Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Fish and seafood.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I like fish better then meet and seafood ... love mussels, lobster , prawns, crabs, oysters, crayfish all sorts of shelfish and cooked in all sorts of ways ..... and fish seabass, salmon haddock lemon sole, monkfish, cod,So far have not had a fish i dont like.Are You fish or meat OR BOTH. I find i am going off alot of meats fish dont make me feel full like meat do.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Sox been a no-meat or seafood veggie for 28yrs,,,, But I hasten to add, not for any moral reasons…….

And yup, like most veggies the smell of bacon cooking still gets me wavering every time….. gulp…….

over a year ago

I enjoy them both and I eat meat more than fish but I'm not a big fan of chicken

over a year ago

"I enjoy them both and I eat meat more than fish but I'm not a big fan of chicken "
i have even gone off chicken its weird ..... just have.

over a year ago

"I enjoy them both and I eat meat more than fish but I'm not a big fan of chicken "

Chicken has been made kinda repulsive by all of the banging on by celeb chefs telling us how it's processed etc. in a way thats failed to put anyone off other meats. I'm not sure why but I see chicken and just think potential poison source, so I rarely eat it now and when I do its prepared on 'the chicken chopping board' with the 'chicken knife' surrounded by paper towels and dettox spray! Adverts showing it on the dettox ads as a warm chickeny blood mass on the worktop doesn't help either.

over a year ago

I love fish, seafood, meat everything. Living in a fishing village it's great to get given some fish straight from the boat, or freshly caught at the end of the harbour.

I have a friend who comes here to fish and she brings the fish straight to me, from the sea to my pan in a matter of minutes. xx

over a year ago

I had a chicken from the butchers free range yes it cost more but was nothing like super market chicken the way it tasted noting like them at all alot nicer so think your right about the way thay bang on about things getting feed with all sorts to make them get bigger and processed Putting water and stuff so weight alot more and cost more.... do put you off and at times i have come home from tecos or some super maket having got chicken and it smell yukk its puts me off too.

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

"I like fish better then meet and seafood ... love mussels, lobster , prawns, crabs, oysters, crayfish all sorts of shelfish and cooked in all sorts of ways ..... and fish seabass, salmon haddock lemon sole, monkfish, cod,So far have not had a fish i dont like.Are You fish or meat OR BOTH. I find i am going off alot of meats fish dont make me feel full like meat do."

I Love sea food Jo,

anything with a wag in it's tail!

Dover sole is my favourite, followed by Brill and sea bass, I like crab and Lobster, sometimes out on our boat if my dad is in a good mood, he lets me take a lobster home for tea, mind you it usually only has one claw! Lol

over a year ago

for all you chicken lovers, most chicken in supermarket is cockeral, most are less than 16 weeks old, still have blue eyes and till cheep like a chick.

I don't mind paying more and getting it from a farm I know where the birds have ranged free and had a good diet, chemical free.

The taste is fantastic, the colour of the meat is different to factory produced.

over a year ago

"for all you chicken lovers, most chicken in supermarket is cockeral, most are less than 16 weeks old, still have blue eyes and till cheep like a chick.

I don't mind paying more and getting it from a farm I know where the birds have ranged free and had a good diet, chemical free.

The taste is fantastic, the colour of the meat is different to factory produced."

Are cockerels cheaper or something then? Sorry for the ridiculous question here but it is still chicken isn't it?

over a year ago

I like both but have lately gone right off chicken. It just has no flavour to it at all.

over a year ago

"for all you chicken lovers, most chicken in supermarket is cockeral, most are less than 16 weeks old, still have blue eyes and till cheep like a chick.

The taste is fantastic, the colour of the meat is different to factory produced.

Are cockerels cheaper or something then? Sorry for the ridiculous question here but it is still chicken isn't it?"

It is still chicken but they don't lay eggs or produce chicks so are superfluous.

over a year ago

I eat far more fish and shellfish than meat because I've assumed, perhaps wrongly, that there's less opportunity for messing about with fish than meat. That and the fact there's a great fishmonger close by.

