FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

more help needed but with sleep this time.

Jump to newest

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

For those that helped with my problems regarding information for my almost 10 year old with sex and about his Willy i now have a recurring problem that has been rumbling on for a few years now.

He is finding it hard to settle to sleep and after trying everythibg that anyone has ever suggested for the past few years it has recurrent.

we have tried.... Ignoring it.no e numbers. No drinks. No tv after tea. Warm baths with lavender. Calming music. Finally after about 3 years of this problem we got somw medicine from the doctors which helped and over a few weeks we finished with it and it seemed to work. So he was getting to sleep on average at half 9 instead of half 10-11.

His dad agreed to stop putting a dvd on for him at bed when he visits his dadas know it Wasnt helping as Is a clear stimulant.

Sleep is back to being a problem again and dad now tells me last weekend when they were with him he returned room them having a dvd at bed.

Any suggestions for help please.

Have a docs appointment booked again for next week. Have told dad heisnt helping by going back on the agreement.

Its our son that suffers when it comes down to it.

Any new ideas i can try from anyone?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

Perhaps some kind of gently moving lighting might help. I keep thinking lava lamp, lol.

I know it sometimes works with younger kids but I'm not sure about one as old as yours.

Good luck.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

lettuce.

Actually does help

over a year ago

"lettuce.

Actually does help "

So Wicked......

over a year ago

"lettuce.

Actually does help

So Wicked...... "

I am...i am....

But it does help...slept like a baby after me BLT

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

Thanks soxy, will get searching to try get ingrediants to help

over a year ago

At the risk of asking an obvious question; does he sleep better when he's tired?

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

He can be outside in the fresh air playing football for a few hours and still has come in and still been awake at 10.30. So in general the answer is no mainly.

Yes when we have been camping as outside all day and we are all wiped out very quick.

over a year ago

"lettuce.

Actually does help

So Wicked......

I am...i am....

But it does help...slept like a baby after me BLT "

Ahem,,,,,, yes the sleep-aid side of things is all well and good, but the potential aphrodisiac effect of eating all that lettuce, which is also well known to result in males producing a unrelenting raging boner...... hmm now this could negatively impact on the OP's initial objectives somewhat,,,,,

Hmmm ya can see it now,,,,,, queues of guys forming at _ruit and veg shops all over the country… clutching as many heads of lettuce as they can carry…..

hmmm shame most of em will not even get a restful night sleep as a result of lettuce induced over excitement in the trouser department.

Ahh well, at least it all counts towards part of the five a day plan……

over a year ago

A walk, a bath, and a book, reading does help. xxx

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

In the past few years I have tried everything really.

As a last resort we got some meds from the doctors which really helped but long term its not possible to keep him on the meds as the doc was very clear it was only for a few weeks which I was ok with.

Just really tired of one problem after another at the moment lol.

Mon eve it was 10.30 when he was still awake,same on tuesday and similar last night. See what this eve brings

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

Have had reading reccomended before and he has tried it and sometimes made him sleepy so may give it a go again. Other times it hasnt made a difference.

Never seem to find any one thing that sorts it other than meds

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Does he get up ok in the morning,is he whingy and grumpy and obviously tired during the day?

over a year ago

I used to get an antihistamine prescribed for mine but only to be given for three or four nights to break their sleep/awake pattern and get them into the habit of sleeping again. Not easy to break his body's habit, but is is one he just needs help re-training again.

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

Yes its a misery trying to get him out of bed in the morning.

He is 10 in a few months and does have antihistimines in the summer for hayfever but not til summer

Forum Mod

over a year ago

lol now you've answered that ive had to remove what I was going to say as its irrelevant

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

lol.

I seem to have exhausted all options of things to try which is why i went to the docs in about october to demand some meds to re programme his system.

I am gonna let him read this eve and see if that works tonight and if it doesnt then will consider redoing the meds beginning of next week again but we do have the docs appointment monday.

It bothers him and naturally bothers me.

