Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Any doctors in the house

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

My mother had a bypass in December and now has brain damage! Is there anything I can do to stop it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

*just found my line.

Dude I feel for you and hope that you find help for her

over a year ago

What kind of bypass?

over a year ago

A triple heart bypass

over a year ago

You have my sympathies, but go to the doctor or hospital. They'll actually be able to help practically, as opposed to people on an internet forum.

over a year ago

How did the bypass lead to brain damage?

over a year ago

I'm sorry, what are you trying to stop?

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

You won't know unless you speak with a medical professional.

You need to find out;

1. What caused / is causing the damage

2. What sort of brain damage ( what is it affecting)

3. Is the existing damage repairable or not?

4. Can the cause be stopped, reversed or mitigated?

5. If not, what are the strategies to deal with it?

Only an expert can say, and even they will take time to understand it.

over a year ago

Seek professional opinions from people qualified in the correct field i would say.

hope you find the best possible outcome

over a year ago

Speak to a doctor not a load of people on a swinging forum who know next to nothing about brain damage,bypasses or your mother

over a year ago

Brain damage caused by heart bypass??

And if there is already damage it can't be stopped.

Anyway as others have said this isn't the place for this kind of post sorry op.

over a year ago

The vast majority of brain damage is there to stay, very much depends on the exact cause and associated odeama etc. On occasions long and slow neuro rehab is an option, but again this varies between every individual. Beyond that receiving very good long term care can help, take a look at NHS Continuing Healthcare on the NHS England Web site.

Good luck x

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Might be caused by lack of oxygen but it's better you talk to the hospital

over a year ago

The stuff that clogs your arteries has gon to her brain at some point of the operation. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to help her or knows if there is a way of slowing the damage caused.

over a year ago

"The stuff that clogs your arteries has gon to her brain at some point of the operation. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to help her or knows if there is a way of slowing the damage caused."

Does she not have a GP, or access to a doctor's surgery or hospital?!

over a year ago

Thank for the advice everyone

over a year ago

Dislodged plaque emboli will have been explained as a risk of the original surgery in the consent form

Priority here is to get your mother medical care. Nothing non-medical personnel can do to treat or limit brain damage.

over a year ago

No one has the right to give advice on here without being a Personal doctor of ths lady and given the history of this Lady.I don't know why this is posted on a swinging site.

over a year ago

Send her on a trip to the Caribbean.

over a year ago

"No one has the right to give advice on here without being a Personal doctor of ths lady and given the history of this Lady.I don't know why this is posted on a swinging site.

"

You are posting/replying in the wrong place, if you think people cannot post anything other than swinging related subjects. Everyone on here has a 'right' to reply appropriately as they feel they are able.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I would seriously get professional advice from a doctor who knows her. The internet should not be used for such serious medical advice. The Internet is a haven for those who think they know everything medical speak to her doctor. I wish you well though and sounds like you are going through a rough time. Xx

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"I would seriously get professional advice from a doctor who knows her. The internet should not be used for such serious medical advice. The Internet is a haven for those who think they know everything medical speak to her doctor. I wish you well though and sounds like you are going through a rough time. Xx "

However this place is great for support and what not. I love it here

over a year ago

"No one has the right to give advice on here without being a Personal doctor of ths lady and given the history of this Lady.I don't know why this is posted on a swinging site.

You are posting/replying in the wrong place, if you think people cannot post anything other than swinging related subjects. Everyone on here has a 'right' to reply appropriately as they feel they are able."

Something as serious as this requires professional medical advice from the Health service not swingers....im sad you have belittled such a subject.

over a year ago

I'm now belittling this I'm asking advice as some people on here are medical professionals. It's like asking about slimming world is that swinging. Thank to the people with a caring nature who Do offer advice

over a year ago

You are posting/replying in the wrong place, if you think people cannot post anything other than swinging related subjects. Everyone on here has a 'right' to reply appropriately as they feel they are able.

Something as serious as this requires professional medical advice from the Health service not swingers....im sad you have belittled such a subject."

Nowhere is my reply did I 'belittle' the subject. That was totally inappropriate comment, and unjustified. I was pointing out that you felt you could dictate what could and could not be discussed on a 'singing site', and that you were out of order, in my opinion.

over a year ago

*swinging, not singing site*

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"I'm now belittling this I'm asking advice as some people on here are medical professionals. It's like asking about slimming world is that swinging. Thank to the people with a caring nature who Do offer advice"

But no one on here has access to her medical records etc. therefore cannot offer professional advice.

