Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Trafalgar Day?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

The govt are proposing switching the May Day bank holiday to a date in October and calling it 'Trafalgar Day' or 'Uk Day'. The TUC have criticised the proposal citing that the May Day bank holiday is celebrated in many countries as International Workers Day, and that as we in the UK have the lowest number of bank holidays (8) compared to the US (13), Belgium (18), France (10), Germany (11), for example, that if a new 'UK Day' is to be implemented then it should be in addition to existing bank holidays and not as a replacement of a date (May Day) that has associations going back to the 4th Century as a time of celebration for Britons.

1st May, 1707 was the day the Act of Union came into effect, joining England and Scotland to form the Kingdom of Great Britain. (it's up to you if you that particular part of British history should be celebrated )

I'm in favour of an additional bank holiday added to our calendar, but what are your views on it, and should it be Trafalgar Day or UK Day?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

makes no odds to me as i often work bank hols, but id a national day of a good idea in a credit crunch?

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

whats a bank holiday?

only one i do not have to work is Christmas day, and if newspapers were published on that day i would have to work that aswell

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I'd be radical and make some proper suggestions... since we do get less bank holidays than everyone one else.... add some

1st thing would be to give each of the "home countries" there national day off (happens in scotland and northern ireland.... but not in england and wales)

Trafalgar day would be nice... would be nice to have a bank holiday between august and xmas.....

why not also make VE day a national holiday? or also rememberance day (11th nov) a national holiday... (which is what they do in the states, canada, australia and new zealand)

over a year ago

Who in their right mind would swap a holiday at the beginning of May (when the weather ought to be OK) for a holiday at the end of October (when it might very well be snowing)?

For years events - not just political - have been organised over the Mayday weekend to take advantage of the Monday holiday. For those a bit further north it marks the start of the holiday season when people start moving around the country and spening their money in little out of the way places which rely on that income.

It won't work in October and, if this Tory-led government is daft enough to try to impose such a change I predict a mass sickie.

over a year ago

"..........

1st thing would be to give each of the "home countries" there national day off (happens in scotland and northern ireland.... but not in england and wales)

"

If you mean St Andrew's day in Scotland it is 'technically' a Bank Holiday but very few organisations honour it.

over a year ago

Not amazingly not one reply here sums up with any other concept in their mind except a day off..... might as well ban the lot for all the meaning they have to people.

NOw ......what to do on Royal Wedding Day.

over a year ago

Ah but did you know they have already moved the may bank holiday for next year (2012) to the 4th of june?

over a year ago

"Ah but did you know they have already moved the may bank holiday for next year (2012) to the 4th of june?"
spring bank holiday that is

over a year ago

i was going to say,isnt there 2 bank holidays in may each year?is there a need for both of them?

over a year ago

there are 2 bank holidays in may yes, the latter one has been moved to monday the 4th of june with tuesday the 5 being a holiday too. The reason for this hr the Queens diamond jubilee

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/02/11 13:17:45]

over a year ago

"I'd be radical and make some proper suggestions... since we do get less bank holidays than everyone one else.... add some

Trafalgar day would be nice... would be nice to have a bank holiday between august and xmas.....

why not also make VE day a national holiday? or also rememberance day (11th nov) a national holiday... (which is what they do in the states, canada, australia and new zealand)

With you there _abio the 11th nov should be a bank holiday for sure

"

By *HAGADELICCouple
over a year ago

south london

Absolutely agree!

1)A national holiday should be for the NATION not one faction ie the trade union movement - it was a leftie holiday foisted on us by a labour govt.

2) you get the stupid situation where all three bank holdays can come at once

That's because the spring banl holiday used to be whitsun and was fixed to the date of easter and moved with it - if easter is late you gat all 3 at a go.

With that long gap.

3) a day linked to one of this country's (many) "finest hours" defeating the french dictator is a good opportunity to celebrate our armed forces and the brave bits of history

( Nov 11 is about remembering the war dead and should be a serious day so perhaps not then)

BTW before we say blah blah the french get all these holidays it's not quite as simple -if you are in France on a national holday and want to DO something -forget it EVERYWHERE shuts - shops museums the lot there is NOTHING to do!!!!

And in France if the date falls on a weekend there's no Monday off.

over a year ago

Why does it have to be Trafalgar Day?

Has anyone asked The French and The Spanish what they think about their European partners celebrating giving them a bloody nose over 200 tears ago?