Meat, and in particular beef, has a reputation for having been born in one place, sent somewhere else to be reared, somewhere yet again to be fattened (finished?) and then somewhere else to be slaughtered.

Fish just gets hauled out of the sea, stuck on ice and sold to the fishmonger. The downside is that there's a lot of wastage.

over a year ago

Wont touch any of it.

Hate fish and will never ever touch sea food. They like sea spiders and oysters !!! seasnot in a shell . yuck yuck

over a year ago

Are cockerels cheaper or something then? Sorry for the ridiculous question here but it is still chicken isn't it?

It is still chicken but they don't lay eggs or produce chicks so are superfluous. "

Quite true, the other thing to remember is that they put on more breast weight for a plumper chicken.

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

"Wont touch any of it.

Hate fish and will never ever touch sea food. They like sea spiders and oysters !!! seasnot in a shell . yuck yuck "

Lol

over a year ago

"Wont touch any of it.

Hate fish and will never ever touch sea food. They like sea spiders and oysters !!! seasnot in a shell . yuck yuck "

I love oysters I am told good for the sex life , lol not like seasnot yummm xx just with little lemon on thats all you need slip down easy . lol xx

over a year ago

I read about this top secret government experiment, where geneticists had developed a breed of chicken with four legs in an attempt to help third world countries feed their increasing population more effectively……

Only trouble was, no-one could catch the little buggers….. Da da dada dada da….da-da

Yup,, the old ones are not always the best!!!

over a year ago

"Wont touch any of it.

Hate fish and will never ever touch sea food. They like sea spiders and oysters !!! seasnot in a shell . yuck yuck I love oysters I am told good for the sex life , lol not like seasnot yummm xx just with little lemon on thats all you need slip down easy . lol xx "

Hmmmm try the lemon drizzle with sperm ...tho that slips down better than if it was seasnot

over a year ago

"

Hmmmm try the lemon drizzle with sperm ...tho that slips down better than if it was seasnot "

cant say i have ever had that with lemon drizzle , lol

over a year ago

I tend to eat fish and seafood when I go out to eat in restaurants as I can't cookt them well except for a salmon dish and mussels.

Mind you, if there is duck on the menu, then I am most likely to go for duck over a steak over a fish dish.

By *andsomgeorgeMan
over a year ago

Rugby

My parents live on the Devon/Dorset border and so in half term I take my lads down there and invariably go crabbing or line fishing - which they love. You cannot beat razor clams or the simplicity of grilled, fresh mackerel. Absolutely stunning taste. If I had to pick only one, meat or fish I think I would pick fish. And I love meat. I love proper smokie kippers too but SO anti-social, defo not before a meet.

over a year ago

"My parents live on the Devon/Dorset border and so in half term I take my lads down there and invariably go crabbing or line fishing - which they love. You cannot beat razor clams or the simplicity of grilled, fresh mackerel. Absolutely stunning taste. If I had to pick only one, meat or fish I think I would pick fish. And I love meat. I love proper smokie kippers too but SO anti-social, defo not before a meet."

Awww thats making me yearn for the warm weather and BBQ's. Half the problem with cooking fish is the smell it can leave in the kitchen if you decide to pan fry... no such probs in the great outdoors. I'd love to have a sea and stone pit on the beach with lots of shellfish...

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Funny you should start this thread on the very day I almost feignted in a fishmongers......no, he never got his cock out over the fish counter.....he tried to charge me £19.49 a kg for salmon fillets!

Fresh Fish is becoming a delicacy for the rich in this country now, it's all getting very silly.

So I'll stick to good quality meat and poultry from now on, at this rate there won't be any fishmongers left.

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Thanks to an allergy, I can`t eat any fish or shell fish. This has given me a bloody fish phobia!

I`ll only eat chicken that my brother-in-law rears as I know how he does them! Other than that, it`s beef of lamb on my plate. Or a bit of game!