Slimming World is not as serious as this.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"I'm now belittling this I'm asking advice as some people on here are medical professionals. It's like asking about slimming world is that swinging. Thank to the people with a caring nature who Do offer advice"

To be fair mate, it is the internet, people can be whoever they want to be and google the answers for you, even wrong ones.

Get advice from your mums Doctors would be my advice.

over a year ago

You need to speak to her consultant asap. If you feel you are not getting anywhere or there may have been a lack of nursing care then contact PALS on site at the hospital.

Good luck, it's a scary & confusing time x

over a year ago

I understand that this is not the place to discuss this,but I'm struggling to get answers from the doctors and I'm at my wits end and thought some people could suggest what steps and questions I should be asking.

over a year ago

Only doctors with personal experience with this lady can help....Not medically trained Swingers who have no idea of the complex facts of this woman

over a year ago

You really do need to speak to the appropriate health professionals regarding this issue. No health professional should give you information using this medium, risking their registration, your mother's health and all professional credibility. Surely as a reasonable adult you can see that.

over a year ago

As RoxiAnn previously said. If you are struggling to effectively communicate with the medical staff, PALS (patient advice liason service), are there to help to support you, and help get the answers you seek, without temper or confrontation. They can be very effective and very supportive. There should be one in every hospital.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"I understand that this is not the place to discuss this,but I'm struggling to get answers from the doctors and I'm at my wits end and thought some people could suggest what steps and questions I should be asking. "

You can discuss what you want to be honest,just be wary that all the "Doctors" on here may not really be one.

I can understand you being worried though so maybe make another appointment with the Docs and take someone with you so they can write down the answers and maybe prepare a list of questions to ask them

over a year ago

Something as serious as this requires professional medical advice from the Health service not swingers....im sad you have belittled such a subject.

Nowhere is my reply did I 'belittle' the subject. That was totally inappropriate comment, and unjustified. I was pointing out that you felt you could dictate what could and could not be discussed on a 'singing site', and that you were out of order, in my opinion."

Actually you can dictate who has the right to comment on such things ....should we ask a plumber.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"I understand that this is not the place to discuss this,but I'm struggling to get answers from the doctors and I'm at my wits end and thought some people could suggest what steps and questions I should be asking. "

If you think they've been negligent look for a free half hour consultation with a suitable lawyer.

over a year ago

"Only doctors with personal experience with this lady can help....Not medically trained Swingers who have no idea of the complex facts of this woman"

But he has gained some support and advice, that may prove useful, ie using PALS, to help get over the communication barrier he seems to be struggling with.

By *artytwoCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"Send her on a trip to the Caribbean."

Jamaica?

Seriously, this not the place for this. Totally inappropriate to ask a question like that on here. If OP is in the forces as pic would suggest then ask your CMO.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/02/16 21:42:09]

over a year ago

Nowhere is my reply did I 'belittle' the subject. That was totally inappropriate comment, and unjustified. I was pointing out that you felt you could dictate what could and could not be discussed on a 'singing site', and that you were out of order, in my opinion.

Actually you can dictate who has the right to comment on such things ....should we ask a plumber. "

Well take your right to dictate to admin, I'm sure they will find your supportive posts very favourably. You may even get a little gold star to pin on your shirt.

over a year ago

"Send her on a trip to the Caribbean.

Jamaica?

Seriously, this not the place for this. Totally inappropriate to ask a question like that on here. If OP is in the forces as pic would suggest then ask your CMO."

This is an intelligent option ......

over a year ago

Actually you can dictate who has the right to comment on such things ....should we ask a plumber.

Well take your right to dictate to admin, I'm sure they will find your supportive posts very favourably. You may even get a little gold star to pin on your shirt."

I suppose a shags out of the question .

over a year ago

"Only doctors with personal experience with this lady can help....Not medically trained Swingers who have no idea of the complex facts of this woman

But he has gained some support and advice, that may prove useful, ie using PALS, to help get over the communication barrier he seems to be struggling with."

Exactly this ^^

Nothing wrong in trying to steer someone in the right direction though is there?

over a year ago

As we have previously blocked each other, I would assume hell might freeze over first

over a year ago

"As we have previously blocked each other, I would assume hell might freeze over first "

I dont know about that ....ive been to hell and the Antarctic melts from time to time . x

over a year ago

"Send her on a trip to the Caribbean."
What a horrible thing to say, shame on you!

over a year ago

I really don't think this is the place for this. I'm sorry for you situation op but please speak to her surgeons.

over a year ago

"Send her on a trip to the Caribbean.What a horrible thing to say, shame on you!"

