FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

If you use Windows 7 some important advice.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

This subject came up weeks ago on a thread about changing to Linux and I've now talked with about four people who found their Windows 7 PC starting to download and update to Windows 10 without their consent and for several rolling back to 7 was a mess. Here's why it happened :

Microsoft are disappointed that the take up of 10 is well short of their target so they're now twisting users arms. If you have your setting for "system updates" set to automatic - suspect most will - then Microsoft WILL simply go ahead and install 10. Here are some words from their web-site : "The Windows 10 November Update, which includes additional features and improvements, will automatically download and install when it becomes available."

You need to watch out for a change to your "Start button", if you see it has a yellow shield with black "!" next to "Shut Down" . . DO NOT CLICK ON IT!

Open "Control Panel" from the start menu, click on "system and security", scroll down to "Windows Update" and click on "Check for updates".

Most probably you'll see that the new blue box logo of 10 is staring at you with a get started button . . ignore it but click on "Show all updates". You might think from that you're not agreeing to the update BUT you are!

Look at the second line "Optional" and you may see it includes at least "1" with an affirmative tick in the box for "Upgrade to Windows 10, etc."

. . . simply UN-TICK THE CHOICE BOX!

This will stop the automatic upgrade until you re-start your PC but you can I think stop it coming back. Before you leave that part of the "Updates" you can, if you can find it, make your setting "Do not show me optional updates", turn off that chioce if you can.

Your Start button will still display the yellow shield but now it won't perform an automatic upgrade . . . reckon Microsoft will find a way to stop you doing the above at some point though.

This gumpf isn't about not upgrading to 10 as most will eventually, it's about YOU doing it when you're ready. OK?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

sneaky

over a year ago

"This subject came up weeks ago on a thread about changing to Linux and I've now talked with about four people who found their Windows 7 PC starting to download and update to Windows 10 without their consent and for several rolling back to 7 was a mess. Here's why it happened :

Microsoft are disappointed that the take up of 10 is well short of their target so they're now twisting users arms. If you have your setting for "system updates" set to automatic - suspect most will - then Microsoft WILL simply go ahead and install 10. Here are some words from their web-site : "The Windows 10 November Update, which includes additional features and improvements, will automatically download and install when it becomes available."

You need to watch out for a change to your "Start button", if you see it has a yellow shield with black "!" next to "Shut Down" . . DO NOT CLICK ON IT!

Open "Control Panel" from the start menu, click on "system and security", scroll down to "Windows Update" and click on "Check for updates".

Most probably you'll see that the new blue box logo of 10 is staring at you with a get started button . . ignore it but click on "Show all updates". You might think from that you're not agreeing to the update BUT you are!

Look at the second line "Optional" and you may see it includes at least "1" with an affirmative tick in the box for "Upgrade to Windows 10, etc."

. . . simply UN-TICK THE CHOICE BOX!

This will stop the automatic upgrade until you re-start your PC but you can I think stop it coming back. Before you leave that part of the "Updates" you can, if you can find it, make your setting "Do not show me optional updates", turn off that chioce if you can.

Your Start button will still display the yellow shield but now it won't perform an automatic upgrade . . . reckon Microsoft will find a way to stop you doing the above at some point though.

This gumpf isn't about not upgrading to 10 as most will eventually, it's about YOU doing it when you're ready. OK? "

thankyou yes I don't want windows 10 heard too many bad things

By *he Queen of TartsWoman
Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

Windows 10 did an automatic install on my sons laptop a few months back. Killed it. Had to take it in have the hard drive wiped and Win 8 re-installed. A right pain in the arse that was

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 09/02/16 10:24:31]

over a year ago

I hate windows 8. In my opinion windows 10 was a huge improvement.

There's nothing new about tech companies forcing updates. I think it was pretty highly publicized when windows 10 was rolled out that they would have automatic updates. I heard a lot about it, anyway.

-Courtney

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

I am using windows 10. I hate that I have no control over which updates I install I have also noticed that quite regularly when windows installs an update it re activates cortana (its data-mining program) and I have to turn it off again!

