Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

police maps/crime rates

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

there was an article on the news on how the police website can show you the crime figures for any residential area in the UK.

typical though, it is just going to show crime rates dropping, what about the proportion of crimes that go unreported?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Not really a lot they can do about the crimes that go unreported

over a year ago

And how exactly are they going to show the figures for the crimes that go unreported?

By *uro anchorMan
over a year ago

Coventry

"Not really a lot they can do about the crimes that go unreported "

i didnt do it.. oh that was the lie detector thread...

over a year ago

Indeed.....indeed.....a bias.....

over a year ago

I tried the site earlier police.uk and typical, it didnt work lol

over a year ago

"I tried the site earlier police.uk and typical, it didnt work lol "

Why doesn`t that surprise me

over a year ago

im prettty sure the old bill crime stats gonna show emselves in a positive light, how many are actual crims doin real crimes an ow many are motorists dun fr speeding.... if u listen to news a few of the boys in blue been nicking there own 1 sarge was head of a half mill cocaine empire lol then theres that copper who has been done for raping women whilst in custody in his own station

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

National Crime Statistics only cover motoring offences that result in a charge of Dangerous Driving.

They do not include driving offences that do not result in a ban for the driver in the first instance.

So if you get three points and a £60 fine that doesn't appear on the NCS.

By *ingleguy1973Man
over a year ago

peterborough

it was the last govt's obsession with statistics that led to the police chasing easy convictions and issuing cautions instead of prosecuting and punishing criminals. time to remove all the red tape and let the police do their job and catch criminals.

the stats for repeat offenders make interseting reading... the no. of crims with dozens if not 100s of convictions shows that the sentances they recieved are neither a punishment or a deterent. jails are too soft and sentances to short.

rant over... and before anyone asks, no i dont read the daily mail

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

checked ours this morning, what a load of piffle. I honestly think they make the figures up. Ours is a very neighbourly avenue and if things happen it spreads by word of mouth quickly.

The police site has us as having 3 burglary's 2 asbo's 2 car crime and 2 violent disorder.

We as residents have heard of none of this!!! Surely we and the neighbourhood watch would have heard something but no.

By *plpxp2Couple
over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Interesting that the site doesn't give any kind of time frame for crimes. Like that past poster we have one logged for car crime and no one is aware of it happening unless you count a break in to my own car 12 years ago

over a year ago

we rechecked ours this morning and it does say one one of the pages that it shows the figures for December 2010 oddly enough we have 2 violent disorder crimes in our street that no one knows about, we do know about one young lady that pretty much has an asbo all the time and shes not featured ?

over a year ago

"we rechecked ours this morning and it does say one one of the pages that it shows the figures for December 2010 oddly enough we have 2 violent disorder crimes in our street that no one knows about, we do know about one young lady that pretty much has an asbo all the time and shes not featured ? "

its the same by ours, theres a few not featured that I know of, maybe they have an opt out programme

over a year ago

Tis all smoke and mirrors.....

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

"I tried the site earlier police.uk and typical, it didnt work lol

Why doesn`t that surprise me "

10 million people have tried to log on,its hardly as if they have deliberately designed a duff site.

i don't see the point,you know what kind of area you live in.People on the radio are talking about knowing if there have been burglaries in their street.i find it really sad if they are so out of contact with their neighbours that they wouldnt be aware anyway.

perhaps crime would drop if people took more interest in the people around them.

over a year ago

"I tried the site earlier police.uk and typical, it didnt work lol

Why doesn`t that surprise me

10 million people have tried to log on,its hardly as if they have deliberately designed a duff site.

i don't see the point,you know what kind of area you live in.People on the radio are talking about knowing if there have been burglaries in their street.i find it really sad if they are so out of contact with their neighbours that they wouldnt be aware anyway.

perhaps crime would drop if people took more interest in the people around them."

Yeah Jemima...anyone suggesting that they deliberately designed a website to fail...could rightly be considered rather mislead in their grasp of reality ...moreover childish and predisspossed to stocking up on half price tins of baked beans..for their bunker..

The thoughts that crossed my own mind were..

Given the huge publicity drive(at our cost)in the national media....mabye they ? could well of expcted to recieve a substantial no of hits ....design something "fit fer perpose"..

One would assume the "techies" would of been aware of his phenomena...I guess they did...but I would posit this is another example of a Home Secretary ...or any other politician looking for a quick soundbite....grab some headlines perchance..This maybe a cynical view of a politician looking for advantage and ignoring common sense ...

I can`t believe the "techies" didn`t advise rolling it out so soon ....but given the history of other debacles re: Directgov websites..I don`t have much faith in the appointment of contractors in these situations ....In this case its run by erm..Rock Kitchen Harris....I wonder what the terms of his contract were ? How many hits per minute etc ...How much it cost us ....can we get our money back ...

As an aside ..not all police forces are contributing to the website until May ?...beggars the question ...why didn`t they ? wait until everyone was contributing....

Instead we have a situation of countless people not being able to load the website ...or getting a message ....Sorry we couldn`t find a policing area that matched your search ....

An all round ludicrous situation ....typical...

As an aside the wesite is hosted by Amazon ( a company with dubious tax affairs) in the Republic of Ireland ...yeah right ....good work...jobs for UK citizens again eh ...

This could be a good website ...if its monitored properly ...the statistics rigourously audited ..it holds the Government to account of its policies ..and moreover encourages interest in communities ...attendence at public meetings et al ...

But as the OP suggested it doesn`t really reflect crime does it ....or does it ...make your own mind up ...

I take an interest fer many reasons ...chiefly it concerns me and my community and our taxes..

My last thought is what a gift for insurance companies ...great...LOL...

Anyway end of my barely risible ramblings ....

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I had a look on this website its a pile of shite, it showed only one report of Anto social behaviour had come from my road where i know there was at least 6.....hmmmmmmmmmph shite shite total shite

By *plpxp2Couple
over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Back to the drawing board:

A street in Preston has been branded the most crime-ridden in England and Wales by a government website.

Glovers Court - a quiet street in Preston city centre - has been the location for 150 offences in December, according to the online map.

But police say the crimes were actually committed across the whole of Preston city centre.

Ch Supt James Lee said only three crimes had been reported at Glovers Court.

The figures are part of a new online crime map, set up by the Home Office, which cost £300,000 to develop.

The crime is that it cost 300K to set up and doesn't work, so much for gov cutbacks

By *rankOfileMan
over a year ago

France

"Back to the drawing board:

A street in Preston has been branded the most crime-ridden in England and Wales by a government website.

Glovers Court - a quiet street in Preston city centre - has been the location for 150 offences in December, according to the online map.

But police say the crimes were actually committed across the whole of Preston city centre.

Ch Supt James Lee said only three crimes had been reported at Glovers Court.

The figures are part of a new online crime map, set up by the Home Office, which cost £300,000 to develop.

The crime is that it cost 300K to set up and doesn't work, so much for gov cutbacks

"

I used to be Chairman of a parish council, at the monthly meeting the police always gave a report on crime in the parish. I knew of 3 break ins and a car theft that month. from gossip in the village. However the police decide they werent crimes so nothing to report. How does that work

over a year ago

"im prettty sure the old bill crime stats gonna show emselves in a positive light, how many are actual crims doin real crimes an ow many are motorists dun fr speeding.... if u listen to news a few of the boys in blue been nicking there own 1 sarge was head of a half mill cocaine empire lol then theres that copper who has been done for raping women whilst in custody in his own station "

there is no doubt that there are officers within the police force who are up to no good, just as there are in every other profession

Post new Message to Thread