Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Knighthood for Muhammad ali

Jump to newest

By *cduck and Blue eyes OP   Couple
over a year ago

nr chester

I have just heard on the radio that David haye has started a campaign and petition to get Muhammad Ali a knighthood when he is over here visiting next, he says as Ali is so poorly it would be a fitting thing to do for someone who is and has been a sporting hero to so many, as he says the are many in films and directing and other sports that have had knighthoods, so why not Ali, i have signed as I agree with all David haye has said, would you sign? If so what would you're reasons be and if not same question, Mrs cmy

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don't get the whole knighthood thing, personally. There are amazing people in the world who have contributed so much, and yet you knight athletes and celebrities. I just feel like it doesn't really mean anything other than "you're popular, good on you!"

-Courtney

over a year ago

Yeah why not, the guy is sporting legend

over a year ago

Non British citizens cannot receive a Knighthood, so a non starter. However there are awards that non-Brits can receive so maybe that would be appropriate

over a year ago

Can Americans be knighted?

over a year ago

Those pesky foreigners coming over here and taking our meaningless antiquated titles....

By *cduck and Blue eyes OP   Couple
over a year ago

nr chester

Yep non British citizens can have an honorary knighthood there are many Americans that have these

over a year ago

Is he a British National then? I didn't know that...I thought he was an American.

(British Knighthoods can only be conferred on those who are British - not if you are of any other nationality....)

over a year ago

It's easy to loose sight of some of the bigoted racist behaviour Ali himself engaged in during his fight career.... .....

I like and admire Ali, but he is not always been the perfect sportsman or the perfect ambassador for racial equality or civil rights campaigning .....

By *allipygousMan
over a year ago

Leicester

"Can Americans be knighted? "

Only if they drive a talking Pontiac Trans Am

over a year ago

No, Australians can as the queen is still the head of state but non Brits cant be knighted.

Courtney, the whole knighting thing is usually 'for services to...' It is intended to recognise someone who raises the profile of Britain in a positive and affirmative manner, not just actors or sports people but business people, charity workers, etc. Anyone from any walk of life can be knighted, their work just needs to have been recognised

By *oward1978Man
over a year ago

Rotherham

I guess he can be given an honorary knighthood. A few non-Brits have received one.

The honour kind of loses its significance for me though when they start dishing them out to bankers and the like. It would mean a lot more if they started giving them out to the truly worthy.

over a year ago

"It's easy to loose sight of some of the bigoted racist behaviour Ali himself engaged in during his fight career.... .....

I like and admire Ali, but he is not always been the perfect sportsman or the perfect ambassador for racial equality or civil rights campaigning ..... "

Very true, he certainly never held back on his views

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

Actually anyone can be knighted but only what used to be called 'Crown Subjects' can use the title that may come with it. For example Bob Geldof was knighted for his BandAid work but, being Irish, he is still officially just Mr. Geldof,KBE. On the other hand Elton John, also nighted, is officially Sir Elton Hercules John,CBE.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Is this being awarded for living long enough to have come back into fashion again?

over a year ago

"I don't get the whole knighthood thing, personally. There are amazing people in the world who have contributed so much, and yet you knight athletes and celebrities. I just feel like it doesn't really mean anything other than "you're popular, good on you!"

-Courtney "

Very true but there is genuine recipients who get lost by the celebrity bullshit.

Watch "UK News : Yachtsman Pete Goss Rescue (1997)" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/HofDhy2x7mE.

A real life above and beyond type of person

By *aneandpaulCouple
over a year ago

cleveleys

Why do they want to knight him he chanced is religion so he could keep out the army if you all can remember

over a year ago

In fact if you ever feel the need to be inspired, I highly recommend his book "close to the wind".

Anyone who's ever sailed will tell you the last place you ever want to track back into a storm is the southern ocean, I think going back while having a chance in a life time to win!! That just takes something else

over a year ago

"It's easy to loose sight of some of the bigoted racist behaviour Ali himself engaged in during his fight career.... .....

I like and admire Ali, but he is not always been the perfect sportsman or the perfect ambassador for racial equality or civil rights campaigning ..... "

I totally agree some of his comments aimed towards Joe Frazier would land him in big trouble if spoken today.

Banter and winding people up is all part of a build up to any fight but he went too far.

He was a great sportsman nobody can deny that but not a great role model imo.

over a year ago

"Why do they want to knight him he chanced is religion so he could keep out the army if you all can remember "

So not wanting to be in the army is a reason not to knight people? Id have thought that not wanting to kill people is pretty high on the criteria for nations recognition

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Non Brits can have an honourary knighthood, but can only put KBE or what ever the title is after their name. They can't call themselves Sir.