Getting him out of bed is terrible, its like he is a teenager suddenly lol

over a year ago

Bach Rescue Remedy from boots we use this when my girl show and jump ... in a working hunter class she is jumping 12 or more jumps some as Big as 5 bar gates and i tell you when we go around looking at jumps before she start ... nurves all sorts go around in her head this is the thing that helps us cope with stress all sorts 2 or 3 drops

in the mouth and its safe for children .. it works for us .. helps with sleep too. Made of nothing nasty just Herbs x

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

Will look into that too, I have heard of it beforew but didnt realise it can be for kids too

over a year ago

"Will look into that too, I have heard of it beforew but didnt realise it can be for kids too"
yes can be for children i even use it them i was there looking at her on the horse jumping... you look into that just before bed ... we have been useing this for years now Good luck and dont cost loads boots have it xx

over a year ago

Used Bach rescue remedy for my dogs while travelling too!

over a year ago

My nearly 10 year old is the same.. Although sometimes he can be sound asleep by 9pm.. sometimes come 11 he is still awake.. I am slowly pulling his bedtime back again.. and getting him up earlier..

I have found that not allowing him tv, or xbox for a good hour before bed helps.. so if its bath, story, talk and things like drawing this seems to help.

Katie. x

over a year ago

"Used Bach rescue remedy for my dogs while travelling too! "
yes i give it to horses me and girl and when in need of help x its good .

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

"My nearly 10 year old is the same.. Although sometimes he can be sound asleep by 9pm.. sometimes come 11 he is still awake.. I am slowly pulling his bedtime back again.. and getting him

I have found that not allowing him tv, or xbox for a good hour before bed helps.. so if its bath, story, talk and things like drawing this seems to help.

Katie. x"

in general he is never asleep by 9. I am pleased if it is 10. But most nights if i go up at half ten he is still awake.

After we had the meds he was asleep on average at half 9 which was lovely.

With all the problems with his feelings towards his dad it makes the sleep situation even harder i think. My mind starts when i go to bed sometimes so know how he feels.

over a year ago

can't help thinking ... food or drink? could it be squashes or pop or other food with additives which are affecting him?

By *heWolfMan
over a year ago

warwickshire

Now he knows what his willy is for, won't be long before he is cracking one off to get to sleep. Thing is, being a thrusting young buck, he'll wake up every half hour raring to go again.

Meanwhile, try whisky.

Or Phenobarbital.

over a year ago

"Now he knows what his willy is for, won't be long before he is cracking one off to get to sleep. Thing is, being a thrusting young buck, he'll wake up every half hour raring to go again.

Meanwhile, try whisky.

Or Phenobarbital.

"

Or a good waxing

ahem !

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

Wolf, thanks I guess??

Be nice, we have in the past stopped all e numbers/additives after tea but still didnt work.

Off to see if I can get some rescue remedy today

over a year ago

"Wolf, thanks I guess??

Be nice, we have in the past stopped all e numbers/additives after tea but still didnt work.

Off to see if I can get some rescue remedy today"

i was thinking maybe some music too .... you know them relaxing ones of sea, and stuff thay send me to sleep ,, have them on around the bed room just dont say or make a big deal about it say you like it yourself x xx

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I would srongly recommend Lavender Gel.

You rub it into the wrists and on the temples of the face, it's a form of aromatherapy and is easy to source online..

over a year ago

I used to have to take my youngest to a sleep clinic, is there one your doctor can recommend rather than medicating your son?

over a year ago

The Celebs sunday magazine had an article this week about reasons for people losing sleep:-

1 Wear socks in bed, as your feet cool first before your body therefore taking longer to get to sleep

2 Stop worrying about anything, concentrate hard on something else, maybe listen to an audio book

3 Dont have a lie in at the weekends, short term its a great luxury but eventually you will suffer

4 No gym after work as it produces adrenalin and endorphins too close to bedtime, maybe no playtime after dinner?

5 Coffee ie caffeine takes 10 hrs to get out of the body, so no pop, try those without additives

6 No alcohol one glass for those adults thinking it will help them is fine, any more and it becomes a stimulant

7 Lettuce contains a substance called lactucarium which has a sedating effect

8 Buy a new bed, mattesses are only built to last 8-12 yrs, some less. How to pick the right one? asisde from personal preference, lighter skinny girls are often better on soft beds.