By *he Queen of TartsWoman
Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

I have Win 10 and find it a lot better than 8. The only problem I have is with a couple of the drivers mainly the touchpad, the cursor freezes for about 5 seconds every so often, irritating but not the end of the world

By *rs DCouple
over a year ago

far

Thx for info

over a year ago

Windows 8 and 8.1 . . which was actually the "pre-launch" for Windows 9 . . are almost the worst OS that MS have created and many, like me, remained with 7 because it worked.

10 is THE answer to any PC user with 8 or 8.1 BUT it still falls short of the "user accessibility" that owners of 7 are used to.

That's why there was the thread on Linux . . what alternatives are there to 10.

over a year ago

"Windows 8 and 8.1 . . which was actually the "pre-launch" for Windows 9 . . are almost the worst OS that MS have created and many, like me, remained with 7 because it worked.

10 is THE answer to any PC user with 8 or 8.1 BUT it still falls short of the "user accessibility" that owners of 7 are used to.

That's why there was the thread on Linux . . what alternatives are there to 10. "

Fair point. I do miss Windows 7. I think it was the best operating system windows has had for a while now.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

bugger - pretty sure I have seen a change to my start button at some point. Last update was in January 2016 and there are no optional updates with win10 in. I don't know if I am safe or not!

Thanks for this - I'll check my other pc's

By *reedy_for_funCouple
over a year ago

My House

We loved windows 10 at the beginning. But then it started filling our hard drive with god knows what until we had no space left. All within a week.

Gone back to windows 7 and will remain loyal to that os from now on

By *ohnjones3210Man
over a year ago

Chester

I think Win 8.1 and Win 10 are the best ones.

By *rs DCouple
over a year ago

far

Loved xp but use 7 now.i want to tell my p.c what to do not it tell me.pluse with 8 and above you carnt use cracked programs.8 and above are for people who dont know how to use a p.c to its full potential or just internet surfers

over a year ago

"Loved xp but use 7 now.i want to tell my p.c what to do not it tell me.pluse with 8 and above you carnt use cracked programs.8 and above are for people who dont know how to use a p.c to its full potential or just internet surfers"

Not true. I have 10 and have plenty of cracked programs.

But you didn't hear that

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Thanks for the info. I don't want windows 10 and will take all steps to avoid it. Think Microsoft are out of order forcing it on people without their consent.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I'll stick with XP pro til ma pc goes to silicon heaven

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"I am using windows 10. I hate that I have no control over which updates I install I have also noticed that quite regularly when windows installs an update it re activates cortana (its data-mining program) and I have to turn it off again!"

if you changed any settings due to privacy any update from micorsoft resets your settings to original

those users that are using a corporate edition or ultimate of windows 7 so far you dont get the update to windows 10

best way turn off auto updates

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

West Kent (near Tonbridge)

Good to point this out OP. I posted something similar on FB the other week to try and warn as many people as I could. I know several people on Win 7 who have no desire to update, at least not yet anyway.

Overall, I would have to say I quite like Win 10, however I'm coming at that from the point of view of upgrading from Win 8.1, so was happy to do this. From what I understand about Win 7 (never had that version), I can understand why there would be a greater level of reluctance to upgrade.

The only thing I don't like about Win 10 is the lack of control over downloading and applying Windows updates, as mentioned earlier in this post. One thing you can do to regain slight control back is to mark your Wifi connection as metered. It's still far from ideal (if you want complete control like you used to be able to have), but at least that way they won't just automatically download because you've essentially told Windows that it would cost you to do this.

To do this, go into Settings / Network & Internet / Advanced and set the 'Set as metered connection' to on. No other impact I know of from doing this, but at least you get to decide when to download your Windows updates. I don't think you get a choice as to which ones you can apply though.

To download and apply updates, you then have to go to Settings / Update & Security and click on the highlighted 'Check for Updates' button.

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

"Loved xp but use 7 now.i want to tell my p.c what to do not it tell me.pluse with 8 and above you carnt use cracked programs.8 and above are for people who dont know how to use a p.c to its full potential or just internet surfers

Not true. I have 10 and have plenty of cracked programs.

But you didn't hear that "

[cough]....me....[cough..splutter...] too.....[cough]

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

"Thanks for the info. I don't want windows 10 and will take all steps to avoid it. Think Microsoft are out of order forcing it on people without their consent. "

In the personal/micro case, I agree to an extent, but things move on and it becomes difficult and costly in resources to provide support for several different operating systems. I can also understand MS wanting to get as many people onto the one version as much as possible - even leaving aside any potential concerns about them exercising a greater level of control over their users.

