Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Travelling light

Jump to newest

By *B9 Queen OP   Woman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

We'll finished my packing. Off to Italy but travelling to different cities so we've decided to go with just hand luggage. There's 3 of us - all women and we've all managed to pack everything we need for a week in less than 10 kgs. In fact we've averaged 7kg a piece.

If you had that as a limit what essential thing would you have to take?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Clean pants, a few tops, shorts, deodorant and toothpaste / toothbrush etc and the jobs a good un .. Everything else (like toiletries etc) you can buy there

Have fun! I bet it'll be carnage 3 girls together in the sun!

over a year ago

I usually only take hand luggage when I go on holiday, no matter how long the trip is or how many places.

I have a few very light weight pants and crop tops that I take and one or two small dresses

Add some undies, my tooth brush and paste, my wallet, and a kindle, and everything else is just fluff.

By *B9 Queen OP   Woman
over a year ago

Well obviously clothing and minimal toiletries (just enough for the first night then we'll buy stuff).

But one essential is my phone which has all my bookings on it (though we've got paper copies too), sat nav to find bus and train stations, and maps to find tourist spots and restaurants. It also has music, films and books loaded on it just in case (though there may be little chance). And it will be my camera and camcorder.

Not to mention its uses as an actual phone.

By *B9 Queen OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Clean pants, a few tops, shorts, deodorant and toothpaste / toothbrush etc and the jobs a good un .. Everything else (like toiletries etc) you can buy there

Have fun! I bet it'll be carnage 3 girls together in the sun! "

Hm hardly girls. I'm 53, my friend is 66 and my daughter is 34. It's also not a beach holiday. We're going to Pisa, Florence and Rome.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Please can you tell me how you did that?!

I can't go away for the weekend without at least five pairs of shoes and a just in case outfit!

By *onbons_xxMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"Well obviously clothing and minimal toiletries (just enough for the first night then we'll buy stuff).

But one essential is my phone which has all my bookings on it (though we've got paper copies too), sat nav to find bus and train stations, and maps to find tourist spots and restaurants. It also has music, films and books loaded on it just in case (though there may be little chance). And it will be my camera and camcorder.

Not to mention its uses as an actual phone. "

Sounds good...i'd recommend one of those portable chargers in case your stuck for a plug at some point. You may have that covered already though

By *eeeee7Woman
over a year ago

over yonder

"Clean pants, a few tops, shorts, deodorant and toothpaste / toothbrush etc and the jobs a good un .. Everything else (like toiletries etc) you can buy there

Have fun! I bet it'll be carnage 3 girls together in the sun!

Hm hardly girls. I'm 53, my friend is 66 and my daughter is 34. It's also not a beach holiday. We're going to Pisa, Florence and Rome. "

if youre going to rome, remember if youre visiting the Vatican, shoulders and knees must be covered to go inside the cistine chapel and other churches.

By *eliz NelsonMan
over a year ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

Travelling around Greece many moons back, was in airport queue in front on a man from Glasgow...he was only wearing a pair of shorts and had a push bike and a very small bag on handlebars.... I asked him where his luggage was?

He pointed to small bag on handlebars!

Its in there! ''av got a spare pair of underpants!''

over a year ago

I can't travel light. I change my socks and boxers - 2 maybe 3 times a day.

Don't even get me started with trainers

By *B9 Queen OP   Woman
over a year ago

"

I can't go away for the weekend without at least five pairs of shoes and a just in case outfit! "

Well no heels as we're walking around cities which are mostly cobbled. I've been to Rome before and unless you get a good pair of walking sandals then you'll end up with blisters (as I know to my cost). I've got a pair of Merrell closed toe walking sandals which are great. The only other pair are butterfly twists - light weight folding shoes which are lovely. Mine are navy pony hair with some bling on the front to dress up an outfit for the evening.