Horrific advice!!!!

over a year ago

"Send her on a trip to the Caribbean.What a horrible thing to say, shame on you!

Horrific advice!!!!"

According to some members anyone can offer advice as we cant dictate who does or doesn't.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/02/16 22:01:05]

over a year ago

I do think your real need may be to discuss your feelings about your mother's condition.

Private message me if you like.

over a year ago

"Only doctors with personal experience with this lady can help....Not medically trained Swingers who have no idea of the complex facts of this woman"

Not true, there has been consistent and helpful advice given in this thread, I don't know the OP's motivation, but I am sure that the consistent advice to seek personal medical and support assistance from his mother's doctors and use the pal's service to help translate will be appreciated, even if it comes from a plumber.

over a year ago

"Only doctors with personal experience with this lady can help....Not medically trained Swingers who have no idea of the complex facts of this woman

Not true, there has been consistent and helpful advice given in this thread, I don't know the OP's motivation, but I am sure that the consistent advice to seek personal medical and support assistance from his mother's doctors and use the pal's service to help translate will be appreciated, even if it comes from a plumber."

The op is reading all of this I'm sure and the help and advice may help but my point is that its a very complex situation which should be precisely advised by the medical profession and there is not a plumber on here that has posted so far offering advice ending there post as " Bob the Plumber "

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I thought Bob was the builder

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"I really don't think this is the place for this. I'm sorry for you situation op but please speak to her surgeons."

He is doing

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

He is talking to doctors but finding the information he wants is not forthcoming.

over a year ago

Not true, there has been consistent and helpful advice given in this thread, I don't know the OP's motivation, but I am sure that the consistent advice to seek personal medical and support assistance from his mother's doctors and use the pal's service to help translate will be appreciated, even if it comes from a plumber.

The op is reading all of this I'm sure and the help and advice may help but my point is that its a very complex situation which should be precisely advised by the medical profession and there is not a plumber on here that has posted so far offering advice ending there post as " Bob the Plumber "

"

Well the actual medical part is obviously complex and should only be answered by his mothers consultant.

What I and others at doing by posting on here is reinforcing that, as well as saying what else he can do if he still doesn't get or understand the answers.

Not everyone's knows the services available to them when it comes to the NHS.

I don't understand why you can't see that side.

over a year ago

"I really don't think this is the place for this. I'm sorry for you situation op but please speak to her surgeons.

He is doing"

Xx

over a year ago

"He is talking to doctors but finding the information he wants is not forthcoming."

I'll inbox. My dad has just had open heart surgery x

over a year ago

Well the actual medical part is obviously complex and should only be answered by his mothers consultant.

What I and others at doing by posting on here is reinforcing that, as well as saying what else he can do if he still doesn't get or understand the answers.

I don't understand why you can't see that side."

I understand that implicitly but advice given by swingers in general and plumbers is futile and that's been my point in all of these threads ...perhaps you missed that.

My original reply was he needed proper medical advice.

over a year ago

"Send her on a trip to the Caribbean.What a horrible thing to say, shame on you!

Horrific advice!!!!"

It's as good as the rest of the advice which was basically speak to the mother's consultant which was stating the bleeding obvious and all that can basically be said in such a situation

By *ntnCleoCouple
over a year ago

Dortmund (Germany) might travel!

I am a doctor, but it's dangerous and irresponsible to give advice without knowing all the intimate medical details. Only your mother's consultant team and GP will be in the position to advise you.

Im really sorry you're struggling to get answers, but you really need to press one of your mum's medical professionals to spend some time with you and explain it all in slow time, answer your questions and address your concerns.

over a year ago

I understand that implicitly but advice given by swingers in general and plumbers is futile and that's been my point in all of these threads ...perhaps you missed that.

My original reply was he needed proper medical advice. "

Yes, but if he doesn't get that, because in my experience of the Nhs it isn't always forthcoming ~ It's handy to know the alternatives which people are advising on.

I totally get your point that medical advice should be sourced from professionals & not random people on a public forum.

Sometimes though, knowing others have had similar problems or even just sharing can be cathartic.

over a year ago

Yes, but if he doesn't get that, because in my experience of the Nhs it isn't always forthcoming ~ It's handy to know the alternatives which people are advising on.

I totally get your point that medical advice should be sourced from professionals & not random people on a public forum.

Sometimes though, knowing others have had similar problems or even just sharing can be cathartic.

