Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Pierced ears

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was in a local shopping mall this weekend and noticed a young child, well baby really as it cant have been more than 6 months old, having its ears pierced. Is this legal? I was quite horrified by the sight and dont understand why anyone would want to do that to such a little baby. In my opinion this is child abuse.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I think child abuse is a little bit on the strong side but I don't agree with it either.

My mum made me wait till I was 13 before I got my ears pierced. I promptly did it again two weeks after that and several more times over the years but those were my choice.

I remember this topic being done somewhere else and it got really quite heated which I was surprised about. It's not my thing at all. I don't think it looks nice and I don't think there's a valid reason for it.

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

I agree totally,and it is child abuse.There is no defence,if the parents are already causing concern to the authorities it is noticed(mum was health visitor and i asked her a while back about this very issue)She pointed out it shows a failure of empathy that is a warning sign of a potential abuser

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

this is a big NO NO in my eyes, its just reflects on the perants that they have no common sence or feelings for there children, no wonder our kids all grow up to soon.

over a year ago

I think theres a big difference between getting a childs ears pierced and beating them black and blue/ neglecting their health care

so wouldnt quite see it as child abuse.

I personally wouldnt do it. My daughter might grow up and not want her ears pierced, but its like parents who get their children baptized or christened.. surely thats taking away some rights too.

I think on some babys it does look cute though - just my OPINION

over a year ago

'praps they just want to put kiddie on a key ring

over a year ago

hexham

"I think theres a big difference between getting a childs ears pierced and beating them black and blue/ neglecting their health care

so wouldnt quite see it as child abuse.

I personally wouldnt do it. My daughter might grow up and not want her ears pierced, but its like parents who get their children baptized or christened.. surely thats taking away some rights too.

I think on some babys it does look cute though - just my OPINION "

How exactly,both show you fail to consider causing pain to your child as unacceptable.i agree there is a difference of scale,but someone who is unable to understand their childs feelings and considers them as a thing is more likely to beat them black and blue.Child abuse escalates,from small things.

over a year ago

thats like saying im not gonna let my child be immunized, because the injections will hurt, or im not gonna let her play outside incase she falls over and grazes herself.

its just petty. Getting a childs ears pierced in my eyes is not child abuse

over a year ago

my daughter had to wait until she was 16 before having her ears pierced. i dont like seeing small children with them done ( my opinion ). and none of my children have been christened we thought they could make their own minds up as to which faith if any they followed.

over a year ago

hexham

"thats like saying im not gonna let my child be immunized, because the injections will hurt, or im not gonna let her play outside incase she falls over and grazes herself.

its just petty. Getting a childs ears pierced in my eyes is not child abuse"

You are comparing apples and oranges,if your child falls,you have not caused that pain,if you get a babies ears pierced you are deliberatly causing pain to that child.

And what is worse causing it because you feel they will be more attractive .

resists urge to being in FGM ,thats a bit like goodwinning lol

By *edhotminxWoman
over a year ago

Turn left at the Singing Ringing Tree

I know it sounds silly, but sometimes having a child's ears pierced at such a young age is part of their culture - i.e. Gypsys.

Personally I had my ears pierced when I was 11, and I made my daughter wait until she was 13.

over a year ago

If abuse is acknowledged as violating a child’s civil rights in performing permanent disfigurement or indeed when inflicting pain other than for essential medical reasons.... Surely, by association the process of Infant circumcision is questionably abusive too?

over a year ago

hexham

"If abuse is acknowledged as violating a child’s civil rights in performing permanent disfigurement or indeed when inflicting pain other than for essential medical reasons.... Surely, by association the process of Infant circumcision is questionably abusive too?

"

yup,as is argued by a variety of mens groups

over a year ago

hexham

"I know it sounds silly, but sometimes having a child's ears pierced at such a young age is part of their culture - i.e. Gypsys.

Personally I had my ears pierced when I was 11, and I made my daughter wait until she was 13.

