Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sad reminders hurt

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

My dad died 2 weeks ago. It still feels so surreal, that he's no longer here, that I'll never chat to him again.

But every couple of days, I get a 'Google plus' reminder asking if I know *dad's name*. Does anyone out there know how I can disable this?

Also, what do I do with his old texts to me? Do I keep them? I keep reading them. What would you do? Feel so sad.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

sorry for your loss.

I would keep the texts

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"My dad died 2 weeks ago. It still feels so surreal, that he's no longer here, that I'll never chat to him again.

But every couple of days, I get a 'Google plus' reminder asking if I know *dad's name*. Does anyone out there know how I can disable this?

Also, what do I do with his old texts to me? Do I keep them? I keep reading them. What would you do? Feel so sad."

My dad died 10 years ago at the end of this month, for a few years my mum paid his phone bill so we could ring up his phone and listen to the voicemail message.

It never gets easier but your heart does heal, albeit slightly differently to how it was before.

over a year ago

"sorry for your loss.

I would keep the texts "

I echo these sentiments .....

over a year ago

"My dad died 2 weeks ago. It still feels so surreal, that he's no longer here, that I'll never chat to him again.

Also, what do I do with his old texts to me? Do I keep them? I keep reading them. What would you do? Feel so sad.

My dad died 10 years ago at the end of this month, for a few years my mum paid his phone bill so we could ring up his phone and listen to the voicemail message.

It never gets easier but your heart does heal, albeit slightly differently to how it was before."

Oh hun you were so young. That's cruel. Big hug. X

over a year ago

Don't make any big decisions just yet, give yourself some time. Very sorry for you, also been there but thankfully pre internet! Hope you manage to sort the google thing out.

over a year ago

Don't get rid of anything until you're absolutely sure you don't want them. It will hurt less as time goes on but feeling upset when you get a reminder is normal and still happens to me 20 years after my dad passed away.

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

[Removed by poster at 18/02/16 19:24:08]

over a year ago

Sorry for your loss.

I hope you find a resolution to Google+.

Take your time with the texts and anything similar. You will know when it's the right time.

A virtual hug to you.

over a year ago

It never gets easier but your heart does heal, albeit slightly differently to how it was before.Oh hun you were so young. That's cruel. Big hug. X"

I was young but I had the most wonderful father for 12 years of my life who loved me and my wonderful mother more than anything else in the world. There are people out there that don't have parents like that and they're the ones I feel sad for!

In time you will remember the happy moments you shared and be able to smile, just take each day as it comes.

over a year ago

"Don't make any big decisions just yet, give yourself some time. Very sorry for you, also been there but thankfully pre internet! Hope you manage to sort the google thing out. "
Thankyou, I will keep them for a good while.

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

So sorry your Dad passed away. It is very hard when you lose someone.

We lost a young friend at Xmas and two years ago this week we were in Mexico together so all the reminders are popping up on Faceache. The photos we shared and the messages will never be removed.

Texts and instant messages just help to remind me how special he was.. Just keep everything for now and when you feel able you can look re read and think about him.

over a year ago

"Don't get rid of anything until you're absolutely sure you don't want them. It will hurt less as time goes on but feeling upset when you get a reminder is normal and still happens to me 20 years after my dad passed away. "
I won't, and thankyou x

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman
over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

Hold on to every memory you can (((big hugs)))

over a year ago

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Keep the texts, at least for now. They are a reminder of your Dad. Just take one day at a time and do what feels right for you.

Sarah

over a year ago

Sorry for your loss x

Keep the texts for now.. You will know what to do on time

over a year ago

It never gets easier but your heart does heal, albeit slightly differently to how it was before.Oh hun you were so young. That's cruel. Big hug. X

I was young but I had the most wonderful father for 12 years of my life who loved me and my wonderful mother more than anything else in the world. There are people out there that don't have parents like that and they're the ones I feel sad for!

In time you will remember the happy moments you shared and be able to smile, just take each day as it comes. "

That's lovely, so lovely x

over a year ago

"Sorry for your loss x

Keep the texts for now.. You will know what to do on time "

In time *

over a year ago

Sorry for your loss, I was only 11 when my dad died, never really got to know him

By *cduck and Blue eyesCouple
over a year ago

nr chester

Also, what do I do with his old texts to me? Do I keep them? I keep reading them. What would you do? Feel so sad."

. I lost my brother 4 yrs ago in March and I lost my dad on Dec 17 th, i still go on my brothers fb and leave him msgs I know it sounds odd but it helps and I have videos of my dad on my phone that I watch over but it all helps, the sadness will ease and then you will see something in the msgs that makes you smile and you will know that day that things are getting easier, life will be fine again it will just be different, so so sorry for the loss of your dad but truly just take each day as it comes, aj, Mrs cmy

over a year ago

i lost my dad then my partner within 6 months of each other it be a year in April for my partner ive still got his name in my phone and all his things its hard but you will get there keep your dads texts they will bring you comfort hugs so sorry for your loss

over a year ago

"Sorry to hear of your loss.

Keep the texts, at least for now. They are a reminder of your Dad. Just take one day at a time and do what feels right for you.

