Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Tumble dryer

Jump to newest

By *hloe sussex OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Larne

I have one of those tumble dryers with the fault (they catch fire) I spoke to them a month ago and they said an engineer will ring me to arrange a date to modify the dryer which makes it safe ,as no engineer had contacted me I 're phoned them and they said I would get an engineer in October! When I said this is not good enough and I want my monies returned they gave me a number to ring that doesn't exist ,any one else dealing with these problems ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yeah we have had exactly the same problem , we have waited 3 months now for indesit to contact us to do the repair

over a year ago

Larne

"Yeah we have had exactly the same problem , we have waited 3 months now for indesit to contact us to do the repair"

Yes I have the indersit one ,it's so annoying

By *rnortholtMan
over a year ago

E Suffolk

Was chatting with a fire investigator the other day and he said all tumble dryers are regularly involved in fires.

You get cooking oil/grease etc on clothes. The stain doesn't come out in the wash and then the tumble dryer heats it to the point where it catches fire.

Guess if you have a diesel van or car then the last bit should be a no brainer!

over a year ago

It was on BBC breakfast tv this morning and they were quoting 6-8 weeks for an engineer. ...

In the interim one family had their house burnt down

I would try and ensure you fluff bust that filter every time you use the machine, or stick your clothes on the radiator

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

Frisky got a letter a few days ago asking would we like to wait 6 months for an engineer or buy a new £299 tumble dryer for £99.

We had the new one delivered on Tuesday...

over a year ago

"Frisky got a letter a few days ago asking would we like to wait 6 months for an engineer or buy a new £299 tumble dryer for £99.

"

We would go with that option if it was offered

over a year ago

What company is that with that sounds terrible. Im currently dealing with a similiar problem but not as bad, i got a boiler with hasslefreeboilers, 2 months later this leak comes through the kitchen cieling, i get some roofers and a plumber in to look in the kitchen roof but they cant see anything there (couldve been a weather related leak or waste water pipes also go through there) then the plumber investigated knocking a hole in the kitchen cieling where the leak was and the skirting off in the spare bedroom and found a pipe leaking inside the wall so it had been a slow leak that had eventually worked its way down. The reason was they'd attached a new combi boiler to an old lead pipe and your not supposed to do that apparantly, and part of hasslefreeboilers deal is to replace all gas and water pipework up to standard when they install the boiler.

Anyway they come install a new pipe thats fine but I politely ask for payment of the costs it took to investigate the leak and repairs, and despite explaining it in detail, the woman emailed back saying she was 'perplexed' that I didnt go to them in the first place, seemed quite rude had to take a deep breath and refrain from abuse, and explain again that there was no way of knowing that this leak was boiler related, and now they havnt replied for a week despite numerous methods of contact

Sorry this ended up so long

over a year ago

"Frisky got a letter a few days ago asking would we like to wait 6 months for an engineer or buy a new £299 tumble dryer for £99.

We would go with that option if it was offered "

Check your emails, its not well marked. They sent one with instructions on how to clean the fluff but about halfway down the email is a link to the repair center which has the offer for tumbledryers.

Personally I've found the offer to be quite crap as the one they have offered for £99 is a lower spec machine than the one I have so for me its worth waiting. As to how long that will be ......

over a year ago

Larne

"

What about the £200 you have paid for something you cannot use ,do you then.have to pay £99 to get the new one,if so you have paid for it anyway ? Am I being dumb ?

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

What about the £200 you have paid for something you cannot use ,do you then.have to pay £99 to get the new one,if so you have paid for it anyway ? Am I being dumb ?"

Ours was probably 5 years old ...

The new one takes a bigger load, higher spec and is cheaper to run.

over a year ago

Larne

What about the £200 you have paid for something you cannot use ,do you then.have to pay £99 to get the new one,if so you have paid for it anyway ? Am I being dumb ?

Ours was probably 5 years old ...

The new one takes a bigger load, higher spec and is cheaper to run."

Got ya

By *trawberry-popWoman
over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

I don't use a tumble dryer. Better for the environment, better for my pocket, better for my fabrics and apparently better for fire safety.

over a year ago

Larne

"I don't use a tumble dryer. Better for the environment, better for my pocket, better for my fabrics and apparently better for fire safety. (thum

b)"

How do you dry your clothes in bad weather ?

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"I don't use a tumble dryer. Better for the environment, better for my pocket, better for my fabrics and apparently better for fire safety. "

I've never had one, except I've just started using my late dad's machine - I'm not fully comfortable doing so but it's been helpful. I used launderettes for it, if ever stuck before.

Thankfully not an indesit.

I'd expect an immediate free one, if they couldn't repair mine in a matter of days, as it wouldn't have been fit for purpose and of sufficient quality, when sold. I'd happily pursue them in the small claims court.