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

got the same allergy as Bumpkin, can't eat fish of any description. Do love my red meat though

over a year ago

"I like fish better then meet and seafood ... love mussels, lobster , prawns, crabs, oysters, crayfish all sorts of shelfish and cooked in all sorts of ways ..... and fish seabass, salmon haddock lemon sole, monkfish, cod,So far have not had a fish i dont like.Are You fish or meat OR BOTH. I find i am going off alot of meats fish dont make me feel full like meat do."

Fish and seafood do tend to be delicacy's these days which is a shame. At one time fish was cheap and plentiful where as meat was expensive. Nowadays its the opposite in the main and you have to be affluent to be able to buy many sorts of seafood with the possible exception of salmon. Its a great shame really.

over a year ago

love fish and true it is rather pricey these days. Try some of the less popular ones on display as they are much cheaper and often just a tasty. Best ask the fishmonger's advice they are the ones that know.

My fave is whiting. Light and fluffy mmmmmm.

over a year ago

"love fish and true it is rather pricey these days. Try some of the less popular ones on display as they are much cheaper and often just a tasty. Best ask the fishmonger's advice they are the ones that know.

My fave is whiting. Light and fluffy mmmmmm."

I do like smoked salmon which is far cheaper than it used to be. I will go to the fish market near the Bullring first thing in the morning when i am in the mood to see what they have that appeals. I find you really feel bloated after fish which is another advantage.

over a year ago

"love fish and true it is rather pricey these days. Try some of the less popular ones on display as they are much cheaper and often just a tasty. Best ask the fishmonger's advice they are the ones that know.

My fave is whiting. Light and fluffy mmmmmm.

I do like smoked salmon which is far cheaper than it used to be. I will go to the fish market near the Bullring first thing in the morning when i am in the mood to see what they have that appeals. I find you really feel bloated after fish which is another advantage. "

What! You have never felt me after fish.

over a year ago

I like both but rarely eat fish for some unknown reason! Perhaps I better get more in for a change instead of meat.

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

I must admit I do draw the line with eating, Jellied eels!

over a year ago

" I must admit I do draw the line with eating, Jellied eels! "
Thay are ok ... smoked eel is lovely.

over a year ago

gotta love a bit of red mullet and john dory

making home made cod cakes is good fun too

over a year ago

"gotta love a bit of red mullet and john dory

making home made cod cakes is good fun too "

yummmm i love fish cakes even crab cakes with chille dip yummmm ...

over a year ago

making home made cod cakes is good fun too yummmm i love fish cakes even crab cakes with chille dip yummmm ..."

never tried to make crab cakes, but i prefer the white meat with a little bit of the brown. i live in a town full of seafood resturaunts, living close to a Brixham in Devon we get all kinds in, rude not to try it all really :D

over a year ago

I love really good fish and chips .... if i had to pick last meal in my life would have to be ... for me really good cod and chips , x some crap ones around but when you find a good fish and chip shop real cod lovely chips ..... yummmmm i am having that for tea , lol

over a year ago

making home made cod cakes is good fun too yummmm i love fish cakes even crab cakes with chille dip yummmm ...

never tried to make crab cakes, but i prefer the white meat with a little bit of the brown. i live in a town full of seafood resturaunts, living close to a Brixham in Devon we get all kinds in, rude not to try it all really :D"

well your very lucky xxxx and a fab place is Devon xxx love it.

over a year ago

"I love really good fish and chips .... if i had to pick last meal in my life would have to be ... for me really good cod and chips , x some crap ones around but when you find a good fish and chip shop real cod lovely chips ..... yummmmm i am having that for tea , lol "

If your ever in south devon id reccomend you go to

Mitch Tonks seafood resturaunt its called 'rockfish devon'

its a posh fish n chip shop but its stunningly cooked food!

cant forget the mushy peas though :D

over a year ago

"I love really good fish and chips .... if i had to pick last meal in my life would have to be ... for me really good cod and chips , x some crap ones around but when you find a good fish and chip shop real cod lovely chips ..... yummmmm i am having that for tea , lol

If your ever in south devon id reccomend you go to

Mitch Tonks seafood resturaunt its called 'rockfish devon'

its a posh fish n chip shop but its stunningly cooked food!

cant forget the mushy peas though :D"

Thankyou for that i will go in the summer xxx as in Devon and Cornwall with family going to wright that down. And look it up on net xx

over a year ago

although it may appear a little pricey, £9.95 for cod chips and mushey peas (with a cup of tea)

ive never heard a single bad word against the place.

