Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

retainig wall made of slabs

Jump to newest

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

recently had one made of standard slabs, I wanted to duplicate what they did to make the patio area a slab wider, I seen the trench they dug to drop the slabs into, but not sure if they used a 900mm slab standing on its head to drop in deep into the trench, or was it just a 600x600 slab, do you think just 300mm deep is going to hold, it's not going to be holding to much weight. ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *tillup4funMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

Measure how much slab is visable if you saw the trench they dug you should know I would say yes 300mm is enough if the sail is packed down hard.

By *tillup4funMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

Soil sorry

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

"Measure how much slab is visable if you saw the trench they dug you should know I would say yes 300mm is enough if the sail is packed down hard."
only had a quick glance at the trench, I don't think it was deep enough to have taken around 600mm.

By *al2001Man
over a year ago

kildare

300 mm fine for patio

No harm putting in more,you never know you might put in that conservatory she's been asking for and could use same foundations

By *al2001Man
over a year ago

kildare

"300 mm fine for patio

No harm putting in more,you never know you might put in that conservatory she's been asking for and could use same foundations"

Some time in the future I meant

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Put some lean mix in bottom of trench first see how much slab is above ground .double that putting the slab on end then lean mix both sides of upended slab to just below grass or finished level . Use dick cutter if necessary to get required slab measurement . You can always use the slab of cuts for infill to bring internal surface up to required level then lay on a sharp sand mortar mix . Job done

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Disc cutter

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

400mm below ground 200mm above ground stops it pushing out at top when your compacting the surface

the next size up is 3' x 2'

think yourself lucky that you dont have stone flags used as a boundary wall like ours as there 3ft in ground 2ft above

Post new Message to Thread