Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

When did you last go to the library?

Jump to newest

By *anchestercub OP   Man
over a year ago

manchester & NI

There's a bit of a protest movement it seems about cuts to funding to libraries, but I'm just wondering how many fabsters actually use their local library?

The Central Library here in Manchester is a gorgeous building but it offers lots of different services so it's always pretty busy.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Last Weds

over a year ago

manchester & NI

"Last Weds"

Get told off for making too much noise?

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Last Weds

Get told off for making too much noise? "

Oh.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Last Weds

Oh."

I see what you did there.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Last Weds

Oh.

I see what you did there."

*laughs politely*

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

At least 2 years.

I took a book back a week or so late and the charge for the fine could have paid for the book.

Left me with a bitter taste and I haven't been back since.

By *yldstyleWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

Last week. I go quite a bit with the lady I look after.

over a year ago

2 weeks ago.

over a year ago

"Last Weds

Oh.

I see what you did there.

*laughs politely*

Made me laugh

"

over a year ago

2 weeks ago x my kids normally go more often

over a year ago

I went last week still got 4 books on loan I go at least once or twice a week xxx

over a year ago

I went last year to print something when I didn't have a printer otherwise available.

A long time ago, in a land far far away, I had a battle with the library because they claimed I checked out a book I had never heard of. The cost of the replacement and fine was well over $50. I refused to pay. But then they refused to loan me any more books

I don't go where I'm not welcome.

-Courtney

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I work above ours!!! It recently moved & has iPads & all high tech. And we also have 1 at the end of our road. We visit a lot but then I have kids. If I didn't then I probably wouldn't visit at all

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

The problem with libraries is that they are white, middle class preserve.

If your town has a library, it's a mark of civilisation or something...

I love books.

Probably more than the next 10 posters. But recently I was having a debate over a passage from the Bible with friends and, rather than go upstairs and fish out the relevant bit from my illustrated copy, I turned to the laptop and Googled it.

In that one moment my entire library, which is a lifetime's work, became redundant.

Close libraries or make them relevant spaces for the communities they serve. Books are dead.

over a year ago

New York Library in May 2015, beautiful architecture but didn't read any books...

previous to that prob 18yrs ago when took daughter to do some homework...

xx

over a year ago

"The problem with libraries is that they are white, middle class preserve.

I love books.

Probably more than the next 10 posters. But recently I was having a debate over a passage from the Bible with friends and, rather than go upstairs and fish out the relevant bit from my illustrated copy, I turned to the laptop and Googled it.

In that one moment my entire library, which is a lifetime's work, became redundant.

Close libraries or make them relevant spaces for the communities they serve. Books are dead. "

In most US cities, libraries are where homeless people go when it's too cold/hot outside.

By *eanut Butter CupWoman
over a year ago

B & M Bargains

6 months ago when I wanted a "quiet" place to study.. It was anything but!!

over a year ago

There are millions who can't Google. I think they they may beg to differ.

over a year ago

I love books.

Close libraries or make them relevant spaces for the communities they serve. Books are dead. "

I prefer books im a bit old fashioned I love the feel of paper and live to read xxx

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"There are millions who can't Google. I think they they may beg to differ. "

Is what I'm saying - *books* are dead - information is king

over a year ago

5 days a week

over a year ago

"

I prefer books im a bit old fashioned I love the feel of paper and live to read xxx"

But are they from the library or from other sources eg book shop, friends shelf, Amazon etc. ..

xx

over a year ago

manchester & NI

"5 days a week "

Do you work in a library?

Otherwise that's hardcore library loyalty.

over a year ago

Saturday and I'll be there again this Saturday. Use it or lose it, books are wonderful things (so are cheap cds)

over a year ago

"There are millions who can't Google. I think they they may beg to differ.

Is what I'm saying - *books* are dead - information is king"

And when the lights go out?

over a year ago

"

I prefer books im a bit old fashioned I love the feel of paper and live to read xxx

But are they from the library or from other sources eg book shop, friends shelf, Amazon etc. ..

xx "

nope either library gifts or ones ive had passed down to me from family ive never ordered a book offline xx

over a year ago

Regularly. Either to borrow books, or to print something out (ain't got no printer myself).

By *-4pleasureCouple
over a year ago

Belfast

I love books.

Close libraries or make them relevant spaces for the communities they soerve. Books are dead. "

For someone who loves books "more than the next ten posters" (how arrogant) you obviously haven't spent much time recently in a library.

Libraries run job clubs, kids clubs, IT courses, senior citizen clubs, knitting clubs, quilt making clubs (known locally as "bitch and stitch" ) and creative writing classes - to name but some activities.

The days of "shush" are long gone. Regarding your comment that books are dead - what nonsense!

And as for your assertion that they are a white middle class preserve - you really need to get out and into a library and stop making lazy assumptions.

over a year ago

"I went last week still got 4 books on loan I go at least once or twice a week xxx"

I never knew hottie's could be found at the library!

I'm going to dig my library card out!

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Regarding your comment that books are dead - what nonsense!

And as for your assertion that they are a white middle class preserve - you really need to get out and into a library and stop making lazy assumptions."

I do. Regularly go to the library.

It's full of old white people who cba to pay for their newspapers.

over a year ago

I love books.

Close libraries or make them relevant spaces for the communities they soerve. Books are dead.

For someone who loves books "more than the next ten posters" (how arrogant) you obviously haven't spent much time recently in a library.

Libraries run job clubs, kids clubs, IT courses, senior citizen clubs, knitting clubs, quilt making clubs (known locally as "bitch and stitch" ) and creative writing classes - to name but some activities.

The days of "shush" are long gone. Regarding your comment that books are dead - what nonsense!

And as for your assertion that they are a white middle class preserve - you really need to get out and into a library and stop making lazy assumptions."

Aye, tis the black spot curse of Google...

over a year ago

"I went last week still got 4 books on loan I go at least once or twice a week xxx

I never knew hottie's could be found at the library!

I'm going to dig my library card out!"

lol doubt you'll find me in a library near you

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

And as for your assertion that they are a white middle class preserve - you really need to get out and into a library and stop making lazy assumptions.

It's full of old white people who cba to pay for their newspapers."

It used to be full of books and had the most beautiful wooden bookcases. All gone.

There are free to access computers, courses and groups going on.

If a space can't be relevant to the public it serves, then what is its point?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It's full of old white people who cba to pay for their newspapers."

I was in our library last Monday and each time I go its full of the people you describe but that is during the day when young people are at work. I agree it isn't relevant to the community I see nothing there for a thirty year old asian woman or a 14 year old from a Chinese background or any of the large eastern European community let alone the very large white working class population but there is a petition to sign against the cuts and a questionnaire about opening hours which incidentally exclude just about everyone but the retired.

over a year ago

I love books.

Not around my way they aren't. Our library is always full of people of all races,but predominantly black. It's above the council's one stop shop and has a children's area where they have adults reading to children on a weekly basis.

over a year ago

Last week, the sprogs use it all the time. Though I don't myself add I can get anything I want on my kindle or on the Web

over a year ago

"5 days a week

Do you work in a library?

Otherwise that's hardcore library loyalty. "

Maybe

Post new Message to Thread