Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How the mighty have fallen

Jump to newest

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

I remember logging onto my AOL account to check my Yahoo email. Now both of these are owned by a phone company.

What major site, that you used to its no longer with us?

I would Ask Jeeves, but I can't be arsed

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Newcastle United premier league ticket office.

By *all and ChainWoman
over a year ago

Truro

Date from the BBS days here, way before there was an internet.... then fidonet then compuserve and so on....

Remember when 1200 baud was improbably fast and improbably expensive (eg the modem was more than a 4k 60" telly in todays money)

800 quid a quarter phone bills even doing off peak connections.

Miss it? Not that much...lol

over a year ago

Friends reunited. Spent hours nosing about on there back in the pre-Facebook era!

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

I remember illegally downloading music on Napster and posting gifs on MySpace....

And wanking on yahoo chat

By *GHertsCouple
over a year ago

North Herts

Me and MsG met through the dating pages on Excite.com...dunno what became of that site but it had some decent pre-Facebook type groups.

Mr G

over a year ago

MSN Chat

over a year ago

yeah MSN messenger was the biggest shocker

i set mines up same time i did my first ever email account back in the day. Hotmails gone too now but still have my original email

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Me and MsG met through the dating pages on Excite.com...dunno what became of that site but it had some decent pre-Facebook type groups.

Mr G"

Excite is now ask.com. But the most interesting story regarding them, is that......

In 1999, Larry Page and Sergey Brin offered to sell their search engine to them for $750,000, as it was interfering with their studies, and they said no! I wonder what ever happened to Google?

By *esmond and Molly JonesCouple
over a year ago

Watford

"Date from the BBS days here, way before there was an internet.... then fidonet then compuserve and so on....

Remember when 1200 baud was improbably fast and improbably expensive (eg the modem was more than a 4k 60" telly in todays money)

Miss it? Not that much...lol"

Aah, them we're the days! I remember the squeal of the modem and logging on to bbs's to see what files had been uploaded and getting messages. I had about 10 bulletin boards I'd dial up! Makes us sound like dinosaurs lol

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Alta vista anyone?

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Date from the BBS days here, way before there was an internet.... then fidonet then compuserve and so on....

Aah, them we're the days! I remember the squeal of the modem and logging on to bbs's to see what files had been uploaded and getting messages. I had about 10 bulletin boards I'd dial up! Makes us sound like dinosaurs lol "

Because of this post, I decided to download the modem sound and use it as my ringtone

over a year ago

IRC

Compuserve

Bulletin Board Services

By *hemonkeyheadMan
over a year ago

Reading

nokia. once mighty, now a shell of their former selves. trashed and scattered unto the shores of obsolescence. gutted by microsoft, like vultures on a rotting festering carcass, put out of its misery way too late. the remains of its mobile phone business now not worth the toilet paper nokia once made many many years ago. too slow to react to newer technology, by the time it finally made a move it was too late. like a deer trapped in the headlights of an oncoming big rig, it could do nothing but stand there, watching as its life flashes before its... camera aperture?

before i would covet a nokia device. now, i wouldn't feed one to my shredder.

and windows phone - oh god windows phone. i gave it chance after chance and at every turn it fucked up. fucked up badly. first to have a nokia 800 - felt like ti was their turning point. only to be tossed aside when windows phone 8 came out. unsupported by a phone barely 18 months old. and from there their fate was sealed. 1 good handset out of a sea of utter turds isn't enough to save anybody.

i mean, i've never owned a phone that crashed and froze out of the fucking box harder than the nokia 950. absolute cack.

By *all and ChainWoman
over a year ago

Truro

"

Aah, them we're the days! I remember the squeal of the modem and logging on to bbs's to see what files had been uploaded and getting messages. I had about 10 bulletin boards I'd dial up! Makes us sound like dinosaurs lol "

... and you could tell what the modem was doing just by listening to it, ditto the hard disk clicking away.

you may like "BBS the documentary" in 8 parts, you can find it on youtube

over a year ago

I've been to bed since then

over a year ago

"Friends reunited. Spent hours nosing about on there back in the pre-Facebook era!"

It sounds silly but I was genuinely sad when it closed - my first real experience of social media and my first chance to catch up with old school friends after all those years!

Give me Friends Reunited over Fakebook any day of the week

By *emplarWarriorMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

Aah, them we're the days! I remember the squeal of the modem and logging on to bbs's to see what files had been uploaded and getting messages. I had about 10 bulletin boards I'd dial up! Makes us sound like dinosaurs lol

Because of this post, I decided to download the modem sound and use it as my ringtone "

Yeah people who download ring tones, how old is that......

over a year ago

"MSN Chat "

Truly old school... How I miss it

over a year ago

Floppy disks lol

over a year ago

Furbies. I used to have loads of the buggers on my dashboard setting them all off at the same time, I used to piss myself laughing at them

over a year ago

I still use my original aol email for most non-work things. It was easier since so many of my friends knew that way of getting in contact with me.

People must think I'm aweful with technology when I tell them my email address.

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"I still use my original aol email for most non-work things. It was easier since so many of my friends knew that way of getting in contact with me.

People must think I'm aweful with technology when I tell them my email address. "

I've been using my yahoo address for over 10 years

over a year ago

ICQ chat rooms. And I miss Joanna Lumley's voice telling me that I had mail. Then my mum's disembodied voice telling me to get off the sodding phone line so she could make a call

By *eliz NelsonMan
over a year ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

"ICQ chat rooms. And I miss Joanna Lumley's voice telling me that I had mail. Then my mum's disembodied voice telling me to get off the sodding phone line so she could make a call "

By *herbert fountainWoman
over a year ago

Hanley

"yeah MSN messenger was the biggest shocker

i set mines up same time i did my first ever email account back in the day. Hotmails gone too now but still have my original email"

I still have my original email too. And hubby and I met in an MSN chat room 15 years ago

Post new Message to Thread