Seahorse resturaunt is also run by mitch tonks and is located in Dartmouth.. infact all resturaunts in dartmouth are fish based i think lol

over a year ago

"Sox been a no-meat or seafood veggie for 28yrs,,,, But I hasten to add, not for any moral reasons…….

And yup, like most veggies the smell of bacon cooking still gets me wavering every time….. gulp……. "

me too

i dont eat anything thats ever had a nose lol

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

"although it may appear a little pricey, £9.95 for cod chips and mushey peas (with a cup of tea)

Seahorse resturaunt is also run by mitch tonks and is located in Dartmouth.. infact all resturaunts in dartmouth are fish based i think lol "

I went in Squire's Fish and chip restaurant in Braunton Devon, last summer while there doing wedding job with old car.

Fish and chips, was as good as I have ever had!

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

Well, tried some fresh whelks at last, not bad at all!

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

"although it may appear a little pricey, £9.95 for cod chips and mushey peas (with a cup of tea)

Seahorse resturaunt is also run by mitch tonks and is located in Dartmouth.. infact all resturaunts in dartmouth are fish based i think lol

I went in Squire's Fish and chip restaurant in Braunton Devon, last summer while there doing wedding job with old car.

Fish and chips, was as good as I have ever had! "

it's not fish and chips... it's a fish Supper!!!!!!

over a year ago

"Fish and chips, was as good as I have ever had!

it's not fish and chips... it's a fish Supper!!!!!! "

you and your fish supper

over a year ago

"Well, tried some fresh whelks at last, not bad at all! "
yes i like them but have to be small ones as big can be a bit tufe

over a year ago

"

Aye n fae the world famous Bervie Chipper..... ya ken

over a year ago

it's not fish and chips... it's a fish Supper!!!!!! you and your fish supper"

i may have to have one now we have been on about fish and chips , lol

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

King Prawns mmmmmmmmmmmmm

over a year ago

"King Prawns mmmmmmmmmmmmm "

never thought id say this - i prefer the little ones... lol

over a year ago

it's not fish and chips... it's a fish Supper!!!!!! you and your fish supper i may have to have one now we have been on about fish and chips , lol"

I cooked them for dinner on monday

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"King Prawns mmmmmmmmmmmmm

never thought id say this - i prefer the little ones... lol "

well helooooo lol

By *inkershoes69Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

love fish but it is pricey, been buying river cobbler, looks and tastes just like smoked haddock but half the price x

over a year ago

"love fish but it is pricey, been buying river cobbler, looks and tastes just like smoked haddock but half the price x"
wow i sall look into that never had that xx see i live a learn here x

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"love fish but it is pricey, been buying river cobbler, looks and tastes just like smoked haddock but half the price x wow i sall look into that never had that xx see i live a learn here x"
some supermarkets call it basa if you cant find river cobbler, there were lots of scare stories re bad toxins in it but the bbc did tests and said it was a load of cobblers

By *inkershoes69Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

ive only found it in tesco so far x

over a year ago

went out for dinner last night for my b/day had a lovely lobster

over a year ago

"love fish but it is pricey, been buying river cobbler, looks and tastes just like smoked haddock but half the price x wow i sall look into that never had that xx see i live a learn here x some supermarkets call it basa if you cant find river cobbler, there were lots of scare stories re bad toxins in it but the bbc did tests and said it was a load of cobblers"
Aldi do frozen bassa fillets

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"love fish but it is pricey, been buying river cobbler, looks and tastes just like smoked haddock but half the price x wow i sall look into that never had that xx see i live a learn here x some supermarkets call it basa if you cant find river cobbler, there were lots of scare stories re bad toxins in it but the bbc did tests and said it was a load of cobblersAldi do frozen bassa fillets"
no way, thats cobblers

over a year ago

"love fish but it is pricey, been buying river cobbler, looks and tastes just like smoked haddock but half the price x wow i sall look into that never had that xx see i live a learn here x some supermarkets call it basa if you cant find river cobbler, there were lots of scare stories re bad toxins in it but the bbc did tests and said it was a load of cobblers Aldi do frozen bassa fillets no way, thats cobblers "
or it could be pollocks

