Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

sacked by email!!!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

the M.O.D are totally out of order on this. if a man or woman has the gutts to sign on the dotted line and risk there lifes.

then at least have the balls to sit them down when they are home in the uk and explain the reasons... show them respect.

they ernt it!

dont treat them like cannon fodder!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

utterly disgraceful and disgusting that this has happened, regardless of the politics behind it, those serving should be treated like royalty and looked after during and after service. Instead an EMAIL!? wtf??

over a year ago

Same goes for any employer, not just the MOD.

over a year ago

Yes, let's all jump on the bandwagon and slam the govt for allowing this to happen eh?

Fact: The ARMY has stated that this mistake was down to their administative errors, not the govt., although the govt has apologised unreservedly and vowed that this will never happen again.

Normal procedure is for redundancy notices to be sent to the commanding officer who then tells the soldier face to face.

But I wonder how many of you understand the term 'start planning for your resettlement'. Not many it appears.

Allow me to elaborate.

When the army lets someone go, or when they leave at the end of their length of service, the army pay for them to retrain for life in civvy street. Whatever they want to do, and whatever qualifications they need - the army foots the bill for it.

An ex-forces friend of mine is now a fully qualified Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer - the army paid for it all and he took every qualification he could get - the full range of MS Certification you can get. Cost: £5k

What does he earn now: circa £50k

... plus his very generous Army pension, plus his redundancy pay.

Poor soldiers eh?

over a year ago

"Yes, let's all jump on the bandwagon and slam the govt for allowing this to happen eh?

Fact: The ARMY has stated that this mistake was down to their administative errors, not the govt., although the govt has apologised unreservedly and vowed that this will never happen again.

Normal procedure is for redundancy notices to be sent to the commanding officer who then tells the soldier face to face.

But I wonder how many of you understand the term 'start planning for your resettlement'. Not many it appears.

Allow me to elaborate.

When the army lets someone go, or when they leave at the end of their length of service, the army pay for them to retrain for life in civvy street. Whatever they want to do, and whatever qualifications they need - the army foots the bill for it.

An ex-forces friend of mine is now a fully qualified Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer - the army paid for it all and he took every qualification he could get - the full range of MS Certification you can get. Cost: £5k

Poor soldiers eh?"

Mabye you should have a conversation with Colonel Tim Collins ...and the plight of ex servicemen ....and then post again ....

over a year ago

"Yes, let's all jump on the bandwagon and slam the govt for allowing this to happen eh?

Allow me to elaborate.

Poor soldiers eh?"

didnt need to no that,seen it , done it got it!! but me thinks you are wrong in some of the things you have said! the army dont look after all who leave.. fact! no need to elaborate... army navy raf all come under M.O.D, which is a branch of the gov.. same ass different donkey!

over a year ago

THATS the military for you .and goverment , we are all expendable in there eyes , would open a lot of peoples eyes with the dirty tricks they get up to . FRANKIE

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

An unfortunate situation for the people concerned but it has been rectified.

Many people who are made redundant get served much, much less than that.

That doesnt make it right but people all over this country face challenges at this tough economic times, the armed forces are no different.

Best wishes to the people impacted and hope they secure roles when the times comes. They have time to plan. Unlike the folks being told tonight, the factory, workshop, small company etc etc is closing tomorrow.

over a year ago

Allow me to elaborate.

Poor soldiers eh?"

YES ! poor soldiers . you need to get in the real world .and see how they do treat there soldiers ?

over a year ago

"An unfortunate situation for the people concerned but it has been rectified.

That doesnt make it right but people all over this country face challenges at this tough economic times, the armed forces are no different.

Best wishes to the people impacted and hope they secure roles when the times comes. They have time to plan. Unlike the folks being told tonight, the factory, workshop, small company etc etc is closing tomorrow. "

and totally agree with you . we all face challenging times , but is it strange how there is a lot of unrest in the ARAB countries , mm who is behind that ?

over a year ago

Best wishes to the people impacted and hope they secure roles when the times comes. They have time to plan. Unlike the folks being told tonight, the factory, workshop, small company etc etc is closing tomorrow. and totally agree with you . we all face challenging times , but is it strange how there is a lot of unrest in the ARAB countries , mm who is behind that ? "

Arabs??

over a year ago

Best wishes to the people impacted and hope they secure roles when the times comes. They have time to plan. Unlike the folks being told tonight, the factory, workshop, small company etc etc is closing tomorrow. and totally agree with you . we all face challenging times , but is it strange how there is a lot of unrest in the ARAB countries , mm who is behind that ?