"

True,but then FGM is acceptable in some cultures,again there is a scale difference,but i personally believe causing harm to your child for aesthetics or tradtion is wrong.Full stop.

over a year ago

whats FGM?? lol

over a year ago

"I know it sounds silly, but sometimes having a child's ears pierced at such a young age is part of their culture - i.e. Gypsys.

True,but then FGM is acceptable in some cultures,again there is a scale difference,but i personally believe causing harm to your child for aesthetics or tradtion is wrong.Full stop."

what does FGM stand for??

over a year ago

Female genital mutilation....

over a year ago

"Female genital mutilation...."

Thank you and that in my opinion is def child abuse

over a year ago

of course its child abuse,it is causing unnecessary pain to a child,obviously not to the same extent of battering a child,but pain none the less

why does a baby,toddler,or any child for that matter need artificail adornment?isnt a childs smile the most beautiful thing anyone could wish to see

over a year ago

"

why does a baby,toddler,or any child for that matter need artificail adornment?isnt a childs smile the most beautiful thing anyone could wish to see"

Totally agree, my mother made me wait till I was 21 before I could have my ears pierced, even though I was married!. My own daughter was seventeen before having hers done.

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I'm not that bothered.... unless the parents start putting Pat Butcher earrings on the brat. However, I would prefer parents to let the child make it's own choice.... which does mean waiting until the child is old enough to make a rational choice.

over a year ago

A question to the people who think this is ok. How would you feel if I, no better still, a close member of your family sat you down and made a hole in your ear just because they thought it looked cute..... I bet you would'nt like it.

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"A question to the people who think this is ok. How would you feel if I, no better still, a close member of your family sat you down and made a hole in your ear just because they thought it looked cute..... I bet you would'nt like it. "

It doesn't sound as bad as when they hack off some little boy's foreskin.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"A question to the people who think this is ok. How would you feel if I, no better still, a close member of your family sat you down and made a hole in your ear just because they thought it looked cute..... I bet you would'nt like it.

It doesn't sound as bad as when they hack off some little boy's foreskin."

I bet it's less painful to have that done when they're kids as when they're adults though!

*legs it*

over a year ago

"A question to the people who think this is ok. How would you feel if I, no better still, a close member of your family sat you down and made a hole in your ear just because they thought it looked cute..... I bet you would'nt like it.

It doesn't sound as bad as when they hack off some little boy's foreskin."

Agreed, it's all unnecessary. Tradition or not, aren't we supposed to be civilised?

over a year ago

It doesn't sound as bad as when they hack off some little boy's foreskin. Agreed, it's all unnecessary. Tradition or not, aren't we supposed to be civilised?"

My youngest son needed a circumcision for medical reasons, however he's not been christened/baptised as his religion will be his choice, although his father and I took him to church every Sunday.

over a year ago

"I bet it's less painful to have that done when they're kids as when they're adults though!

*legs it*"

its true though, its not even that bad as an adult. takes about a second to do and its then done.

doubt my daughter wouldnt resent me for life if i did get her ears pierced.

over a year ago

having the foreskin removed for medical reasons is done under sedation or anasthetic ( sorry can spell it) A brist for religious reasons is not! I would consider this far more child abuse than having a child ears pierced. foreskin doesn't grow back but you can choose to let the pierced ears close up.

You could also say that not vaccinating your children is child abuse.

Peoples opinions differ.

Personally I dont like babies having their ears pierced more for saftey reasons.

My daughter had hers done when she was 9. I warned her it would hurt that they would be sore that she would have to clean them told her it was like having an injection but she wanted it done.

I had 8 months worth of nagging to endure before I caved in.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"I bet it's less painful to have that done when they're kids as when they're adults though!

*legs it*

its true though, its not even that bad as an adult. takes about a second to do and its then done.

"

Not being funny or anything... but how do you know? Unless there's something you've not told us!

I'm sure it goes without saying I was talking about medical reasons rather than religious ones. Just in case anyone is any doubt... I think religion is a pile of shite.

I'm not saying that your child would resent you... I just don't see the point. If she wants her ears pierced when she's old enough to make that choice then fine. I don't get the purpose of piercing the ears of an infant.

over a year ago

Circumcised as an adult...jeez !!...I`ve had ear infections that sound more attractive ....

over a year ago

*legs it*

Not being funny or anything... but how do you know? Unless there's something you've not told us!

