Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

CND rally

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

A bunch of namby pamby ideologists or do they really have a valid point to make in 2016 Britain ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

There seem to a hardcore group of protesters who attend just about every protest going, on every issue possible

over a year ago

"A bunch of namby pamby ideologists or do they really have a valid point to make in 2016 Britain ? "

Take out the emotive "namby pamby," and you may have a point.

over a year ago

They have a valid argument, even if one doesn't agree with them.

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

What does namby pamby mean ?

By *rincessvenusCouple
over a year ago

Hull

cant beat a good demo for getting rid of stress

over a year ago

They have a valid concept...but unless you can convince the world it's not necessarily the best one. Unfortunately they don't convince the world using their current techniques? Though many see being convinced of better ideology as a weakness sadly.

over a year ago

"What does namby pamby mean ?"

Well honky-tonk..... It's just a none offensive light-hearted term intended to a spur a friendly and enthusiastic debate...........

over a year ago

"There seem to a hardcore group of protesters who attend just about every protest going, on every issue possible "

This.

over a year ago

"What does namby pamby mean ?

Well honky-tonk..... It's just a none offensive light-hearted term intended to a spur a friendly and enthusiastic debate...........

"

I thought it described someone who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag

By *ipswingCouple
over a year ago

portrush

how many nuclear weapons does it take to feed the world...

over a year ago

"What does namby pamby mean ?

I thought it described someone who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag "

So how long were you trapped in that bag....... ?

over a year ago

"how many nuclear weapons does it take to feed the world..."

How many loaves of bread did it take to win World War 2?

over a year ago

Maintaining a nuclear defence is morally unjustifiable, even a rudimentary compression of the effects of a nuclear war should make rational people want to ditch the cold war legacy... That's without even considering how the lunacy of sending such huge sums of money on bombs we'll need use, when essential services are being cut to the bone...

By *ipswingCouple
over a year ago

portrush

"how many nuclear weapons does it take to feed the world...

How many loaves of bread did it take to win World War 2? "

there wasnt enough bread in germany.. hungry people are not happy folk..

over a year ago

Placards seen so far include

Books not Bombs....

NHS not Trident...

Climate not Trident....

Cut War not Welfare .....

over a year ago

Seem like reasonable demands...

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

The ideological problem is that it ignores the real world problem. Yes it would be preferable if everyone scrapped their nuclear arsenals but it won't happen in my lifetime

over a year ago

"The ideological problem is that it ignores the real world problem. Yes it would be preferable if everyone scrapped their nuclear arsenals but it won't happen in my lifetime "

Yeah but if it helps them feel smug then who are we to stand in their way

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

I don't need to let off a missile to feel smug

over a year ago

"Placards seen so far include

Books not Bombs....

NHS not Trident...

Climate not Trident....

Cut War not Welfare ..... "

Can I have a placard that says, "All of the above, please?"

over a year ago

"Placards seen so far include

Books not Bombs....

NHS not Trident...

Climate not Trident....

Cut War not Welfare ..... "

Give peace a chance

All you need is love (and drugs)

Can't we all get along

By *hingford manMan
over a year ago

highams park East London

Go and have a wash and get a job

over a year ago

They're demands I kinda like

over a year ago

I want a placard emblazoned with the words......

"Generic Angry Slogan"

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

Coming into London from the west side, there is graffiti sayin "give peas a chance"

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

It is a sad fact that the biggest contribution to peace in the world today is nuclear weapons. Like it or not the mere fact that these weapons are held in vast quantities by the major world powers has stopped them going to war since WW2. The real shame is that so many people do not recognise this and would remove these weapons from the world thus returning us to an era where those with imperialist ambitions could feel secure with starting world wars and killing 10's of millions to assuage their hunger for power.

By *igandanneCouple
over a year ago

Cheltenham

It gives comrade corbyn something to do on a saterday

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

"There seem to a hardcore group of protesters who attend just about every protest going, on every issue possible "

if that were true do you have a problem with it?