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"love fish but it is pricey, been buying river cobbler, looks and tastes just like smoked haddock but half the price x wow i sall look into that never had that xx see i live a learn here x some supermarkets call it basa if you cant find river cobbler, there were lots of scare stories re bad toxins in it but the bbc did tests and said it was a load of cobblers Aldi do frozen bassa fillets no way, thats cobblers or it could be pollocks"
stop carping on about it

By *DD1EMan
over a year ago

sea

sea food for me every time but....

will people please stop calling it SEABASS this is a made up name by that prat rick stein for the uk market, it's called a BASS, nothing more or less just BASS.

A sea bass is a fish that is about 2" long and found on the coast of N America.

Also we have the same problem with SEABREAM, there is no such fish...it's either a RED BREAM or a BLACK BREAM end of.

You wouldn't dream of calling other fish a SEA MACKEREL, A SEA DOVER SOLE, A SEA COD a SEA SCALLOP or a SEA LOBSTER so why do it with a BASS?

Sorry folks rant over but this does really make my blood boil that people are so subceptable and influenced by what 'Celebrity Chef's' tell them.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

[Removed by poster at 09/02/11 15:10:57]

By *DD1EMan
over a year ago

sea

I also love eating crabs, when I go home I always pop along to Browe's on Paignton harbour and pick up a fresh crab.

There is also the common mis-conception that all fish is fresh, most boats go out for anything up to 5-6 days, when the catch is hauled in, it goes straight onto ice and can stay in ice for anything upto 5-6 before it gets into the shops, so unless it's a day boat the fish you eat has already been dead for anything up to a week.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Seabass has been known as Seabass in most of Southern Europe for years, I have been eating it in Italy long before Rick Stein came onto TV.

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

"sea food for me every time but....

will people please stop calling it SEABASS this is a made up name by that prat rick stein for the uk market, it's called a BASS, nothing more or less just BASS.

A sea bass is a fish that is about 2" long and found on the coast of N America.

Also we have the same problem with SEABREAM, there is no such fish...it's either a RED BREAM or a BLACK BREAM end of.

You wouldn't dream of calling other fish a SEA MACKEREL, A SEA DOVER SOLE, A SEA COD a SEA SCALLOP or a SEA LOBSTER so why do it with a BASS?

Sorry folks rant over but this does really make my blood boil that people are so subceptable and influenced by what 'Celebrity Chef's' tell them. "

AND.... it's NOT fish and chips... it's a fish SUPPER!!!

By *DD1EMan
over a year ago

sea

The form of bass we eat in this country is not a sea bass, it has cousins that that are called .......sea bass, such as black seabass, rock seabass, giant seabass and bank sea bass the only one indidginious to our shores and used by the gb public is a bass.

What I am trying to say is that it has been wrongly named for years

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

"Well, tried some fresh whelks at last, not bad at all! yes i like them but have to be small ones as big can be a bit tufe"

Yes, they can be as tough as old boots, if their over cooked!

over a year ago

Anstruther chippie, world famous fish suppers....still not as good as The Wee Chippie along the road from it though.

My pal also catches then sells crab and lobster from a little hut on Crail harbour......lovely. xx

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

Scampi!

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

Fish and chips, was as good as I have ever had!

Yes, your right!

over a year ago

i went to see a customer yesterday and was given a whole box of lobster to go home with!!!!

cant wait for david to come home so he can dress it for me

over a year ago

" ............

it's not fish and chips... it's a fish Supper!!!!!!

Yes, your right! "

When I was wee it was a fillet supper. Mind you, in those days chips cost about 6d a bag.

By *inkershoes69Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

got this vision of a lobster in gymph mask and bondage trousers now!!!!

Post new Message to Thread