Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Competitent electrician

Jump to newest

By *one_wolf. OP   Man
over a year ago

Chatham

Hello there I am a sparky myself but just need to double check something as I'm not in the UK and not got my regs to hand....

I'm out in Jordan commissioning tents and prefabricated buildings and they use a radial sockets circuit to CBs

Just testing 2 separated CBs in the distribution board and getting a continuity from certain sockets for each CB between both live earth and live nuetral, to me this is cross wiring and unsafe as if one trips for a fault there is the "back up" that might not trip.... Is this true and should I get the contractors to change it?

Cheers for your help in advance

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I wouldn't know the system in Jordan, is it similar to the UK? it's entirely possible to run things in a multitude of ways!

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

sounds a bit like a borrowed neutral somewhere ... is this happening on a tp&n board and is it happening on all the ways or just a few?

By *one_wolf. OP   Man
over a year ago

Chatham

Yeah coming off a tp&n board, and it's radial circuits off a 15A breaker, just asking to see if this is safe or not?

As it might be a borrowed nuetral or borrowed earth

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

is it on just one line or is it happening on all 3 lines?

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

personally i wouldn't sign it off till i'd found what was causing it myself ..... the regs book is printed in A4 format coz A4 is just big enough to cover your arse

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Hello Lone Wolf,

your question is a bit confusing, live earth and live neutral?

If you check continuity between CB 1 and CB 2 (presumably single pole?) you should have open circuit if connected correctly, neutral and earth are irrelevant, all will show continuity as they come back to common points.

Alec

By *one_wolf. OP   Man
over a year ago

Chatham

"personally i wouldn't sign it off till i'd found what was causing it myself ..... the regs book is printed in A4 format coz A4 is just big enough to cover your arse "

I like that lol and just one line so far testing a new building to see if it's similar to all buildings

By *one_wolf. OP   Man
over a year ago

Chatham

"Hello Lone Wolf,

your question is a bit confusing, live earth and live neutral?

If you check continuity between CB 1 and CB 2 (presumably single pole?) you should have open circuit if connected correctly, neutral and earth are irrelevant, all will show continuity as they come back to common points.

Alec

"

Live to earth

Live to neutral

Both seem to be the same phase

Yes there is no continuity between each circuit breaker, so there must be a shared earth/nuetral somewhere, I'm asking if it's safe to commission with the state that it's in,

As when I plug my tester into the socket on the radial I get continuity from Phase to Earth from both circuit breakers when shorted it out using a link cable from the CB to the Main earth bar

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

borrowed stuff ain't allowed .... like i say i wouldn't comission it. you might be under pressure from the guys at the top but i'd flag it up as a problem and bat the problem back to them, in fairness they should give you time to investigate it properly.

By *one_wolf. OP   Man
over a year ago

Chatham

"borrowed stuff ain't allowed .... like i say i wouldn't comission it. you might be under pressure from the guys at the top but i'd flag it up as a problem and bat the problem back to them, in fairness they should give you time to investigate it properly."

Cheers

And thanks to the rest of the guys who helped

Now have to figure out how to translate what you say into Arabic for them to understand haha,

2nd fix has been completed and apparently guys are moving in on Friday

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

no problem fella .... good luck

Post new Message to Thread