Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Glasses or contacts

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Do you wear glasses or contact lenses (this thread is obviously aimed at those of us who have poor eyesight).

My eyesight is starting to decline and whilst I can see well enough to not fall over objects in my way, glasses do give me a clearer vision.

I used to wear contact lenses but after a very nasty corneal ulcer and some intense medical treatment, I cannot wear them any longer and have to stick to my glasses from now on.

I dont really mind because I like funky glasses, I quite like the geeky look to be honest, but I dont have to wear them all the time, if Im gong out I can see well enough not to have to wear them.

Do you prefer to wear glasses, and do you always choose a particular frame type, or do you prefer contacts

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

I wear contacts sometimes and glasses at others - i'm -7 in both eyes so nearly blind! Like either option really as just good to see! Z

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I wear my contacts if I'm off out, doing any kind of phys or if I'm doing something non-desk based with work - find my glasses get in the way.

over a year ago

I wear glasses to balance out my two very different eyes, where one is short-sighted, while the other one is long-sighted!

However, I can get by without them.

I don't wear glasses when I play or go out in the evening.

over a year ago

I need glasses to read and for close up work, but just buy cheap and cheerful ones.... some stay on through play others don't. I usually fall asleep with them on.

over a year ago

Mrs Red has about 8 different pairs of specs and she also wears contacts (not at the same time)

She has Ted Baker, Prada, D&G, Red or Dead to name but a few ....

She works for an optom, so they cost her bugger all

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I have an eye condition called Keratoconus so wear a special type of lens to support this condition.

over a year ago

I stick to glasses now I used to wear cotacts but just drifted away from them, don't wear them during play though lol don't want to scratch the lady's thighs

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I find glasses easier I must admit. Firstly my contacts never seemed comfortable, obviously that was due to me having an insensitivity to them that went undiagnosed. But putting mascara and eye liner on, sometimes it finds its way into the eye and any tiny speck that gets on lenses feels really uncomfortable and so you have to remove them, which means washing hands thoroughly before touching them, cleaning the lenses, putting them back in, drove me potty. Same with rubbing my eyes if I was tired, id do that, shift the lens from position and ive had it go under the top eyelashes, having to try and find it.

At least with glasses its just opening the case and putting them on, and nothing is going directly into the eye.

I get bored though so its a costly business. I like lots of different frames

By *ll of a QuiverCouple
over a year ago

Douglas

I wear glasses, however i dont normally choose a particular frame type.

I just tend to pick what i think looks good from what's available.

Tried contacts but just couldn't get used to them so gave up. N

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

"I have an eye condition called Keratoconus so wear a special type of lens to support this condition.

"

I've just googled this as never heard of it, that's not good, i feel more humble now as just have bad eyes and astigmatism - XXX Z

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

i wear glasses but im long sighted

over a year ago

Glasses all the way & always has been for me...

I don't like the idea of putting anything on my eye ball!

over a year ago

I wear my glasses most of the time but wear my contact lenses if I'm in the mood and when I go out.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"I have an eye condition called Keratoconus so wear a special type of lens to support this condition.

I've just googled this as never heard of it, that's not good, i feel more humble now as just have bad eyes and astigmatism - XXX Z"

couple of wee cornea grafts and I will be as right as rain.

can still get a stiffie..... so life is all good.

over a year ago

I can't wear contacts as I too have an eye condition, at the moment I do wear very strong glasses when using the laptop, I still have to have my screen magnified to 400% but before long glasses will be usless to me, I am registered blind

I have Diabetic retinopathy and Macular Oedema

over a year ago

I, Jack, had laser sugery in 1995. I wore glasses and contact lenses for around 20yrs.

My long vision is as perfect as you would expect it to be, but I'm getting very close to the time that I will need reading specs

Kate wears glasses for computer work. She doesn't wear them for anything else, not even reading

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Tried contacts once. Couldn't keep my eye open to stick my finger in it, so it'll be glasses for me until such time as Laser becomes an option.