By *hingford manMan
over a year ago

highams park East London

"There seem to a hardcore group of protesters who attend just about every protest going, on every issue possible

if that were true do you have a problem with it?"

Yes they want equality for everyone then act like d*unk teenagers causing trouble and smashing things up costing tax payers even more money

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

"There seem to a hardcore group of protesters who attend just about every protest going, on every issue possible

Yes they want equality for everyone then act like d*unk teenagers causing trouble and smashing things up costing tax payers even more money "

utter bollox

over a year ago

Yes they want equality for everyone then act like d*unk teenagers causing trouble and smashing things up costing tax payers even more money "

Well, in this case, these particular protesters believe that Trident is a bad thing.

over a year ago

Slavery abolition

Women's rights

Gay rights

Environmental movement

Consumer movement

Workers rights

Race equality

Disabled rights

All these things were brought about and improved by "namby pamby" activists of society.

Of course we could just listen to David Cameron when he said if you don't want fracking then you won't get it.... Until everybody said no!.

So now your having it whether you want it or not!.

I don't know about namby pambys but there's an awful lot of people who are "for stuff" nimbys

over a year ago

My grudge is the cost. I would like to see some sort of justification in the amounts to be spent. Especially when it'll be over budget. Contractors vastly overprice items, past mod projects have wasted countless millions.

By *artytwoCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"It is a sad fact that the biggest contribution to peace in the world today is nuclear weapons. Like it or not the mere fact that these weapons are held in vast quantities by the major world powers has stopped them going to war since WW2. The real shame is that so many people do not recognise this and would remove these weapons from the world thus returning us to an era where those with imperialist ambitions could feel secure with starting world wars and killing 10's of millions to assuage their hunger for power. "

It's an even sadder fact that we have no way of knowing if the proliferation HAS prevented any wars or not:

If you google "wars since 1945" there is an enormous list of conflicts, most you've never heard of.

Compare it to the "wars prevented by MAD" list.................mmmm

By *otblondewife hornyMrCouple
over a year ago

Cambuslang

"It is a sad fact that the biggest contribution to peace in the world today is nuclear weapons. Like it or not the mere fact that these weapons are held in vast quantities by the major world powers has stopped them going to war since WW2. The real shame is that so many people do not recognise this and would remove these weapons from the world thus returning us to an era where those with imperialist ambitions could feel secure with starting world wars and killing 10's of millions to assuage their hunger for power. "

WOW! You do realise that the nuclear nations are the ones that cause the majority of wars in the world

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Renewing trident isn't the right thing to be doing. Was busy down Park Lane, as the march went past. Respect to them.

By *inCity BluesMan
over a year ago

London

I wonder if any of these beard-and-sandles peaceniks ever ponder the fact that nuclear weapons have done more to prevent a Third World War than six decades worth of marches, banners and smug sloganeering put together?

Probably not.

over a year ago

Watching Jeremy Corbyn trying to whip up a frenzy is something that takes a lot of commitment ......

over a year ago

"I wonder if any of these beard-and-sandles peaceniks ever ponder the fact that nuclear weapons have done more to prevent a Third World War than six decades worth of marches, banners and smug sloganeering put together?

Probably not."

I don't think it's the ones it's prevented there disagreeing with..

It's the ONE it doesn't stop that worries them!

over a year ago

"I wonder if any of these beard-and-sandles peaceniks ever ponder the fact that nuclear weapons have done more to prevent a Third World War than six decades worth of marches, banners and smug sloganeering put together?

Probably not..

It's the ONE it doesn't stop that worries them!"

Salient point.....

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

If you've got a blacklist, I wanna be on it

over a year ago

Probably not."

How can you prove a negative?

Those "beard-and-sandles" brigade may have a legitimate point.

Even during the cold war, do you think that if we had not had nuclear weapons, that the dreaded Russkies would have pressed the button and annihated us?

