Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

single fathers ?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just curious ive been a single dad since my daughter was 8month old and keep getting told single dads and becoming more common now?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

I cant be the only one? And hope not

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yeah. It's way more acceptable in society now for a man to bother with his kids and to bring them up.

Me and an ex share 50/50 care of our kids, and he even has his step son overnight occasionally to give me a break and comes round to mine often to spend dad time with him. I think it's great.

over a year ago

Ive heard for alot over the years even from a teenager blokes getting women pregnant and even after years of marriage walking away from there kids and never understood. Just wondered if there was more like me now a days with things and times changing as id never be without or never stop fighting for my my daughter

over a year ago

Yeah my first ex walked away from his kids, hence his stepdad taking over somewhat. Some people just don't care about their kids really and use them as weapons when a relationship fails because it hurts the parent left behind, and they don't care if it hurts the child because they don't care about anyone but themselves. He's been diagnosed as a sociopath since.

He bothers with them a little bit every few weeks now, calls me several times a week to ask me to tell them he's coming over then doesn't turn up so i never tell my kids he is coming because of this. I stopped answering his calls now as well.

It's good when dads do care about their kids, i think it's vital for them.

over a year ago

I've chatted to quite a few 'single dads' and have enjoyed the chats and their mind frame towards life and their children.

Bringing a child up on your own is no easy task but it is rewarding in every way... specially when the school report comes through and I have to admit she did 100% than I thought she would...

over a year ago

100% BETTER. Sorry... half awake only lol

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

I just can't understand how anyone male or female could ever walk away from there kids

over a year ago

From what ive been through its supposed to be 50/50 parental responsibility ive done nothing but try for 5 years to give my daughter everything she needs and more its nice to hear im not the only one

over a year ago

Some heartless, emotionally detached people around who call themselves parents...

over a year ago

Clearly they not man enough

By *ink magnolia s yorksWoman
over a year ago

south yorkshire

"I just can't understand how anyone male or female could ever walk away from there kids "

As a kid who's dad walked away I don't understand it either.now he's interested!too little,too late,the damage is done.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"I just can't understand how anyone male or female could ever walk away from there kids

As a kid who's dad walked away I don't understand it either.now he's interested!too little,too late,the damage is done."

I understand relationships ending suit happens but not with your kids. I have 2 with 2 different mothers my sons 27 now and more my best mate my daughter 13 and nothing is more important to me she my world

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"Ive heard for alot over the years even from a teenager blokes getting women pregnant and even after years of marriage walking away from there kids and never understood. Just wondered if there was more like me now a days with things and times changing as id never be without or never stop fighting for my my daughter"

When I met my husband he already had two sons. I was 18 and wise enough to look at how he treated his ex and his sons. He saw them every week and made sure they had food, clothing and heat. He didn't give her cash as it would be spent on drink and bingo. He never once bad mouthed her, his sister told me about.

He was a good father and even after we split he still saw the kids as much as when we were under the same roof.

My sister got herself knocked up by some bloke who wouldn't know his son if he fell over him. It's his only child too.

How parents can turn their back on their own kids is beyond the ken.

By *abes in the woodWoman
over a year ago

wales

think great single dad but my ex aint he emotical mentually poison them against me still does it their with their dad now some dad dont deserve to be single parents but i thoe lot good ones.

over a year ago

I was a single parent, I take my hat off to other single parents, who raised children on their own, Got them ready for school, cooked all the meals, done all the washing, no help from any inlaws, and still kept a full time job.

over a year ago

My son's ex has made it impossible for any of my family to have contact with his son. She has taken him away. I just hope it comes back to haunt her when the child is old enough to understand what she has deprived him of.

over a year ago

It does seem that father's are less likely to disappear after a relationship breaks down these days. My ex has my kids 2 or 3 nights a week and provides financially while they're with me. Neither of us would ever move away from the area as we couldn't deprive the kids our ourselves from weekly contact. My boyfriend is a single dad to 3 kids whose mother doesn't pay maintenance or have regular contact.

over a year ago

I'm a single dad to 4 beautiful children, yes its hard and chaotic, especially when you throw work into the mix and 'other things' but I make it work.

My kids are my life and id do pretty much anything to ensure they were ok

By *istressZoeTV/TS
over a year ago

cheshire

Op - are you on Twitter!?

Great resource for single dads

@onlydads

over a year ago

Single Dad here, although Mum does still have some input, hello matey

over a year ago

I admire single parents so much. Whatever the reason that you find yourself in that position.

My sister is a widow and had 3 children under the age of ten when this happened. 12 years on they are well adjusted adults who make us all in the family proud. It has been tough on her but they have been her priority.

I have talked and met quite a few single dads on here. More than I know in my everyday life that's for sure.

Well done all single parents. Xx

over a year ago

I'm a single dad, my ex has little input but she has her own demons to fight, and I hope one day she will be able to have a decent relationship with our son, its been hard, but still so rewarding, but then I guess the same could be said for single mothers

By *awandOrderCouple
over a year ago

SW London

Both of us are single parents ... and now we are together, I guess we aren't anymore. Between us we have five teenagers, almost standing on their own two feet. Its a fantastic reward to see this and to have such loyal and caring children (not that I should call them that anymore). Yes, you can tell, we are almost out of the tantrum phase ....

By *dluv2Man
over a year ago

glasgow

Simply is the best job in the world, been a single dad for such a long time and discovered me and my ex don't have to be together to make it special for my kid, she misses out on nothing and still has a devoted full time dad on her side to fend off the boys when she grows up to be a heartbreaker.

over a year ago

Hi I 2 am a single parent and have been for 14 years to 3 children . It was hard especially when they are sick but the rewards are huge . My eldest is at uni and she's loving it . It's our family and I wouldn't change it for the world . They see their father every other weekend if they want to I cross my fingers that they do so I get to play in my own home lol xxxx

By *awandOrderCouple
over a year ago

SW London

"Simply is the best job in the world, been a single dad for such a long time and discovered me and my ex don't have to be together to make it special for my kid, she misses out on nothing and still has a devoted full time dad on her side to fend off the boys when she grows up to be a heartbreaker. "

Our daughters are 'lucky' like that ... one has two older brothers and the other has three older brothers .... certainly cramps their style a little!

By *dluv2Man
over a year ago

glasgow

"Simply is the best job in the world, been a single dad for such a long time and discovered me and my ex don't have to be together to make it special for my kid, she misses out on nothing and still has a devoted full time dad on her side to fend off the boys when she grows up to be a heartbreaker.

Our daughters are 'lucky' like that ... one has two older brothers and the other has three older brothers .... certainly cramps their style a little!"

Mine has a massive family of all boys on my brother side so she's well sorted when it comes to fending off the men my no boyfriend till 40 rule may well hold up lol

Post new Message to Thread