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

Had laser surgery three years ago, best money spent

over a year ago

i love my glass's xx

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

The thoguht of contacts makes me quiver- eeeeeeek.

So i stick to glasses - have about 20 pairs as i like to chop and change, some serious ones for work, and my funky ones for home.

Its great that they are so cooool these days and you gan get glasses to suit most outfits.

Am a bit restricted to the frames tho as my lenses are so thick, but can still get away with most :o)

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

I'd have laser surgery but my eyes are too bad - i would still have to wear specs or contacts so whats the point? I love my contacts and like my specs so as long as i can see i'm happy! Z

By *UNCHBOXMan
over a year ago

folkestone

[Removed by poster at 14/02/11 00:22:42]

By *UNCHBOXMan
over a year ago

folkestone

I wear glasses at work, and contacts for going out and sport. Ive always hated wearing glasses, so ive worn contacts since i was 16. As i have to wear glasses some of the time, and im self concious of wearing them, i have the reduced thickless lenses in the glasses, so the lenses dont appear as thick as normal lenses. Ive always wanted to wear the full rimless ones, but because of my fairly high prescription, i dont think they would look very good on me, as you cant get away with having the reduced thickness lenses in them.

Ive thought about laser treatment, but the thought of someone cutting into my eye with a laser puts me off.

By *ruitWoman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

I also weae glasses and have since i was school age. I remember having the pink national health glasses and pigtails to go with it.

Now i have a pair of d and g and i call them my secretary glasses. My main ones are reactalite thingies which are jasper conran and the thinnest lenses i can get but coat a fortune.

Also have a tinted pair as reactalite ones dont change in the car so my dark ones are black and white frames and they are bench. I bouht all these 4 years ago and Will gwt new lenses for them when i need them.

I also have contacts which only occasionally wear.

I am very long sited with the astigmatism thingy too so can see without glasses but nother enough to manage and my lazy eye starts to wander after a few mins of concentration.

Would love to have the surgery to correct my vision but would be very scared and Cant afford it.

Would love perfect vision tho.

over a year ago

Glasses.

over a year ago

I wore contacts until 2003 when I developed a condition called intercranial hypertension. I lost around 80% of my sight.

I was studying for my masters at the time, my mother had died and I was preparing to leave my husband. The blurred vision and headaches I put down to the stress of it all. Went on holiday with a friend to Kos and Turkey the bright light played havoc with my eyes and when I came back went to see an option. That was the Friday, he said he couldn't see the back of my eyes so I should go to A&E.

Phoned my girls to say I'd be late home, so would do shopping on the way. Went to A&E that Friday, didn't see my home again for another three weeks, was admitted immediately for a lumber puncture to relieve the pressure as my optic nerves were being crushed and starved of oxygen.

Naturally everything changed. I was off work for six months and it was the best part of a year before my eyesight returned, and six years before I was finally discharged from Neurology, but I can no longer wear contacts I'm now in glasses - verifocals and I don't like them, even after eight years I don't like them. Thing is I take them off to read as it's easier and clearer.

I've limited vision in my right eye but the left is ok-ish. I did develop a squint for a short while as my left eye tried to compensate.

They used lasers to re-attach my retina's but I don't think laser surgery would help. Any how I'm sick of hospitals so will just stick with my glasses.

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

I tend to wear glasses in the day and lenses when I'm out as I find central heating makes them feel very dry and uncomfortable.

over a year ago

"I tend to wear glasses in the day and lenses when I'm out as I find central heating makes them feel very dry and uncomfortable. "

If my lenses were dry and uncomfortable I'd buy them a drink and fluff their cushions.

over a year ago

I wear glasses and have done for many years now. Tried contacts but they drifted around my eyes. Found the only time they didnt was when i was doing 70mph+ on my bike with the visor up.

Post new Message to Thread