Perhaps those hundreds of billions of pounds might have been spent on better projects?

Those dreadful peaceniks clearly do not have a point. Just dismiss them.

over a year ago

"how many nuclear weapons does it take to feed the world..."

About 27 should reduce the pupolation of humans close to extinction levels, which due to our long breeding cycles compared to most other fauna should reset the population / food balance quite well.

By *otblondewife hornyMrCouple
over a year ago

Cambuslang

Probably not."

If the London establishment is so eager to renew trident then let them park it on the thames

By *inCity BluesMan
over a year ago

London

"

It's the ONE it doesn't stop that worries them!"

There will never be a superpower nuclear conflict, despite all the fearmongering from the Left. The cost is simply too much to pay.

Even North Korea, even if it had the capability, would not risk it.

There will be no global nuclear conflict (thanks to the concept of MAD) and there will never be another pan-European conflict, because European nations haven't the taste for war (nothing to do with the EU, and everything to do with the lessons of European history and not wanting to risk what we have created in our societies).

There will be conflict in Europe in the future, but these will be internal struggles tied to population change and clash of cultures. We've already seen the opening salvoes of this conflict fired during the first decade and a half of this century, and it's not going to go away any time soon.

over a year ago

Probably not."

I wonder if any of those war fearing anaialation merchants ever considered that world war 2 probably went a long way towards preventing world war 3, and had we not been so keen to make weapons grade plutonium, we could have built safer more efficient powerstations, reduced our dependance on fossil fuels and avoided the wars in oil producing countries and the resulting terrorist strikes?

over a year ago

"It is a sad fact that the biggest contribution to peace in the world today is nuclear weapons. Like it or not the mere fact that these weapons are held in vast quantities by the major world powers has stopped them going to war since WW2. The real shame is that so many people do not recognise this and would remove these weapons from the world thus returning us to an era where those with imperialist ambitions could feel secure with starting world wars and killing 10's of millions to assuage their hunger for power.

WOW! You do realise that the nuclear nations are the ones that cause the majority of wars in the world"

Really? It's usually religion that the lefties like to blame for that but nice to see something else getting the blame...

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

can't understand how this thread ended up like this ...

Reporting live from HMS Victorious... (nuclear submarine !)

over a year ago

if that were true do you have a problem with it?"

It's a Saturday and a free country... I'm pretty indifferent to them to be honest. I wouldn't ban the freedom to protest if that's what you mean?

I think it somewhat cheapens their arguement when you see the same people protesting this and that. I've already given my account of trying to talk to the 'occupy London' lot. Most of them didn't believe in jack shit.

over a year ago

"My grudge is the cost. I would like to see some sort of justification in the amounts to be spent. Especially when it'll be over budget. Contractors vastly overprice items, past mod projects have wasted countless millions."

It comes out of the defence budget. If it wasn't going on trident they'd spent it on something else, most countries spend 2% of GDP on their military irrespective of whether they have nuclear weapons or not. Our tanks are pretty old, do you really give a shit if the MOD buys new tanks, nukes or more Type 26's?

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

It's a Saturday and a free country... I'm pretty indifferent to them to be honest. I wouldn't ban the freedom to protest if that's what you mean?

I think it somewhat cheapens their arguement when you see the same people protesting this and that. I've already given my account of trying to talk to the 'occupy London' lot. Most of them didn't believe in jack shit."

you clearly fail to grasp the fundamentals of grassroots politics, but then you're only young so it may not be entirely your fault. try reading some books which are more relevant to life rather than studying ways to make money for the state.

over a year ago

I think it somewhat cheapens their arguement when you see the same people protesting this and that. I've already given my account of trying to talk to the 'occupy London' lot. Most of them didn't believe in jack shit.

you clearly fail to grasp the fundamentals of grassroots politics, but then you're only young so it may not be entirely your fault. try reading some books which are more relevant to life rather than studying ways to make money for the state."