I'm not totally disagreeing with you btw, but I can sort of see it from both sides (and no, I don't work for MS ).

over a year ago

I like change and learning something new. I like 10,it has its teething problems but they are getting them sorted.

over a year ago

My 3 housemates all have pcs, 1 has updated to windows 10 and absolutely hates it, so the other 2 are preventing the update from happening.

I'm glad I have a mac!

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

"I think Win 8.1 and Win 10 are the best ones."

Completely disagree with you on the former, pretty much agree on the latter (except for loss of control over Windows Updates).

Windows 8 was a disaster in my view. Hated using it and was glad to update to 10. Now if I'd been on Win 7....

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

"We loved windows 10 at the beginning. But then it started filling our hard drive with god knows what until we had no space left. All within a week.

Gone back to windows 7 and will remain loyal to that os from now on "

Very odd. I've not heard of that. The only thing I'm aware of is that it keeps your old O/S in a folder called 'Windows.old' on your C drive so you can revert back if you want. For me, that took up 50 GB space.

Once I was happy I was going to keep Win 10 (about a week after I upgraded!), I used the Disk Clean utility (under clean System files option) to remove it (you can't just remove it via File Explorer), which freed my C drive space back to pretty much where it was before I upgraded. After approximately three months, I've not experienced any decrease in disk space due to Win 10.

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

"Windows 8 and 8.1 . . which was actually the "pre-launch" for Windows 9 . . are almost the worst OS that MS have created and many, like me, remained with 7 because it worked.

That's why there was the thread on Linux . . what alternatives are there to 10.

Fair point. I do miss Windows 7. I think it was the best operating system windows has had for a while now. "

Yeah, I really feel a 'missed out' a bit with Win 7. My previous laptop was fairly powerful (not a boast), so I was able to use Win Vista (the latest Windows O/S version back then) with no problems at all for many years. When my laptop eventually joined silicon heaven beginning of last year, the new one came with Win 8.1, so I missed 7 completely. Still, apart from that one thing (updates) I am pretty happy with 10. Certainly wasn't with 8.1

over a year ago

Windows 7 users who received automatic updates via a pay as you go dongle were losing all their data allowance before the windows 10 update downloaded...

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

"I hate windows 8. In my opinion windows 10 was a huge improvement.

There's nothing new about tech companies forcing updates. I think it was pretty highly publicized when windows 10 was rolled out that they would have automatic updates. I heard a lot about it, anyway.

-Courtney

"

It was fairly well publicised and the reality is MS will stop supporting the likes of 7 and 8/8.1 soon anyway. Once that happens, it will become riskier and riskier to remain with those versions purely in terms of security updates, let alone newer software not being compatible. The latter will take a long time to be of any consequence though.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"I hate windows 8. In my opinion windows 10 was a huge improvement.

-Courtney

"

I think Windows 10 is a great improvement over Windows 8/8.1; I also think technically it's an improvement over Windows 7. It's just a real shame that they have, for all intents and purposes, removed all the nice themeing options that first arrived with Vista and have gone for a very drab looking (almost Windows 2 look-a-like) approach. This has totally screwed the look and feel of my company theme.

Vista was a triumph of style over content, Windows 10 seems to ba a triumph of content over style. What I don't understand is why Microsoft won't give us both.

By *0tt0nSu3Woman
over a year ago

London

Thanks for that. I had originally planned to move all my data off onto a flash-drive, then create a partion for W10. Just in case W10 didn't work out for me.

Now I've heard the chorus of disapproval for W10, I'm sticking with my W7 Ultimate as I am really happy with it.

I've turned off my auto-upgrades and will upgrade manually for anything Windows.

Thanks for the headup!

Mwah!

You're a star!

Cxxx

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Mine says this is not a genuine copy of windows 7. Will it affect me?

By *ungrylikethewolfMan
over a year ago

chorlton

Problem with Windows 10 is the telemetry. It is more noticeable if you are using a laptop but win 10 sends a virtual copy of your hard drive to the USA. There is nothing you can do to stop this. Do not install Windows 10 stay at 7 or 8 and do what the op said.

