Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

First Aid Awareness

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Maybe not the place to post this , but something happened recently & made me think !

First Aid courses ... What a wonderful course to attend - you could save a life & make a difference. I for one will be attending one now ... & I'm chatting to my son - so children ( secondary age are more aware ) even a little read up on how to help in heart attack & strokes situations could make a difference to somebody's life. I'm just asking you to have a think ... Life is precious.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

So true. I recently became an organ donor. Don't know why i waited so long

over a year ago

Good shout Miss B! I learned CPR last years and my Cubs know exactly what to do if they are ever in the situation where they need to call for help

over a year ago

I totally agree with you, I think everyone would benefit from attending one

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

i am sure i did first aid at school. have done it throughout my working life and have sadly had to use CPR on a gentleman in real life although i have no idea if he survived or not

over a year ago

When you think the most common accidents at home usually involve falling, burning & choking,staying calm & knowing how to help can make a massive difference to the outcome.

over a year ago

Ive been firstaid trained and refreshed for the last 20 years through scouting and work. I have been lucky that ive never had to use it for anything serious.

over a year ago

"So true. I recently became an organ donor. Don't know why i waited so long "

I think that's a great thing to do .... I'm chatting to my oldest about raising awareness of first aid & organ donor at schools...

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

A couple of schools I know make all year 10 students attend.

I found it really useful.

over a year ago

Thank you all for commenting , I feel the need to raise this awareness...

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Carried out CPR several times and whilst by itself it doesn't have a high success rate its better than doing nothing, should be taught in secondary schools as a 'life skill'..

with the pressures on the Ambulance services only likely to worsen such skills are more relevant and required locally..

By *onbons_xxMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Agree on its importance. Something I'm involved a lot in at work and the complacency from colleagues is quite frightening.

Work pressures at our place are increasing the need for first aid intervention, just as an initial step and people still feel that it's not their responsibility

over a year ago

"A couple of schools I know make all year 10 students attend.

"

I think that's s great idea & I want to get involved so all schools offer this.

over a year ago

The resuscitation council website has some really good resources for both the general public and health professionals. Introducing First Aid into the national curriculum (I know some schools touch on it) would be a good starting point, but people need to keep up to date with changes. You never know when you maybe needed to use those vital life skills.

over a year ago

I never thought about it till after my mother had her stroke. Then I was approached at the hospital by a member of staff who advised me to consider looking into it as I was going to be my mothers carer. So pleased I did it as it has come in useful a few times.

over a year ago

Instead of schools paying so much attention to teaching kids sport and French and other useless shite, they should be teaching First Aid, Basic fire fighting, how to act in an emergency situation and other life skills, as well as money management and similar stuff - knowledge which is actually needed after you leave school. I mean Algebra is fine and so are quadratic equations, logarithms tangents and cosines but I cannot recall using much of that after leaving the classroom in 1977. Ok I use Ohms Law sometimes but I learned that after I left school haha

over a year ago

With CPR something I will never get used to is feeling someone's ribs cave in. Just be aware of it. It's quite off putting and you have to just keep working through it.

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Abso agree with you. It is time and money well invested.

Mine is due for renewal.

Little reminder, the First Aid certificates are valid for 3 years.

;-)

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

" Abso agree with you. It is time and money well invested.

Mine is due for renewal.

Little reminder, the First Aid certificates are valid for 3 years.

;-)"

30 mins after I was issued with my first 1st aid certificate many years ago, I had to use it, as I was driving, I saw a man collapsing on the pavement with no other pedestrian around, I stop and had to use it... nerve wrecking

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

Donate blood as well as registering for organ donation.

My kids were taught Heartstart at school. I was a qualified life guard for over 20 years and also had first aid training through voluntary work. The certificates may only be valid for three years but the training stays with you.

I used to teach Rainbows at 5 and 6 years of age the recovery position.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I'm a qualified 1st aider and did some first aid a couple of years ago and the ambulance man said I'd saved the persons life. Id recommend anyone does a morning of 1st aid training, it gives you confidence, gets you out of the office and can save a life.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

I think that's s great idea & I want to get involved so all schools offer this."

St John Ambulance has a programme they offer to schools. Have a look at that programme and contact them about offering your help.

By *ammykingMan
over a year ago

Lisburn

First aid is always a good skill to know even if you never use it.

