Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

PC David Rathband to Sue Northmbria Police

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

It has just been announced today that David Rathband is to Sue Northumbria Poilice for 1 million pounds following the incident with Raoul Moat when he was shot and blinded.

Whilst I have every sympathy with Rathband and I cannot imagine the trauma he suffered following the attack, I am now becoming very tired of hearing his name in the press, particularly of hearing him moan.

Now he is to sue the police force because he feels that they are responsible for him being shot .....

How they are responsible I have no idea, but I think he needs to think himself bloody lucky that he is still alive, there are 2 North East soldiers who have just returned home - DEAD !

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I hope he gets the money or at least sufficient to equal his salary had he lived.

I don't know if there were negligence on the part of the police but if it were me and there was then I'd want recompense.

I don't know the ins n outs.

over a year ago

Had he lived ??? You've lost me there ... David Rathband did live, he's still alive and kicking and still working for the police, although he is now blind.

over a year ago

Don't police officers agree to put themselves in harm's way to serve and protect the public whenever they put on the uniform?

Compensate the guy for his injuries, sure, but for him to claim it due to negligence by the force is a slap in the face for the profession he professes to love.

Give him the money and fuck him off out of it - no victim support from the force's internal support unit either.

over a year ago

"Had he lived ??? You've lost me there ... David Rathband did live, he's still alive and kicking and still working for the police, although he is now blind.

"

Yeah sorry x Just re read what I wrote. I mean 'had he carried on working' ( silly cow ) Just his salary with a bit more for inflation. Not sure if comp is due and don't know what ins. he had.

over a year ago

Carried on working in his job before being shot.

over a year ago

I'm a strong believer in allowing the law courts decide these matters, this is a swinging forum, a forum that's populated with people from various backgrounds, beliefs and mindsets.

I don't believe that specifics should permitted, that said we all have and are entitled to post our individuality but not at the expense of others.

My own thoughts on this thread, there have been many families affected by this.

Possibly some may be here, fellow members.

I always think before I type, no dis respect to the forum originator

over a year ago

Whilst I havent followed the case in depth, the allegations from the police officer are that senior officers did not pass on vital information quickly enough to police officers "on the ground".

If there is any form of negligence found, then compensation should be paid.

Compensation for the loss of salary etc should be given too, and I believe it has.

And yeah Im sick of hearing about him moan too, young man, young family, good career, years of working life ahead, completely blind, never being able to see his wife and children ever again, cant even imagine the mental trauma of having a shotgun shoved in his face and shot point blank, yeah what the hells he got to moan at!

By *etitesaraTV/TS
over a year ago

rochdale

"Whilst I havent followed the case in depth, the allegations from the police officer are that senior officers did not pass on vital information quickly enough to police officers "on the ground".

If there is any form of negligence found, then compensation should be paid.

Compensation for the loss of salary etc should be given too, and I believe it has.

And yeah Im sick of hearing about him moan too, young man, young family, good career, years of working life ahead, completely blind, never being able to see his wife and children ever again, cant even imagine the mental trauma of having a shotgun shoved in his face and shot point blank, yeah what the hells he got to moan at!"

+1

over a year ago

"I'm a strong believer in allowing the law courts decide these matters, this is a swinging forum, a forum that's populated with people from various backgrounds, beliefs and mindsets.

I don't believe that specifics should permitted, that said we all have and are entitled to post our individuality but not at the expense of others.

I always think before I type, no dis respect to the forum originator"

The case will be well documented in the press which I assume has a far greater readership than this forum.

It's difficult therefore to see how it could be disrespectful to raise the issue here. People will comment if they wish - just as you chose to.

over a year ago

"I'm a strong believer in allowing the law courts decide these matters, this is a swinging forum, a forum that's populated with people from various backgrounds, beliefs and mindsets.

I always think before I type, no dis respect to the forum originator

The case will be well documented in the press which I assume has a far greater readership than this forum.

It's difficult therefore to see how it could be disrespectful to raise the issue here. People will comment if they wish - just as you chose to. "

I was thinking exactly the same thing myself, especially as it was the BBC News that first gave me the information. I just couldn't be arsed to reply to his post.

