Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Tummy fat

Jump to newest

By *umpleteazer OP   Woman
over a year ago

Flintshire

Calling all fitness experts!

I've lost 7 stone over the last 4 years, 2 in the last few months from illness. My arms and legs are now skinny, I have no arse to speak off, but I still have a huge tummy. I look like a ribena berry!

Obviously I need to do some exercise apart from walking to shift it from this area. I read once that sit ups just build the muscle underneath and make it stick out even more. Is this true? What else can I try?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

You can get a pot belly from sit ups, depending on your technique. Holding in your pelvic floor is said to help.

You can lose fat from specific body parts with magic exercises, you'd need lipo or something similar. You'll lose your belly as well as fat all over as you continue to exercise. Perhaps focus on your core.

over a year ago

Standing straighter, and toning stomach, back and side muscles will help you with a flatter stomach as everything gets pulled in a bit more.

But, stomachs are the last to lose fat for lots of people.

Have to keep the diet going too. Sorry x

over a year ago

Try the app couch to 5k I've found it really good and also swimming Hun.

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

You can't spot reduce fat, unfortunately. You just need to keep losing fat until it goes.

Any effort you make on toning now will show as the fat goes.

Belly fat is stubborn It's where all of mine is too. Well, there and my boobs but I'd rather keep most of the boobs!

over a year ago

I have the same thing.

And got a theory that if you can 'hold in' your stomach muscles when you concentrate on doing that then surely exercising them will make that 'hold in' permanent?

Anyone know? My stomach only disappears if i don't eat for a few days.

over a year ago

The first thing you need to do is go on a diet and keep it below maintenance, for women its 2000, so go 600 below, to 1400kcal and do cardio everyday, focus on protein and keep the carbs very low and aim for the carbles carb sources like vegetables, good luck x.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"The first thing you need to do is go on a diet and keep it below maintenance, for women its 2000, so go 600 below, to 1400kcal and do cardio everyday, focus on protein and keep the carbs very low and aim for the carbles carb sources like vegetables, good luck x."

Do you want to be my PT

By *aeriequeenWoman
over a year ago

Manchester

"The first thing you need to do is go on a diet and keep it below maintenance, for women its 2000, so go 600 below, to 1400kcal and do cardio everyday, focus on protein and keep the carbs very low and aim for the carbles carb sources like vegetables, good luck x."

In that case my tummy fst is staying

over a year ago

"The first thing you need to do is go on a diet and keep it below maintenance, for women its 2000, so go 600 below, to 1400kcal and do cardio everyday, focus on protein and keep the carbs very low and aim for the carbles carb sources like vegetables, good luck x.

Do you want to be my PT "

Yes I would. I know a thing or too there

over a year ago

"The first thing you need to do is go on a diet and keep it below maintenance, for women its 2000, so go 600 below, to 1400kcal and do cardio everyday, focus on protein and keep the carbs very low and aim for the carbles carb sources like vegetables, good luck x.

In that case my tummy fst is staying "

It does sound hard but you would do it slowly, so you wouldn't jump straight to the lower end, so reduce it bit by bit.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Do you want to be my PT Yes I would. I know a thing or too there "

I know you do

over a year ago

Do you want to be my PT Yes I would. I know a thing or too there

I know you do "

That is right

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

In that case my tummy fst is staying It does sound hard but you would do it slowly, so you wouldn't jump straight to the lower end, so reduce it bit by bit."

1400 calories is easy. But boring.

As for exercise every day... ugh.

over a year ago

In that case my tummy fst is staying It does sound hard but you would do it slowly, so you wouldn't jump straight to the lower end, so reduce it bit by bit.

As for exercise every day... ugh."

That is right, not much food you can eat. I use myfitnesspal to keep the count what I have left to eat, handy to use.

By *aeriequeenWoman
over a year ago

Manchester

In that case my tummy fst is staying It does sound hard but you would do it slowly, so you wouldn't jump straight to the lower end, so reduce it bit by bit."

True..my divorce diet worked but that was alot quicker and probably not very healthy for me. Thank you for the advice

By *unloversCouple
over a year ago

rotherham

My weightwatchers diet works....And I do a lot of walking and use a hula hoop for my waist

Daft I know but for me it works

Just need to tighten up my lose skin now somehow if anyone has any suggestions

Xxx

By *ilmiss75Woman
over a year ago

Thornton

You will never get rid of your so called apron that's been left from losing weight unless you have surgery.

over a year ago

An AB toning belt and a lot of bloody hard work

over a year ago

Could also be excess skin, it only stretches so far, this isn't problem, even though I exercise a lot, my torso will not firm up, I did used to be almost 18stone back in my early 30s

By *ohnjones3210Man
over a year ago

Chester

"Calling all fitness experts!

I've lost 7 stone over the last 4 years, 2 in the last few months from illness. My arms and legs are now skinny, I have no arse to speak off, but I still have a huge tummy. I look like a ribena berry!

Obviously I need to do some exercise apart from walking to shift it from this area. I read once that sit ups just build the muscle underneath and make it stick out even more. Is this true? What else can I try?

"

Hiya!

Unfortunately, you cannot choose where to lose weight from. If you exersise your arms for example, it doesn't mean that your arms will lose fat. It does mean that they will become more toned though.

When you exersise, if you do not have any immediately available energy, your body takes fats from around your body, and burns those for energy. It chooses where it takes it's energy from though. It usually takes it from the last place where it was stored.

