Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Audio books...

Jump to newest

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Does anyone listen to audio books?

I've never done it before but I've just had an email from Amazon for a free trial so I'm gonna give it a go.

The free book is the new Robert Galbraith (JK Rowlings sudonom) and I read the last one and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I quite like the idea of someone reading to me.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Not really, I like to read at my own speed. I think it would annoy me if I had to listen to someone else, and they wouldn't have the right voice for a particular character

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Very good only i used to fall asleep the library used to do them years ago. It is conforting i just need an automatic switch off when my eyes close

By *is_irtygirlWoman
over a year ago

Dublin

Tried it and didnt like it.. my imagination was kinda spoiled in allowing me fall into the book of my own accord... thumbs down from me. Try it and see how you feel

By *oward1978Man
over a year ago

Rotherham

I like them. Great for when you're driving. If I'm at home then I'm more likely to just read the book myself.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Don't think I'd like that. Sometimes I like to go back a few pages for a wee refresher or to try and make sense of what's happening.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i think audio books work much better for biographies than fiction......

i am more of a podcast person then an audiobook person.... but just listening to something interesting on the work commute breaks up the day

over a year ago

Brilliant on long drives, however Macbeth was slightly ruined by TomTom: the tension builds to "Is this a dagger I see before me?; turn left at the roundabout, first exit"!!!

over a year ago

We love audio books.

Usually Marc just has me read books to him while he drives, though. Free labor

-Courtney

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I don't use them but the kids do/did instead of a bedtime story. I get them from The Book People as box sets when I can

over a year ago

"I like them. Great for when you're driving. If I'm at home then I'm more likely to just read the book myself."

Exactly, it's a much more productive way to use driving time... I get through a book a month easily. Trying to do that whilst keeping your eyes on the hardback version is frowned upon...

By *rcticFoxxxWoman
over a year ago

Hereabouts

I tried listening to audio books while walking home every day but I kept getting distracted by my own thoughts and missed what was going on. I got one for free that I already had the book of, so I listened to it while reading it instead I think it was the Lord of the rings and it was just too wordy to listen to without getting distracted.

over a year ago

There used to be a programme at night when I was a kid...can't remember for the life of me what it was called but that was basically folk reciting stories..I'd turn all the screen settings down on my telly so it was dark and fall asleep listening to it when it was on sometimes..

cheapskate I know

over a year ago

"I tried listening to audio books while walking home every day but I kept getting distracted by my own thoughts and missed what was going on. I got one for free that I already had the book of, so I listened to it while reading it instead I think it was the Lord of the rings and it was just too wordy to listen to without getting distracted. "

I thought women were supposed to multi-task???

over a year ago

"Does anyone listen to audio books?

I've never done it before but I've just had an email from Amazon for a free trial so I'm gonna give it a go.

The free book is the new Robert Galbraith (JK Rowlings sudonom) and I read the last one and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I quite like the idea of someone reading to me. "

I'd the a fifty shades version?

By *rcticFoxxxWoman
over a year ago

Hereabouts

"I tried listening to audio books while walking home every day but I kept getting distracted by my own thoughts and missed what was going on. I got one for free that I already had the book of, so I listened to it while reading it instead I think it was the Lord of the rings and it was just too wordy to listen to without getting distracted.

I thought women were supposed to multi-task??? "

I have the attention span of a goldfish

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/02/16 03:45:02]

over a year ago

"I tried listening to audio books while walking home every day but I kept getting distracted by my own thoughts and missed what was going on. I got one for free that I already had the book of, so I listened to it while reading it instead I think it was the Lord of the rings and it was just too wordy to listen to without getting distracted.

I have the attention span of a goldfish"

Excellent..I'll show you my cock again

over a year ago

I have the attention span of a goldfish"

Don't worry, multi-tasking is biologically impossible, points for being honest

over a year ago

I can't break the thought process that they're the type of thing my gran would use.

But having listened to the War of the world's, which admittedly had a musical score, I was enthralled but then again....Richard Burton's amazing voice read it.

