Jump to newest

By *aris_12456 OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

leyland

Councils starting a 26.92 quid to pick up fallen residents in there homes

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Odd amount, who came up with that figure?

over a year ago

What's your point? That they shouldn't be providing that service, that it's too much, that they shouldn't be charging?

over a year ago

leyland

Shouldn't be charging in my opinio, I think it disgusting if I say so myself.

over a year ago

leyland

"Odd amount, who came up with that figure?"
probably Donald Trump

over a year ago

"Shouldn't be charging in my opinio, I think it disgusting if I say so myself."

So how should adult social care be funded? Because the central government funding for it has been slashed, councils have been limited on council tax increases since 2010, more and more older people with more and more complex needs require help, so something has to give.

over a year ago

"Councils starting a 26.92 quid to pick up fallen residents in there homes "

Is that if they get called out ? Do you mean to any property or those with alarms ? I'm thinking it must be sheltered housing ? I'd question if someone should stay in a property if they are constantly falling - I know the falls clinics are good.

Sarah

over a year ago

"Shouldn't be charging in my opinio, I think it disgusting if I say so myself.

So how should adult social care be funded? Because the central government funding for it has been slashed, councils have been limited on council tax increases since 2010, more and more older people with more and more complex needs require help, so something has to give. "

This i dont think people really get what has been going on the last several years in local goverment xx

over a year ago

"So how should adult social care be funded? Because the central government funding for it has been slashed, councils have been limited on council tax increases since 2010, "

Council Tax is at as high a level as it can be possibly raised without people getting into further dept than they are already in, remember they have a mortgage or rent to pay as well as all living costs then a huge council tax bill which gives very little in return

the people on minimum or living wage find it hard enough to struggle, Council Tax should be going down not up

over a year ago

"Councils starting a 26.92 quid to pick up fallen residents in there homes

Is that if they get called out ? Do you mean to any property or those with alarms ? I'm thinking it must be sheltered housing ? I'd question if someone should stay in a property if they are constantly falling - I know the falls clinics are good.

Sarah "

Yes sheltered housing and its not just for a fall

its anytime the red chord is pulled,

over a year ago

"So how should adult social care be funded? Because the central government funding for it has been slashed, councils have been limited on council tax increases since 2010,

Council Tax is at as high a level as it can be possibly raised without people getting into further dept than they are already in, remember they have a mortgage or rent to pay as well as all living costs then a huge council tax bill which gives very little in return

the people on minimum or living wage find it hard enough to struggle, Council Tax should be going down not up"

Ok but costs go up every year funding is been slahed from the top...money cant be generated from council tax so who pays??

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Councils starting a 26.92 quid to pick up fallen residents in there homes "

Right, so it's actually an annual fee to have an emergency panic button with immediate access to a carer in case of emergencies in order to stop ambulances being called out.

Sorry if the truth doesn't quite fit the rhetoric...

Mr ddc

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Odd amount, who came up with that figure?"

I'm reporting this post to the mods - you know full well this is going to bug me all day now

(So far I've got 7p per day, with time and a half for bank holidays, but I'm still 9p short Do councils still get extra bank holidays?)

over a year ago

"So how should adult social care be funded? Because the central government funding for it has been slashed, councils have been limited on council tax increases since 2010,

the people on minimum or living wage find it hard enough to struggle, Council Tax should be going down not up"

Unless you are a high needs elderly person, high needs disabled person or a child in care you will never get much "in return" for your council tax. Council tax which has barely increased in any areas for a number of years now.

So if CT bills have to be kept down, where is the funding for these services to come from? Perhaps the service users - like this proposal?

Because it's been made plain by the government that the costs of local authority services should be pushed down to local areas, as central government grant will be nil by the end of this parliament, so councils can only get money through CT, business rates or charges.

over a year ago

"Odd amount, who came up with that figure?

I'm reporting this post to the mods - you know full well this is going to bug me all day now

(So far I've got 7p per day, with time and a half for bank holidays, but I'm still 9p short Do councils still get extra bank holidays?)

"

Councils never got extra bank holidays...that's the civil service

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"Shouldn't be charging in my opinio, I think it disgusting if I say so myself."
so are you saying that anyone's job that involves caring for people should do it voluntarily?

over a year ago

Council tax needs rebranding when devolution lands.

Only around 10% goes to my council with the lion share being taken by the police and fire services.

Most councils have pretty much frozen any increases for years and it's starting to hurt them - the decision is purely a political one from councillors and not by officers.

over a year ago

I just wrote out a check for over $3,000 to pay my property taxes on my house in New York (and it's a very small house by American standards). By comparison, I think Council taxes are artificially low. Just raise Council taxes and you won't have to have fees for specific services.

But no one wants ANY prices raised - that's the real problem.

-Courtney

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

The reason I don't buy from Amazon and business that pay little tax is because we need that tax revenue to maintain a decent country and infrastructure that supports them doing business, including the well being of the people here.

The councils are being held to ransom by central government who have the power to change our tax systems, unlike local government who don't have this ability.

The fee sounds like a recipe to have someone fall and be afraid to call to get help - probably with knock on consequences for health costs downstream.

By *anchestercubMan
over a year ago

manchester & NI

"Shouldn't be charging in my opinio, I think it disgusting if I say so myself.

So how should adult social care be funded? Because the central government funding for it has been slashed, councils have been limited on council tax increases since 2010, more and more older people with more and more complex needs require help, so something has to give. "

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"The reason I don't buy from Amazon and business that pay little tax is because we need that tax revenue to maintain a decent country and infrastructure that supports them doing business, including the well being of the people here.

The councils are being held to ransom by central government who have the power to change our tax systems, unlike local government who don't have this ability.

The fee sounds like a recipe to have someone fall and be afraid to call to get help - probably with knock on consequences for health costs downstream."

Might I suggest you go to the 12th post and digest?

As for Amazon and the like, not buying from them will not make them pay! They are doing nothing illegal, just following the very strict rule, very strictly!

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

It's also worth pointing out that my Gran paid an annual fee for on-site warden emergency response when she lived in sheltered accommodation back in the 80s, so this scheme simply uses modern technology to extend it to people who live in their own homes. And, as always, only people considered 'rich' will pay.

And before we hone the pitchforks, the people it actually affects think it's a wonderful idea...

And at 7p a day, it seems a bargain for the peace of mind it must bring.

Mr ddc

over a year ago

MPs are getting another pay rise btw. It's only £1000 a year this april though.

over a year ago

I think we should arrange something communal where old people don't have to rely on money to help them out and people just help them because they live nearby or are family.

over a year ago

If it's a yearly fee for a service I'd pay it for my relative if they didn't want to live with me.

Post new Message to Thread