Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Giving up your seat,,,

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

On a crowded bus or train...... Do you willingly offer your seat to someone you feel deserves it more than you...?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Local trains and buses, yeah I always do. I often just don't sit down at all.

If it's a long distance train and I've booked my seat, they can fuck right off

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Local trains and buses, yeah I always do. I often just don't sit down at all.

If it's a long distance train and I've booked my seat, they can fuck right off "

This!

over a year ago

Yes. But only if I think they deserve it. Elderly and frail looking people or pregnant women are the main reasons

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Bit like ruby, yes unless I've booked it

over a year ago

Yes

over a year ago

Yup. No I don't want brownie points I do it as it's the decent thing.

over a year ago

Yes but only to those who I feel need it more than me

Or if I'm sat at the front of the bus which I do if the bus is empty and a elderly person gets on later I will move further back so they can sit at the front

over a year ago

If it's a long distance train and I've booked my seat, they can fuck right off "

nice!

over a year ago

Without a moments breath Any lady child being a gent is old school and priceless and makes you feel good as well X

over a year ago

If it's a long distance train and I've booked my seat, they can fuck right off nice! "

That's me.

over a year ago

"Yes. But only if I think they deserve it. Elderly and frail looking people or pregnant women are the main reasons"

What about if someone was clearly well overweight and struggling to stand safely holding carrier bags laden with junk food....?

over a year ago

A gentleman never takes a seat on public transport . He merely uses one until someone who needs one alights.

over a year ago

Yes, but only if I think they need it. Old people, pregnant women, and people with disabilities is about it, really.

I'll get up even if I have a booked seat, as long as my ride is less than an hour long.

-Courtney

over a year ago

yes always and I let a lady through a door first all the time

over a year ago

"Yes. But only if I think they deserve it. Elderly and frail looking people or pregnant women are the main reasons

What about if someone was clearly well overweight and struggling to stand safely holding carrier bags laden with junk food....? "

If they was struggling for any reason I'd give my seat to them

over a year ago

"Yes. But only if I think they deserve it. Elderly and frail looking people or pregnant women are the main reasons"

^ this

G

over a year ago

"Yes. But only if I think they deserve it. Elderly and frail looking people or pregnant women are the main reasons

What about if someone was clearly well overweight and struggling to stand safely holding carrier bags laden with junk food....?

"

I forgot to mention the person was wearing a UKIP supporters t-shirt and smelled of cigarette smoke,,

over a year ago

I've been shouted at for offering my seat to someone before.

over a year ago

Always including the 2 pregnant younger women than me on the tube in the last year

Only to be told they are not pregnant

Now - no pregnant badge no seat

over a year ago

I forgot to mention the person was wearing a UKIP supporters t-shirt and smelled of cigarette smoke,, "

OK OK I'd ask them for a fag in exchange

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

What about if someone was clearly well overweight and struggling to stand safely holding carrier bags laden with junk food....? "

They will burn more calories standing. So in the interests of their health and that of the NHS. I would let them stand or politely suggest they walk...

over a year ago

I forgot to mention the person was wearing a UKIP supporters t-shirt and smelled of cigarette smoke,,

OK OK I'd ask them for a fag in exchange "

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

The day someone offers me a seat is the day I give up swinging

over a year ago

"I've been shouted at for offering my seat to someone before. "

I didn't need it!

over a year ago

"The day someone offers me a seat is the day I give up swinging "

The day somebody offers me a seat is the day I change my face cream

By *oddyWoman
over a year ago

between havant and chichester

sorry next time ile sit on ur knee

over a year ago

Always!

over a year ago

"Always!"

Even if they smell of stale piss and are carrying a bottle of White-lightning...

over a year ago

"Always!

Even if they smell of stale piss and are carrying a bottle of White-lightning... "

Look you can have my seat stop going on

over a year ago

exactly. I'm less chivalrous for young healthy women. But elderly or pregnant I will.

Last time I did it was the last time I used public transport last Monday

over a year ago

"Always!

Even if they smell of stale piss and are carrying a bottle of White-lightning... "

"Yes"

"Even if they just fucked your mum and we're playing a video of it publicly?"