From a Windows certified degree (graduate)

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Problem with Windows 10 is the telemetry. It is more noticeable if you are using a laptop but win 10 sends a virtual copy of your hard drive to the USA. There is nothing you can do to stop this. Do not install Windows 10 stay at 7 or 8 and do what the op said.

From a Windows certified degree (graduate)"

You can turn it off. The simplest way is in the privacy settings by turning off cortana 'getting to know you'.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

For those like me who are not Windows certified degree (graduate)

Here is the link to the idiot guide I follow to disable windows data mining.

http://merabheja.com/disable-spying-and-telemetry-windows-10/

over a year ago

Was very nervous about switching from 7 to 10 but I did it anyway as it will be supported when 7 ceases to be.

Might as well do it while it's free.

I have been pleasantly surprised by how well it works.

The only problem I have had is that my built in laptop cam does not work on fab no matter which type of browser I use.

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

"For those like me who are not Windows certified degree (graduate)

Here is the link to the idiot guide I follow to disable windows data mining.

http://merabheja.com/disable-spying-and-telemetry-windows-10/"

Nice one! . I was going to post something similar when I had a chance. I do think it's poor on Microsoft's part that people have to jump through hoops slightly to turn all that off. First thing I did after upgrading was to go through all the settings and make sure I had them as I wanted.

There is no question that Windows 10 gives more control to MS, and I'm not overly happy about that, but staying on older versions that will no longer be supported soon (meaning, no security updates etc...), is not a strategy I'd recommend for the longer term.

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Automatic updates?

No chance!

I choose what goes onto my PCs, not Microsoft!

That said, Windows 10 is much better than Windows 8.

I'm sticking with Windows 7 though.

over a year ago

Windows 10 is great I'm very happy with it so far. Only thing I'm not too happy about is the background programme runtime broker which kills the processor and memory. Bit of a struggle but is able to be switched off.

Also as with 7 and I'm guessing xp too Windows creates a back up every time an update is done so that'll quickly block up your hd. Unless you remove them.

over a year ago

I'm using win 10 on a new lap top. and I have to say its absolute crap. wish I never wasted the money on it

over a year ago

Oh I'm still stuck with Windows vista on my pc (I hardly use anything other than my phone now)

But I tried to download iTunes last week only to be told that iTunes won't run on anything less than windows7.

Does anyone have any advice how to get round this please, without me having to update n pay to update my operating system?

C x

over a year ago

Lots of really great comments on this thread and it's good to see that some Windows users are quite savvy, they'll have their updates set to manual BUT, if like me, they'll then find that Windows no longer advises them that there is security updates even though they've clicked that chioce so you need to check yourself at regular intervals. Microsoft? Play fair!

Time moves on and all operating systems will get replaced, you can't stop technology and the "smart phone" is driving OS evolution now much more than the PC.

But the main argument still remains . . if you buy something then you should be able to control how you use it yourself, not accept like sheep what a US corporate wants you to use.

over a year ago

"Lots of really great comments on this thread and it's good to see that some Windows users are quite savvy, they'll have their updates set to manual BUT, if like me, they'll then find that Windows no longer advises them that there is security updates even though they've clicked that chioce so you need to check yourself at regular intervals. Microsoft? Play fair!

Time moves on and all operating systems will get replaced, you can't stop technology and the "smart phone" is driving OS evolution now much more than the PC.

But the main argument still remains . . if you buy something then you should be able to control how you use it yourself, not accept like sheep what a US corporate wants you to use."

You're right, we should accept it like sheep that the UK corporate wants. Fuck US corporate!

-Courtney

over a year ago

". . . I tried to download iTunes last week only to be told that iTunes won't run on anything less than windows7.

Does anyone have any advice how to get round this please, without me having to update n pay to update my operating system?

C x"

This is an issue that will also effect XP too, both OS's are now not given any security updates by MS and major third party "users", such as Apple, Amazon, Google and others, will simply close a door to access from those OS's quoting "security concerns".

Neither XP or Vista are "dead" but there is strong suspicion that this "stoppage" is another engineered tactic to shut down old OS's . . MS simply can't kill XP. Infact for "pre-smart phone" use of the web XP was - is - the best!

