Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Russia in the Olympics

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Despite all the evidence supporting state sponsored drug taking and indications that they would be banned from the Olympics, the IOC has said they can compete. So who else thinks the IOC members have had a chat from some of Putins special advisors????

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I think this is a really difficult one. Banning a whole country from every sport is a big move and at this fractured time in our world history I wonder how much it was diplomacy from other countries rather than Russian threats?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

They have dodged it!

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

The only difference between the Russia and 90% of other nations is they got found out.

I am sure this country is no different we just have better drugs

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

And with all the competitors pulling out over the zika virus, this games is going to need all the competitors it can get..

Of course the Russian athletes will be subject to far greater scrutiny and far stricter testing..

For me, it was the right move.. Not all Russian athletes are cheats.

over a year ago

"I think this is a really difficult one. Banning a whole country from every sport is a big move and at this fractured time in our world history I wonder how much it was diplomacy from other countries rather than Russian threats?

"

Definitely some back room democracy deals going on.

By *ficouldMan
over a year ago

a quandary, could you change my mind?

Russia not being banned makes a complete mockery of the anti drug policy!

So it would be ok to just ban one person or event from taking part if they are found to be taking drugs... But mass drug taking is OK...

It is laughable, sends the wrong message to everyone I believe.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Russia not being banned makes a complete mockery of the anti drug policy!

So it would be ok to just ban one person or event from taking part if they are found to be taking drugs... But mass drug taking is OK...

It is laughable, sends the wrong message to everyone I believe. "

There isn't proof that EVERY Russian has been doping. It's not a great message but banning a whole country is a huge step and I don't think it's one that the IOC could take at this time.

By *ohnaronMan
over a year ago

london

Just ban the shot putters

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I'm torn.....it does seem unfair to ban a whole country of athletes due to the actions their government over doping but how else do you show that state funding doping is a serious issue and one which all sports should be addressing?

Individual sporting bodies have the right to ban athletes from taking part but given that the Ioc have taken action will the have the balls to?

Can athletes still enter as independents if their country is in the Olympics? If I were a clean athlete from Russia I think I would yryto distance myself from this ahead of the games.

over a year ago

"The only difference between the Russia and 90% of other nations is they got found out.

I am sure this country is no different we just have better drugs"

That's a very poor thing to say when you have no evidence for better drugs etc.

over a year ago

Think it was a cop out. They should have banned all Russian athletes for the games to have any real integrity.

The backlash when Russian samples at 2016 are retrospectively re-tested in future to show synthetic substances

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS
over a year ago

London&Dublin

I think Russia is targeted mainly for political reasons.

A blanket ban for all of the athletes of that country is unfair.

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

Money speaks volumes ... enuf said ...

over a year ago

Whilst I don't doubt there is a political element to it, it appears obvious that the drug scandal was wide spread, with knowledge of the officials and minister of sport.

There were rumours of a country, I can't remember if it was Russia or China, where if you didn't agree to be part of their drug program they wouldn't pick you for tournaments.

It's wholesale and wide spread and needs eradicating from sport IMO. The IOC had a chance to make a huge statement and they flopped their lines

over a year ago

As a lover of sport I find it awful that everytime I see a wonderful performance from an athlete from any country I wonder "are they".

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

The suggested boycott of Sochi because of homophobic persecution didn't happen either.

It's too big a deal.

over a year ago

5 Russian Canoeists banned from Rio after failed tests

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Rootin'-tootin'-tiger-shootin'-Putin?

over a year ago

Why is it called doping. I thought Dopey was a sleepy dwarf in snow white. How can making someone sleepy improve their performance. I I I just don't understand the term.

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS
over a year ago

London&Dublin

I dont argue the issue of a possible state run doping in Russia but I always take sports as a level playing field.

There are so many who are not caught and yet doped.

At the moment, those who are not caught has to be considered clean and therefore shouldn't be punished.

And allowing someone who has confirmed failed doping twice to compete make a mockery of it all (a certain sprinter potentially of toppling Bolt).

Post new Message to Thread