I recently got my Team medic's qualification and just the knowledge that I'm able to help people if they need it was a great feeling.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Instead of schools paying so much attention to teaching kids sport and French and other useless shite, they should be teaching First Aid, Basic fire fighting, how to act in an emergency situation and other life skills, as well as money management and similar stuff - knowledge which is actually needed after you leave school. I mean Algebra is fine and so are quadratic equations, logarithms tangents and cosines but I cannot recall using much of that after leaving the classroom in 1977. Ok I use Ohms Law sometimes but I learned that after I left school haha

"

Erm, those things are important for some roles and to deny children the chance to discover they are good at it seems a little odd.

The rest of the post is a whole other thread so I won't hijack this one further.

over a year ago

I think that's s great idea & I want to get involved so all schools offer this.

St John Ambulance has a programme they offer to schools. Have a look at that programme and contact them about offering your help.

"

Thank you so much iv just taken a look - looks like just the thing

over a year ago

I have Always taught my children what to do in an emergency situation and basic first aid but that comes with the job I do.

I would like to think they teach them it in school at a certain age but none of mine learnt any in school.

over a year ago

"Maybe not the place to post this , but something happened recently & made me think !

First Aid courses ... What a wonderful course to attend - you could save a life & make a difference. I for one will be attending one now ... & I'm chatting to my son - so children ( secondary age are more aware ) even a little read up on how to help in heart attack & strokes situations could make a difference to somebody's life. I'm just asking you to have a think ... Life is precious. "

In my line of work it's one of the minimum requirements, along with fire fighting and sea survival.

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

On a similar theme...do people tell their FBs/ swinging partner/ fuck meet about their significant medical conditions, such as asthma, diabetes, serious allergies etc?

Not the hottest of conversations, but if you had an asthma attack etc during a session, that knowledge could help them save your life...xxx

By *verage JosephMan
over a year ago

Grays & London

I've been trying to get 1st Aid courses taught in schools for years, but it's all down to cost & time.

The only schools that have accepted this are the private schools.

Your more likely to do CPR on a friend or family at home than in your place of work... But you'd be surprised that how many children think 911 is the number to call in a emergency!!!

(Oh if your wondering 999, 112 or 911 work on our mobiles due to this!)

By *verage JosephMan
over a year ago

Grays & London

"With CPR something I will never get used to is feeling someone's ribs cave in. Just be aware of it. It's quite off putting and you have to just keep working through it. "

They snap & crack. If they cave in then. Your pushing too hard! 5-6cm is the target 100-120 beats per minute

over a year ago

Did a biker down course recently and learned loads. Agree with other post should be taught at both primary and high school. I first learned cpr as part of swimming lessons don't know if that still teach it.

Myyoungest (17) is a certifed first aider as part of his college course. Passing the course counted to his qualification I believe.

over a year ago

"I've been trying to get 1st Aid courses taught in schools for years, but it's all down to cost & time.

The only schools that have accepted this are the private schools.

Your more likely to do CPR on a friend or family at home than in your place of work... But you'd be surprised that how many children think 911 is the number to call in a emergency!!!

(Oh if your wondering 999, 112 or 911 work on our mobiles due to this!)

"

I'm hoping the schools will at least look into this ... I'm sure most parents would like the choice for the child to learn first aid & contribute to the cost. And thank you

over a year ago

"Did a biker down course recently and learned loads. Agree with other post should be taught at both primary and high school. I first learned cpr as part of swimming lessons don't know if that still teach it.

Myyoungest (17) is a certifed first aider as part of his college course. Passing the course counted to his qualification I believe."

over a year ago

In Switzerland to obtain a driving license you need to pass a first aid course. When serving in the Army as most of my age (m) you have to pass through several first aid courses!! These can save lives not only in the Army but every where. My friends from Switzerland are amazed that for a driving license in the UK simple basics don't need to be learned.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I used to be in the sea cadets in my teenage years, the drum first aid into you so much. You need to know it to go up through the ranks, each rank you learn a bit more in depth than before.

Shame this can't be taught in schools.

By *rank n BettyCouple
over a year ago

Not meeting

I remember being taught as a brownie - I took my badge on the day of Live Aid. I've had refreshers everywhere I've worked but it lapsed about 5 years ago so need to look into it (I think work stopped paying).

I have been reading up on other areas lately though xx

JG x

Post new Message to Thread