9 Deficiency of magnesium has been linked with bad sleep so eat nuts, bananas, wheatgerm and wholegrains. Kids like yoghurt and Ontken do a great one with wholegrains, though they only do big tubs not little ones

10 A bad before bed tricks your body into believing that its temporarily warmed up

Hope that helps

And for those that find they wake up in the middle of the night, dont lie there for more than 20 mins, get up and do some low level activity; empty the washing machine, put the dishes away, read a magazine

over a year ago

"My nearly 10 year old is the same.. Although sometimes he can be sound asleep by 9pm.. sometimes come 11 he is still awake.. I am slowly pulling his bedtime back again.. and getting him

Katie. x

in general he is never asleep by 9. I am pleased if it is 10. But most nights if i go up at half ten he is still awake.

With all the problems with his feelings towards his dad it makes the sleep situation even harder i think. My mind starts when i go to bed sometimes so know how he feels."

Sounds to me like he is stressing and worrying about the relationship you and his dad have, he is caught in the middle, with you worrying and trying to 'control' him whereas his dad is letting him have whatever he wants, it creates illogical boundaries for him. Best thing is to chat with your son about whats going on, without asking questions and then you need to tell his dad whats going on and what it is doing to his son

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

Been and got the rescue remedy and also bouht some lavender oil for on his bed.

The meds he had were prescribed by his docs after 3 years of sleep problems. He was on them for a few weeks only the latter end of last year.

I have tried the no food and squash after tea. Warm baths,reading,gentle music... Over the past few years. He has a radio in the room on quietly as cd player does jot work.

We have tried ignoring it aome not to make an issue of it aswell as taking decisive steps to sort it.

Meds were.my last chance really.

Will certainly be asking about a sleep clinic too.

With the way he feels about his dad too it makes it hard for him to sleep because of that so that is always bothering.

Desperately trying to get his dads support but he has the attitude my house my rules even tho it could easily be making things worse.

The councillors had a meeting with me and the ex about keeping continuity which he very reluctantly attended. So dont really have full co operation from his dad.

Thanks for all the suggestions tho

keep them coming as Will try them out x

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

Katie. x

With all the problems with his feelings towards his dad it makes the sleep situation even harder i think. My mind starts when i go to bed sometimes so know how he feels.

Sounds to me like he is stressing and worrying about the relationship you and his dad have, he is caught in the middle, with you worrying and trying to 'control' him whereas his dad is letting him have whatever he wants, it creates illogical boundaries for him. Best thing is to chat with your son about whats going on, without asking questions and then you need to tell his dad whats going on and what it is doing to his son"

your right in many ways.

His dad puts him to bed at 7 with a dvd as their isnt much communication between him and his son now and we have been down the councilling route as it has caused him problems since his dad left when he was almost 5. He is very open to me about everything so never have any probs getting him to open up with me about his dad. When he saw the councillor she was amazed at the work we had done(me and my parents)to keep him emotionally healthy and she was pleased how well he vocalised how he felt. At home we sit cuddled up on the sofa watching a programme but tv goes off when he goes to bed. His dad says there is no point having him in the longer of an eve(weekend) when our son wont really open up and our lad would rather watch a dvd than sit with his dad. Also if dads girlfriend is watching an unsuitable programme then he is happy our son isnt in the room.

It does make it hard as is getting mixed messages but dad wont give his full support and stick with it.

He said yesterday when discussing it via text(saves me getting sworn at) that he hadnt realised this is for the future and thouht it was short term.

Hope the background helps.

over a year ago

Katie. x

Sounds to me like he is stressing and worrying about the relationship you and his dad have, he is caught in the middle, with you worrying and trying to 'control' him whereas his dad is letting him have whatever he wants, it creates illogical boundaries for him. Best thing is to chat with your son about whats going on, without asking questions and then you need to tell his dad whats going on and what it is doing to his son

your right in many ways.

His dad puts him to bed at 7 with a dvd as their isnt much communication between him and his son now and we have been down the councilling route as it has caused him problems since his dad left when he was almost 5. He is very open to me about everything so never have any probs getting him to open up with me about his dad. When he saw the councillor she was amazed at the work we had done(me and my parents)to keep him emotionally healthy and she was pleased how well he vocalised how he felt. At home we sit cuddled up on the sofa watching a programme but tv goes off when he goes to bed. His dad says there is no point having him in the longer of an eve(weekend) when our son wont really open up and our lad would rather watch a dvd than sit with his dad. Also if dads girlfriend is watching an unsuitable programme then he is happy our son isnt in the room.