Sarah"

Thankyou Sarah, means a lot xx

over a year ago

You've no dealt heard it a million times already but....focus on the positives of his life. He made you the bloke you are today....I bet his proud also.

Theirs certain traits of him in you,his never fully gone mate.

Thoughts are with you.

over a year ago

Big virtual hug x

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

Also, what do I do with his old texts to me? Do I keep them? I keep reading them. What would you do? Feel so sad.. I lost my brother 4 yrs ago in March and I lost my dad on Dec 17 th, i still go on my brothers fb and leave him msgs I know it sounds odd but it helps and I have videos of my dad on my phone that I watch over but it all helps, the sadness will ease and then you will see something in the msgs that makes you smile and you will know that day that things are getting easier, life will be fine again it will just be different, so so sorry for the loss of your dad but truly just take each day as it comes, aj, Mrs cmy "

I Have just passed some videos we took on holiday to my friends brother.. He was so happy yet sad. It is good to hear him talking watch him swim and laugh even tho he has gone. He was only 38 a very unexpected passing.

By *ittle Pocket PerveWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

My brother sent me a WhatsApp happy birthday song, he passed away last Christmas, I have kept it and I still listen to it when I miss him or just want reassuring. Keep them til you're ready to decide with a clear head...

over a year ago

That's got to be rough - my sympathies.

I'm pretty sure a year or two ago certain legislation was brought out to help in such occurrences (sorry, I cba to Google Fu).

I would contact whatever site (even if it's Google or Facebook) and tell them to be honest. They might even be helpful for once.

over a year ago

so sorry Draw strength from those around you

over a year ago

I'm so sorry OP.

My dad died a few years ago in February. I kept some of the e-mails he sent to me and I like reading them around this time of year (which I've been doing the past few days). I miss him so much but I really like having that part of him, reading his words, remembering how he used to speak to me.

It can be the hardest thing to experience. Only you can decide what is best for you, but I'm personally glad I kept the bit of him that I did.

I hope you have time to heal.

-Courtney

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

i am not sure i have the words to help you in all honesty but i just wanted to giv you a vurtual hug!!

i honestly have no idea how i would cope if either of my parents died. i am closer to my dad though and just the thought of him not being there makes me cry!

i think i would want to keep the messages somewhere, just as i would keep all the cards and letter he has sent me in the past.

it has only been 2 weeks and i know it is a cliche but.....time does heal and whil you will never forget them or truley get over losing them you will learn how to move on x

over a year ago

Don't delete anything, not now it's all too raw.

My mum didn't text but when I found an old voicemail on my phone it made me cry but also gave me the comfort of knowing I can listen whenever I want too

I've made a shadow box & have popped things in there that are hers or remind me of her. Again I don't look in there at the moment, it's enough that I have it.

x

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

It's early days for you Mr Oiled so keep everything for now. I've lost my dad to and it would of been nice to have something like that to hold on to to be honest.

As for Google + I can't help you with that but could it be linked to an email address your dad had maybe?

Big hugs x

over a year ago

Sorry op big hugs. I only really got to know my dad as he was going.

If you message me i can help with the google plus thing but pllease keep his texts etc you will want to read them sometimes xx

over a year ago

You've no dealt heard it a million times already but....focus on the positives of his life. He made you the bloke you are today....I bet his proud also.

Theirs certain traits of him in you,his never fully gone mate.

Thoughts are with you."

What a brilliant way to look at it. Thankyou mate.

over a year ago

"It's early days for you Mr Oiled so keep everything for now. I've lost my dad to and it would of been nice to have something like that to hold on to to be honest.

As for Google + I can't help you with that but could it be linked to an email address your dad had maybe?

Big hugs x"

Thankyou Lady. Didn't realise you were on my hot list! Your message means a lot. I will look at that. X

over a year ago

A big thankyou to all of you. Your messages mean so much. It's like my extended family. X

over a year ago

I don't have any advice to add but wanted to say sorry for your loss x

over a year ago

"I don't have any advice to add but wanted to say sorry for your loss x "
Thankyou sunshine so much xx

over a year ago

They say it's better to have loved and lost than to have never have loved at all but when I read of someone's loss like this of someone as close as your father I sometimes think that I'm lucky in a way not to have know mine that way I can feel no loss.

Personally I would keep whatever you have to remember a loved one.

My sincere condolences to you OP and to everyone else who has suffered loss.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

Someone once told me it takes a year and a day to get over the loss of someone close. A year of memories, anniversaries, birthdays etc.

I think this is complete bollocks.

You never truly get over the loss of someone close. Yeah, it's gets easier and everytime the memory, the smell, the song hits, it hurts less, but it never stops hurting.

Don't make any decisions yet. Wait a year and a day.

over a year ago

My dad passed in November and some days it still doesn't feel real im sorry for your loss! I am coming across his pics on my fone every now and then and yesterday my 7yr old who has autism just started talking about him asking why he had gone to the stars and I just said he was old and he got really tired but he watches us from the stars! I then had to go and bawl in the bathroom for 20 mins some days are easier than others x

over a year ago

Sorry to here of your Dad. I know only time will help. My Dad.. He lives now within my heart and soul and until the day I go he is there. I see things around my home and think he is around me and I miss him a lot .

Post new Message to Thread