"

In fairness the op asked if there was anything he could do to stop it.....

over a year ago

"I am a doctor, but it's dangerous and irresponsible to give advice without knowing all the intimate medical details. Only your mother's consultant team and GP will be in the position to advise you.

Im really sorry you're struggling to get answers, but you really need to press one of your mum's medical professionals to spend some time with you and explain it all in slow time, answer your questions and address your concerns. "

My point exactly

over a year ago

In fairness the op asked if there was anything he could do to stop it..... "

True, but sometimes what people post and what they actually mean can be different. He seems quite happy with responses halfway through the thread.

over a year ago

Good luck to the Op and his mum ...im off to bed.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Brain damage is somewhat complex but there are some simple aspects to think of.

Firstly our brains are able to recover and recovery can occur for the rest of our lives. The flexibility it has to regenerate is known as plasticity - specifically neuroplasticity.

With brain damage there may be brain cells or blood supply damage, or both. Any bleeding is normally seen quickly and treated immediately.

If a brains damaged it will still operate its normal management of life, and cognitive functions like memory, whilst it may also be engaged with repair as well as relearning functionality that has possibly been impaired. This may be hampered somewhat if blood supplying oxygen isn't as effective as it once was.

The additional efforts underway are likely to create fatigue for someone. Lots of rest is important imo.

As our brains/minds are essentially what makes us, any aspects of our behavior, memories and personality may be affected. I think it's important to accept someone as they are now, perhaps doing their best to be, under difficult circumstances. Their limited cognitive skills may limit the extent to which they may recognize how they are.

As we've seen with general mental health, resources post host discharge aren't as good as for physical issues.

Occupational therapists may be available to help with the transition once at home, as well as other services such as from a Neuro Psychologist.

Your GP will be able to best support you and refer you to appropriate services. As others say, information on Fab and the internet isn't your primary support and I'd hate for you to find information that misleads or causes problems.

Feel free to ask me anything op.

By *wosWoman
over a year ago

east london

Hugs

And hugs to her too ... Pretty sure she'll have had follow up appointments .. write stuff down as it occurs to you ,and ask the doctors .. just a bit of infinite patience,the ability to find the funny in horrible situations ... oh n learn to count to 10

over a year ago

Horrific advice!!!!

It's as good as the rest of the advice which was basically speak to the mother's consultant which was stating the bleeding obvious and all that can basically be said in such a situation "

My dad is 10 days post open heart surgery. I've sent my advice via his inbox

over a year ago

True, but sometimes what people post and what they actually mean can be different. He seems quite happy with responses halfway through the thread.

"

Ah....have to be a mind reader now. Got ya. Yes the op did seem happy with the advice even though no one managed to answer the specific question he asked. My attempt at a practical suggestion seems to have offended, not the op but others (I'm not sure how they are connected to the op but it's noble that they take offence on his behalf)...i thought she might like a holiday after all the trauma. I wouldn't know if that feasible because I'm not part of her medical team. Maybe next time i should regurgitate and repeat the same as everyone else so as not to offend.

over a year ago

Ah....have to be a mind reader now. Got ya. Yes the op did seem happy with the advice even though no one managed to answer the specific question he asked. My attempt at a practical suggestion seems to have offended, not the op but others (I'm not sure how they are connected to the op but it's noble that they take offence on his behalf)...i thought she might like a holiday after all the trauma. I wouldn't know if that feasible because I'm not part of her medical team. Maybe next time i should regurgitate and repeat the same as everyone else so as not to offend."

I was trying to read between the lines more than being a mind reader - the same as many other threads on here that I comment on.

I'm pretty sure the majority of us have at some point jumped in on a thread without either reading it or properly reading the OP & also comment in line with other views, sometimes in agreement, sometimes not.

over a year ago

Ah....have to be a mind reader now. Got ya. Yes the op did seem happy with the advice even though no one managed to answer the specific question he asked. My attempt at a practical suggestion seems to have offended, not the op but others (I'm not sure how they are connected to the op but it's noble that they take offence on his behalf)...i thought she might like a holiday after all the trauma. I wouldn't know if that feasible because I'm not part of her medical team. Maybe next time i should regurgitate and repeat the same as everyone else so as not to offend.

I was trying to read between the lines more than being a mind reader - the same as many other threads on here that I comment on.

I'm pretty sure the majority of us have at some point jumped in on a thread without either reading it or properly reading the OP & also comment in line with other views, sometimes in agreement, sometimes not.

"

Yes. There's a lot of that.

Post new Message to Thread