I'm sure it goes without saying I was talking about medical reasons rather than religious ones. Just in case anyone is any doubt... I think religion is a pile of shite.

I'm not saying that your child would resent you... I just don't see the point. If she wants her ears pierced when she's old enough to make that choice then fine. I don't get the purpose of piercing the ears of an infant. "

How do i know she wont resent me??? well because she's a year old and wouldnt know any different would she, long time to hold a grudge against me if she did decide when she was older 'mum you bitch cant believe you put me through that traumatic (not that i can remember it)experience when i was one'

i mean how stupid is this thread lmao

By *orestersCouple
over a year ago

The Forest

I must admit, I really don't care whether a child's owner wants to disfigure it by piercing it's ears or tattooing Mickey Mouse on it's forehead. I just wish they'd shut the bloody things up when they start screaming in supermarkets, restaurants, planes, buses - well, pretty much everywhere that I can hear it.

over a year ago

hexham

Sorry about the FGM i spent too long on feminist boards,i tend to hate ppl using jargon/

over a year ago

I think calling it child abuse is a bit harsh,but i dont agree with it,its so wrong to do that to a baby or toddler and i dont think it looks nice either.

I had to wait till i was 13 before i was allowed to have my ears pierced and my daughter pestered me from the age of 6,i gave in when she was 10 and she screamed the place down,i felt awful letting her have it done that young x

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My son had his ear pierced at 10, he had been going on at me since he started school and i said no. I didnt have him christened as i believe its an individuals choice on which/ if any religion they choose to be. I also wouldnt let him have a tattoo until he was 18 and he still thanks me when he sees the crap ones his friends have from cheap places that would do anyone and he has an excellent one from a reputable tattooist

over a year ago

there is actually no lower age limit on getting piercings done,it is left to the piercers disgression ,however with micro dermals u have to be at least 16 and between 16 and 18 and must have parental consent.

over a year ago

"there is actually no lower age limit on getting piercings done,it is left to the piercers disgression ,however with micro dermals u have to be at least 16 and between 16 and 18 and must have parental consent."

Bling my thing....oops wrong thread!

over a year ago

I wouldnt have my childs ears pierced until they were at least a teenager but I wouldnt go as far as to say that it is child abuse and no social care system would allocate a social worker to a family just because they have the baby's ears pierced. There is also no evidence to say that parents who have their baby's ears pierced go on to abuse them ie; its not a "warning sign" of future abuse.

over a year ago

"I was in a local shopping mall this weekend and noticed a young child, well baby really as it cant have been more than 6 months old, having its ears pierced. Is this legal? I was quite horrified by the sight and dont understand why anyone would want to do that to such a little baby. In my opinion this is child abuse. "

Its not something the 6 month old would have asked for. I wonder what goes on the child's notes when it has its checkups and passed on to social services.

over a year ago

"I was in a local shopping mall this weekend and noticed a young child, well baby really as it cant have been more than 6 months old, having its ears pierced. Is this legal? I was quite horrified by the sight and dont understand why anyone would want to do that to such a little baby. In my opinion this is child abuse.

Its not something the 6 month old would have asked for. I wonder what goes on the child's notes when it has its checkups and passed on to social services. "

what check ups by social services???

over a year ago

This came up the other day about kids getting ears pierced, both my mrs and myself agreed that Matilda can have hers done when she is old enough to pay for them herself, don't know why anyone would want to do this to a baby, maybe she was being entered into a baby competition

over a year ago

My youngest has her ears pierced, it was not my decision it was her fathers... ( my ex) and she had them done for her 1st birthday.

Did she suffer.. I would say no more than injections. However, now she loves them. She likes to get pretty little studs.. She is almost 5.

The reason many have them done earlier is because at that age within a very short time the actual incident is over and done with.

Is it child abuse, not according to the law no it isnt. Do I feel my daughter suffered, No not at all.. Would I have done it myself. No I wouldnt have because I feel it is a childs choice.