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"Oh I'm still stuck with Windows vista on my pc (I hardly use anything other than my phone now)

But I tried to download iTunes last week only to be told that iTunes won't run on anything less than windows7.

C x"

depending on what you want itunes for and the type of phone that you have

sometimes all you need is the drivers and another type of program to install the music files onto your system

old apps comes in handy for older installers but itunes will force the update if it can do

as goes for installing the music onto a phone or ipod theres free ones out there

I prefer to use xilisoft iphone magic for ipod and other phones to install music and vid

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Several threads have covered how Windows readies itself for windows 10, including pre-fetching files.

Once you have Windows 10 the rest of the improvements via updates are more automatic and easy to manage - so their free upgrading to 10 for 7 and 8 users is similar to how the system works later.

Take up has been in excess of Microsoft's plans, I think.

10 has been great on the pcs I've used and my own. It's also available on mobiles too now, where all hardware operates like the rest.

over a year ago

"Oh I'm still stuck with Windows vista on my pc (I hardly use anything other than my phone now)

C x

depending on what you want itunes for and the type of phone that you have

sometimes all you need is the drivers and another type of program to install the music files onto your system

old apps comes in handy for older installers but itunes will force the update if it can do

as goes for installing the music onto a phone or ipod theres free ones out there

I prefer to use xilisoft iphone magic for ipod and other phones to install music and vid"

Thanks for your reply... I wanted to access my iTunes account to put music on my ipod that I've had a few yrs.

I will look into xilisoft though xx

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

I have had no problems with win 10 so far...

But I do my homework and have disabled the things I don't want.

Fact is all OS's will over time like hardware become less user controlled and more zombie slave systems.

Get your tower now before they are no longer available and also find yourself an old audio modem before there are none of them left too!

over a year ago

"Several threads have covered how Windows readies itself for windows 10, including pre-fetching files . . .

Take up has been in excess of Microsoft's plans, I think. "

No, in truth well short of how many users they thought they would have by now and you need to take into account that the "free upgrade" offer only worked for MS if they drastically reduced W7, W8 and W8.1 usage. This has been well covered in the computer media.

MS are seeing two market sectors they want to stop and have learned from how hard it was to kill XP. One is the private user that - eventually - worked out how to use W8.1 and wants to keep it BUT the group MS are really worried about is commerce using W7 . . it was business so happy with XP that forced MS to keep rolling out security updates well past the date they wanted.

So . . W7, W8 and W8.1 users will begin to see harassing massages pop up on their Pc like "Your free upgrade to W10 will end soon! Don't miss out!".

Nothing anybody can do about . . the die has been cast.

over a year ago

First thing anyone should do when you get a laptop (or any device) is personalise the settings yourself.

I downgraded from win8 to win7 on this laptop. It updates nothing unless i manually choose to do it, it doesn't even annoy me with asking permission for anything.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"Thanks for your reply... I wanted to access my iTunes account to put music on my ipod that I've had a few yrs.

I will look into xilisoft though xx"

xilisoft will not connect to your itunes library its used to either save your music from your ipod or from your phone and will install both films and music from xilisoft without itunes being involved

for itunes theres an update (2015-09-16)

iTunes 12.1.3.6 for Windows (32-bit)

iTunes 12.1.3.6 for Windows (64-bit)

one for older video cards

iTunes 12.1.3.6 for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards)

I cant see any other updates for it for vista

using this term below in google will find the thread for you via apple support

apple.com/thread/7218213

you will be pestered to update to the new version dont allow it

after this you may have to consider upgrading to a windows 7 pc or higher

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"So . . W7, W8 and W8.1 users will begin to see harassing massages pop up on their Pc like "Your free upgrade to W10 will end soon! Don't miss out!".

Nothing anybody can do about . . the die has been cast. "

only the ones that are home use but corporate and ultimate dont get the update to windows 10 not at the moment they dont

many people are using a free version of windows 7,8 and 8.1 most of them are corporate editions

over a year ago

When I posted my thread I did say that I wondered when/if MS would start to find a way around flexing your own choices, an update today on my PC (W7 Premium) for .Net Framework 4.6.1 highlighted that, once again, my PC was going to download the W10 upgrade package . . . . yes, I had followed my own advice!

