Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Black Dog

Jump to newest

By *S Rachael OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Lowestoft

How do you raise yourself from feeling miserable?

Me? I watch Susan Boyle's audition...or her in New York in the cold. Or watching the reaction in Australia or France.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *r H and Good PetCouple
over a year ago

Nottingham

When I recognise that I'm getting depressed, I know nothing would work (that's how my depression works on me - that the things that normally cheer me do not). And so I try not to harm myself or others (normally by shutting myself in my flat with my cats) and ride it out.

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

I bake. Play with the kids

Talk to my friends.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have a number of Heels Cheer Up solutions. Playing my piano, going for a brisk walk/run in the fresh air, nattering to my Dad and in extremis, break out the cheesey tunes and treat myself to a solo sitting room disco. Occasionally I allow myself a half hour window of wallowing in the grump zone, but that's my maximum before I start to annoy myself!

By *irceWoman
over a year ago

Gloucester

Go dogging.....

over a year ago

I make sure I have lots of awesome plans with awesome people booked ahead so I always have something to smile about. The problem is this means I rarely have time for spontenaiety but I have opportunity for spontenaiety during my plans

over a year ago

"When I recognise that I'm getting depressed, I know nothing would work (that's how my depression works on me - that the things that normally cheer me do not). And so I try not to harm myself or others (normally by shutting myself in my flat with my cats) and ride it out. "

This sounds a great deal similar to how the black dog used to affect me. Try a Google of anhedonia. This was what made me struggle the most. My coping strategies involved distraction but when the anhedonia kicked in, I floundered. It's not for everyone but seriously heavy music and running was what got me through the darkest times. No one could help me either and I shut myself away.

Post new Message to Thread