The late Sir Terry Wogan was able to call himself thus after he gained dual citizenship

By *aneandpaulCouple
over a year ago

cleveleys

[Removed by poster at 23/02/16 11:01:14]

over a year ago

"2nd Para had 4 months holiday 1982 in the Falklands even gave me a medal for it proud to wear every November when i bow my head and shed a tear for all that was there"

I'm not quite seeing what that has got to do with David Hayes campaigning for Mohamed Ali to be knighted?

over a year ago

A Knighthood is a living order that ceases upon the death of its recipient .....

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"2nd Para had 4 months holiday 1982 in the Falklands even gave me a medal for it proud to wear every November when i bow my head and shed a tear for all that was there

I'm not quite seeing what that has got to do with David Hayes campaigning for Mohamed Ali to be knighted?"

I wondered the same

over a year ago

Hayes is just self-publicising. And the honours system is a joke, giving Ali a knighthood would be meaningless

By *atcoupleCouple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"Non British citizens cannot receive a Knighthood, so a non starter. However there are awards that non-Brits can receive so maybe that would be appropriate "

Correct

over a year ago

"Hayes is just self-publicising. And the honours system is a joke, giving Ali a knighthood would be meaningless"

Yes it's a joke like the knighthood given to the doctor who saved Pauline cafferkey twice at the royal free... Ridiculous

over a year ago

I think the honours system is fairly harmless way to recognise individuals who make a significant contributions to national life ..... and I think anyone who allows themselves to get bent out of shape because it ought to consider the merits of positive reinforcement and the benefits of heralding human decency within society,,,

Of course there will always be more deserving recipients who are overlooked....... but that's where we can all play our part by nominating those we feel deserve praise,,,,

But I kinda guess some people would much rather have a good old moan instead....

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

Yes, they can have an " honourary" knighthood .

over a year ago

I personally think they hand out knighthoods and mbe's n things willy nilly....just because of whay they have achieved in sport or television. It's became a bit insignificant on who recieves them. Personally I wd say no as I can't for the life of me think what Muhammad Ali has done outside his sport. Feel free to prove me wrong x

over a year ago

"I think the honours system is fairly harmless way to recognise individuals who make a significant contributions to national life ..... and I think anyone who allows themselves to get bent out of shape because it ought to consider the merits of positive reinforcement and the benefits of heralding human decency within society,,,

Of course there will always be more deserving recipients who are overlooked....... but that's where we can all play our part by nominating those we feel deserve praise,,,,

But I kinda guess some people would much rather have a good old moan instead.... "

My moan about knighthoods was shorter than this moan about moaning.

By *allipygousMan
over a year ago

Leicester

"Why do they want to knight him he chanced is religion so he could keep out the army if you all can remember "

He changed his religion because he believed Islam had more to offer him then Christianity.

He refused to join the US army because he didn't want to kill people who had done him no harm and weren't a threat to him, for the government of a country that treated him and his kind as second class citizens, if they were lucky.

By *a petite madameWoman
over a year ago

London / Essex

"Non British citizens cannot receive a Knighthood, so a non starter. However there are awards that non-Brits can receive so maybe that would be appropriate "

Commonwealth citizen from countries which still have the Queen as head of state can receive knighthoods.

over a year ago

"I think the honours system is fairly harmless way to recognise individuals who make a significant contributions to national life ..... and I think anyone who allows themselves to get bent out of shape because it ought to consider the merits of positive reinforcement and the benefits of heralding human decency within society,,,

But I kinda guess some people would much rather have a good old moan instead....

My moan about knighthoods was shorter than this moan about moaning. "

Ah but sometimes a shorter moan means so much more.....

Because I've noticed some guys think a comically loud moan as they ejaculate doesn't make them sound really-really silly.......

over a year ago

My moan about knighthoods was shorter than this moan about moaning.

Ah but sometimes a shorter moan means so much more.....

Because I've noticed some guys think a comically loud moan as they ejaculate doesn't make them sound really-really silly....... "

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

there is absolutely nothing wrong with chosing not to be in the armed forces.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"I have just heard on the radio that David haye has started a campaign and petition to get Muhammad Ali a knighthood when he is over here visiting next, he says as Ali is so poorly it would be a fitting thing to do for someone who is and has been a sporting hero to so many, as he says the are many in films and directing and other sports that have had knighthoods, so why not Ali, i have signed as I agree with all David haye has said, would you sign? If so what would you're reasons be and if not same question, Mrs cmy "

Really! And you support this tripe and want others to do so too! We dont give gongs to people just because they addled their brain in a boxing ring playing rope-a-dope and have now transformed into an old dope barely able to stand!