"Yes"

"Even if they just shot your dog..."

Seems like there's a trend here...

over a year ago

I'll stick to driving thanks

over a year ago

Yup all the time...

over a year ago

"Always!

Even if they smell of stale piss and are carrying a bottle of White-lightning...

Look you can have my seat stop going on "

It was the waft of warm stale piss rising up that really did it though,,,

Works every-time....

over a year ago

"Always!

Works every-time.... "

Yeah I needed to move down wind

over a year ago

Yeah I would & have done so in the past.

Long distance travel though if a different matter, I would but will mention that I think it's piss poor planning not to pre book their seat in advance.

By *ensual temptressWoman
over a year ago

Southampton

"On a crowded bus or train...... Do you willingly offer your seat to someone you feel deserves it more than you...? "

Yes I would give my seat with out hesitation.

Never forget when i was heavily pregnant and bus was full and an elderly lady got on and clearly not safe standing. I was the only person to offer her my seat ,which she took while everyone one else one else avoided any eye contact. Disgusted at this lack of humanity but at least my conscience was clear!

over a year ago

"Always!

Works every-time....

Yeah I needed to move down wind "

Perhaps if just spread my legs a wee bit more and share the aroma with everyone seated in the vicinity I'll get some more space to put my bags down so I can swig on my cider....

over a year ago

I find an excellent way to keep your seat, and those next to you, free is to laugh uncontrollably and point and smile at all the people who board the bus or train. Works a treat

By *ukepastMan
over a year ago

Newport

Not now that I have to walk with a stick. I have trouble standing on the train and get annoyed inside when I have to stand because selfish able bodied youngsters don't offer their seat when they're sitting in the "please offer this seat to someone who needs it" seats. Rant over lol

over a year ago

That's one of the reasons I usually just don't sit down in the first place, unless it's really empty. I've never had that reaction but one or two older men have looked a bit affronted that a woman was offering them the seat and my intention isn't to offend them...

By *eythergazMan
over a year ago

Tyldesley

Always for older people or pregnant women - it's just the right thing to do.

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

I rarely sit on the bus coz every time I do I get the stinkiest people known to man sat next to me! It's easier to stand as I'm never going far anyway

over a year ago

Will happily give up my seat on the tube. Seem to be forever lugging people's suitcases prams up the stairs too.

But what are these buses that people speak of?

over a year ago

My friend was on the bus. It was full and she was standing. An 80 year old gent offered up his seat. (No, she didn't accept).

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Always

over a year ago

I posted a similar thread not so long ago when a very heavily pregnant woman struggled to stand and everyone on the train ignored her.

I will always offer my seat to someone who needs it more than me. That said I had a dilemma the other week a lady got on he train who looked either fat or pregnant and I could figure which one she didn't have a baby on board badge so I didn't offer. I don't want to offend someone.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

" I don't want to offend someone. "

That's my angst too, plus the stories of militant feminists, which is why I never sit on any journey less than an hour, and even on long ones I have pretended I was getting off at the next station, offered my seat, and gone and stood in a separate carriage.

Mr ddc

over a year ago

Yes all the time. Although i try and sit upstairs

By *helbeeCouple
over a year ago

Nuneaton

I always do

As I've been brought up with manners

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I once watched a woman get on the bus with a stookie on her leg. She hobbled up the bus, squeezing past people with her crutches so I got up to give her my seat and someone else sat down in it.

I very quietly whispered in her ear that if she thought she deserves the seat more than the lady with the broken ankle then she should stay put. She moved pretty quick.

over a year ago

I always offer my seat to someone elderly or visibly disabled. They don't always take it, and that's ok too. I don't offer my seat to pregnant women - pregnancy is not a disability and most people are very healthy through their pregnancies with no need to sit.

