Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Midgy Bites

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Went to wales on the weekend and was feasted on by the little blood suckers. I am ellergic to them so blow up. Anyone else have the sane issue? Any suggestions on helping with aftercare or prevention?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Recently used Avon Skin So Soft spray on a holiday to France and hardly got bitten at all. Last year had lots of bites so it was great

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Prevention....eat marmite

Treating them....im sure I've read somewhere about rubbing cut edges of tomatoes on them.

By *mooth tongue 4uMan
over a year ago

edinburgh

Best remedy for them is a product called .... Skin so soft by Avon ,,,,, works a treat

By *aucy tiggerWoman
over a year ago

Back where I belong

I'm allergic to and usually finish up on antibiotics - the itching drives me crazy xx

over a year ago

Go to the Costa del Sol instead

over a year ago

evesham

Scrub the tomato....it wasn't for bites!

Apparently bathing in a warm bath with Apple cider vinegar works, also cut onions, lemon, garlic. Puy the last 3 on the skin, not in the bath

over a year ago

Wire brush the bites then a salt rub on them and wash the salt of with vinegar. Works perfect.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Scrub the tomato....it wasn't for bites!

Apparently bathing in a warm bath with Apple cider vinegar works, also cut onions, lemon, garlic. Puy the last 3 on the skin, not in the bath "

I am already covered in Tomato pure!!!

over a year ago

evesham

Apparently bathing in a warm bath with Apple cider vinegar works, also cut onions, lemon, garlic. Puy the last 3 on the skin, not in the bath

I am already covered in Tomato pure!!! "

Well as it was my misdirection that caused you to be so.....Shall I offer to come and lick it off for you

over a year ago

Apparently bathing in a warm bath with Apple cider vinegar works, also cut onions, lemon, garlic. Puy the last 3 on the skin, not in the bath "

Evie are you trying to make this poor lad into a soup skin so soft by Avon as mentioned a few times above always works for us too

over a year ago

evesham

Apparently bathing in a warm bath with Apple cider vinegar works, also cut onions, lemon, garlic. Puy the last 3 on the skin, not in the bath Evie are you trying to make this poor lad into a soup skin so soft by Avon as mentioned a few times above always works for us too"

Trying to make him as tasty as he looks

over a year ago

"Went to wales on the weekend and was feasted on by the little blood suckers. I am ellergic to them so blow up. Anyone else have the sane issue? Any suggestions on helping with aftercare or prevention?"

.It all depends on area location, some places are far worse than others

when we are out stalking (shooting deer) we use "Tabard" which contains deet, or if available I also sometimes use "Lifesystem Expedition Plus 100+" both contain deet and will prevent against ticks too and they don't produce a smell that deer can pick up at 200 yards.

skin so soft makes you stink like a poof and leaves your skin feeling very greasy, smidge the midge may/may not work but has a smell that deer pick up on.

If you travel up north of Inverness around Torridon - nothing will protect you bar a midge net

When you are looking for a repellent make sure you find one that repels "ticks" as well and remember a midge bite is annoying and will make you itch but a tick bite can leave you with an incurable disease that will trouble you a lifetime.

you have to weigh up the pro's and cons of wearing a repellent containing deet

over a year ago

Apparently bathing in a warm bath with Apple cider vinegar works, also cut onions, lemon, garlic. Puy the last 3 on the skin, not in the bath Evie are you trying to make this poor lad into a soup skin so soft by Avon as mentioned a few times above always works for us too

Trying to make him as tasty as he looks "

xx

By *ong legs n LingeireWoman
over a year ago

it up to me neck. :-)

I'm off to Madagascar on weds and have been worried about mossie bites.

Skin so soft spray, cream has been suggested loads of times.

Also. A way of taking the itch out of a bite is to warm a spoon in hot water and put on the bite. Apparently it draws out the protein and stops the itch.

Not sure if either work but happy to try. X

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Went to wales on the weekend and was feasted on by the little blood suckers. I am ellergic to them so blow up. Anyone else have the sane issue? Any suggestions on helping with aftercare or prevention?

.It all depends on area location, some places are far worse than others

when we are out stalking (shooting deer) we use "Tabard" which contains deet, or if available I also sometimes use "Lifesystem Expedition Plus 100+" both contain deet and will prevent against ticks too and they don't produce a smell that deer can pick up at 200 yards.

skin so soft makes you stink like a poof and leaves your skin feeling very greasy, smidge the midge may/may not work but has a smell that deer pick up on.

