Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Fireman Samgate

Jump to newest

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Can someone explain to me, how this has offended people?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36900310

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *asokittyWoman
over a year ago

Nr Worksop

There will always be someone offended by something.

And I imagine it's someone taking offence on others behalf too!

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

In a statement, Mattel said: "The page was intended to show illegible text and we deeply regret this error.

"We sincerely apologise for any distress or offence it may have caused."

...there's some nervous people out there. Be afraid, be very afraid

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Can someone explain to me, how this has offended people?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36900310"

In Islam the Koran, as the word of god, is to be treated with respect. Placing it on the floor is considered disrespectful. The same with ripping pages out.

You have to wonder at what the animators were thinking?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

In Islam the Koran, as the word of god, is to be treated with respect. Placing it on the floor is considered disrespectful. The same with ripping pages out.

"

This.

And to top it off not only did the page that does look like a page from the Koran get placed on the floor, someone stood on it as well.

It's not offensive to me but I can see why it might upset the followers of that religion although it would be interesting to see how fleeting the shot was in real life.

By *erdita Von TeaseWoman
over a year ago

nottingham

Oh ffs! The worlds gone bonkers

over a year ago

In a society where one is always treading on eggshells it does make you wonder how this particular text was the one they decided to include in the episode. Of all the texts they could have chosen it can't be anything BUT a conscious decision surely?

over a year ago

"In a society where one is always treading on eggshells it does make you wonder how this particular text was the one they decided to include in the episode. Of all the texts they could have chosen it can't be anything BUT a conscious decision surely? "

If it was, it's being blamed on the animation company for inserting it.

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

"Oh ffs! The worlds gone bonkers"

Agreed

over a year ago

"

...look on the bright side..at least the y didn't enter a mosque, slit an iman's throat, and video the whole thing...

By *erdita Von TeaseWoman
over a year ago

nottingham

...look on the bright side..at least the y didn't enter a mosque, slit an iman's throat, and video the whole thing..."

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

...look on the bright side..at least the y didn't enter a mosque, slit an iman's throat, and video the whole thing..."

Except that was done by extremists and not Muslims. The sooner we distance the 2 groups the better.

over a year ago

...look on the bright side..at least the y didn't enter a mosque, slit an iman's throat, and video the whole thing...

Except that was done by extremists and not Muslims. The sooner we distance the 2 groups the better. "

...my point exactly. ..no one was outraged by the fireman sam thing...except extremists.

over a year ago

Except that was done by extremists and not Muslims. The sooner we distance the 2 groups the better. "

Massively agree

But.... the over sensitivity shown on these matters do not actually help anyone. The episode was originally aired in 2014 ffs!! I truly despair at the way common sense is so readily abandoned so folk can express some perceived righteous indignation! Aaaargh!!!

Feeling better for expressing my righteous indignation and over sensitivity

over a year ago

"

Or was it Muslim extremists? I look on it like a Venn diagram, the overwhelming majority of Muslims sit firmly in the 'Muslim only' area but a small minority sit in the area of intersection between Muslims and Extremists.

Of course for balance similar Venn diagrams also exist for other faiths not least Christianity so this is most certainly not a Muslim only problem

By *al2001Man
over a year ago

kildare

Hmmmm of all the books in all the world to use

In what country was it animated?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

does seem a bit strange that no one looked at it and thought that it may have the potential to offend..

common sense not used..

equally were it to have been any other religious text it would be perceived by some in that faith as offensive..

over a year ago

Let's remember that if this was a Muslim disrespecting the bible in a similar way, there would be plenty of people in Britain ring offended

over a year ago

What place has any religious book got in a bloody kids program.

Absolutely no place for it

By *ristol_MTB_cplCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Animators are all computer geeks and love to put in hidden Easter eggs in their work. My guess would be one guy thought this would be funny, so slotted it in, no one else noticed at the time (why would you)

By *eMontresMan
over a year ago

Halesowen

Having watched it several times, the piece that Elvis stood on was blank or face down, so there is no way of knowing what, if anything was on the reverse side.

There is a very brief shot of a sheet flying through the air, that bears a pictographic similarity to a page from the Koran, but this page was not shown as having been stood on.

No doubt an easter egg by the animator, they do this sort of stuff all the time. Ill advised at best, possibly mischievous, perhaps a deliberate plant to be "discovered" at a later date?

Post new Message to Thread