Arabs??"

hehehe

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

[Removed by poster at 15/02/11 19:11:29]

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Wishy...did you watch forgotten heroes on the bbc? Tim Carroll investigated ....far too many of our armed forces slip through the net and end up homeless and suffering....not all earn 50k

over a year ago

"Wishy...did you watch forgotten heroes on the bbc? Tim Carroll investigated ....far too many of our armed forces slip through the net and end up homeless and suffering....not all earn 50k "
true... 7 of us slipped through the net.. o sorry we got a ... THANKS 50K

over a year ago

"Wishy...did you watch forgotten heroes on the bbc? Tim Carroll investigated ....far too many of our armed forces slip through the net and end up homeless and suffering....not all earn 50k "

No, I didn't watch a BBC non-biased report, I learned what I know from a friend who was in the army and is now doing very well. My own brother-in-law is still in and knows exactly what he's going to be doing when he leaves and what courses the Army will be paying for to re-settle him.

Not every soldier has the brains to make it in civvy street, in so much as not every civvy has the where-with-all to make a good combat soldier.

I can imagine that the BBC simply found 7 ex-squaddies who were down on their luck and portrayed them as forgotten heroes by whatever govt 'forgot' them.

I'm extremely wary of reports designed to twang your heart strings. Did it show any ex-squaddies who'd made a success of themselves.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

First of all Wishy it was you that brought up party politics on this one....the two posts before you hadn't mentioned Dave's Gang.....

Something else to take on board, because of the frequency of tours to first Iraq now Afghanistan it is not always so easy for ALL military personnel to get to undertake their retraining.

Many Royal Marines for example from this part of the country who finished their last Afghanistan tour never had the luxury of a year retraining before hitting retirement, they spent most of their last year in close combat with the Taliban.....The Microsoft example is not I should imagine anywhere near typical.

More like a rarety....

If you have the luxury of serving in something like the Signals or RAF groundcrew you go in knowing you are going to come out with a career....unfortunately the lads serving at the sharp end tend not to be afforded such luxuries.

over a year ago

"Wishy...did you watch forgotten heroes on the bbc? Tim Carroll investigated ....far too many of our armed forces slip through the net and end up homeless and suffering....not all earn 50k

No, I didn't watch a BBC non-biased report, I learned what I know from a friend who was in the army and is now doing very well. My own brother-in-law is still in and knows exactly what he's going to be doing when he leaves and what courses the Army will be paying for to re-settle him.

Not every soldier has the brains to make it in civvy street, in so much as not every civvy has the where-with-all to make a good combat soldier.

I can imagine that the BBC simply found 7 ex-squaddies who were down on their luck and portrayed them as forgotten heroes by whatever govt 'forgot' them.

I'm extremely wary of reports designed to twang your heart strings. Did it show any ex-squaddies who'd made a success of themselves."

Unbelievable...you know a friend ?...a friend ...yer fucking joking right ...

Cheap ..tawdry ....ignoranance that I would only credit to a half wit ....

I thought better of you ...you`ve lost yer way here...being an apologist fer every government action ..has blinded you to seek any balance ...

And if it was cheap political points you was after ...the inter_iew with Liam Fox would of given some mileage to talk with at least a modicum of sense ....

Unbelievable ignorance ...

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Wishy...did you watch forgotten heroes on the bbc? Tim Carroll investigated ....far too many of our armed forces slip through the net and end up homeless and suffering....not all earn 50k

I'm extremely wary of reports designed to twang your heart strings. Did it show any ex-squaddies who'd made a success of themselves."

Now now Wishy, this IS something thats close to my heart and something i know about, i officially invite you to come and see what i do.....the homeless shelters are bursting at the seams with ex servicemen and women, many with MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES....abandoned by the country they fought for.....many of which are deemed ok as they have no physical injuries, society looks but doesnt see Wishy...so come n see for yourself

over a year ago

in the rear with the gear!or blankett stacker! as we say.

as the last post says some of us never got chance to swan abt and re-train for life in the..( real world so too speak) as for having the brains to make it in civvy street??? i find that comment very insulting!! i have made it in civvy street... im here on fab the highlight of my life ..

over a year ago

I'm extremely wary of reports designed to twang your heart strings. Did it show any ex-squaddies who'd made a success of themselves.Now now Wishy, this IS something thats close to my heart and something i know about, i officially invite you to come and see what i do.....the homeless shelters are bursting at the seams with ex servicemen and women, many with MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES....abandoned by the country they fought for.....many of which are deemed ok as they have no physical injuries, society looks but doesnt see Wishy...so come n see for yourself "

WELL done you !

over a year ago

I'm extremely wary of reports designed to twang your heart strings. Did it show any ex-squaddies who'd made a success of themselves.Now now Wishy, this IS something thats close to my heart and something i know about, i officially invite you to come and see what i do.....the homeless shelters are bursting at the seams with ex servicemen and women, many with MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES....abandoned by the country they fought for.....many of which are deemed ok as they have no physical injuries, society looks but doesnt see Wishy...so come n see for yourself WELL done you ! "

