Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Any wine connoisseurs on here

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I normally drink Shiraz, Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon. Any suggestions on what other reds I should try out please.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Try a Malbec

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"Try a Malbec "

over a year ago

Depends where they're from also. You can't go wrong with any Stellenbosch regionally-produced South Aftican, in my opinion.

over a year ago

A good Rioja, or Chilean merlot.x

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

chateau ausone saint emillion

By *unloversCouple
over a year ago

rotherham

Well I'm a rose wine newbie and have fallen in luv with a cheap one from Asda called three mills

Xx

over a year ago

I'm partial to a pinot noir at the moment.

Otherwise a temoranillo

By *iscean MaleMan
over a year ago

Darlaston

Yellow label wolf bass

Aussie red.. my fav mmmm

By *ourbonKissMan
over a year ago

a land up north..... of leicester

Brunello is very nice imo.... Although hard to find over here

By *ayandpCouple
over a year ago

Plymouth

Tempranillo is nice

Or a label that won't let you down is the Aussie vineyard penfolds all their wines are lovely

over a year ago

A good reserve Rioja mmm

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Try the Zinfandels. Opus one from Robert Modavi is superb and would give the Premier Cru clarets a run for the money.

over a year ago

I find the first half of the bottle I'm very mmmm this tannin of nuts and oak is wow.

The second half of the bottle I'm a little more mmm fruity

The second bottle I'm more.. Wtf half measures, get it filled up to the top... I'm way past swilling it

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

a little tip when choosing a rioja ...... look on the back of the bottle and you'll see the contraetiqueta (the back label) usually in the bottom left corner. there a four colours. basic rioja (generico) is green, crianza (aged 2 years) is pink, reserva (aged 3 years) is purple, gran reserva (aged 5 years is blue ..... the darker the shade of each colour the finer the wine.

there's obviously more to know but these very basic tips will get you started on selecting a good rioja when you see them on offer in the shops.

By *3gam4nMan
over a year ago

wrexham

Ok one thing: saying you tried a shiraz or a cabernet is the same as saying you drove a ford or vw... each wine is different and each region produces a different result: a french shiraz will be very sharp and earthy while a californian will be smooth and spicy... then each one has a different vintage and ageing... each wine has a time and a place.... if you are having a steak have it with a lovely Faustino VII Rioja or an "old world" shiraz... if you're not eating try a glass of babylon peak cabernet sauvignon... one of the early 2000's vintage tastes like wooden berries and chocolate, firm favourite of mine.... chateau-neuf drinks lovely but you get the cotes du rhone produced down the road and a bit younger but every bit a lovely wine for a budget... this is only round reds. .. any info needed on white or rose?

over a year ago

"Ok one thing: saying you tried a shiraz or a cabernet is the same as saying you drove a ford or vw... each wine is different and each region produces a different result: a french shiraz will be very sharp and earthy while a californian will be smooth and spicy... then each one has a different vintage and ageing... each wine has a time and a place.... if you are having a steak have it with a lovely Faustino VII Rioja or an "old world" shiraz... if you're not eating try a glass of babylon peak cabernet sauvignon... one of the early 2000's vintage tastes like wooden berries and chocolate, firm favourite of mine.... chateau-neuf drinks lovely but you get the cotes du rhone produced down the road and a bit younger but every bit a lovely wine for a budget... this is only round reds. .. any info needed on white or rose? "

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

Bordeaux ;

Margaux:

Or Haut- Medoc

If you want to try rosé, but find rise too light; try Bordeaux Clairet; which is " clarified" Bordeaux red;

Still has some of the body of a red, but lighter; halfway in colour between red and Rosé

over a year ago

"Depends where they're from also. You can't go wrong with any Stellenbosch regionally-produced South Aftican, in my opinion."