Thanks for saving me the effort

over a year ago

I can't believe police officers don't already have excellent death or injury in service benefits via their contracts of employment.

If this chap's argument is that his superior officers ought to have done more to warn him of the presence of an armed man are we to assume it'll be open to any civillian injured by an armed man to raise an action against the local force on the grounds they weren't warned in advance?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I always think before I type, no dis respect to the forum originator"

There is nothing wrong with the question or the post, and if we couldn't post about something just incase it has affected someone in their life the forums would be a very quiet place wouldn't it Bip.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I am with Redhot......there were lots of victims on that day, and I am sick of hearing about the man who happened to be in the way but lived.....sadly there were lots who didn't live.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I don't know if the Police have 'Rules of engagement' or official 'Tactical Procedures' in incidents like Raul Moat.

Certainly if they do have these rules or procedures and failed to meet them at a senior level then maybe legally he is entitled to compensation?

I suppose we won't know until more details come out in court or if they settle out of court (which would suggest there are and they have failed the officer)

It's difficult really without knowing all the details.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

PS he says he is sueing because the police on the ground didn't get warned that the gunman was gunning for police.....what would he have done if he had known? took a sickie? He would have still been on duty looking out for a gunman who had been shooting people for hours.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Ok, so what if official police procedures are that if there are tactical armed response squads in the area that unarmed officers are to be removed from harms way?

What I am saying is I don't know if that is the case....but I would like to think that if it was the case that the police command failed in their duty towards this officer then he would be within his rights to sue them for compensation.

over a year ago

None of us know the full facts of this matter, but if the employers were negligent and did not follow force procedure, then the officer has a right to sue. And he was unarmed.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Not a clue Jane....I am just commenting on what is being reported now...until any more info comes out thats all I can comment on.

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"

And he was unarmed. "

Most of the police are unarmed and I doubt he was the only officer that day to be out on patrol without a gun!

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

And he was unarmed.

Most of the police are unarmed and I doubt he was the only officer that day to be out on patrol without a gun! "

* nods *

over a year ago

Raol Moat wasn't the only criminal committing crimes during those few days. What were all the unarmed officers supposed to do, stay at home till Moat had been caught? There would have been a crimewave in Tyneside.

over a year ago

"Raol Moat wasn't the only criminal committing crimes during those few days. What were all the unarmed officers supposed to do, stay at home till Moat had been caught? There would have been a crimewave in Tyneside."

Business as usual then?

over a year ago

ooooooooooooooo biatch ..... meeeeeowww

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

I can feel i might get 1 point for this thread quite soon!

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

No chance, nowt wrong with it

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"No chance, nowt wrong with it"

Awwwww I don't mind waiting though!

over a year ago

My post has gone

over a year ago

"No chance, nowt wrong with it

Awwwww I don't mind waiting though! "

Too late ! Im flexing my fingers

Say sommat controversial ......

over a year ago

"Raol Moat wasn't the only criminal committing crimes during those few days. What were all the unarmed officers supposed to do, stay at home till Moat had been caught? There would have been a crimewave in Tyneside.

Business as usual then?"

I'm a southerner living up here with my Geordie-born wife. I don't know the local history of Newcastle as yet nor do I know which areas are more prone to crime than others. Ask me about Luton and I'll tell you exactly where not to go.

over a year ago

"My post has gone "

awwwwwwww what did it say ??

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"No chance, nowt wrong with it

Awwwww I don't mind waiting though!

Too late ! Im flexing my fingers

Say sommat controversial ......

1.....2.......3."

Quickest finger wins, it is then

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"My post has gone "

I only took one off that you deleted yourself I hope?

over a year ago

"My post has gone

awwwwwwww what did it say ?? "

well it didnt really say anything to be honest.

Yes its ok Rugby, I probably typed it then pressed the wrong key and it deleted, I havent got my glasses on, daft git that i am

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Phew !! thought I had cocked up then.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

Sadly a sign of the times we live in! He will get his payout one way or another. Either the police will assume he will get a payout and cut the losses incurred on a court case. Or perhaps the judges will award him enough money to look after himself so the money doesn't come out of the NHS budget if care is needed!