I've got funky tunic/dresses in light material with two pairs of cropped leggings to create a variety of outfits. A vest, two t-shirts, a thin skirt in tshirty material and one cardi. The trick is to pick one colour palette. I've got blue and white. So everything is mix and match. I reckon I could do two weeks with it almost and not wear the same outfit more than twice. I've also taken a travel towel which just folds into a tiny square though it's bath sheet size unfolded. Minimum make up.

I'll buy suncream etc there due to the 100ml rule at airports.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"

I can't go away for the weekend without at least five pairs of shoes and a just in case outfit!

Well no heels as we're walking around cities which are mostly cobbled. I've been to Rome before and unless you get a good pair of walking sandals then you'll end up with blisters (as I know to my cost). I've got a pair of Merrell closed toe walking sandals which are great. The only other pair are butterfly twists - light weight folding shoes which are lovely. Mine are navy pony hair with some bling on the front to dress up an outfit for the evening.

I've got funky tunic/dresses in light material with two pairs of cropped leggings to create a variety of outfits. A vest, two t-shirts, a thin skirt in tshirty material and one cardi. The trick is to pick one colour palette. I've got blue and white. So everything is mix and match. I reckon I could do two weeks with it almost and not wear the same outfit more than twice. I've also taken a travel towel which just folds into a tiny square though it's bath sheet size unfolded. Minimum make up.

I'll buy suncream etc there due to the 100ml rule at airports."

I need to get better at that shit!!

By *B9 Queen OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I usually only take hand luggage when I go on holiday, no matter how long the trip is or how many places.

I have a few very light weight pants and crop tops that I take and one or two small dresses

Add some undies, my tooth brush and paste, my wallet, and a kindle, and everything else is just fluff."

I've got kindle on my phone. It's a Samsung note 4 so plenty big enough for that.

over a year ago

"We'll finished my packing. Off to Italy but travelling to different cities so we've decided to go with just hand luggage. There's 3 of us - all women and we've all managed to pack everything we need for a week in less than 10 kgs. In fact we've averaged 7kg a piece.

If you had that as a limit what essential thing would you have to take? "

I take it no knickers required

over a year ago

Notorious amongst those who know me for ALWAYS forgetting something when I pack. Usually knickers.

over a year ago

"Notorious amongst those who know me for ALWAYS forgetting something when I pack. Usually knickers. "

But you never pack light. Funny that.

By *B9 Queen OP   Woman
over a year ago

"We'll finished my packing. Off to Italy but travelling to different cities so we've decided to go with just hand luggage. There's 3 of us - all women and we've all managed to pack everything we need for a week in less than 10 kgs. In fact we've averaged 7kg a piece.

If you had that as a limit what essential thing would you have to take?

I take it no knickers required "

Unfortunately there will be knickers especially since one of our trips includes the Vatican.

over a year ago

"Notorious amongst those who know me for ALWAYS forgetting something when I pack. Usually knickers.

But you never pack light. Funny that. "

It's the shoe options, they take up lots of space. (That and transporting SOMEONE's rope collection the length and breadth of the country).

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I'm currently in Zante & we had 15kg hold luggage each but managed less than 10kg each. That included shoes & toiletries. I was very impressed with myself!!

Have a wonderful time in Italy xx

over a year ago

"Notorious amongst those who know me for ALWAYS forgetting something when I pack. Usually knickers.

It's the shoe options, they take up lots of space. (That and transporting SOMEONE's rope collection the length and breadth of the country). "

Camera and tripod. Array of toys. I could go on.

over a year ago

It's the shoe options, they take up lots of space. (That and transporting SOMEONE's rope collection the length and breadth of the country).

Camera and tripod. Array of toys. I could go on. "

Disco ball

By *B9 Queen OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I'm currently in Zante & we had 15kg hold luggage each but managed less than 10kg each. That included shoes & toiletries. I was very impressed with myself!!

Have a wonderful time in Italy xx"

Thanks. Zantes great. An old friend of mine lives there so I stayed with her. Needed very little luggage. I could wash stuff at hers if I needed to.

Mind you when I go for a month to another friend's in Oz I take three cases!!

It's one extreme or the other with me!

Post new Message to Thread