And that's the crux of it...the voice and accent reading it.

over a year ago

"There used to be a programme at night when I was a kid...can't remember for the life of me what it was called but that was basically folk reciting stories..I'd turn all the screen settings down on my telly so it was dark and fall asleep listening to it when it was on sometimes..

cheapskate I know "

Jackanory?

over a year ago

"There used to be a programme at night when I was a kid...can't remember for the life of me what it was called but that was basically folk reciting stories..I'd turn all the screen settings down on my telly so it was dark and fall asleep listening to it when it was on sometimes..

cheapskate I know "

Jackanory?

over a year ago

(If I hadn't been reading the Wikipedia page, I might just have gotten that in first!)

over a year ago

"(If I hadn't been reading the Wikipedia page, I might just have gotten that in first!)"

Was I right? That's a nice change. x

By *VineMan
over a year ago

The right place

Very good on long drives. I like reading for myself when I'm not driving.

The Martian was an enjoyable audiobook.

over a year ago

I think we were right! I can't think of anything else that was like that at the time.

over a year ago

Really enjoy audio books. Find they relax me. Listening to Sense and Sensibility on and off at the moment.

Sarah

By *FuckWellMan
over a year ago

Coventry

I'm planning to do the same. You can use your time when doing mundane tasks (e.g. commuting, cleaning, etc. )

Let us know if you like it

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I don't know if I'm liking it or not. I think the voice is probably quite important and I'm not sure I really like this blokes chatter. It might grow on me.

Today I shall read a proper book cause I can. I don't have a kindle cause I like a proper book but I thought it might be quite nice having someone read to me. I'll keep you posted.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Radio 4 has some stories or book excerpts read and I can enjoy them on drives.

Overall I think that a full book with one narrator may drag too much for me.

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Yeah I'd like it if you could pick the book then choose the narrator! I could have Simon Mayo in my bed every night!

By *he Ant Hill MobMan
over a year ago

Norwich

I use Audible on and off - I tend however to by book destinations

Or

BBC comedy they are great to listen to on journeys.

I have only fools and horses/ one foot in the grave/ blackadder/ porridge .

They have me in hysterics.

Oh forgot to put I ripped The Inbetweeners to mp3 just so I could listen to it in the car.

Bus Wankers

over a year ago

I just listened to WWZ its good and better than the film

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Does anyone listen to audio books?

I quite like the idea of someone reading to me. "

Go for it. I seldom find time to read so I use them when i'm :- ironing, driving, babysitting. Anytime i'm confined but can listen. Walking is another one.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I don't know if I'm liking it or not. I think the voice is probably quite important and I'm not sure I really like this blokes chatter. It might grow on me.

Today I shall read a proper book cause I can. I don't have a kindle cause I like a proper book but I thought it might be quite nice having someone read to me. I'll keep you posted. "

I can't remember the book now but I was supposed to read it for a book club and couldn't get into it. When I got it audible to catch up .... it was FAB!!! the bloke who read it had exactly the right voice..... I remember now. It was Catcher in the Rye.

By *leepyangelCouple
over a year ago

over the hill and far away

I use audiobooks all of the time whilst I'm driving and feel more relaxed than listening to some of the drivel which is played on the radio. God! I'm sounding like an old woman!!!!

Just listening to 'After You' by jo jo moyes. It's fab x

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I don't think I like it.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i think thats what i am more a podcast person... because they tend to be shorter and be on subjects i have some interest in, so you kinda forget the voice, and listen more to the opinions....

over a year ago

I've never really tried one to see how I get on them but I looked last night to see if I could get the Discworld collection and they are friggin' expensive!

By *iverpool LoverMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"I've never really tried one to see how I get on them but I looked last night to see if I could get the Discworld collection and they are friggin' expensive!"

most of them are on you tube. ..just type in disc world audio books.

and if you need it on mp3 format just use a you tube to mp3 convertor.

Works a treat.

although I couldnt get into the discworld audio books because having read the books and having the voices from certain characters in the book in my imaginary mind already it just felt a bit off.

I did listen to a good horror audio book though along the lines of the walking dead, a future apocalyptic world with zombies....with a twist called "the last bastion of the living"

really enjoyed that one its on you tube in 12 1 hour parts. So I would listen to an hour in bed each night.

over a year ago

"I've never really tried one to see how I get on them but I looked last night to see if I could get the Discworld collection and they are friggin' expensive!"

I've got the lot (I think) on audio book, the ones read by Nigel planner are fantastic, but as the other poster said if read before you have your own voices in your head.

I used to drive a lot for work so I listened to loads of audio books, and although you'll never beat reading a book I love listening to someone else read them especially if you get someone who puts effort into the voices.

I'm also a massive fan of big finish audio plays (mainly dr who).

Post new Message to Thread