It does make it hard as is getting mixed messages but dad wont give his full support and stick with it.

He said yesterday when discussing it via text(saves me getting sworn at) that he hadnt realised this is for the future and thouht it was short term.

Hope the background helps."

perhaps he doesnt want to see the future or think about long term, silly because he needs to do that, boundaries by you need to be adhered to by his dad too but i am glad he talks to you, sounds like you have your head screwed on but dad doesnt. He must learn to talk to his son, if he doesnt really want him there, he needs to say and vice versa, if your son doesnt want to, he shouldnt go, but i bet he does, hitting a brickwall though. And his father should put him first, if there is a programme on unsuitable for him, his girlfriend should go without, son comes first when he is there

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Just my tuppenceworth...

He's a kid, he'll sleep when he's tired.

What time he goes to sleep isnt necesarrily that important. You're looking at the clock & it's stressing you out, but it won't bother him.

Some kids need more sleep than others, just like adults.

I would strongly council against giving a kid meds for sleeping.

Plus, in general, the more you try to get a kid to go to sleep, the less likely they are to do it.

If anything, I would suggest reading. I've always told my son that he can stay awake as late as he likes if he's reading.

This has the double benefit of making tired & sleepy, plus he gets into enjoying books which improves his comprehension, vocab and understanding of the world around him.

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

Katie. x

your right in many ways.

Hope the background helps.

perhaps he doesnt want to see the future or think about long term, silly because he needs to do that, boundaries by you need to be adhered to by his dad too but i am glad he talks to you, sounds like you have your head screwed on but dad doesnt. He must learn to talk to his son, if he doesnt really want him there, he needs to say and vice versa, if your son doesnt want to, he shouldnt go, but i bet he does, hitting a brickwall though. And his father should put him first, if there is a programme on unsuitable for him, his girlfriend should go without, son comes first when he is there"

Pretty much everything you say is right. I dont watch my casualty until son goes to be as its unsuitable. But its his girlfriends house and the ex has never been known for his backbone hence why I am so assertive. The ex and his girlfriend have a 1 year old together and he seems to be the prority for them both now. Ex has shown that to his son too a few times which isnt good.

The ex isnt good with talking about things hence why we got divorced!

He does know he only has himself to blame really for the lack in relationship. He admitted after trying to dicsuss sex and willies with his son recent that he seems more of an uncle to our son now rather than dad

over a year ago

I had problems similar with my daughter not sleeping she was about 10 at the time. Tried everything. In the end I looked into calming colours for her bedroom. Got a memory foam mattress topper for her bed and started an night time routine which consisted of shower, I gave her a lavendar neck and shoulder massage and chatted about her day. A warm milk then we both went up to her room with a book each. She would lay in her bed and I would sit beside the bed and read. No talking just reading together. Took a few weeks but after a while within a couple of lines of reading she was dozing off. We still do this but not every night now. I start waking her up 45 minutes earlier in the morning as she takes a while to function it makes for an easier morning.

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

"Just my tuppenceworth...

He's a kid, he'll sleep when he's tired.

What time he goes to sleep isnt necesarrily that important. You're looking at the clock & it's stressing you out, but it won't bother him.

Some kids need more sleep than others, just like adults.

I would strongly council against giving a kid meds for sleeping.

Plus, in general, the more you try to get a kid to go to sleep, the less likely they are to do it.

If anything, I would suggest reading. I've always told my son that he can stay awake as late as he likes if he's reading.

This has the double benefit of making tired & sleepy, plus he gets into enjoying books which improves his comprehension, vocab and understanding of the world around him.

"

In answer.

The sleep he needs is important and he is the one that is bothered by it more than anyone. He wakes up tired and cant get out of bed, that means he isnt getting enough sleep.

The docs agreed after 3 years of problems that giving him meds was a good idea.

We have also tried for well over 6 months to just ignore it and it didnt make any difference, so in my experience ignoring it didnt do any difference.