So because nobody outside the CND gives a shit about them, I just don't understand it. OK sure.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"(I said)It is a sad fact that the biggest contribution to peace in the world today is nuclear weapons. Like it or not the mere fact that these weapons are held in vast quantities by the major world powers has stopped them going to war since WW2. The real shame is that so many people do not recognise this and would remove these weapons from the world thus returning us to an era where those with imperialist ambitions could feel secure with starting world wars and killing 10's of millions to assuage their hunger for power.

(Turnon-Delight said)It's an even sadder fact that we have no way of knowing if the proliferation HAS prevented any wars or not:

If you google "wars since 1945" there is an enormous list of conflicts, most you've never heard of.

Compare it to the "wars prevented by MAD" list.................mmmm"

"( Hotblondewife hornyMr said)WOW! You do realise that the nuclear nations are the ones that cause the majority of wars in the world"

True. However if you read the history of WW2 you will see that the military estimates of looses for each campaign and battle were if anything on the low side. The estimate for Allied losses invading the Japanese Home Islands was 3 million dead and between 50 and 90% of the total Japanese population! 2 atomic bombs and Japan surrendered. Further if you dig a little deeper into your history you will find that as soon as countries becomes nuclear powers other countries stop attacking them. The perfect example is India and Pakistan who hate each other and have spent decades fighting in Kashmir. However as soon as they both exploded nuclear devices they found that although they still hate each other they no longer want to be at war with one another. The same is true everywhere you look.

Admittedly the big powers now fight proxy wars that are violent in the extreme but they always pull back from direct conflict. Do you really believe that if the weapons to back up MAD were not available The Soviet Union, China, USA and the West would not be in direct conflict?

As I said it is very sad, and sadder that well meaning people would strip us of what peace we have by removing our one real weapon that guarantees we live in relitive peace in the UK.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Even during the cold war, do you think that if we had not had nuclear weapons, that the dreaded Russkies would have pressed the button and annihated us?

Perhaps those hundreds of billions of pounds might have been spent on better projects? "

Really?

I think you miss the point!

The cold war was cold BECAUSE we had nuclear weapons. If we did not have them it would have been a WAR! Not a nuclear war just a war. A bit like the one Russia is fighting in Ukraine but a lot more open! Also remember that Vlad has said that he put his nuclear arsenal on alert and was ready to use it last summer in The Ukraine, and Vlad is nothing like as ruthless as Uncle Jo!

over a year ago

"My grudge is the cost. I would like to see some sort of justification in the amounts to be spent. Especially when it'll be over budget. Contractors vastly overprice items, past mod projects have wasted countless millions.

It comes out of the defence budget. If it wasn't going on trident they'd spent it on something else, most countries spend 2% of GDP on their military irrespective of whether they have nuclear weapons or not. Our tanks are pretty old, do you really give a shit if the MOD buys new tanks, nukes or more Type 26's? "

yep! I do. 2% on good quality equipment fit for purpose for those operating them, doesn't drop people in the shit and not ripped off by contractors. it'll be more than 2% when private contractors cream off the profits

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I thought we'd heard the last of them when Glastonbury sorted itself out

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"Really?

I think you miss the point!

The cold war was cold BECAUSE we had nuclear weapons. If we did not have them it would have been a WAR! Not a nuclear war just a war. A bit like the one Russia is fighting in Ukraine but a lot more open! Also remember that Vlad has said that he put his nuclear arsenal on alert and was ready to use it last summer in The Ukraine, and Vlad is nothing like as ruthless as Uncle Jo!"

over a year ago

There's something about a rally of protestors that just pisses me off .

Makes no difference what it's a protest against , it just proper gets my goat .

