Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

I need some new glasses

Jump to newest

By *ylonesque OP   Man
over a year ago

Near Aberystwyth

I need some new specs, but my local independent optician costs a fortune, and I've had hit and miss experiences with both Boots and Specsavers.

Who would you fab spectacle wearers recommend?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

I bought some online and were highly delighted, my reading glasses cost me £6 and my distance ones cost me £9

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Specsavers every time for me - great range and good value too. The glasses I get most compliments on are their £29 ones

over a year ago

Glasses Direct website. Inexpensive, very good range of styles and very prompt service.

By *ylonesque OP   Man
over a year ago

Near Aberystwyth

"Specsavers every time for me - great range and good value too. The glasses I get most compliments on are their £29 ones "

My current specs are from Specsavers and were a very reasonable price, but they've never had the best vision. My wife says hers are pretty awful too. We both have varifocals, and I have one short sighted eye, and one long sighted eye, so my prescription is a bit weird.

Do you think we were just unlucky and should give them another chance?

By *ylonesque OP   Man
over a year ago

Near Aberystwyth

"Glasses Direct website. Inexpensive, very good range of styles and very prompt service. "

Oooh, sounds good. I'll check them out.

Thanks.

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

What do you mean by hit and miss?

My distance glasses have two different lenses as one eye is much weaker than the other.

Some of Spectators £25 range are OK... Bit plasticky but they do the job.

- Amy. x

over a year ago

"Specsavers every time for me - great range and good value too. The glasses I get most compliments on are their £29 ones

My current specs are from Specsavers and were a very reasonable price, but they've never had the best vision. My wife says hers are pretty awful too. We both have varifocals, and I have one short sighted eye, and one long sighted eye, so my prescription is a bit weird.

Do you think we were just unlucky and should give them another chance?"

You should take them back - they will redo your prescription for free and replace them.

over a year ago

Poundland'. Mine work just fine

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

"Specsavers every time for me - great range and good value too. The glasses I get most compliments on are their £29 ones

Do you think we were just unlucky and should give them another chance?"

Surely by those standards you should be able to take them back to Specsavers and say you don't feel they've given you the correct lenses?

Obviously they only follow numbers when they get you to read out the letters with the lense machine but they should know by that and what you tell them what you need?

And did they not get you to check them when you got them? x

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

Do you think we were just unlucky and should give them another chance?

You should take them back - they will redo your prescription for free and replace them. "

over a year ago

I use Tesco, I can't fault their customers service

I got two pair of varifocal's for £270, bargin, I broke a pair about four month after I got them and they just replaced them free if charge

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

"What do you mean by hit and miss?

My distance glasses have two different lenses as one eye is much weaker than the other.

Some of *Specsavers £25 range are OK... Bit plasticky but they do the job.

- Amy. x"

Fucking autocarrot!

By *ylonesque OP   Man
over a year ago

Near Aberystwyth

- Amy. x

You should take them back - they will redo your prescription for free and replace them. "

I've had them two years now, so I can't go back and complain.

The trouble with them is that the field of vision was never very wide compared to some I'd had in the past. Also, I don't think they were actually strong enough, as I found I had to look through the top part a lot more often.

I suppose its my own stupid fault for not going back sooner.

By *ylonesque OP   Man
over a year ago

Near Aberystwyth

"I use Tesco, I can't fault their customers service

I got two pair of varifocal's for £270, bargin, I broke a pair about four month after I got them and they just replaced them free if charge"

I didn't even know Tesco supplied glasses!

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

I got two pair of varifocal's for £270, bargin, I broke a pair about four month after I got them and they just replaced them free if charge

I didn't even know Tesco supplied glasses!"

Yeah, most major supermarkets have their own opticians in store. x

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

- Amy. x

You should take them back - they will redo your prescription for free and replace them.

I've had them two years now, so I can't go back and complain.

The trouble with them is that the field of vision was never very wide compared to some I'd had in the past. Also, I don't think they were actually strong enough, as I found I had to look through the top part a lot more often.

I suppose its my own stupid fault for not going back sooner."

Hmm, you just need to be more adamant about standing your ground when something isn't right.

If you're not wearing the right glasses they're only going to make your eyes worse. x

over a year ago

I didn't even know Tesco supplied glasses!"

The big store have opticians in them

I've used them for years never had a problem, all their glasses come with a 12 month guarantee so if they break in that time they replace them

Never had a problem with them

By *aucy tiggerWoman
over a year ago

Back where I belong

I use Asda, great value xx

Post new Message to Thread