So . . others may wish to take these additional steps that I've taken today.

Open "Windows Update" and click "Check for updates", important ones will be shown at the top but if you see "1 optional update is available" then left click on the blue words, you'll see "Optional 1" on the next page and you'll see it is for "Upgrade to Windows 10 . ." and the box is ticked. Click on the box to de-select and then right click on the words, you'll see two choices. Click on "Hide update".

This should . . fingers crossed . . mean that MS cannot automatically download that upgrade to your PC unless you use the "Restore hidden updates" feature.

No Windows user should need to do this, to take these steps is to go well beyond the primary choices you make in the Control Panel. That you have to just shows how much MS want to ignore your rights and upgrade you to W10.

However using these setting does ensure that you are leaving the link open to an upgrade to W10 BUT at a time that suits you . .

. . . and if I find my PC changes even these settings then that truly means MS are really in the wrong!

By *rs DCouple
over a year ago

far

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2953655/microsoft-windows/windows-10-review-hold-off-if-you-use-windows-7.html

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

I have just cautiously accepted some updates (not before looking what they were), however, this brought my update history up. As there weren't many I scrolled through the updates - all the way through the months of Aug and Sept, there were countless failed attempted to install win10. There have been no other attempts since. Are there any searches I can perform for an acceptance of win10 does anybody know??

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

"http://www.infoworld.com/article/2953655/microsoft-windows/windows-10-review-hold-off-if-you-use-windows-7.html"

Not at all criticising the posting of that link, as it has several good points, but some of that is now out of date, as it had been written around the time Win 10 was first released. For example, you can definitely fully customise the Start Menu in terms of pinning tiles for whatever applications you want.

They'll keep improving it.

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

"Good to point this out OP. I posted something similar on FB the other week to try and warn as many people as I could. I know several people on Win 7 who have no desire to update, at least not yet anyway.

Overall, I would have to say I quite like Win 10, however I'm coming at that from the point of view of upgrading from Win 8.1, so was happy to do this. From what I understand about Win 7 (never had that version), I can understand why there would be a greater level of reluctance to upgrade.

The only thing I don't like about Win 10 is the lack of control over downloading and applying Windows updates, as mentioned earlier in this post. One thing you can do to regain slight control back is to mark your Wifi connection as metered. It's still far from ideal (if you want complete control like you used to be able to have), but at least that way they won't just automatically download because you've essentially told Windows that it would cost you to do this.

To do this, go into Settings / Network & Internet / Advanced and set the 'Set as metered connection' to on. No other impact I know of from doing this, but at least you get to decide when to download your Windows updates. I don't think you get a choice as to which ones you can apply though.

To download and apply updates, you then have to go to Settings / Update & Security and click on the highlighted 'Check for Updates' button."

By the way, if you do this to try and have SOME sort of governance over when Windows Updates are downloaded and installed, make sure you do it for all Wifi connections you use. I got caught out by that yesterday when I took my laptop somewhere else and used the Wifi there. Suddenly all these updates started to install! Annoying having to wait for the PC to shut down to finish configuring when I had other things to do!

over a year ago

Original post is a little incorrect in that this change isn't because MS are disappointed in uptake or anything like that; this has been happening since 10 was released and there's actually been a very strong and positive uptake of the OS.

However if you don't want it then by all means take steps to avoid it; ultimately you should always check what is going onto your machine regardless of who or where it comes from.

Just bare in mind that W10 can run on all hardware that 7 could so there's no need to buy a new machine for it, and that Microsoft will be deprecating support for 7 as time goes on so its in your best interests to move with the times and upgrade when you're comfortable.

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

"Original post is a little incorrect in that this change isn't because MS are disappointed in uptake or anything like that; this has been happening since 10 was released and there's actually been a very strong and positive uptake of the OS.

However if you don't want it then by all means take steps to avoid it; ultimately you should always check what is going onto your machine regardless of who or where it comes from.

Just bare in mind that W10 can run on all hardware that 7 could so there's no need to buy a new machine for it, and that Microsoft will be deprecating support for 7 as time goes on so its in your best interests to move with the times and upgrade when you're comfortable."

