Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

breaks at work

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I do 12 hour shifts. Have 15 min at 9am, 30 min at 12 pm and 15 min at 3pm....not allowed to smoke on tea breaks.... if that not bad enough now been told not allowed to go shop to get food. You have to take it in or us vending machine that has nothing but crisps and chocolate and fizzy drinks x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

Oooo so what happens if you have to go to shops or post office ?

Crazy

over a year ago

"Oooo so what happens if you have to go to shops or post office ?

Crazy "

Not allowed x

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Wow that seems a bit stringent!! What is it you do?

over a year ago

"Wow that seems a bit stringent!! What is it you do?"
work in a factory xx

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

What sort of job do you do?

Twelve hour shifts with minimal breaks sounds like it shouldn't be allowed.

If they don't pay you on break time then they can't dictate whether you go out or not surely?

over a year ago

"What sort of job do you do?

Twelve hour shifts with minimal breaks sounds like it shouldn't be allowed.

If they don't pay you on break time then they can't dictate whether you go out or not surely? "

I was thinking the same thing

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

Ask them to show you in your contract and get your Union involved

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

Wage slave

By *ucky1Man
over a year ago

a straightjacket

Working time directive states employers only have to give you a 30min break for every 6 hours worked..... As for the snacks, maybe you could bring your own food in?

over a year ago

"Working time directive states employers only have to give you a 30min break for every 6 hours worked..... As for the snacks, maybe you could bring your own food in?"

I have brought my own food in the past but it gets stolen out the fridge x

over a year ago

"Ask them to show you in your contract and get your Union involved "

I'm with agency for the next few weeks so not got union yet x

over a year ago

"Working time directive states employers only have to give you a 30min break for every 6 hours worked..... As for the snacks, maybe you could bring your own food in?"

And it's 20 min zx

By *exysuzi and Mr.SCouple
over a year ago

CONISTON .Stoke Suburbia. Staffs. BARMOUTH. The Lakes (Monthly)

That sounds totally wrong, especially on your lunch break, you should be able to go to the shop then.

I do 12 n half hour shifts and sometimes I do the whole shift without a break at all though. Get to home time and I can suddenly realise I haven't even been to the loo the whole day !!!! Xxx

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/02/16 09:55:52]

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Sounds dreadful!

over a year ago

I think the issue you have is that being agency staff you don't what to upset the employer, probably like most of your colleagues, and as a result the employer gets away with very stringent conditions.

With that said, I am not sure they can dictate to you where you can and cannot go on your lunch break. That point maybe worth seeking advice on

By *ilmiss75Woman
over a year ago

Thornton

"Oooo so what happens if you have to go to shops or post office ?

Crazy "

Are you kidding lol... You do those things in your own time

By *ilmiss75Woman
over a year ago

Thornton

Today I'm doing 1.30-10.30 shift.

On that I will get 2 X 15 mins breaks paid... And 1 hour unpaid.

over a year ago

Wow!

That sounds awful!

I hate my job at the moment and that has given me some perspective!

over a year ago

Go to www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/ overview your entitled to 20 minutes for every 6 hours of work. That can be taken in different ways of course as long as you get 40 mins total for a 12 hour shift. The employer can say when you take it. The guidelines were put in place for those doing monotinous work such as factory work. It isnt consideered a break unless you are away from the place you work (the desk not the building).

Employer cannot ictate where you go on that break.

You also entitled to a minimum of 11 hours off between shifts.

By *hoenixmanMan
over a year ago

Where men are men, and sheep are nervous...!

"I do 12 hour shifts. Have 15 min at 9am, 30 min at 12 pm and 15 min at 3pm....not allowed to smoke on tea breaks.... if that not bad enough now been told not allowed to go shop to get food. You have to take it in or us vending machine that has nothing but crisps and chocolate and fizzy drinks x"

Hmmm... I'd have a word with Citizens Advice... not sure on the legal requirement for how much break time you're allowed in a 12 hour period. Guessing one hour on total is the bare minimum. Don't get the 'not allowed to go to the shop' thing if it's in your break? So long as you're not late back, what's the problem...?

As with anything to do with working rules that employers think they can impose, get proper advice...

over a year ago

Not for every job. I work 6 hours a day and I'm not entitled to a lunch break BUT I can eat and drink when I like which I think makes a big difference.

By *ilmiss75Woman
over a year ago

Thornton

I think it's only 15 mins paid... It is in my company but you do have the option to take another 15 mins making it into a half hour but unpaid.

over a year ago

I suppose it depends if the breaks are paid breaks or not - if they're unpaid then I would have thought you should be able to pop out if you want. If they're paid, perhaps the employer can lay down some rules about them.

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

But if you get a monthly salary then they have to be careful check your contract

I had the same argument at my place and I said ok I will then start at 9, have the whole 1 hour lunch at leave at 5.30 and if you want me to work overtime you have to ask me to and I can say No

The soon backed down

over a year ago

I also do 12 hours running machinery in a factory, we get 2 half hour breaks but also can go for a drink, smoke or to the loo as long as you get someone to cover you and don't take the piss.