Smacks of Jingoism

Perversely if someone proposed an 'England Day' someone else (probably English) would say it was racist and divisive

Can't we just have a 'bank holiday'

By *HAGADELICCouple
over a year ago

south london

1. remind the french that we got rid of a megalomaniac dictator ( Bonaparte) and were their ally in two world wars.

2.Remind the Spanish that we helped get rid of the french occupation of their country by the same megalomaniac dictator

( Penisular war Sharpe's war and all that)

over a year ago

oh someone should have said

I assumed it would be about British Triumphalism and the Glory of War

By *ex.IncCouple
over a year ago

Castleford

"whats a bank holiday?

only one i do not have to work is Christmas day, and if newspapers were published on that day i would have to work that aswell"

I'd go into hiding if i were you now with all the security warnings about press at socials :p lol

By *HAGADELICCouple
over a year ago

south london

[Removed by poster at 05/02/11 15:25:40]

By *HAGADELICCouple
over a year ago

south london

"oh someone should have said

I assumed it would be about British Triumphalism and the Glory of War "

If you mean dead right in having NOTHING to do with some pathetic defeatist wet wishy-washy multicutural liberal we are all friends now let's forget our history stuff

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"whats a bank holiday?

only one i do not have to work is Christmas day, and if newspapers were published on that day i would have to work that aswell

I'd go into hiding if i were you now with all the security warnings about press at socials :p lol"

lol

i only drive a van delivering the damn things, get that fed up of the sight of them i dont even read them

over a year ago

I assumed it would be about British Triumphalism and the Glory of War "

Trafalgar Day (and anything to do with Nelson) was incredibly popular in the 19th century - a time when Britain really did Rule the Waves.

Now, with this Tory-led government, we're better known for waiving the rules.

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

and lets face it. whats ant press reporter going to see of find at a scocial, a lot of people who are freinds anyway having a drink together and probably discussing football or rugby or politics

By *ex.IncCouple
over a year ago

Castleford

"and lets face it. whats ant press reporter going to see of find at a scocial, a lot of people who are freinds anyway having a drink together and probably discussing football or rugby or politics

"

You never know with the 'comic' types. They lie and always print something that sounds meaty regardless of it being the truth or not. Its sad organisers are having to cancel things because of them though.

Anyway..back on topic!

over a year ago

trafalagar day gets my vote , but then im biased as its my birthday that day lol

over a year ago

I am in favour of moving one of the May Bank Holidays to October, and don't really care what it may be called!

over a year ago

It actually makes good sense to have an October holiday. The gap between August Bank Holiday and Christmas is huge. Take year, we end up with four bank holidays in about 5 weeks (http://www.year-planner-calendar.wanadoo.co.uk/2011-public-holidays.htm) from April to May. I'd much rather have another in October and one less in May.

As a chef, I couldn't give a toss when they are as I won't get extra time off.

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

They wont call it 'trafalgar day' for a start..too un pc and 'racist' towards our lovely neighbours..the French!...remember a couple of years ago when it was commemorated the two sides had to be called the red and the blue!..

This country!!!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Absolutely agree!

1)A national holiday should be for the NATION not one faction ie the trade union movement - it was a leftie holiday foisted on us by a labour govt.

"

The May Bank Holiday is not an invention of the Labour party at all, it is one of the original Bank Holidays which dates back to 1834.....and not under a Labour government.

It appears as a national Bank Holiday in a later Act Of Parliament (Bank Holidays Act 1871).....again not a Labour Government in power.

over a year ago

"I'd be radical and make some proper suggestions... since we do get less bank holidays than everyone one else.... add some

"

Top man - all superb ideas! Bravo!

over a year ago

"Why does it have to be Trafalgar Day?

Has anyone asked The French and The Spanish what they think about their European partners celebrating giving them a bloody nose over 200 tears ago?

Smacks of Jingoism

Perversely if someone proposed an 'England Day' someone else (probably English) would say it was racist and divisive

Can't we just have a 'bank holiday'"

.....and all of the above smack of pathetic pink and fluffy loony liberalism - the one big thing that drags our once great country down more than anything else!

over a year ago

I assumed it would be about British Triumphalism and the Glory of War

If you mean dead right in having NOTHING to do with some pathetic defeatist wet wishy-washy multicutural liberal we are all friends now let's forget our history stuff"

This! Big time!!!!

over a year ago

I've not read fully through this thread so excuse me if this has been brought up earlier.

The thing is it would be great to have more bank holidays...and I did read down to _abio first post to which I agree with somewhat. But as we are at this time in the country were many people do not get any bank holidays at all.

I think giving all the right to bank holidays should come firstly..then maybe we can tackle the other

Post new Message to Thread