Yes..bless you!!..working on that front line is challenging ....my respect..

over a year ago

I'm extremely wary of reports designed to twang your heart strings. Did it show any ex-squaddies who'd made a success of themselves.Now now Wishy, this IS something thats close to my heart and something i know about, i officially invite you to come and see what i do.....the homeless shelters are bursting at the seams with ex servicemen and women, many with MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES....abandoned by the country they fought for.....many of which are deemed ok as they have no physical injuries, society looks but doesnt see Wishy...so come n see for yourself "

AND that front line is much more difficult ,than the ones i was on ! your a true HERO !

over a year ago

"Now now Wishy, this IS something thats close to my heart and something i know about, i officially invite you to come and see what i do.....the homeless shelters are bursting at the seams with ex servicemen and women, many with MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES....abandoned by the country they fought for.....many of which are deemed ok as they have no physical injuries, society looks but doesnt see Wishy...so come n see for yourself "

Sorry femme, I didn't mean that to come across as sarcastic as it read. I didn't see the prog so asked the question about ex-forces personnel who had succeeded in transitioning from army life to civvy.

Test sometimes skews one's words and infers meanings that weren't intended.

I know some ex-forces do suffer from the things they've seen, Coronation St recently ran a storyline featuring that very thing and did it well I thought.

I was simply trying to say that yes, it was a shitty way to tell a front line soldier he'd been sacked, but the govt and the MoD have stated that it was an error and won't happen again. It does make one wonder about the motives of the person who hit 'Send'. Was that person acting with a hidden agenda or just a plain fucking idiot.

Once again, sorry if it seemed I was having a pop, I wasn't. x

over a year ago

** edit

TEXT sometimes skews one's words..

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Now now Wishy, this IS something thats close to my heart and something i know about, i officially invite you to come and see what i do.....the homeless shelters are bursting at the seams with ex servicemen and women, many with MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES....abandoned by the country they fought for.....many of which are deemed ok as they have no physical injuries, society looks but doesnt see Wishy...so come n see for yourself

Sorry femme, I didn't mean that to come across as sarcastic as it read. I didn't see the prog so asked the question about ex-forces personnel who had succeeded in transitioning from army life to civvy.

Test sometimes skews one's words and infers meanings that weren't intended.

I know some ex-forces do suffer from the things they've seen, Coronation St recently ran a storyline featuring that very thing and did it well I thought.

I was simply trying to say that yes, it was a shitty way to tell a front line soldier he'd been sacked, but the govt and the MoD have stated that it was an error and won't happen again. It does make one wonder about the motives of the person who hit 'Send'. Was that person acting with a hidden agenda or just a plain fucking idiot.

Once again, sorry if it seemed I was having a pop, I wasn't. x"

Fair enough Wishy...very emotive subject xx

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

"the M.O.D are totally out of order on this. if a man or woman has the gutts to sign on the dotted line and risk there lifes.

then at least have the balls to sit them down when they are home in the uk and explain the reasons... show them respect.

they ernt it!

dont treat them like cannon fodder!! "

Its not the best bit of PR at all but be it by email or in person its never good. Many in the armed forces go in not with it being a first choice more for the fact its like a family and it is! I spent many a year in there with people i still class as brothers.

The big problem is that its not easy for many to adjust to civvie street and end up being forgotten about and discarded. I know there is a lot of support for the troops and its great. I still feel a lot of pride for them although its a while since i left. It would be good for people sparing a thought for the boys when they are struggling to enter into civilian life. I know not all are in a position to employ ex services but if you are then look on at the guy your inter_iewing. Often they struggle to get jobs after years in uniform contrary to popular belief. At some point he may have risked his life for us and be favourable if you can in employing him hand helping him re-enter mainstream society.

By *lirty and dirtyCouple
over a year ago

ashford

to be honest i think you will find the army only pay £500 towards the one resettlement course, so if you mate got 5k i dunno how!

over a year ago

ashford

absolutely...and the forces knew that there were cuts coming...i think the point is to serve your country for over 22 years and get told in an email is wrong! and as was said before for any employer to do it that way is wrong...a bit of respect should be shown

over a year ago

ashford

first hand...treat them like shite and the families too..any young lad thinking of joining up should think again!

over a year ago

ashford

look up the website aarse as i have just done...blokes course 4k he gets 20 days to do it and gets £534 towards it plus maybe an additional £175 if he is lucky so i really cant see how someone got 5k...maybe thats how much the course was??

and well done you femme xx

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

?"

Where? It is you that brought up the govt.

Are you on the payroll as you defend them whatever they do? Even when no one mentioned them.

