By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Does anybody know?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *plpxp2Couple
over a year ago

Middlesbrough

From the font of all knowledge (Google):

HARE OR RABBIT: SAYING AT CHANGE OF MONTH -- "1920 'Folklore' 319. According to several correspondents in the 'Westminster Gazette' (spring of 1919) the following belief is common in many parts of Great Britain, with local variants: To secure good luck of some kind, usually a present, one should say 'Rabbits' three times just before going to sleep on the last day of the month, and then 'Hares' three times on waking the next morning.1982 Woman c.50 (Stockton-on-Tees, Co. Durham) The first words you say for a lucky month are 'White Rabbits'. If you can remember to say that twelve times a year, you'll have a very lucky year. 1984 Woman 47 (Chichester, Sussex) If you say 'Black cats' on the last night of the month and 'White rabbits' next morning, you will get a present before the month is out." From "A Dictionary of Superstitions" Edited by Iona Opie and Moira Tatem (Oxford University Press, Oxford & New York, 1989). Page 192.

Still doesn't say why though

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

It may be about hares being sacred to Estre the old goddess of the spring and fertility.White bucks were considered holy,perhaps white hares were too.

i know a druid,i'll see if he knows .

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

"It may be about hares being sacred to Estre the old goddess of the spring and fertility.White bucks were considered holy,perhaps white hares were too.

i know a druid,i'll see if he knows ."

That's as I've always understood it. The Easter bunny is the American version of the hare that probably proceeded it in English customs.

Post new Message to Thread