tummy and my 'bingo wings', so I'm going to stick at it...

apparently you are never too old to start which is a good job as I'm 51

Post new Message to Thread