It works more like an onion, in layers.

To do what you're trying to do, I think you will need to eat less calories and do more exercise.

Your body will start to use up what it has stored as energy and it will start disappearing.

Go to see your doctor though before doing anything like this.

Xxx

over a year ago

well done on the weight loss -

i have a vague memory from a past exercise class that its something to do with how you breathe whilst exercising - this can affect how the muscle develops and yes ive heard that it can make tummy look bigger if done incorrectly - breathe in whilst crunched up and out whilst straightening up is how i remember it

over a year ago

You look fit as you are!

over a year ago

In that case my tummy fst is staying It does sound hard but you would do it slowly, so you wouldn't jump straight to the lower end, so reduce it bit by bit.

True..my divorce diet worked but that was alot quicker and probably not very healthy for me. Thank you for the advice "

Yes yw and ur right the divorce diet worked pretty well there x.

over a year ago

First off wow well done you that's and outstanding achievement I bet your over the moon with those achievements.

The best way to improve is all through your diet as abs are made int he kitchen mainly. You can check out bodybuildingdotcom for useful hints and tips to achieve your next goal...Its a free site for everyone. Good luck...

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

Posture:

over a year ago

Look back at the women of the past they was all slim great figures in the good old sixties and seventies just for example when life was simpler..

Wife's scrubbing and cleaning The dutiful ..mm lol every day running a family home maybe ladies of today takexa look back and be inspired...

over a year ago

You can't lose weight from a specific area. All you can do as get as fit as possible. Good luck

over a year ago

My points are facts the women of past where alot more active if they were not doing chores they did a clearly alot of dancing lol too

over a year ago

Flintshire

As for exercise every day... ugh."

I'm already on less than 1400 calories as I'm not too well and can barely keep anything down (hence the rapid weight loss lately rather than the steady loss before). This has made quite weak too. Obviously something to concentrate on when better I suppose

over a year ago

Flintshire

"You will never get rid of your so called apron that's been left from losing weight unless you have surgery."

Maybe I should stick with the belly then than have an apron....at least the belly props my boobs up lol

over a year ago

Flintshire

"Could also be excess skin, it only stretches so far, this isn't problem, even though I exercise a lot, my torso will not firm up, I did used to be almost 18stone back in my early 30s "

Definitely fat lol. Got excess skin at the tops of my legs and arms but the belly is definitely full!

Well done you on your weight loss!

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/02/16 15:57:20]

over a year ago

Here's a tip. If you want to lose belly fat stop eating peanut butter m&ms.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

I don't put much emphasis on diets. Yes you should probably watch what you eat but when people start fastidiously totting up and logging all what is eaten in a day, you are just going to end the day hungry, bored, frustrated or worse of all disappointed if you fail and go over.

Stomachs are a difficult area to tone and do take time but core exercises are really the only thing for it. Once you have decent core strength you'll find other resistance exercise a lot easier to do too though transference.

Good posture is key, as people have said. The slower you do the exercise both on the up and down movement the more control is needed and the harder it is to do - consequently the more you can feel the area being worked and the more you can concentrate on the muscle group.

I would say imbalance exercises with a yoga ball, or maybe something with a medicine ball would be low impact yet easy to get a good variety of exercises with? An under door sit up bar could help down the line

over a year ago

"You can't spot reduce fat, unfortunately. You just need to keep losing fat until it goes.

Any effort you make on toning now will show as the fat goes.

Belly fat is stubborn It's where all of mine is too. Well, there and my boobs but I'd rather keep most of the boobs! "

Agree. You can't spot reduce you just have to keep going. Some people just hold on to fat in certain areas. Increase your water intake as most people get confused with fat and extracellular water. Flush this out to see if this helps. It'll take a week or so.

With regard to the pot belly thing. Your abs have stretched and you just need to tighten your core.

Planks and transverse abdominal exercises will do this.

Fasted cardio first thing is a great fat burner.

By *ugbyguy01Man
over a year ago

Bristol

High Intensity Interval Training is the winner for fat burning!

Get yourself on the rowing machine for minute sprints, and 30 second rests. Try and do those for as many cycles as you can. They're a killer but really good at getting your body lean.

If you've considered taking supplements whilst you work out: Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) are good for encouraging your body to use fat as an energy source in advance of using muscle (which is usually the case, being an easier energy source).

over a year ago

T25!

It's guided HIIT that you can do in your own living room. It was all the rage a few years ago but I'm THAT lazy that I've only just started doing it. You need no equipment (other than a yoga mat for some stuff if you have a hard floor).

You can buy the kit and DVDs and all that off Amazon for £105, but if the idea is not to spend too much (i.e. a gym membership) then drop me a message as I may have come by the video files for free

over a year ago

Ah no Edit button.

I put no stock in diets at all, because if you have to force yourself to eat healthy what are the chances you're going to stick to it? Everything in moderation.

However, you can monitor and measure what you eat. If you've got a smartphone I recommend MyFitnessPal. You can log your exercise and food in there, as well as your vital statistics and how much you want to lose and by when - it'll advise you what your daily intake should be (as well as if your goal is unrealistic from a health POV) as well as watching what you eat in terms of 'are you getting enough iron / protein / etc)

If you have an activity tracker (Fitbit, Apple Watch, Withings, etc) it can also talk to those so any time you exercise it automatically adds to the app.

over a year ago

Simple longterm exercise not a short term quick fix longevity is key obviously the owd situps obviously help

Post new Message to Thread