If you travel up north of Inverness around Torridon - nothing will protect you bar a midge net

When you are looking for a repellent make sure you find one that repels "ticks" as well and remember a midge bite is annoying and will make you itch but a tick bite can leave you with an incurable disease that will trouble you a lifetime.

you have to weigh up the pro's and cons of wearing a repellent containing deet

"

When do they go on holiday or something?

The midge not the deer

over a year ago

Its all part and parcel of being and out doors walkie chap.

Midge repellent is good if it has deet in it .

Also take some.antihistamine that helps .

I get bitten on a daily basis , I must taste good

over a year ago

"Its all part and parcel of being and out doors walkie chap.

I get bitten on a daily basis , I must taste good "

I can imagine that you do

over a year ago

I can imagine that you do "

2 G&T's and a Taff to share Mrs D?

over a year ago

I can imagine that you do

2 G&T's and a Taff to share Mrs D?

"

Deal Mrs McG

over a year ago

Antihistamines.. Non drowsy ones if you are driving.

over a year ago

Pee on them, works every time

over a year ago

They must be bad this year, I've been bitten a few times and that never happens here, only on holidays abroad.

You could nuke the bites with TCP. My gramp recommended TCP for everything

over a year ago

Use ulcer gel. It numbs the area and stops the itching. Oragel is great!

By *oredbusinessmanMan
over a year ago

Downham Market

"Pee on them, works every time "

Kinky! Lol

By *oredbusinessmanMan
over a year ago

Downham Market

"Use ulcer gel. It numbs the area and stops the itching. Oragel is great! "

Going to try this!!!

By *0tt0nSu3Woman
over a year ago

London

"Went to wales on the weekend and was feasted on by the little blood suckers. I am ellergic to them so blow up. Anyone else have the sane issue? Any suggestions on helping with aftercare or prevention?"

Skin so soft kind of works for me, but not totally.

Other things are more effective for me.

Up your vitamin B at least a fortnight before and keep taking throughout your holiday. Brewers yeast is good but you have to take a lot. I ran out of them about a week into my holiday and four days after that I was eaten alive. I should've taken some marmite!

If you do get bitten and it itches get some cheapo spray deodorant. The spraying action cools the skin and soothes the itching. Or canesten cream is good too. In both cases make sure the skin is not broken.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

just try eatin thinly spread mamrmite toast for a few days before and during any planned visit to areas you expect swarms of the them . you will secrete it in your sweat witch they dislike so they will leave to alone

works for me

over a year ago

Something with deet in it. I get eaten alive by midgies and mossies but repellent with deet helps.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I am never bitten cos ' I like eating a banana like it's a cock' .....

over a year ago

"Use ulcer gel. It numbs the area and stops the itching. Oragel is great!

Going to try this!!!"

It works brilliantly!

over a year ago

Use a Deet based repellent to prevent them and if you do get bitten use tea tree oil or apple cider vinegar on the bites.

over a year ago

I have been bitten very badly this year becauase of my physio walking. I am sprayed with anti mossie etc stuff but still got bitten. Nothing has worked to stop the itch. They are itching so bad and are now the size of saucer at least and i have scratched them so much i have massive bruises too

over a year ago

much to my suprise, the marmite thing really worked...and as has been said,cider vinegar is good for taking away the itch if u have been bitten

over a year ago

I have just tried the hot spoon thing ... not sure if its worked yet !!!

over a year ago

Itching again already

Hot spoon remedy don't work

over a year ago

I've got a horse and the evil flies are out in force at the moment. When we go out i spray her with Citronella and then do myself as well...seems to keep most away. I also have a wristband that releases the scent too.

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

im allergic to bites and stings..and im allergic to antihistamines that treat them..ive tried most things.

prevention..citronella oil but it does stink

mozzie nets to sleep in ( tuck in all the way round) red ants though..i run..i cant afford to be a michelin man for three weeks...i have empathy with you on this one x

By *herbert fountainWoman
over a year ago

Hanley

I have the same problem. Allergic to the bites and hypersensitive to antihistamines. A doctor abroad prescribed cortisone cream to be applied straight away to the bites. For me it stopped them from turning into blisters that then ended up scarring.

over a year ago

I have tht problem with various bites, antihistamine cream like anthisan or similar and oral antihistamines help take away the itch and swelling usually goes down after a couple of days.

over a year ago

"I have tht problem with various bites, antihistamine cream like anthisan or similar and oral antihistamines help take away the itch and swelling usually goes down after a couple of days. "

I have bought that cream and put it in about 30 mins ago ... all thats happened so far is that its itching more

I have had them a week now and am very fed up

Post new Message to Thread