We get about £16.50Ph and I've worked with a few guys from agencies when a bit of extra help is needed and they get minimum wage and an extra 10p per hour for nights.

But they are charged at £20 an hour

Some of the agencies completely take the piss out of people

Some of them have managed to get taken on with us though after applying

over a year ago

I suspect the stringent application of minimal legal breaks is widespread. I do different work in the summer....and do agency warehouse stuff over Jan and Feb. 8 hour shift....one 15min paid break....one half hour unpaid break....and the work is in a chilled room...not a freezer and is very physical...not often heavy...but always lifting...walking..non stop and at pace. Working practice's...care for workers...we are just going backwards...and they get away with it...most of the work is done through agency....polish...Romanians...some Brits..people who won't say a thing. Whilst I have always been pro European...and pro movement of people.. Sadly...the free movement of labour has basically.... Been about lowering labour costs...and having seen this end of the labour market first hand....believe that was always the plan. An m&s lettuce picked by a Latvian...next dress packed packed by a pole.....its not their nationality that is a problem....its just all done at minimum wage...poor working hours and virtually unprotected workers. Even my immigrant parents...through the 1960s...onwards...were not treated so poorly....in all of these respects....it a disgrace...

By *mojeeCouple
over a year ago

Dunfermline

If I'm on a 6 hour shift I get 10 mins. 8-9 hour shift and I get 30 mins between the 2nd and 4th hour and if I'm on a 9-10 hour shift I get 40 mins between the 4th and 6th hour. Which means technically I can start at 0345 and not get a break until 0944.

over a year ago

I worked in a factory once and everyone wasn't aloud out all shift because things where going missing do they stopped people going out. X

By *erfectman122Man
over a year ago

from somewhere nice

"I do 12 hour shifts. Have 15 min at 9am, 30 min at 12 pm and 15 min at 3pm....not allowed to smoke on tea breaks.... if that not bad enough now been told not allowed to go shop to get food. You have to take it in or us vending machine that has nothing but crisps and chocolate and fizzy drinks x"
I do eight hours 15 shifts hour break and four hours non productive I love my job

By *ucky1Man
over a year ago

a straightjacket

Sounds like every employer is different regarding breaks, but I cannot see how they can stop you smoking on your break. They have to provide a smoking area, so sounds dodgy if they won't let you out for a ciggy

over a year ago

The OP has my sympathy. I've worked for agencies before and if you don't do as you are told then you are dropped like a bad smell. Sounds like a very bad employer to me.

over a year ago

And it makes me realise how lucky I am.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Talk to your Union

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

leave

over a year ago

"The OP has my sympathy. I've worked for agencies before and if you don't do as you are told then you are dropped like a bad smell. Sounds like a very bad employer to me. "
it might be a bad employer....but the conditions that op has mentioned are widespread... Everywhere...

over a year ago

"The OP has my sympathy. I've worked for agencies before and if you don't do as you are told then you are dropped like a bad smell. Sounds like a very bad employer to me. it might be a bad employer....but the conditions that op has mentioned are widespread... Everywhere..."

I've no doubt, here by the grace go I. ..

over a year ago

"leave"

Not sure if its quite that simple for most people

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

"leave

Not sure if its quite that simple for most people"

yes it is .... give notice, work notice period, leave ...... simple

over a year ago

To the Op, the old saying that it's easier to find work if you are in work is very true. My advice to you is look for a new job while doing the one you've got. And remember you have the self respect of earning your own pennies. Good luck to you

By *ustin666666Man
over a year ago

Nottingham

If they are unpaid breaks they can't stop you going off site. If they are paid then they can.

over a year ago

"Sounds like every employer is different regarding breaks, but I cannot see how they can stop you smoking on your break. They have to provide a smoking area, so sounds dodgy if they won't let you out for a ciggy "

I very much doubt they have to provide a smoking area.

over a year ago

Sounds like the sort of shift and break pattern I used to have when I worked in a bar

By *reedy_for_funCouple
over a year ago

My House

By law, a worker is only entitled to one, uninterrupted, 20min break for every 6 hours worked. This break must be in the middle of the shift, not at the beginning or end of a shift. The company does not have to give smoking breaks or even pay you for taking your 20min break. They do not have allow you to smoke on or near their premises. However, it does not count as a break if you don't get the full 20 mins uninterrupted. If you're called back early from your break it no longer counts as a break. Also, you must get a 24 hour break from work once a week and an uninterrupted 48 hour break from work every fortnight.

And who said Britain has lost its Victorian values?

over a year ago

Law says 20 mins every 6 hours and no less than 11 hours between shifts.

There are breaks and breaks. You dont have to wait for your employer to tell you when a break is. You can just stop work any time you like unless of course you are on a production line or something.

over a year ago

Both my immigrant parents worked in local factories... My father used to come home in his lunch hour sometimes as we were close by. Both the respective company's didn't use agency staff... Not common practice those days...so jobs were permanent pt or ft...both had active social clubs...where family were welcome...staff deals...one had a staff discount food shop...my dad used to get a food hamper at Xmas...nothing grand...as it was a food manufacturer...overtime pay...both had staff canteens....were I work not one of these conditions would apply..except there is a canteen... As the lorry drivers....need to eat and have a break. A sad reflection on the UK today....I'm proud to be British... But not proud of where we are on this.