So often a % don't even know what they are protesting against , and their behaviour often leaves a lot to be desired .

over a year ago

"

I wonder if any of those war fearing anaialation merchants ever considered that world war 2 probably went a long way towards preventing world war 3,"

Oh yeah? Like WW1 prevented WW2? Fuck me. Look, we live in a system of society that generates war. It's just an extension of business. Want a world without weapons of mass destruction? Remove the cause of war in the modern world. (Bonus: The cause of war in the modern world is also the cause of poverty, crime, starvation, environmental despoliation and a whole host of other disgusting social problems.)

over a year ago

"My grudge is the cost. I would like to see some sort of justification in the amounts to be spent. Especially when it'll be over budget. Contractors vastly overprice items, past mod projects have wasted countless millions.

It comes out of the defence budget. If it wasn't going on trident they'd spent it on something else, most countries spend 2% of GDP on their military irrespective of whether they have nuclear weapons or not. Our tanks are pretty old, do you really give a shit if the MOD buys new tanks, nukes or more Type 26's? "

btw.. Something that's expensive does not guarantee quality.

over a year ago

It comes out of the defence budget. If it wasn't going on trident they'd spent it on something else, most countries spend 2% of GDP on their military irrespective of whether they have nuclear weapons or not. Our tanks are pretty old, do you really give a shit if the MOD buys new tanks, nukes or more Type 26's? yep! I do. 2% on good quality equipment fit for purpose for those operating them, doesn't drop people in the shit and not ripped off by contractors. it'll be more than 2% when private contractors cream off the profits "

What's the average net profit of a defence prime contractor?

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

you clearly fail to grasp the fundamentals of grassroots politics, but then you're only young so it may not be entirely your fault. try reading some books which are more relevant to life rather than studying ways to make money for the state.

So because nobody outside the CND gives a shit about them, I just don't understand it. OK sure. "

no, it's just when you belittle the process of voicing an opinion using mass protest rallys by saying the things you do such as they are all the same few people, they are all too stoned to know what they stand for, they are all uneducated, they smell etc etc then it just kinda shows an immature lack of understanding really. the fact that you think that your one experience of a protest gives you enough insight into all the protests that ever took place in the UK allows you to write them all off as the same generic protest reoccuring over and over shows a lack of understanding of the UK's tradition of mass public protests stretching back over 1000 years and what they have achieved.

and when it comes to the "occupy" protest you seem to fail to understand that the whole point of the group "anonymous". they are anonymous, so why would they wish to break they're anonymity to explain anything to a cynic such as yourself. the whole point of that particular protest is civil disobedience. the authorities have passed laws saying "you have to have our permission to protest" and a loosely associated mass of people telling the authorities "no we don't". i'm saying you don't understand that concept at this present moment in time, most likely because you choose not to rather than thinking about it all properly.

over a year ago

So because nobody outside the CND gives a shit about them, I just don't understand it. OK sure.

no, it's just when you belittle the process of voicing an opinion using mass protest rallys by saying the things you do such as they are all the same few people, they are all too stoned to know what they stand for, they are all uneducated, they smell etc etc then it just kinda shows an immature lack of understanding really. the fact that you think that your one experience of a protest gives you enough insight into all the protests that ever took place in the UK allows you to write them all off as the same generic protest reoccuring over and over shows a lack of understanding of the UK's tradition of mass public protests stretching back over 1000 years and what they have achieved.

and when it comes to the "occupy" protest you seem to fail to understand that the whole point of the group "anonymous". they are anonymous, so why would they wish to break they're anonymity to explain anything to a cynic such as yourself. the whole point of that particular protest is civil disobedience. the authorities have passed laws saying "you have to have our permission to protest" and a loosely associated mass of people telling the authorities "no we don't". i'm saying you don't understand that concept at this present moment in time, most likely because you choose not to rather than thinking about it all properly."

Or because I just don't agree with them. I have a masters in this bloody subject so believe me when I say my position is well considered, even if you don't agree with it. I never said they were uneducated either.