This is the latest state of play with O/S version as at January this year. Little surprised there are still so many on 8/8.1. I would have thought they're the ones that have the biggest incentive to upgrade!

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

"Original post is a little incorrect in that this change isn't because MS are disappointed in uptake or anything like that; this has been happening since 10 was released and there's actually been a very strong and positive uptake of the OS.

Just bare in mind that W10 can run on all hardware that 7 could so there's no need to buy a new machine for it, and that Microsoft will be deprecating support for 7 as time goes on so its in your best interests to move with the times and upgrade when you're comfortable.

This is the latest state of play with O/S version as at January this year. Little surprised there are still so many on 8/8.1. I would have thought they're the ones that have the biggest incentive to upgrade!"

Oops! Forgot to include the link!

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

By *i1971Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

I used the update from 8.1 to 10. Initially quite liked 10, but within days was getting critical errors, especially with the start menu. Went online to research & thousands of similar issues had been reported. Eventually managed to get back to 8.1 & all working exactly as it should. I won't be going down the 10 route again unless it's a fresh install on a new laptop

over a year ago

We're going to have to evaluate 10 this year as it's the way the wind is blowing. 7 also won't be supported (but will still work) on latest gen Skylake chips from Intel so it's only a matter of time.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

its actually on both intel and amd cpu chips only on the newest models that is being released

also some corporate editions are also being spamed with upgrade to windows 10 and some are being updated due to automatic updates being allowed

windows has even taken an interest in linux as well

over a year ago

"http://www.infoworld.com/article/2953655/microsoft-windows/windows-10-review-hold-off-if-you-use-windows-7.html

Not at all criticising the posting of that link, as it has several good points, but some of that is now out of date, as it had been written around the time Win 10 was first released. . . They'll keep improving it."

This is true as the universal advice to W7 owners when W10 came out was wait, the November 2015 release is often referred to as the "Service Pack 1" . . but my thread isn't about IF you should swap to W10, it's about YOUR rights to determine if or when YOU wish to do so.

over a year ago

"We're going to have to evaluate 10 this year as it's the way the wind is blowing. 7 also won't be supported (but will still work) on latest gen Skylake chips from Intel so it's only a matter of time."

Your point has actually been highlighted in computer media as one example of MS "scaremongering" tactics because the cleverly worded messages they put out saying "Your PC won't work unless you upgrade to W10" unfortunately forgot to mention that it would only be "future proofed" new PC's that might not work with W7.

More that 3 out of 4 "experts" are stating in the Press that MS are concerned they haven't met their expected targets to eradicate W7, W8 and W8.1 despite their "free offers" and DO NOT want another XP scenario on their hands . . so they are now trying a bit of badly informed bullying instead.

Again, my thread is NOT about W10 as a replacement - if you've either of the 8's on your PC then an upgrade is a no-brainer - it's about YOU, the PC owner, making YOUR decisions.

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

"http://www.infoworld.com/article/2953655/microsoft-windows/windows-10-review-hold-off-if-you-use-windows-7.html

Not at all criticising the posting of that link, as it has several good points, but some of that is now out of date, as it had been written around the time Win 10 was first released. . . They'll keep improving it.

This is true as the universal advice to W7 owners when W10 came out was wait, the November 2015 release is often referred to as the "Service Pack 1" . . but my thread isn't about IF you should swap to W10, it's about YOUR rights to determine if or when YOU wish to do so. "

Yes I understand Threads do have a habit of wandering off onto sub-topics. I totally agree that the user should be in control not only of when they decide to perform the upgrade, but also apply any Windows updates (which is highly related).

A fair degree of my comment in this post has been in response to those who have essentially been saying not to upgrade or to wait as long as possible. Just trying to offer some balance to that along with my experiences.

over a year ago

". . . A fair degree of my comment in this post has been in response to those who have essentially been saying not to upgrade or to wait as long as possible. Just trying to offer some balance to that along with my experiences."

This is VERY true, do NOT confuse MS's sneaky attempts to make you put W10 on your PC with their usual service of "upgrades", these are ALWAYS either to overcome a security issue and/or to bring one of the myriad components of "Windows" into line with present user needs. There is NO reason why following my advice to "stall your W10 upgrade" should interfere with any of these. Simply use common sense.

Post new Message to Thread