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

When looking at similar posts to this one, I often reflect back in life to what work and conditions were like over that time and how life in general has worked out, as we all do has Individuals at times in our lives, and it was only in later times I heard hearsay or rumours of what some agencys were all about, I,ve been lucky there in not Haveing any dealings with any over 40 odd years, more luck than anything, I,m glad I can see the light at the end of the tunnel my only regret is I,m not further down it now, like shag says patience is needed, for this last run I,ll need it too has its a few more years than I wanted and my desire to retire gets stronger through the year And I can,t bl**dy wait.

over a year ago

"Sounds like every employer is different regarding breaks, but I cannot see how they can stop you smoking on your break. They have to provide a smoking area, so sounds dodgy if they won't let you out for a ciggy "

No smoking shelter

over a year ago

I sympathise as I worked for an agency in a distrobution centre for a large supermarket chain. Shit hours, conditions, and pay. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

We do 12 hour shifts, but we only have half an hour in the morning and again in the afternoon.

Have to ask for permission to have a smoke break, or a cuppa.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Be thankful you don't work in the NHS, you'll be lucky to get a wee.

The WTD states you must have a break by your sixth hour of work. Employers interpret this as they see fit. Your break time is unpaid therefor, you can do what the fuck you want in it.

They cannot dictate to you what you eat and where you purchase it from.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'd not work at such places, where you are treated akin to slaves.

And some people wish to leave the EU! Expect worse if we ever left.

over a year ago

That the problem with gunpowder factories ...

over a year ago

"Be thankful you don't work in the NHS, you'll be lucky to get a wee.

The WTD states you must have a break by your sixth hour of work. Employers interpret this as they see fit. Your break time is unpaid therefor, you can do what the fuck you want in it.

They cannot dictate to you what you eat and where you purchase it from. "

By *enny79TV/TS
over a year ago

chesterfield

That's really bad I used to start at 8am Finnish at 11 and was lucky to get a 30 mi break but was allowed cig breaks when I smoked

By *ub_liminalTVTV/TS
over a year ago

Belfast

It's your allotted , statutory break period. They have no right to impose restrictions or conditions upon how you choose to spend it

Sounds like there might be a conflict of interest, perhaps the vending machines are owned and operated by your employers (or the company has come to an "arrangment") due to poor uptake .

Seems like they're trying to impose a monopoly.

Bring your own food .

By *edsBonkingMan
over a year ago

Near MK

If your breaks are "unpaid" you can do anything you like. No way they can dictate your activities. If you are paid that's different.

By *ust4fun26Couple
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

[Removed by poster at 06/02/16 01:23:33]

By *rishman75Man
over a year ago

Chessington/epsom

I work 35 hours a week and get a hours lunch everyday 5 days a week and if my company tried to put this on us we would strike !

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

The not going to the shop could have something to do with the time taken to get there, not leaving you enough time to eat your meal.

By *ipsxxCouple
over a year ago

That sounds bad I work 24 hours over 3 days in which I get 30 mins as breakfast break ( as start really early) and then a hours dinner .

over a year ago

i work 12 hour shifts - we used to get paid them even though contract said not - they have just stopped paying us this year and you can imagine the uproar as they never told us they were going to stop - some of us work 30 hours so its two 12 hr and a 6 hr shift each week - now we have to come in extra time to make up the unpaid time - might add that a few of us never went off the unit for a break and were happy to have the quiet times as breaks but still be available if needed (i work in a specialist care home for brain injury, emi and dementia suffers)

over a year ago

I want right for the Nhs and I'm not entitled to a break at all doing a six hour shift

By *errygTV/TS
over a year ago

denton

"Working time directive states employers only have to give you a 30min break for every 6 hours worked..... As for the snacks, maybe you could bring your own food in?

I have brought my own food in the past but it gets stolen out the fridge x"

when i worked at a place where food was stolen, we had a idea who it was made up a lunch box, half a packet of chocolate biscuits, which i smeared with laxative,we had it right someone got the runs

over a year ago

"I do 12 hour shifts. Have 15 min at 9am, 30 min at 12 pm and 15 min at 3pm....not allowed to smoke on tea breaks.... if that not bad enough now been told not allowed to go shop to get food. You have to take it in or us vending machine that has nothing but crisps and chocolate and fizzy drinks x

If your breaks are "unpaid" you can do anything you like. No way they can dictate your activities. If you are paid that's different. "

I was thinking its probably a factory where they cant have cross contamination from outside / cigarettes and in 15 minutes its unlikely you have time to change into outdoor clothes, go to a shop , smoke , come back change again and eat the food before going back to your work station which is why they tell you no smoking and bring your own food or purchase it on the premises?

Post new Message to Thread