I don't know what your problem is. They are welcome to have their protest and sit on their high horse. Just like I have the right to think they are wrong and ignore them.

over a year ago

"A bunch of namby pamby ideologists or do they really have a valid point to make in 2016 Britain ? "

The noisy minority.

over a year ago

Cn what?

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

and when it comes to the "occupy" protest you seem to fail to understand that the whole point of the group "anonymous". they are anonymous, so why would they wish to break they're anonymity to explain anything to a cynic such as yourself. the whole point of that particular protest is civil disobedience. the authorities have passed laws saying "you have to have our permission to protest" and a loosely associated mass of people telling the authorities "no we don't". i'm saying you don't understand that concept at this present moment in time, most likely because you choose not to rather than thinking about it all properly.

Or because I just don't agree with them. I have a masters in this bloody subject so believe me when I say my position is well considered, even if you don't agree with it. I never said they were uneducated either.

I don't know what your problem is. They are welcome to have their protest and sit on their high horse. Just like I have the right to think they are wrong and ignore them. "

yeah ... you're doing a really good job of ignoring them by continually commenting about them on fab threads ... nice job

over a year ago

Comrade Corbyn being a leading light of this group!

over a year ago

I don't know what your problem is. They are welcome to have their protest and sit on their high horse. Just like I have the right to think they are wrong and ignore them.

yeah ... you're doing a really good job of ignoring them by continually commenting about them on fab threads ... nice job

"

Apologies, it's their message I ignore. They are great to fun of. A quick read of the thread shows that I'm not the only one with a sensitive nose to them...

By *ethnmelvCouple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

"

I wonder if any of those war fearing anaialation merchants ever considered that world war 2 probably went a long way towards preventing world war 3,

Oh yeah? Like WW1 prevented WW2? Fuck me. Look, we live in a system of society that generates war. It's just an extension of business. Want a world without weapons of mass destruction? Remove the cause of war in the modern world. (Bonus: The cause of war in the modern world is also the cause of poverty, crime, starvation, environmental despoliation and a whole host of other disgusting social problems.)"

I must be being dumb tonight, what is this cause of war that you mention above? I wasn't aware it could be ascribed to one thing, but interested to find out more. As I recall from my history lessons wars have been going on longer that prostitution (it was a fun course!), so this cause must be pervasive & good at hiding...

over a year ago

"

I wonder if any of those war fearing anaialation merchants ever considered that world war 2 probably went a long way towards preventing world war 3,

Oh yeah? Like WW1 prevented WW2? Fuck me. Look, we live in a system of society that generates war. It's just an extension of business. Want a world without weapons of mass destruction? Remove the cause of war in the modern world. (Bonus: The cause of war in the modern world is also the cause of poverty, crime, starvation, environmental despoliation and a whole host of other disgusting social problems.)

I must be being dumb tonight, what is this cause of war that you mention above? I wasn't aware it could be ascribed to one thing, but interested to find out more. As I recall from my history lessons wars have been going on longer that prostitution (it was a fun course!), so this cause must be pervasive & good at hiding..."

The correct answer is: human nature. But I'm expecting either: religion, the 1% or Margaret Thatcher.

By *ethnmelvCouple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

"

I must be being dumb tonight, what is this cause of war that you mention above? I wasn't aware it could be ascribed to one thing, but interested to find out more. As I recall from my history lessons wars have been going on longer that prostitution (it was a fun course!), so this cause must be pervasive & good at hiding...

The correct answer is: human nature. But I'm expecting either: religion, the 1% or Margaret Thatcher."

I remember well that Helen of Troy was actually Maggie! ; )

over a year ago

"

The correct answer is: human nature. But I'm expecting either: religion, the 1% or Margaret Thatcher.

I remember well that Helen of Troy was actually Maggie! ; )"

Well Maggie was just the reincarnation of Helen of Troy but six of one and half a dozen of the other

over a year ago

Good to stand up for Wat u blieve bt u Dnt need to stand up for Wat others believe .!!!!!! The world is made and nukes keep sum order

Post new Message to Thread