Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Comic Relief - I just don't get it???

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

If I donate just £1 to comin relief they can save the eyesight of a child in Africa.

Why then is it going to cost me £2,100 to fix my eyesight over here?

And if £10 can feed a village for a week, why is our weekly shopping bill (for 2 adults and 1 small baby) over £60!!

(obviously this is tongue in cheek)

(but with a hint of sarcasm in it)

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"If I donate just £1 to comin relief they can save the eyesight of a child in Africa.

And if £10 can feed a village for a week, why is our weekly shopping bill (for 2 adults and 1 small baby) over

£60!!

"

Same reason as appeals ask you to donate £3 a month to help a donkey sanctuary and Save the Children/Red Cross only ask for £2 a month. Animals are held in better esteem than human lives.

over a year ago

I donate to the Red Cross on a monthly basis and that's all the charity I give. I don't think I've ever watched Comic Relief tbh.

over a year ago

i give to cancer research through my wages

and i also give to the heart foundation

apart from that i try not add to charities who ask me on the street

over a year ago

i like the walkers thing, buy their product and they will donate to the starving.

why not cut out the middle man and send them crisps

over a year ago

there are many many £1.00 donations go to aid the saving of a childs life,just as thwere are many many £10.00 donations to help feed a village.obviously charities know it is not feasible for most people to donate enough individually,but as a group,as a nation,we can certainly help alleviate the pain and sufferings of others

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"If I donate just £1 to comin relief they can save the eyesight of a child in Africa.

And if £10 can feed a village for a week, why is our weekly shopping bill (for 2 adults and 1 small baby) over £60!!

"

You can do a weekly shop for £60

over a year ago

And if £10 can feed a village for a week, why is our weekly shopping bill (for 2 adults and 1 small baby) over

£60!!

Same reason as appeals ask you to donate £3 a month to help a donkey sanctuary and Save the Children/Red Cross only ask for £2 a month. Animals are held in better esteem than human lives."

i always wondered why i had to give £3 a week to a dog charity when save the children only want that a month....i think i'd rather have one dog than 4 kids though to be fair.

must be to do with supply and demand?

over a year ago

You can do a weekly shop for £60 "

Some weeks, yeah. It's just topping up the freezer lol.

Usually have to a big one fortnightly though - and that's often £120+

over a year ago

................. "

The child's eyesight hasn't deteriorated through many years of self-abuse

over a year ago

Yes but how long has children in need, sports relief and red nose days has there been and theres still starving kids in africa and children dying of aids and drinking dirty water where does all the charity go.

over a year ago

"Yes but how long has children in need, sports relief and red nose days has there been and theres still starving kids in africa and children dying of aids and drinking dirty water where does all the charity go."

Its not just an overseas charity - it goes to good causes in this country too. Watch the appeal night you will see short films of where the money has gone to, then they repeat it in the forthcoming weeks after the appeal. These programmes show exactly where the money goes.

over a year ago

"Yes but how long has children in need, sports relief and red nose days has there been and theres still starving kids in africa and children dying of aids and drinking dirty water where does all the charity go.

Its not just an overseas charity - it goes to good causes in this country too. Watch the appeal night you will see short films of where the money has gone to, then they repeat it in the forthcoming weeks after the appeal. These programmes show exactly where the money goes. "

I have seen them and yes they pull at your heart strings but how much goes to the charities and how much goes to the governments. Makes you wonder.

over a year ago

"Yes but how long has children in need, sports relief and red nose days has there been and theres still starving kids in africa and children dying of aids and drinking dirty water where does all the charity go.

Its not just an overseas charity - it goes to good causes in this country too. Watch the appeal night you will see short films of where the money has gone to, then they repeat it in the forthcoming weeks after the appeal. These programmes show exactly where the money goes.

I have seen them and yes they pull at your heart strings but how much goes to the charities and how much goes to the governments. Makes you wonder."

I don't mean the VT to encourage you to give. I mean the results of where last years charity went to - they account the money for you. Most of the aid is distributed by the charity and they keep a close eye on it to prevent it going to wrong people. So you can see where our money goes.

over a year ago

We do a thing every year for comic relief get dressed up take buckets around the pubs in St Ives last year we made over £300 when people are pissed and happy they are generous x

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

you are obviously not shopping in Lidl then Wishy, apparently £6.74 will fill your freezer for a month

By *orestersCouple
over a year ago

The Forest

I know, I know, I know that this is tongue in cheek, but...........

£1 would buy a simple antibotic that will save a child's eyesight, because the conditions that can cause the problem just don't exist in the UK.

The staple diet of poor Africans is a maize porridge or local variation made with water and flavoured with whatever vegetables they're able to grow.

£10 would buy enough maize grain at local prices to feed many people.

over a year ago

"you are obviously not shopping in Lidl then Wishy, apparently £6.74 will fill your freezer for a month"

and with all those kids from Mr Cornish Male times is hard

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

I wouldn't know Jan - never been in that particular shop!! still have some standards, just not many of them left lol xx

over a year ago

Never been in either I an asda girl

By *uckoldandWifeCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

"I know, I know, I know that this is tongue in cheek, but...........

£1 would buy a simple antibotic that will save a child's eyesight, because the conditions that can cause the problem just don't exist in the UK.

The staple diet of poor Africans is a maize porridge or local variation made with water and flavoured with whatever vegetables they're able to grow.

£10 would buy enough maize grain at local prices to feed many people."

Well said

over a year ago

"

Christ, tell us where you get your shopping for 60 quid - it costs is half as much as that again and we don't have the small baby

over a year ago

"I know, I know, I know that this is tongue in cheek, but...........

£10 would buy enough maize grain at local prices to feed many people.

Well said "

Why send them aid, send them luggage instead, tell em to fookin move.

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

Id willingly dontate a few quid if it means keeping Lenny Henry off the telly!

The whole evening is a tired and boring affair..same ol same ol D list 'celebrities' in need of a bit of publicity and television time..

The original concept was great..it really needs a overhaul now though..

I would like to actually see some 'comedy' involved.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I think we should maybe have a telefon for Wishy and his family....times must be hard for him as he's constantly moaning about people costing him and his family money...

Strictly tongue in cheek of course!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

"

60 quid... you been shopping at Herrons again....

god i miss Kwik Save!!!!

Post new Message to Thread