We spend a lot of time in South Africa visiting wineries but for us we prefer the Franschhoek wines as opposed to the neighbouring stellenbosch

over a year ago

depends if it's to be consumed on it's own or as part of a meal. malbec is really nice with food, as is merlot, but I find both fairly heavy on their own. cabernet is good with or without food. Personally I don't drink French wines, my favourites are, South African, New Zealand, some Australian wines, some Spanish, especially their reds and a couple of South American wines, also reds. I don't rate Californian wines at all.

over a year ago

"depends if it's to be consumed on it's own or as part of a meal. malbec is really nice with food, as is merlot, but I find both fairly heavy on their own. cabernet is good with or without food. Personally I don't drink French wines, my favourites are, South African, New Zealand, some Australian wines, some Spanish, especially their reds and a couple of South American wines, also reds. I don't rate Californian wines at all.

"

Any apart from French lol, find them over rated, wines from most other countries have more taste I find

over a year ago

Some super advice in here

Mwah x

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

If you don't want to splash out then for under £20 I'd go for the Querciabella Chianti Classico, Italy 2006 or if you feel slightly more generous you really should experience Luca Roagna Barolo La Pira, Italy 2009

By *apasmurfkingMan
over a year ago

Costa Del Littlehampton

I prefer the iced wine from Canada. It's more a dessert wine, sweet and slightly thicker.

But as a rule I don't discriminate. I drink all alcohol.

By *3gam4nMan
over a year ago

wrexham

Also a top tip: if you're lucky enough to get hold of Portuguese wine-go for it, it's all awesome! Except Mateus (rose) this is the number one most exported wine from Portugal... they can't stand it but found it to be to the liking of dry flowery flavours.

By *unloversCouple
over a year ago

rotherham

I've never heard of half of these wines

Just stick to Rose

The dark red stuff tastes like wood to me

And the white stuff like vinegar

By *3gam4nMan
over a year ago

wrexham

"I've never heard of half of these wines

Just stick to Rose

And the white stuff like vinegar"

If white tastes like vinegar try a moscato... if red tastes woody try a reserve cabernet... sou many different wines and flavours...

By *arnayguyMan
over a year ago

Durham Tees

The last red I had was a Malbec. It was a canny pint.

By *unloversCouple
over a year ago

rotherham

That's why it's all so confusing

When I first started on wine I couldn't choose so tried different rose.s but some are more hitter than others

Or some are to sweet and sickly

Can't keep buying different ones and wasting them

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

You can't beat blue nun or lambrusco.

By *3gam4nMan
over a year ago

wrexham

"That's why it's all so confusing

When I first started on wine I couldn't choose so tried different rose.s but some are more hitter than others

Or some are to sweet and sickly

Can't keep buying different ones and wasting them"

Top tip for you: google a sangria recepy... when you feel adventurous and try a bottle you don't like turn it into lovely sangria. Also find a wine you like and clock on its characteristics at back of the bottle (fruity, zesty, etc) and search new wines with similar characteristics...

Sounds like you don't like to sweet nor too dry... look in white for luna di luna-amazing italian pinot/chardonnay mix.

By *3gam4nMan
over a year ago

wrexham

"You can't beat blue nun or lambrusco."

Yes you can, with something heavy like a crow bar!

over a year ago

"You can't beat blue nun or lambrusco."

I don't know, a couple of gallons of imported Chinese Liebfraumilch washes a whole Black forest gateau down nicely.

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

"I've never heard of half of these wines

Just stick to Rose

And the white stuff like vinegar"

ok, try sainsburys house merlot £4.75 a bottle and see how you get on .... it's a decent drop at a very good price.

over a year ago

Cheateauneuf de pape is a tasty red, nice one from M&S last year

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

Chilean Carmeniere if you like Nerlot

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"You can't beat blue nun or lambrusco.

Yes you can, with something heavy like a crow bar! "

Next you are going to say lambrini is cheap as well.

over a year ago

"You can't beat blue nun or lambrusco.

Yes you can, with something heavy like a crow bar!

Next you are going to say lambrini is cheap as well."

Lambrini is a bit posh for where I was brought up lol it was casini lol x

By *3gam4nMan
over a year ago

wrexham

Shock to you all: Lambrini is a Perry- pear cider type of stuff used to poison cats. It doesn't claim to be a wine ever,

over a year ago

Try townhouses house red . Great stuff. Something in it always makes the Mrs really horny

Post new Message to Thread