Would I comment to a parent I saw having it done.. No.. its their child, their choices...

Katie.x

over a year ago

"I was in a local shopping mall this weekend and noticed a young child, well baby really as it cant have been more than 6 months old, having its ears pierced. Is this legal? I was quite horrified by the sight and dont understand why anyone would want to do that to such a little baby. In my opinion this is child abuse.

Its not something the 6 month old would have asked for. I wonder what goes on the child's notes when it has its checkups and passed on to social services.

what check ups by social services???"

I think you read my post incorrectly. I didn't say checkups by social services i said passed on to social services.

A young child has regular checkups up after it has been born from either a health visitor or your doctor. You also take the child for assessment for vision, hearing and other checkups. Well they do around here.

over a year ago

Didn't they do this a lot in the olden days? I'm half Irish though so it might just have been more regular over there.

But I think, as usual, people are just over reacting. Defo not as far as child abuse. I had my foreskin hacked off as a kid but I still wouldn't say I was abused.

over a year ago

"

A young child has regular checkups up after it has been born from either a health visitor or your doctor. You also take the child for assessment for vision, hearing and other checkups. Well they do around here."

I dont think a health visitor would even comment on pierced ears unless they were infected.

Katie.

over a year ago

I had my daughters ears pierced at 6 months old and what do you know I did not go on to abuse her, end up on any register for child abuse, have to face questions from social workers... and get this....she has grown into a well balanced person who does not resent me for mutilating her.

I must just of been the lucky one!

over a year ago

"I had my daughters ears pierced at 6 months old and what do you know I did not go on to abuse her, end up on any register for child abuse, have to face questions from social workers... and get this....she has grown into a well balanced person who does not resent me for mutilating her.

I must just of been the lucky one! "

woooo hoooooo and i bet she looked very pretty with sparkly earrings too

over a year ago

"I had my daughters ears pierced at 6 months old and what do you know I did not go on to abuse her, end up on any register for child abuse, have to face questions from social workers... and get this....she has grown into a well balanced person who does not resent me for mutilating her.

I must just of been the lucky one! "

Nobody ever said you would although it is a mystery to me why any parent would choose to inflict any sort of pain on a child purely for vanity.

over a year ago

"

Nobody ever said you would although it is a mystery to me why any parent would choose to inflict any sort of pain on a child purely for vanity. "

Isn't it about having ever more highly decorated accessories - like handbags or mobile phones with dangly things or wee dogs with fancy coats and hats.

over a year ago

"

Nobody ever said you would although it is a mystery to me why any parent would choose to inflict any sort of pain on a child purely for vanity. "

Isn't it about having ever more highly decorated accessories - like handbags or mobile phones with dangly things or wee dogs with fancy coats and hats.

over a year ago

I must just of been the lucky one!

I have seen some of the clothes, hairstyles and names they inflict on a child, then they take pictures...far more damaging in my eyes.

over a year ago

Not forgetting those who want their kids to live thier dreams for them, push them into things because they want them to do something or be the best at something....so, do I feel bad about piercing my childs ears, no I dont.

And (waits for the public stoning) I did it just because I thought she would look cute with them...shock horror!

over a year ago

"Not forgetting those who want their kids to live thier dreams for them, push them into things because they want them to do something or be the best at something....so, do I feel bad about piercing my childs ears, no I dont.

And (waits for the public stoning) I did it just because I thought she would look cute with them...shock horror!"

Good for you. It's your child, its not causing long term harm... my choice was to let my kids wait.. but have to admit it didn't really bother my daughter.

I find it laughable to be likened to abuse..

KAtie x

over a year ago

I find it absolutely ridiculous to be linked with child abuse and someone else posted something about female genital mutilation - for gods sake, get real, its fecking ear piercing. Gangs of social workers and child protection police officers are not waiting outside Claire's accessories on high alert for a woman pushing a pram or pushchair into the shop.

Health visitors or doctors do not even comment on ear piercing on babies, unless to say it looks pretty, and its not written up in any notes or passed onto any authorities because its not child abuse

Post new Message to Thread