We have tried reading as he does say it makes him sleepy sometimes. But other times(last week in particular) he was still reading happily at 11pm after being in bed since 8. Wide awake!

He has recently gotten bog time into reading and cant return books fast enough and get more books so his vocab is becoming streets ahead and loves his books.

Told him last night he could read when he got to bed and wass till reading at 10.30 when I went to bed.

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

"I had problems similar with my daughter not sleeping she was about 10 at the time. Tried everything. In the end I looked into calming colours for her bedroom. Got a memory foam mattress topper for her bed and started an night time routine which consisted of shower, I gave her a lavendar neck and shoulder massage and chatted about her day. A warm milk then we both went up to her room with a book each. She would lay in her bed and I would sit beside the bed and read. No talking just reading together. Took a few weeks but after a while within a couple of lines of reading she was dozing off. We still do this but not every night now. I start waking her up 45 minutes earlier in the morning as she takes a while to function it makes for an easier morning. "

Think I may try similar. Dont relish the thought of 3 hours sat in the kids bedroom of an eve but if it makes a difference and is reccomednded then will try it. Going for the rescue remedy tonight and lavender oil too

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"We have tried reading as he does say it makes him sleepy sometimes. But other times(last week in particular) he was still reading happily at 11pm after being in bed since 8. Wide awake!"

For me, that's fine - let him read.

His body will naturally shut down when it needs to, as will his brain.

I know it's tough (and i've probably got a different approach/outlook) but if he's reading for 3+ hours in bed of a night, i'd be delighted! If more kids did that the world would be a better place.

Plus, if he's not running screaming round the house demoilishing the joint etc all night, then reading for ages isnt a bad alternative.

Importantly, even though he's not sleeping at that time, when he's reading he'll be quiet, relaxed etc & that is a good way to give your body a rest as well.

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

""We have tried reading as he does say it makes him sleepy sometimes. But other times(last week in particular) he was still reading happily at 11pm after being in bed since 8. Wide awake!"

For me, that's fine - let him read.

His body will naturally shut down when it needs to, as will his brain.

I know it's tough (and i've probably got a different approach/outlook) but if he's reading for 3+ hours in bed of a night, i'd be delighted! If more kids did that the world would be a better place.

Plus, if he's not running screaming round the house demoilishing the joint etc all night, then reading for ages isnt a bad alternative.

Importantly, even though he's not sleeping at that time, when he's reading he'll be quiet, relaxed etc & that is a good way to give your body a rest as well.

"

In the past we have tried reading as I said and sometime it does make him sleepy but others he says it makes no difference. It doesnt seem to be clear cut that is works.

I am aware if he is reading he is relaxed and chilling and am very pleased with that but the one thing he isnt, is alseep, which is what i want and so does he.

His body will naturally shut down eventually, yes your right but his body is doing it, but a few hours every night later than it needs to be for him.

It sounds like I have an answer for everything and I apologise but we have tried so many ways and have tried these more than once to see what works for him.

It is bothering him now hence why an appointment at the docs.

I tend to let him go to bed later on a weekend eve but after reading some info on sleepn probs is says that allowing them to stay up later on weekend eves and lay in that it doesnt help so am now going back to bed at 9 pm on weekends(normally 8 school days) and no he wont be happy but he does understand the reasons why we try these things.

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

Remove all things like toys, tv, video games etc from his bedroom. Don't let him use his bedroom during the day or early evening. Then the only association psychologicaly he will have with his bedroom is sleep.

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

Fraid that isnt possible. Him and his brother share a rookie as only a small houae and i have the smaller bedrrom.

Not enough space anywhere else to put all their toys.

over a year ago

Maybe reading is making him stay awake?

I know as a child if I was enjoying a book I'd force myself to keep going till I finished it. xxxx

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

The doctor suggested some breathing exercises and did mention reading today. So we are trying the reading bit again.

Ex now thinks i havent told the docs the full story as he doesnt think him watching a dvd to bed makes a difference to his sleep pattern even tho the doc confirmed this.

Another battle with the ex coming on.

Now have researched all articles on tv and sleep problems and emailed the ex the details. Dont think he is going to like me again!

Post new Message to Thread