I often ask if I can take a priority seat though. Three years ago I was in a car accident and now I have a leg injury which means standing can be quite painful - especially on jolting public transport. More recently I've had problems with the sole of my foot too which makes standing painful. You'd be amazed at the remarks you get when you ask. Sometimes people just give it up, sometimes people ask for your medical history, sometimes people just tell you to fuck off. It's a priority seat people - for people that need it.

over a year ago

If i ever see someone more deserving of a seat than me I'll gladly move.

over a year ago

Since starting a job which involves travelling to central london daily I have started to notice how ignorant people are. I.e. Smelly food, or standing with a very large ruck sack on smacking people in the face with it. Loud music on headphones. And my biggest hate crowding the doorway stopping others getting on when they can move down the train.

over a year ago

"On a crowded bus or train...... Do you willingly offer your seat to someone you feel deserves it more than you...? "

Yes. Always have always will. My parents always taught us that manners matter.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

: this!

over a year ago

"I always offer my seat to someone elderly or visibly disabled. They don't always take it, and that's ok too. I don't offer my seat to pregnant women - pregnancy is not a disability and most people are very healthy through their pregnancies with no need to sit.

I often ask if I can take a priority seat though. Three years ago I was in a car accident and now I have a leg injury which means standing can be quite painful - especially on jolting public transport. More recently I've had problems with the sole of my foot too which makes standing painful. You'd be amazed at the remarks you get when you ask. Sometimes people just give it up, sometimes people ask for your medical history, sometimes people just tell you to fuck off. It's a priority seat people - for people that need it."

What? As I'm currently standing on a packed metropolitan line train staring at a priority seat sign which clearly states it's for elderly people, people with disabilities people with small children and pregnant women! It may not be a disability but is still a reason to need a seat. I had a condition of my knees when I was 13 and still struggle with my knees I don't see that as a reason to have priority over a pregnant woman

over a year ago

"I find an excellent way to keep your seat, and those next to you, free is to laugh uncontrollably and point and smile at all the people who board the bus or train. Works a treat"

I hope you don't do that in pubs....

By *abphilMan
over a year ago

sheffield

Absolutely yes, just lean on my crutches

over a year ago

No, I ask if they would like to sit on my lap.

over a year ago

"I always offer my seat to someone elderly or visibly disabled. They don't always take it, and that's ok too. I don't offer my seat to pregnant women - pregnancy is not a disability and most people are very healthy through their pregnancies with no need to sit.

I often ask if I can take a priority seat though. Three years ago I was in a car accident and now I have a leg injury which means standing can be quite painful - especially on jolting public transport. More recently I've had problems with the sole of my foot too which makes standing painful. You'd be amazed at the remarks you get when you ask. Sometimes people just give it up, sometimes people ask for your medical history, sometimes people just tell you to fuck off. It's a priority seat people - for people that need it.

What? As I'm currently standing on a packed metropolitan line train staring at a priority seat sign which clearly states it's for elderly people, people with disabilities people with small children and pregnant women! It may not be a disability but is still a reason to need a seat. I had a condition of my knees when I was 13 and still struggle with my knees I don't see that as a reason to have priority over a pregnant woman"

A pregnant women who is still working out every day in the gym would find standing easier than I find it many days. If a pregnant women has an injury or disability then they're more than welcome to ask for a priority seat in my eyes.

over a year ago

I always do. Some.may think it old fashioned. On the tube when I visit london or on the bus. In the pub.

Some may think I am jolly old.school I think it shows manners to give up your seat to a lady.

over a year ago

"I always do. Some.may think it old fashioned. On the tube when I visit london or on the bus. In the pub.

Some may think I am jolly old.school I think it shows manners to give up your seat to a lady.

"

I think you should give up your seat for anyone that requires it. I find it quite patronizing for men to give their seat up to perfectly capable women.

over a year ago

Always... !! I remember being 8 months pregnant, I have a disabled son, and my Grandparents are my hero's!!

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"I always do. Some.may think it old fashioned. On the tube when I visit london or on the bus. In the pub.

"

I think that's lovely.

I'd like to think someone would give up their seats for my folks so I generally move or stand if someone older than me gets on and has to stand.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I think you should give up your seat for anyone that requires it. I find it quite patronizing for men to give their seat up to perfectly capable women. "

Not everything equates to feminism or someone being patronising or chauvinistic. Sometimes it is just about being mannerly and the way you were brought up. My guess would be that if you were indignant to someone like taff, that person would be horrified.

Post new Message to Thread