Should he get it? Imo, no! He is a police officer and as such he puts himself on the line day in, day out. As someone else said, would he have gone home if he had known there was a gunman on the loose?

Anyone else remember the case of the family, shot and killed whilst having a Bar-B-Que? Some had survived and could have been saved, but the police and ambuance service wouldn't go near in case the gunman was still about. Despite the fact that neighbours were tending to the wounded!!!

By paying out any amount, over and above what the police service workers are due in situations like this, we are openning the doors for every officer who has any arguement or fight or indeed any incident, to claim. That would bankrupt the police service and leave us all less safe.

Their choice to do the job, but they will get the backing of all the bleeding heart liberals!

over a year ago

I'm all for supporting employees in a situaton such as this, but the part of this particular case that really pisses me off is the way that Rathband has moaned and whined all at each opportunity the media have given him.

In reply to an earlier post which was bordering on sarcasm, yes he has a right to be bitter, of course he does, the poor sod has been shot, came very close to bleeding to death and is now blind. I don't think anyone reading this thread can even begin to imagine the devastation this incident will have caused to him and his family.

But within weeks of the shooting, after he came home from hospital, he was

A) Moaning about the level of disability money that the DWP had awarded him. In the article I read, the exact amounts he was receiving was the same as anyone else who was awarded the higher level of DLA

B) Next, a radio appearance saw him griping that the Police Federation was not giving him the level of support that he thought he deserved. We don't know what level of suport the Police federation had in fact given him, but what we do know is that Northumbria Police promised to do all they could to assist him in any way the were able, to continue his employment once he was well enough to return to work - We now know that he is back working for Northumbria Police

C) he is now intending to sue his employer - the hand that has assisted him and is now feeding him

Just to balance things up a little bit -how often do we hear soldiers, fireman or any other of the armed/emergency services complaining ??

Some of them cannot complain because they are dead. Once again, my heart goes out to Rathband and his family, but at least he is still alive and given that he came within a hairs breadth of death, in the great scheme of things he should count himself lucky

over a year ago

That ^ pretty much sums it up. Maybe you should send that letter to the newspapers.

over a year ago

"That ^ pretty much sums it up. Maybe you should send that letter to the newspapers."

*Nods in agreement*

Well said Red!

over a year ago

Ouch ..... I think death would have been a better option - for me that is. I can't speak for how he feels.

over a year ago

"I don't know if the Police have 'Rules of engagement' or official 'Tactical Procedures' in incidents like Raul Moat.

Certainly if they do have these rules or procedures and failed to meet them at a senior level then maybe legally he is entitled to compensation?

I suppose we won't know until more details come out in court or if they settle out of court (which would suggest there are and they have failed the officer)

It's difficult really without knowing all the details."

I asked my brother this. He would be a 'silver commander' in such circumstances. in his force at least, unarmed police would not be withdrawn. there would be tactical armed response units on the move and the local bobbies would be expected to be eyes and ears with strict instructions not to approach anyone.

its his opinion that the circumstances in which this officer was shot showed a certain naivete on behalf of the officer. my brother also has a problem with him being called a 'hero' by the media.

He said,to paraphrase Frank Serpico, 'is that for being a good cop or being stupid enough to get shot in the face'

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"I don't know if the Police have 'Rules of engagement' or official 'Tactical Procedures' in incidents like Raul Moat.

It's difficult really without knowing all the details.

I asked my brother this. He would be a 'silver commander' in such circumstances. in his force at least, unarmed police would not be withdrawn. there would be tactical armed response units on the move and the local bobbies would be expected to be eyes and ears with strict instructions not to approach anyone.

its his opinion that the circumstances in which this officer was shot showed a certain naivete on behalf of the officer. my brother also has a problem with him being called a 'hero' by the media.

He said,to paraphrase Frank Serpico, 'is that for being a good cop or being stupid enough to get shot in the face'"

Cheers Mar....I would guess that he probably hasn't got much of a case then.

over a year ago

well it seems the case rests on whether or not the top brass told officers that moat was targeting police officers or if that should even make a difference.

If a murderer is running around he's running around. regardless of who he's targeting. The police shouldn't expect special treatment for doing their job

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Can't really comment as I don't know how I would feel if I walked in his shoes...

Post new Message to Thread