To the OP, yes it is a shitty way to get made redundant, but that goes for everyone....although so it seems it was a "mistake"

over a year ago

I think we would all agree that it was outrageous to sack people in that way....especially those on the front line ....morale crushing...I`d suggest sacking those responsible fer such a grave misjudgement..

To be fair ....Liam Fox looked visibly angry ...the tenor of his statement and hs demenour suggested that to me ....

Knowing how he feels about the welfare of soldiers, I would guess...some severe bollockings were handed out, behind the scenes at the MOD...

He`s working hard fer the Armed Forces ...he`s ensured to make the military covenant enshrined in law ...a good start ...

He looks in a unenviable position ..of squaring his own convictions of welfare, with the governments decision to include the Armed Forces in the Strategic Spending Re_iew ....kinda working with one hand behind his back ..toeing the party line on some issues no doubt ...but thats politics ...

over a year ago

Fox is right to look angry. This is the sort of cock-up which, in the past, has led to ministerial resignation. The sender of the email can look forward to an inter_iew without coffee and limited promotion prospects.

WOs and POs are what keeps 21st century armed forces functioning. Consigning 38 of them (that we know about) to civvy street is going to save ......... how much? whilst leaving a black hole in the chain of command which will be difficult to fill.

That said, governments of both complexions over many years have let ex-servicemen and women down very badly but by the same token some ex-service folk haven't done themselves any favours either by not making themselves a bit more employable during their service years.

If you've done 20 years and the only additional skill you've learned in that time is how to drive a tank - you'll struggle to find vacancies down the buroo.

over a year ago

?

Are you on the payroll as you defend them whatever they do? Even when no one mentioned them.

To the OP, yes it is a shitty way to get made redundant, but that goes for everyone....although so it seems it was a "mistake""

Am I on the govt's payroll? No, wish I was though..

I just think there is an unhealthy amount of Labour support on here who critisicse the Coalition no matter what they do. This email sent to soldiers wasn't the govt's fault, it was the error of one individual who hit 'Send' to the wrong people.

To my mind, when we take part in an election we cast our vote and accept the result - that's democracy, but to others it seems we just keep counting till we get the result we want.

Take some of these Labour-run councils who are slashing essential public services because they've been told to make upto 25% cuts. What do they do?

Cut libraries, public toilets, bus routes - vital services needed in their communities.

Why?

Because it makes a political point.

It has nothing to do with serving the communities they were elected to represent. They could have found the majority of the cuts required by simply looking for where money was being needlessly wasted - like their own super-inflated wages for example!

How is it that a council leader earns more than the Prime Minister?

So yes, I'll defend this govt because it's one I voted for and I believe that what they're doing is the right way to combat the shambolic financial mess Labour left us in, and I'll do it on these boards if only to voice an opposition to the loony Labour lefties who support them for the simple reason that 'grandad did'.

over a year ago

Liam Fox made a statement to the house yesterday afternoon, in relation to it .....

I haven`t seen how that went, or what sort of reaction his statement generated ..

But you`re right ...ministers have resigned over similar things ..

Yeah ..Labours record ain`t great is it ...

Its the paradigm of wastage in the MOD, that fucks me of....so much money wasted ....real gravy train and inept mangement ..countless millions that could be far better spent ...

Tis true some soldiers don`t help themselves ...I`ve seen them ...instutionalised beyond belief as well...

over a year ago

" .........This email sent to soldiers wasn't the govt's fault, it was the error of one individual who hit 'Send' to the wrong people.

..............."

That's where you're wrong. Not making a party political point here but the Minister is any department is ultimatly responsible for everything and anything that happens in his department. It's called Ministerial Responsibility.

Is it fair? Probably not. Can you really expect a cabinet minister sitting in Whitehall to know every detail of every action or activity by every MOD employee, uniformed or civillian, anywhere in the world 24x7? Clearly not but, under Ministerial Responsibilty, s/he is.

Fox is the guy in charge and one of his staff screwed it up.

Trying to shift the focus onto public services is a nice try but it might be better to start another thread.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

?

To the OP, yes it is a shitty way to get made redundant, but that goes for everyone....although so it seems it was a "mistake"

Am I on the govt's payroll? No, wish I was though..

I just think there is an unhealthy amount of Labour support on here who critisicse the Coalition no matter what they do.

."

Irony at its best

As no one had mentioned the govt about these mails or their support of labour then I think your post just proves one thing... you say that you think some people have an unhealthy amount of Labour support , you come across as having the same unhealthy support for the Coalition.

( from someone who has never said who I voted for ( mainly because I think I got the boxes wrong but thats another story and I should really go for an eye test)and have never got into the political threads as a staunch supported of any one party)

over a year ago

If there is a degree of Labour support here it's probably because Fab isn't generously populated by Old Etonian multi-millionaires.

Post new Message to Thread