Op - I'd write formally notifying them of your demands and claim for replacement within 14 days, with an equal or better drier.

over a year ago

Just checked my emails.. only a video on how to clean it properly. No link for any offers.. been waiting patiently for three months now. Heard nothing.

By *exybabyMan
over a year ago

Canterbury....ish

Got a Hoover tumble dryer here...was part of a combo with a Hoover washing machine bought at the same time.

The washing machine gave up the ghost but the tumble dryer is still going strong some 25 years later....

...trouble is, they don't make them like they used to.....almost as if they are now built to 'last' just outside the warranty.

Also had a LEC fridge / freezer...lasted 26 years and only replaced because the rubber seals were no longer airtight.

Also if you buy cheap...you end up buying twice....though that is not rule of thumb!

These days manufacturers are NOT interested in their customers. Recently I had to replace a printer (within its warranty) that just 'gave up'...HP were not at all concerned and fobbed me off so much that I just ditched it and bought another (different brand).

Manufacturers will do as little as is possible for their customers in the hope that the customer gives up.

over a year ago

Larne

"Got a Hoover tumble dryer here...was part of a combo with a Hoover washing machine bought at the same time.

The washing machine gave up the ghost but the tumble dryer is still going strong some 25 years later....

...trouble is, they don't make them like they used to.....almost as if they are now built to 'last' just outside the warranty.

Also had a LEC fridge / freezer...lasted 26 years and only replaced because the rubber seals were no longer airtight.

Also if you buy cheap...you end up buying twice....though that is not rule of thumb!

These days manufacturers are NOT interested in their customers. Recently I had to replace a printer (within its warranty) that just 'gave up'...HP were not at all concerned and fobbed me off so much that I just ditched it and bought another (different brand).

Manufacturers will do as little as is possible for their customers in the hope that the customer gives up. "

Trouble is the company can't ignore this ,it's not just there breaking down there causing fires one a day apparently and God for bid a death occurs because of this they have to act and act asap

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

"Yeah we have had exactly the same problem , we have waited 3 months now for indesit to contact us to do the repair

Yes I have the indersit one ,it's so annoying"

sounds to me like your indershit...

over a year ago

Every time we put ours on I worry that my house will be gone with me inside it!

over a year ago

" I have one of those tumble dryers with the fault (they catch fire) I spoke to them a month ago and they said an engineer will ring me to arrange a date to modify the dryer which makes it safe ,as no engineer had contacted me I 're phoned them and they said I would get an engineer in October! When I said this is not good enough and I want my monies returned they gave me a number to ring that doesn't exist ,any one else dealing with these problems ?"

Yeah I had it too

I got a letter from them telling to to call and make an appointment to modify it, when I did they kept fobbing me off, I just threw it out and bought another, I have kids and couldn't risk it catching fire, their life's are worth more than the cost of a new dryer

Job done

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"I don't use a tumble dryer. Better for the environment, better for my pocket, better for my fabrics and apparently better for fire safety. (thum

b)

How do you dry your clothes in bad weather ?"

Do what generations did before tumble dryers: hang them up indoors or outside when it's not raining.

By *leepyangelCouple
over a year ago

over the hill and far away

I've got something called a dry buddy. It's basically a clothes rack with hot air blown into a tent

Works wonders

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Was chatting with a fire investigator the other day and he said all tumble dryers are regularly involved in fires.

You get cooking oil/grease etc on clothes. The stain doesn't come out in the wash and then the tumble dryer heats it to the point where it catches fire.

Guess if you have a diesel van or car then the last bit should be a no brainer!"

i think the FI may have been talking about one specific incident as the stats would be through the roof on fires with tumble dryers where that the

case..

in 20 plus years i can recall half a dozen incidents and the issue was in 3 of them purely down to lack of routine emptying of the collected lint ..

clothes if washed properly as per the dirt will not retain the dirt..

where all tumble dryers involved in a fire even if you said in the 10 to 15 yrs old bracket then that would be over a year hundreds of thousands..

over a year ago

Yes still waiting to hear xx

By *trawberry-popWoman
over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

b)

How do you dry your clothes in bad weather ?"

On an airer. My home is warm. They dry just fine.

By *odareyouMan
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

I saw a program I'm pretty certain it was good morning, Alice someone was interviewing the head of whirlpool ..he said their engineers had visited 3590 homes yesterday modifying dryers.. they quoted 3.5 million machines in the UK were effected under various whirlpool makes, ... If thats accurate and they maintain that rate the maths oworks out u could be waiting about 3 years.. he kept saying if you operated as per guideline s and you weren't to leave the machine unattended they were safe yada yada.. that Alice someone suggested your contract was with the store as such you should take it back to them as it had beern sold (unknowingly at the time) with a fault and demand a replacement.. I've a feeling this story will have a tragic ending..

Post new Message to Thread