To be clear Knighthoods and other awards are given by the Crown (State) to BRITISH people (and in exeptional circumstances to forigners) in recognition of their outstanding services to the British people, Britain or British lead endeavour.

Caisus Clay (his original name) is a US citizen who was stripped of his world titles and jailed for refusing to serve his country when called to do so in the 60's. Not my idea of a roll model we want our children to emulate. Further all his achievements have been US achievements, I for one do not know of a single British world challenging or changing achievement that he was instrumental bringing about (whereas Sir Bob Geldorf got his gong for LiveAid).

Please people DO NOT sign up to this.

over a year ago

"I personally think they hand out knighthoods and mbe's n things willy nilly....just because of whay they have achieved in sport or television. It's became a bit insignificant on who recieves them. Personally I wd say no as I can't for the life of me think what Muhammad Ali has done outside his sport. Feel free to prove me wrong x"

That's just the few celebrity ones you see in the papers.

I posted earlier on about Pete goss who received an MBE and a legion of honor, feel free to look at the YouTube link I posted, or the doctor in the royal free who treated Pauline cafferkey twice suffering from ebola!

over a year ago

"Why do they want to knight him he chanced is religion so he could keep out the army if you all can remember

there is absolutely nothing wrong with chosing not to be in the armed forces."

Did you refrain from a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage!.

By *atcoupleCouple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"I have just heard on the radio that David haye has started a campaign and petition to get Muhammad Ali a knighthood when he is over here visiting next, he says as Ali is so poorly it would be a fitting thing to do for someone who is and has been a sporting hero to so many, as he says the are many in films and directing and other sports that have had knighthoods, so why not Ali, i have signed as I agree with all David haye has said, would you sign? If so what would you're reasons be and if not same question, Mrs cmy

Really! And you support this tripe and want others to do so too! We dont give gongs to people just because they addled their brain in a boxing ring playing rope-a-dope and have now transformed into an old dope barely able to stand!

To be clear Knighthoods and other awards are given by the Crown (State) to BRITISH people (and in exeptional circumstances to forigners) in recognition of their outstanding services to the British people, Britain or British lead endeavour.

Caisus Clay (his original name) is a US citizen who was stripped of his world titles and jailed for refusing to serve his country when called to do so in the 60's. Not my idea of a roll model we want our children to emulate. Further all his achievements have been US achievements, I for one do not know of a single British world challenging or changing achievement that he was instrumental bringing about (whereas Sir Bob Geldorf got his gong for LiveAid).

Please people DO NOT sign up to this."

Good response

over a year ago

"I have just heard on the radio that David haye has started a campaign and petition to get Muhammad Ali a knighthood when he is over here visiting next, he says as Ali is so poorly it would be a fitting thing to do for someone who is and has been a sporting hero to so many, as he says the are many in films and directing and other sports that have had knighthoods, so why not Ali, i have signed as I agree with all David haye has said, would you sign? If so what would you're reasons be and if not same question, Mrs cmy

Please people DO NOT sign up to this."

I'll go and sign it now - thanks anyway

By *verysmileMan
over a year ago

CANTERBURY

"Why do they want to knight him he chanced is religion so he could keep out the army if you all can remember

there is absolutely nothing wrong with chosing not to be in the armed forces..

Did you refrain from a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage!."

Oh how I wish.............

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"I personally think they hand out knighthoods and mbe's n things willy nilly....just because of whay they have achieved in sport or television. It's became a bit insignificant on who recieves them. Personally I wd say no as I can't for the life of me think what Muhammad Ali has done outside his sport. Feel free to prove me wrong x.

That's just the few celebrity ones you see in the papers.

I posted earlier on about Pete goss who received an MBE and a legion of honor, feel free to look at the YouTube link I posted, or the doctor in the royal free who treated Pauline cafferkey twice suffering from ebola!"

I don't always agree with you but on this occasion, 'well said'.

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

Did you refrain from a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage!."

what cage?

By *illbillMan
over a year ago

dublin

Is he a sex offender....i thought titles where just for them

over a year ago

Did you refrain from a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage!.

what cage?"

Not a pink Floyd fan then .

Sometimes it's good to exchange a small part in a war for a lead role in a cage!.

By *mstillere2Man
over a year ago

middleport

I need the full details of the creators of fab then so i can nominate them for a knighthood done more for me than anyone whos is only known for his violence could ever do

Post new Message to Thread